Why is the ground so slippery, and what can I do about it?

Using some of the stock wheels, I find that the ground is very slippery. But the Packrat wheels from USI Exploration don't have this problem.  Is there a mod to correct the slipperiness of the terrain?  I have Kerbal Foundries installed, among 158 other mods.

Excellent question.  I too have big problems with the slippery ground everywhere.  Planes that can't take off and rockets that slide for a kilometer after landing. 

This is a failed takeoff attempt.  By the time I got it all set to go, it was pointed off the runway.

Er3mCiZ.jpg

37 minutes ago, miklkit said:

Excellent question.  I too have big problems with the slippery ground everywhere.  Planes that can't take off and rockets that slide for a kilometer after landing. 

This is a failed takeoff attempt.  By the time I got it all set to go, it was pointed off the runway.

Er3mCiZ.jpg

I don't know of an ideal solution, but right-clicking on the part and setting the braking and traction sliders can make a difference.  Setting the brake can make a difference if the braking slider is adjusted up enough and you are mistaking rolling for sliding.  There are mods that add a "parking brake" to command pods that will stop sliding also.  Or maybe that is a stock thing.  I have so many mods I'm not sure.  But it seems to be a feature of a 1.12.2,3-ish KSP version if it is stock. My game machine is down so can't verify, sorry

Setting the friction slider up helps and can even stop the sliding around, but at the cost of making things flip and crash.  Setting brakes higher has no effect on the sliding around while stopped for me.

44 minutes ago, miklkit said:

Setting the friction slider up helps and can even stop the sliding around, but at the cost of making things flip and crash.  Setting brakes higher has no effect on the sliding around while stopped for me.

Yeah, I mentioned it only makes a difference if rolling is being misdiagnosed as sliding and the brake is set (click the brake thing in the altimeter widget top of  screen).  I have rovers keep rolling for a long time on Minmus with brakes on if the braking slider was very low

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.