Getting back to the Mun! A Nova-C Lunar Lander Challenge Contest

StarSlay3r

10 hours ago, James M said:

Did you make that music yourself?! I hope I won't have to do that to compete cause I have no idea how to do that yet >.< Heck video editing is a first for me too.  Ah just read the description lol. Yep. Got my work cut out for me it looks like. Back to the grindstone I go!

Yeah! Don't worry though there's no points given for making music, I just happen to do that as well. Good luck :D

Here's my entry - this is my first time attempting a challenge like this, so I'm certain there will be better videos/rockets/landings, but it was a lot of fun to try.

Several firsts for me - first time recording gameplay, first time landing a booster, first time precise landing (on both Kerbin and the Mun)

16 hours ago, csljr1 said:

Here's my entry - this is my first time attempting a challenge like this, so I'm certain there will be better videos/rockets/landings, but it was a lot of fun to try.

Several firsts for me - first time recording gameplay, first time landing a booster, first time precise landing (on both Kerbin and the Mun)

Nice job!

I have an issue with how KSP is interpreting the sizes of these things.

The structural panels are 1 m wide. Stacking four of them gives me 4 m tall, but the Engineer Report tells me this:

1GAkujj.png

The engineer report says 4.7 m tall, and over 4 m wide and over 4 m long. I added the panels on the side for comparison. I'm also using flag decals as panels. But this does not look like 4 m wide or long to me.

17 minutes ago, Gordon Fecyk said:

I have an issue with how KSP is interpreting the sizes of these things.

The structural panels are 1 m wide. Stacking four of them gives me 4 m tall, but the Engineer Report tells me this:

1GAkujj.png

The engineer report says 4.7 m tall, and over 4 m wide and over 4 m long. I added the panels on the side for comparison. I'm also using flag decals as panels. But this does not look like 4 m wide or long to me.

The answer is the flag parts! I believe the editor thinks they are always their largest size, no matter the size you set them to - so for the right dimensions read out in the bottom right, try removing the flag to check?

After procrastinating editing for a full week, I present my submission to the contest. 

Hope you like it!

PS: Should I post my craft file too?

Edited by joratto
question

8 hours ago, Gordon Fecyk said:

That confirms the sizes are correct. I hope the judges take the flag decal oddity into consideration.

Hmmm, Interesting. I will double check this (not that I don't believe you) and make sure to pass it along to the judges.

3 hours ago, Just Jim said:

I will double check this and make sure to pass it along to the judges.

Thanks so much for responding to this. I'm almost ready to film the mission. It's easy enough to check - just remove all of the decals and review the engineering report. I'll of course make the save and craft file available for inspection.

34 minutes ago, Gordon Fecyk said:

Thanks so much for responding to this. I'm almost ready to film the mission. It's easy enough to check - just remove all of the decals and review the engineering report. I'll of course make the save and craft file available for inspection.

My pleasure, they will be aware, so if a report looks a little off because of this flag issue, it will not count against anything
And thank you for bringing it to our attention!

And here we go!

Aside from it being a while since posting a video, it's also been a while since playing pure Stock, no Kerbal Engineer, no Ferram Aerospace, no anything even DLC. But here it is.

I tried to meet all of the rules, including the music which is all from the game. I'll add save file download links to this post, and I'll provide proof of eligibility to Squad staff that ask. 

Edited by Gordon Fecyk
Added save file link

On 3/15/2022 at 1:56 AM, N9 Gaming said:

My official entry via twitter, but thought I'd post here as well

I stopped myself from looking at the submissions until I finished mine. Your design went overkill on the decals - no wonder you knew. You got the appearance down, and I had no idea the decals didn't block solar panels!

On 3/5/2022 at 12:20 PM, Znath said:

Probably the nature of the prize is my thought.  Since they're flying somebody to their facility and probably tours and so on.  So this can require special insurance and legal issues. 

I always kind of err on the side of the most polite explanation so it's probably stuff like that rather than something nefarious.

Actually, that wouldn't be the issue, I am in a program called NASA HUNCH and I my team is going to the finals in Houston, TX, NASA HUNCH is specifically made for teenagers in high school, as it says in the name: High school students United with NASA to Create Hardware. Yes I understand that it is a government agency, but that doesn't really contribute to anything on restrictions. I am literally designing something plenty times in magnitude more complicated than that of something in Kerbal Space Program, we 3D print, manufacture, design, and do many more things such as using dangerous machinery like ban-saws. So a contest like this that is much safer should be able to allow people of a minimum age of 14 to go.

My 14-year old was crushed to discover that the challenge was only for 18 y.o. and up. He's apparently completed the challenge already. Any chance he could just be recognized by KSP for his efforts? He has his video ready to go.

On 3/19/2022 at 6:48 AM, joratto said:

After procrastinating editing for a full week, I present my submission to the contest. 

Hope you like it!

PS: Should I post my craft file too?

holy crud! that's awesome!

5 hours ago, Russ Stoll said:

My 14-year old was crushed to discover that the challenge was only for 18 y.o. and up. He's apparently completed the challenge already. Any chance he could just be recognized by KSP for his efforts? He has his video ready to go.

If it's anything to go by, others who know they are ineligible have posted videos of their own just for the fun of it!

11 hours ago, PeriapsisThePlatypus said:

I'm adding a submission to the contest.

Oh you went retrograde, too! Nice touch - that seemed to keep us in signal range of Kerbin during the most important parts of the mission.

12 hours ago, Gordon Fecyk said:

Oh you went retrograde, too! Nice touch - that seemed to keep us in signal range of Kerbin during the most important parts of the mission.

Yes I learned that the hard way on an early attempt. I tried some maneuvers on the far side but had no signal... Normally I have some relay satellites around so I don't notice the issue but with a fresh save it's a must!

Here's my entry to the challenge. Hope folks to mind my yakking the whole time! Tried to really talk through the process of the mission. Thanks again to the KSP and IM folks for hosting and offering the prize! Now, off to go see some of the other entries. I suspect there's some cool ones out there!