38.7t fully reusable, stock part mission to the Moon in RSS

moar ssto

I recently edited out the clips of a mission done one and a half years ago. While there are claims of fully reusable lunar missions done with stock parts predating this mission way back, they relied on splitting the timeline during stage separation, so in their respective timeline, either the booster crashes, or the payload never reaches orbit.  To my knowledge, this was the first stock craft, based on mission finish date, able to finish a fully reusable mission beyond LEO in RSS(there is a interplanetary SSTO launched earlier, but I only managed to finish the mission after this was done due to a mission extension and some complications with the Kraken).  It was based off of some earlier sstos, being scaled down to basically just be able to get up to leo with the lunar lander., so payload fraction  wasn't high, just below 2%(at least 4.2% can be attained on large, stock part conventional wing sstos in RSS). The three solar panels were clipped into two, solar panels don't occlude each other from sunlight in this scenario. As for the mass, this mission was done before I along with others discovered magic wings, if this was done now, the mass would be way lower, probably around 2t, which I might explore in the future. Magic or conventional, there is a lot of design space and optimisation to explore with stock SSTOs in RSS.

Edited by moar ssto

14 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

This report of a mission has been moved to Mission Reports. And congratulations. ;)

Thank you

14 hours ago, Entropian said:

Impressive!  I'm working on something that requires similar characteristics to this craft; would you mind uploading the craft file so that I can see exactly how you managed to design this?

Thank you. Yes, I can, but how do I upload craftfile, or otherwise send the file to you?

3 hours ago, moar ssto said:

Thank you. Yes, I can, but how do I upload craftfile, or otherwise send the file to you?

You can upload it to KerbalX, Dropbox, or any other file-sharing network and just post/DM the link.  Once again, impressive mission!

55 minutes ago, Entropian said:

You can upload it to KerbalX, Dropbox, or any other file-sharing network and just post/DM the link.  Once again, impressive mission!

I think I had issues with uploading things to kerbal x in the past.

Edited by moar ssto

10 hours ago, camacju said:

very impressive! 

Thank you

15 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

What kind of issues? The guy who runs it would like to know. 

It was quite a while ago so I don't know the details, but I was stuck at the upload craft menu.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.