Getting back to the Mun! A Nova-C Lunar Lander Challenge Contest

StarSlay3r

4 hours ago, JTpopcorn said:

I'd like to ask a few additional questions:

- Is there a min/max duration requirement for the video?

- Cuts vs. a single continuous take required? Or is video formatting up to us?

- Quicksaves acceptable?

To add to this question, I'd also like to ask the following:

• Is hiding the UI acceptable for producing video clips? It'd be nice to include cinematic shots of the F9/Nova-C throughout the various stages of the mission. Of course, this will hide any evidence of active modifications/autopilots. However, the original clips could be retained to prove flight authenticity if chosen as a finalist.
  • For the sake of the contest, I would assume that using the Innovative Machines logo within the video via the use of custom flags is permitted. Would this be allowed?

Quicksaves would be a fair and practical way to complete the landing of the F9 first stage while continuing the second stage insertion.

Edited by gigem

2 hours ago, Ace69gates said:

So to clarify here, Can we use breaking ground parts?

No, unfortunately.

7 hours ago, gigem said:

For the sake of the contest, I would assume that using the Innovative Machines logo within the video via the use of custom flags is permitted. Would this be allowed?

Yes, they did say you can use custom flags.

Q: Is there a min/max duration requirement for the video?
A: There's no hard min/max for this, however if you can submit something in the 5-15 minute range that would be ideal. What's important is that all of the key points for this challenge are fully shown, most importantly the actual landings, and that we get a good look at your Nova-C craft. 

Q: Cuts vs a single continuous take required? Or is video formatting up to us?
A: Formatting is up to you, but make sure that you include all of the important key points from launch to landing to ensure you get all of the points you're eligible for. You can refer to our Perseverance Landing Challenge thread if you'd like to see some examples of how people formatted their videos specifically for that. 

Q: Is hiding the UI acceptable for producing video clips? It'd be nice to include cinematic shots of the F9/Nova-C throughout the various stages of the missions.
A:  We prefer to see the UI, but hiding it here and there to get some nice screenshots or video clips is ok. 

Q: For landing the Falcon 9, does it have to be on the same save, or can we save, land the rocket, then reload the save to before we landed so we can pilot the second stage / lander?
A: It's ok to save, land the lower stage/booster as best as possible, then reload and continue, but massive props and respect goes out to anyone that is able to do it (and prove it) without saving and reloading.

Q:  Can we use breaking ground parts?
A: No, no DLC is allowed for this challenge.

Q: I would assume that using the Innovative Machines logo within the video via the use of custom flags is permitted. Would this be allowed?
A: Yes, this would be allowed. Custom flags are allowed.

On 3/1/2022 at 11:59 AM, KSPStar said:

Up to 40 Points for landing safely at the right location.

So, how is the "up to 40 Points" scored? My gut reaction was the closer to the target coordinates the better, but that's not really realistic to the IM-1 Mission. The real mission is more about finding a safe landing space within the 1 degree range. So I started to think it would be more accurate to find a level spot free of boulders while on the fly within the 1 degree range and put the lander down there. Any official guidance? Thanks!

10 hours ago, Matt Lowne said:

Here's my entry. Unfortunately I live in Freehealthcareland™ so can't actually enter this - hopefully my video can serve as inspiration for others!

https://youtu.be/km0Gffwpa_s

Ur lander also uses DLC. I haven't watched the video yet so if you pointed that out sorry.

On 3/1/2022 at 11:44 PM, Madrocketman said:

for the benefit of everyone participating

screenshot3015screenshot3016

screenshot3017screenshot3018

General tips:

-Slope is about 18 degrees, so be prepared for landers tilting if you are not soft enough

-About 1800 meters above sea level

Hummmm! could you put an arrow to the exact area or maybe a circle around the spot they think the landing area is at? and is your second capture the landing area?.

Toki 

10 hours ago, ButtonSpammer5 said:

Question: if a minor competes and wins, with parental consent would we be allowed to go? Is it a hard 18 years only? If not, what is the bottom age? Would a minor be able to go if parents/guardians paid their own way? 

The minimum age is 18 (or the age of majority in their state territory of residence if it is greater than 18). Anyone that does not meet the age requirement can not win. (They would be disqualified) 
Official Rules

On 3/10/2022 at 5:36 PM, JetPulse said:

So, how is the "up to 40 Points" scored? My gut reaction was the closer to the target coordinates the better, but that's not really realistic to the IM-1 Mission. The real mission is more about finding a safe landing space within the 1 degree range. So I started to think it would be more accurate to find a level spot free of boulders while on the fly within the 1 degree range and put the lander down there. Any official guidance? Thanks!

As long as you're within that 1 degree range, you'll get the full 40 points. Points will be deducted for those outside of that range. 

I get the legal reasons for the 18 age limit, but it would be a shame that there are only a few eligible submissions for this challenge just because of age.

Especially for a game that which the majority audience are minors. There are a lot of adult players yes, but most players are minors. 

Edited by Madrocketman

10 hours ago, N9 Gaming said:

This was fun! My official entry via twitter, but thought I'd post here as well (:

Great job! I'm glad we have a submission.

Edited by Madrocketman

23 hours ago, N9 Gaming said:

This was fun! My official entry via twitter, but thought I'd post here as well (:

Did you make that music yourself?! I hope I won't have to do that to compete cause I have no idea how to do that yet >.< Heck video editing is a first for me too.  Ah just read the description lol. Yep. Got my work cut out for me it looks like. Back to the grindstone I go!

Edited by James M