Why Nuclear War Is.... A MAD Scenario

Spacescifi

1 hour ago, steve9728 said:

Instead of discussing the crisis of a possible nuclear war in the future, we already have a nuclear safety crisis at hand: a powerful earthquake measuring 7.4 on the Richter scale struck the waters off Fukushima, Japan, on the 16th of this month.  Given the history of the earthquake that affected the Fukushima nuclear power plant 11 years ago,and by delaying and withholding information, TEPCO made a Level 3 nuclear accident into Level 7. It is reasonable to assume that we are facing a considerable threat of nuclear contamination.

And because of ocean currents, if a nuclear facility on the east coast of Japan were to be affected and cause a nuclear leak, East Asia will not be the first place to be affected.

1 hour ago, steve9728 said:

Instead of discussing the crisis of a possible nuclear war in the future, we already have a nuclear safety crisis at hand: a powerful earthquake measuring 7.4 on the Richter scale struck the waters off Fukushima, Japan, on the 16th of this month.  Given the history of the earthquake that affected the Fukushima nuclear power plant 11 years ago,and by delaying and withholding information, TEPCO made a Level 3 nuclear accident into Level 7. It is reasonable to assume that we are facing a considerable threat of nuclear contamination.

And because of ocean currents, if a nuclear facility on the east coast of Japan were to be affected and cause a nuclear leak, East Asia will not be the first place to be affected.

Dunno why that q'd 2x.

The 'leak at a reactor' scenario, while frightening, isn't actually all that dangerous comparatively.  

We are in a scenario, where for the first time since... perhaps the Kennedy/Khruschev administrations where the risk of intentional use of nuclear weapons is a real possibility.

2 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Dunno why that q'd 2x.

The 'leak at a reactor' scenario, while frightening, isn't actually all that dangerous comparatively.  

We are in a scenario, where for the first time since... perhaps the Kennedy/Khruschev administrations where the risk of intentional use of nuclear weapons is a real possibility.

-What's the craziest word you've ever learned?
-Ocean background radiation

6 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Allow me to point out that he's using the same PPE as you use you protect yourself against sawdust. 

@steve9728

...but they eat the raw fish. Actually, even befor the pandemic, many of them wore masks usually: because many Japnese are allergic to pollen.

At 2017 I was been Japan for one month with my parents. My mum and dad have several Japaness colleagues who used to work together. What they suggest was: do a double check about the milk or rice or anything was produced by which part of Japan before we buy it, and try not to eat fish in Japan if you don't really have to, espeically the raw sea fish.

One of them is my dad's best friend and that guy can speak mandarin without any accent. The "try not to eat fish" advice was from his mouth.

-The logic of a normal person: it is true that there is a high probability that peeing in the pool will not affect the health of others, but I still won't do it: after all, it's basic common sense for a human being and I'm in the water too.

-The logic of TEPCO: you can't get sick in short time anyway, so I'll pee everytime in there if I swin in there.

Edited by steve9728

3 hours ago, steve9728 said:

-The logic of a normal person: it is true that there is a high probability that peeing in the pool will not affect the health of others, but I still won't do it: after all, it's basic common sense for a human being and I'm in the water too.

-The logic of TEPCO: you can't get sick in short time anyway, so I'll pee everytime in there if I swin in there.

I don’t think it is entirely similar because the radiation level is still very low. Rather than peeing in the pool, it’s more like force feeding processed food daily instead of organic. Still bad though.

Even if it is safe though, I don’t support the dumping decision. Tohoku’s, if not wider Japan’s fishing industry is in for a tough time… and they didn’t get a say in the matter.

14 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

There are various mechanisms in place to prevent this.

Before declaring a threat of nuclear conflict, we need to get into a conflict in the first place. I haven’t a scenario where that can happen right now, and the current situation certainly isn’t one.

On the other hand, if feces impacts the cooling device over a certain island off the coast of mainland China… I am not hopeful about the outcome.

2 minutes ago, SunlitZelkova said:

I haven’t a scenario where that can happen right now, and the current situation certainly isn’t one.

On the other hand, if feces impacts the cooling device over a certain island off the coast of mainland China… I am not hopeful about the outcome.

I agree that the likelihood is low; what I don't like is the rattling of that particular saber.  That was, not only odd, it was unnecessary.  Kind of like me looming over a 4th grader and then saying "I'm bigger than you."  (something both odd, unnecessary, and creepily threatening).

Interesting that you assess the second part of your quote as a particular possibility; I've not read that situation as 'going there.'

