Spiderweb Gun

Spacescifi

In theory it is possible to make a gun that shoots spider web or a synthetic or engineered equivalent.

Unlike Spiderman's web shooters a webbing gun would be used mostly for esnaring it's victims.

I am not entirely sure what it would take to make scaled up webbing shoot properly through a gun-like device nor am I sure anyone has tried.

Nonetheless it would have novel applications

Imagine a sticky webbing shot out to spread and ensnare the legs.

A criminal runs but his legs are caught and he falls.... or the webbing merely sticks to his legs.... but also is stuck to the ground, so the criminal is as well until the police catch up with him.

Just thought webbing guns could be far more realistic than spiderman's tiny web shootere.

A webbing gun would be a medium to big gun, and I am rather certain organic webbing at this scale is a no-go, so likely some synthetic variant with much the same properties could be made.

After all we make thread and clothing from plastic (polyester), so making a sort of synthetic webbing should be possible.

Edited by Spacescifi

10 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

The net throwers exist and are used since at least 1970s.

Along with the modern net thrower, Bolas have been used for millennia.  One of their uses was to take down cattle.   While a sticky web like substance has some advantages, a simpler approach also has a lot utility.

I think the "web" part is the easy part (see amusing videos above).

It's the "sticky" part that I think is really difficult. I think there is a limit to how strong something can be made to stick quickly for a given surface area. Not only that, but you'd somehow have to engineer the fluid to be "shootable" to even be practical in any of these scenarios.

In the use-case of incapacitating an individual I think existing options are easier and more practical than trying to limit a person's mobility. Tasers and area-denial technologies can disorient or incapacitate people without trying to directly restrict their movement.

I'm not sure if you could make Spider-Mans web shooters even with unlimited technical capabilities, it might be against the laws of physics IMO haha

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.