Deployable Science Issue

Version:  1.8.1

DLC:  Making History, Breaking Ground

I'll ask this here in General, even though the copy of the install I'm playing in is modded (I don't think this is a mod question/issue).  Anyhow, I am trying to do deployable science for the first time ever, and I'm running into a problem.  If you take a look at the below screenshot, you'll see that I have a deployed control station, photovoltaic panel, communotron, and the seismic experiment.  The experiment was deployed by the Kerbal scientist in the background, while the other 3 were deployed by Jogan, the active engineer Kerbal.  The panel shows that it is producing power (2 units), while the other 3 components all show that they each need 1 unit of power to function.  I am aware that I am producing 2 units and need 3, so I know that I will need another panel setup in order to get all the power needed for the whole thing here.  But why are all of these showing that they are connected but unpowered?  I have zero comm signal, even though I'm literally less than a Kerbal half-jump away from the lander (which has a drone on it for SAS purposes), and I've got multiple satellites in orbit over Minmus.  Everything shows both deployed and enabled, as well as all being connected.  Again, I realize I need 1 more unit of power to get all 3 modules working, but I don't think that being underpowered is the issue (I can pick up any part and still nothing is powered).

What have I done wrong?  I deployed these with the appropriate personnel to get the best benefit, I'm definitely within range of the lander, I have satellites in orbit of Minmus, the sun is out and shining, the Kerbals haven't eaten all the snacks...but nothing.  Anybody know why this is happening here?

wzBCZST.png

The screenshot is a bit small to really see the menus, I'm afraid.

But as far as the setup as it is goes, the result you're getting is normal. There is not enough power. Each of the three consumers requests 1 but receives 0.667, so none of them work. The communotron is offline, the control station is offline, and the science experiment is offline. Ergo, the fact that they show as connected but unpowered is perfectly normal, and the fact that you have no control signal is perfectly normal.

Now, you say you can undeploy any one of them and the situation doesn't change? That sounds less normal.

Could you undeploy the seismometer and leave the control station, solar panel, and communotron deployed? Make a screenshot of that, ideally a somewhat larger one, so that the menus are clearly legible.

@Streetwind

I'm not sure why the image is so small; I used the same technique to get this here that I've done for every other image I've ever posted.  Weird.

Anyhow, I'll do some more testing with picking up the science experiment itself and see what happens.  If it is a power issue, then, well, duh on me.  But I'll let you know!

@Streetwind

You were correct; it was a power issue.  I brought a few more panels up there, and once they were deployed I started to very slowly collect ground science.  And I mean SLOWLY.  Like, is there any actual point to doing this?  I think not; from this point on, I just won't collect ground science as I cannot see how this is worth the effort.  I love the inventory system, but the ground science just isn't worth the effort, you know?

Anyhow, thanks!

It's intentionally something you leave behind. Don't even bother waiting for it. You don't need a Kerbal present to operate the equipment. Once deployed, it operates by itself. Everytime an experiment collects (I think) 10% worth of progress, it auto-transmits as soon as it can find a valid signal path home. You'll get a notification every time it happens.

The point of these experiments is that you take them with you whenever you first land on a new celestial body, set them up, and leave them behind. Over time you get science passively accumulating in the background. Given that there are 14 different land-able bodies in stock KSP alone, all of which you can put these stations on, that adds up.

And when a high level scientist deploys these things, it goes three to four times faster.

Edited by Streetwind

The deployed science gubbins is well worth the effort- taking the stuff there isn’t a significant burden, deploying it is easy and after that you can forget about it and let the science trickle in while you time warp between missions. The only exception is the passive seismometer, which requires you to actively crash stuff into the planet/moon/whatever Dres is to get data; a few well-aimed transfer stages can do that for you without much trouble- this was done by several of the Apollo missions with the third stage of the Saturn V to get readings from seismometers deployed by previous landings.

Edited by jimmymcgoochie

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.