On 3/18/2022 at 9:43 AM, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

I agree that the likelihood is low; what I don't like is the rattling of that particular saber.  That was, not only odd, it was unnecessary.  Kind of like me looming over a 4th grader and then saying "I'm bigger than you."  (something both odd, unnecessary, and creepily threatening).

The same thing occurred in reverse (albeit in secret) during the Vietnam War. It isn't really that out of place.

On 3/18/2022 at 9:43 AM, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Interesting that you assess the second part of your quote as a particular possibility; I've not read that situation as 'going there.'

It is like if the Cuban Missile Crisis was the Florida Missile Crisis.

Here’s the thing though, nuclear war won’t happen, countries build nukes to show how big and strong they are and to scare foreign opponents. All of the nuclear powers know that even a limited nuclear exchange could kill millions, so if war between the superpowers does break out (which it won’t) it will most likely be conventional. So while the war would still be terrible it would not be the end of all humanity

Here's another thing, though, @SSTO Crasher: too much ink and money has been spent on designing concepts and ordnance for a limited nuclear war for limited nuclear war to be completely implausible. And you can do anything with a bayonet except sit on it.

10 hours ago, SSTO Crasher said:

Here’s the thing though, nuclear war won’t happen, countries build nukes to show how big and strong they are and to scare foreign opponents. All of the nuclear powers know that even a limited nuclear exchange could kill millions, so if war between the superpowers does break out (which it won’t) it will most likely be conventional. So while the war would still be terrible it would not be the end of all humanity

Never say never. There is a disturbing tendency for crazy people to find their way into positions of power…

23 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Never say never. There is a disturbing tendency for crazy people to find their way into positions of power…

I think the crux of the issue is that there is a tendency for just people in general to be crazy.

Hence the calls for a certain multinational military organization to intervene in a certain conflict involving a certain nuclear power.

2 minutes ago, SunlitZelkova said:

Hence the calls for a certain multinational military organization to intervene in a certain conflict involving a certain nuclear power.

*sniff sniff* I smell a moderator around waiting to pounce… 

Unfortunately that is likely to trigger what the world wants to avoid

On 3/18/2022 at 5:12 AM, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Allow me to point out that he's using the same PPE as you use you protect yourself against sawdust.

Navy story: One of my buddies in the Navy went to prototype in Idaho at the Idaho National Laboratory, where the Naval Reactors prototype facility operated along side a bunch of reactors operated by other government agencies and civilian contractors. So at one point the prototype my friend was attending for training needed to borrow a maintenance jig from another civilian-run facility. The other facility ran under NRC rules, which were much less stringent in their definition of what constituted "contaminated". So the civilians brought the jig over to the boundary of the Naval Reactors facility, pushing it on a cart in their jeans and T-shirts. And handed it off to the naval personnel who were wearing full yellow anti-contamination suits with gloves and booties. He said it felt sort of surreal.

54 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

Navy story: One of my buddies in the Navy went to prototype in Idaho at the Idaho National Laboratory, where the Naval Reactors prototype facility operated along side a bunch of reactors operated by other government agencies and civilian contractors. So at one point the prototype my friend was attending for training needed to borrow a maintenance jig from another civilian-run facility. The other facility ran under NRC rules, which were much less stringent in their definition of what constituted "contaminated". So the civilians brought the jig over to the boundary of the Naval Reactors facility, pushing it on a cart in their jeans and T-shirts. And handed it off to the naval personnel who were wearing full yellow anti-contamination suits with gloves and booties. He said it felt sort of surreal.

Only as surreal as restaurants requiring you to wear a mask while you're going to your table and while you're leaving, but in-between the virus can't infect you.

To mods: this is no longer a controversial matter. All masking requirements have been waived as cases crater; coronavirus has been cancelled in favor of a "special military operation".

6 minutes ago, DDE said:

o mods: this is no longer a controversial matter. All masking requirements have been waived as cases crater; coronavirus has been cancelled in favor of a "special military operation".

So when the war is over we return to our regularly scheduled pandemic? Oh wait, famine is likely to be at bat next…

59 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

So when the war is over we return to our regularly scheduled pandemic? Oh wait, famine is likely to be at bat next…

Plague, war, famine... what are the wild beasts going to look like?

There are also the locusts that look exactly like zerglings!! We will get to play real life Starcraft!!

https://geekologie.com/2012/09/dammit-mother-nature-what-flies-with-scor.php

scorpion-fly-5.jpg

https://www.ecured.cu/Notiothauma_reedi

300px-McLachlan,_1877.jpg

I just realized why the zenomorphs have a human face/skull hidden in their dome skull... They are based on the same locust description.

Edited by Arugela

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.