Docking ports failing to detach

I have a ship with many modules connected by docking ports - a lot of modules, because i built it with caveman restriction and had to send many small modules - and now some of them are failing to detach properly. the video shows it all. you can see that some work and some don't, seemingly at random.

those bugs have manifested recently. if I reload the last save, they are still there. if i reload an old enough save, everything works normally - it was several days ago, though, I'd rather not repeat it.

i've tried the usual stuff:

- saving and reloading does not work

- docking/undocking other parts does not work

any suggestions on how to fix?

I think there's some kind of save file hack that can resolve faulty docking ports, but I don't know what it is. One way to find out would be to create a simple rover on the surface of Kerbin with a docking port on it, then dock two of those together and check the save file to see the docking ports' status, then overwrite every other docked docking port's status with that- a text editor such as VSCode or Notepad++ is recommended for this.

1 hour ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

I think there's some kind of save file hack that can resolve faulty docking ports, but I don't know what it is. One way to find out would be to create a simple rover on the surface of Kerbin with a docking port on it, then dock two of those together and check the save file to see the docking ports' status, then overwrite every other docked docking port's status with that- a text editor such as VSCode or Notepad++ is recommended for this.

I couldn't understand what the problem was from there, but I could tamper with the file to do something more radical but easier: I took an old save, discarded the pieces of the ship that had since been discarded, made sure to have the same crew and the same amount of fuel, then copied the whole list of parts into the newer save. and it actually worked.

there'0s still one docking port that's malfunctioning, but it's not mission-critical

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/27/2022 at 11:59 AM, king of nowhere said:

caveman restriction

On 2/27/2022 at 2:34 PM, king of nowhere said:

I could tamper with the file to do something more radical but easier

Your commitment is both amazing and amusing. Even the hack to solve the bug was under caveman restrictions.  

If you want to do it in a less challenging way next time, consider using

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.