Annoying things I found in KSP

kacperrutka26

Hey everyone!

I want to tell you some annoying bugs I found in ksp, I know it's alpha but It's annoying!

The staging set up is weird, Sometimes when I have a rocket with radial decouplers and SRB the staging sets it to decouple first.

Most of the times when I take off with a successful rocket It randomly breaks into pieces, About 200m from kerbin.

Not more for now but can someone think why this is happening?

You can re-arrange the staging yourself in the VAB by dragging the icons to different sections.

If your rocket keeps falling apart, apply more struts and repeat! :D

Thing is, I add the struts but still no change and with the staging, I am a kid I don't really get it that much. I know the icons but it's quite hard for me

I'm guessing you're using clusters of the large "Mainsail" engines with the large fuel tanks? I've had a lot of problems with spacecraft collapsing in on themselves during take-off while using them no matter how many struts I use. I've given up on them for now and I'm just using the old small parts.

Hey everyone!

I want to tell you some annoying bugs I found in ksp, I know it's alpha but It's annoying!

The staging set up is weird, Sometimes when I have a rocket with radial decouplers and SRB the staging sets it to decouple first.

Most of the times when I take off with a successful rocket It randomly breaks into pieces, About 200m from kerbin.

I wouldn't really call it successful if it's exploding at 200m

I don't really know what that issue is, but if you mouse over an icon in the staging thing, it will highlight it on the rocket.

Thing is, I add the struts but still no change and with the staging, I am a kid I don't really get it that much. I know the icons but it's quite hard for me

Struts don't effect staging. These are two different issues. you can connect struts across stages and they will automatically disconnect when they need to. The ship is like an upside down tree with the command pod at the root. When you adda part, it counts the number of engines and decouplers in the path between the thing you attach it to, and the command pod, and that's the stage it ends up in (+1 for some parts). It's ok for simple rockets, but you can drag the icons around all you want so just mess with it until they are in the right order.

By 200m do you mean 200 METRES or 200 MILES?

I sure hope meters (metres in UK English :P), KSP uses the SI system, like all everyone does (with the notable exception of airlines, Burma, Liberia, and non-science/engineers in the US).

It would be quite confusing if people suddenly would be using other measurement systems while talking in a game universe that displays everything in meters/metres.

When I have a ship that breaks apart, I always check to see which part failed on the mission log (the screen that prompts you to either restart flight or return to VAB). Almost every single time this happens, it is cause by too much pressure placed on decouplers. The rockets are pushing up and the weight of the rest of the ship is pushing down, smashing the decouplers in the middle. I try to fix this by running struts from other stable parts of the ship to the decouplers themselves. For the most part, it's working, not all the time though. Check your mission log at the "catastrophic failure" menu, or by pressing f3 shortly after the collapse to see what failed first and see if you can find a way to prevent that.

Good Luck!

New large engines combined with new large tanks means stronger forces trying to crush your ship, and structural strength does NOT scale up with size. Think about this way: throw an empty coke can at the beach at 5mph, and it will just bounce. But drive a supertanker into the beach at 5mph, and it will crush. Also, as you burn fuel, you also have the same thrust applied to a decreasing mass, meaning higher G loads yet. Try throttling back once you're up and running. The first few seconds of getting off the pad are just about the only time that engines really NEED to be at full throttle.

Edited by Vanamonde

When I have a ship that breaks apart, I always check to see which part failed on the mission log (the screen that prompts you to either restart flight or return to VAB). Almost every single time this happens, it is cause by too much pressure placed on decouplers. The rockets are pushing up and the weight of the rest of the ship is pushing down, smashing the decouplers in the middle. I try to fix this by running struts from other stable parts of the ship to the decouplers themselves. For the most part, it's working, not all the time though. Check your mission log at the "catastrophic failure" menu, or by pressing f3 shortly after the collapse to see what failed first and see if you can find a way to prevent that.

Good Luck!

By 200m I meant 2000 METRES. And I think this might be the case because I looked at it once and it had a structural failure on a decoupler. I don't know How to build rockets now because I did that loads and now it just happened out of nowhere. And the staging problem is a bug in this update I think...

The staging order is sometimes messed up if you move things around, or add stuff to upper stages, but that's easy to fix by moving the stages around to where you need them to be BEFORE launch. Not that I usually remember - having my extra fuel tanks come off with the second to last stage is common :).

If your decouplers fail, put a few struts (4-6, use symmetry) between the part below the decoupler and the part above it.

By 200m I meant 2000 METRES. And I think this might be the case because I looked at it once and it had a structural failure on a decoupler. I don't know How to build rockets now because I did that loads and now it just happened out of nowhere. And the staging problem is a bug in this update I think...

2000m is nothing, can you post a screenshot of the ship?

(The Mun is 11 MILLION meters away)

There's 2 main problems I always have while playing, which would be running out of fuel after a good 30 minutes of playing, and messing up the staging and decoupling early after a good 30 minutes of playing.

I have no sympathy for the person who complains rather than taking action himself. You can't get mad about the fact that sometimes the staging messes up, but are too lazy to figure it out yourself. saying "im just a kid, its too complicated for me" will get you nowhere. if something is confusing for you, then just keep trying.

And if your rocket STILL falls apart after PLACING STRUTS THE RIGHT PLACES, then the problem is your rocket is poorly designed, and you need to rethink it.

Edited by spikeyhat09

I have no sympathy for the person who complains rather than taking action himself. You can't get mad about the fact that sometimes the staging messes up, but are too lazy to figure it out yourself. saying "im just a kid, its too complicated for me" will get you nowhere. if something is confusing for you, then just keep trying.

And if your rocket STILL falls apart after PLACING STRUTS THE RIGHT PLACES, then the problem is your rocket is poorly designed, and you need to rethink it.

I use los of struts but nothing helps, believe me it's not because I need more struts, It's a bug that rips ships apart or maybe I have a lander that is too heavy...

The most annoying thing about KSP, for me, is that it seems to enable some sort of time multiplier effect. Every time I sit down to play it, 5 minutes passes and then it's 4am and I'm stressing over different rocket designs and what the most efficient transfer method is.

I'm guessing you're using clusters of the large "Mainsail" engines with the large fuel tanks? I've had a lot of problems with spacecraft collapsing in on themselves during take-off while using them no matter how many struts I use. I've given up on them for now and I'm just using the old small parts.

The large fuel tanks are apparently held together with Elmers glue. Every crash I've had is due to a structural failure between two large tanks or a tank and engine.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.