Adventures with WildBlueIndustries - Blueshift and Kerbal Flying Saucers

Ooglak Kerman

Aboard WS-8675309 "Hold Mah Beer"

Jeb:  "Hey boys..  Ya know that there are them alien ring thingies all over the system?  Unclaimed!"
Bob: "Why me??  You know that the law of improbable occurrences dictates that someone/thing will come through while we are attached?"
Bill:  "Aye.  Nae good, Jeb"
Jeb: "Improbable!  Unlikely!  Lets go have a look!"

At Tylo Station

Valentina and Thomus aboard the Warp Tanker are shown here fueling up Tylo Station.  It was sent to the Jool system with minimum gravatic resources since refueling it at Tylo was more efficient than doing so at Kerbin.  Due to the capacity of Tylo Station, it will be an important fuel depot for the entire Jool system.

Spoiler

I6UzVxW.png

Afterward, off to one of the graviolium harvesters in Jool orbit to replenish the graviolium tanks.

Spoiler

rIuplze.png

Spoiler

GICKOpl.png

Labro and Muncott aboard the Jool Fuel Shuttle have been stationed in the Jool system for some time and now have the opportunity for some socialization and Bill and Jebs ice cream.

Spoiler

xxU6DtP.png

Edited by Ooglak Kerman

From The Kerbin Admiralty: Upgraded Orbital Space Station

Building upon lessons learned and input from the crew of Tylo Station, The Admiralty has improved upon the design of that station.  Shown here during initial launchpad trials, the station features:

• Sickbay moved to a more central, protected location
  • Truss reinforcements were added to crew tubes to make them look more rugged and space stationy
  • Armored, shielded emergency refuge modules at crew tube junctures in case of radiation storms or punctures of the main vessel areas
  • A galley for crew members who are tired of snacks from a tube
  • A small gym to work off those delicious fried potato plants
  • Observation modules to look out into the vastness of space and...... ahhhhhhh... huh... what??
  • Cupola modules to watch round and rotating science as it is happening while not being TOO close
Spoiler

3rViRPW.png

• A rotating habitat/greenhouse/science lab in the main habitation portion of the station where crew can enjoy partial gravity and grow plants that do not prosper in micro-gravity
  • A rotating advanced science lab positioned away from the main habitat portion where experiments requiring partial gravity can be accomplished
  • Seats may be placed on the outside of the science centrifuge if there is interest in an orbital merry go round
  • Substantial resource refining and production capacity for long term self-sufficiency
Spoiler

TRu8Cw7.png

• Greatly uprated solar power generation capacity.  Solar capacity should be able to power a residential cul-de-sac as far out as Urlum.
  • Solar upgrade now includes the latest 2-axis panels that will provide another dynamic aspect to zero-g parkour around the station
Spoiler

T8m83gS.png

• Immense communications capability that will allow the crew to be able to play "Earth Space Program" from the furthest reaches of the Kerbol system and beyond.
Spoiler

eOdsYkH.png

This station and its warp capable counterpart will be key to the efforts of The Admiralty to reach for the stars for all Kerbalkind.

Edited by Ooglak Kerman

From The Kerbin Admiralty: Warp Capable Graviolium Harvesting Station

Rounding errors by junior scientists at The Admiralty R&D center have been discovered.  Correction of these errors show that the graviolium utilization for warp ships traveling interstellar distances are far greater than previously estimate.  Vessels traveling to Nova Kerbani will need orders of magnitude more graviolium than previously thought.

So, The Admiralty will be launching WG-50 "Just A Wafer Thin Slice" to Jool orbit to take advantage of the plentiful exoatmospheric graviolium available there.

In addition to a rugged truss structure that says this station means business and extravagant graviolium harvesting and storage capacity, it features capacious living quarters that include artificial partial gravity, multiple greenhouse modules, a sickbay, a crew gym, and galley.  Since the two junior scientists responsible for the error that necessitates this station were "dreaming of the stars" it is hoped they will enjoy their view of the stars - and Jool in particular - for the next couple of years.

The size of this station makes it impractical to tow to Jool orbit and so the decision was made to make it warp capable.  Initial estimates are that it will be capable of interplanetary speeds of about 2C.

Spoiler

kEZRkdJ.png

Edited by Ooglak Kerman

Graviolium harvesting station WG-50 "Just A Wafer Thin Slice" is shown here approaching Jool under warp power.  In the meantime, the two junior scientists whose rounding error for graviolium utilization necessitated construction of this vessel will be given mathematical and practical problems to solve as well as running the science module, sickbay module, and galley.  And cleaning the gym module.

Spoiler

BQuVwvl.png

WG-50 settled in orbit at Jool and graviolium harvesting has commenced

Spoiler

BO13ywF.png

Scientist Samke - shown below - has been given a simple practical problem.  That of predicting the air supply in his EVA suit.  All station airlocks are locked until 30 seconds before his air supply is anticipated (by him) to be exhausted.  Good luck Samke!

Spoiler

1tSlTCN.png

Edited by Ooglak Kerman

Scientist Santop - also a member of the dynamic rounding error duo - has been given the EVA suit air supply challenge, but with the added challenge of cleaning the spacedust from the windows of the command module.  The view of Jool and the other moons is impeded.  Can't be having that!

Spoiler

apTUWWX.png

From The Kerbin Admiralty: Warp Capable Urlum Station

The Admiralty continues to build upon lessons learned from previous ships and stations and has come to the conclusion that it is time to expand further into the Kerbol system with craft capable of long term, deep space capabilities.  WG-51 "Moon Pie and RC Koka Kola" will be dispatched to the Urlum system to test deep space habitability and to research the exoatmospheric Graviolium deposits that are thought to be available for harvesting in Urlum orbit.  As The Admiralty prepares for the push to interstellar space, it is vital the ships be capable of self-support for extended periods of time.

WG-51 features substantial graviolium harvesting and storage capacity and the crew amenities that have become the hallmark of the latest generation of ships and stations of The Admiralty.

Spoiler

i1Uw0ji.png

On board KWT-1 "Gimme Some", it's another run to to the Jool system to WG-50 "Just A Wafer Thin Slice" to bring graviolium back to the big orbital storage depot at Kerbin in preparation for the big push to Nova Kerbani.

Spoiler

MLPDqIi.png

And as they were preparing to warp out of the system, they received orders from The Admiralty.  Make best speed to Plock.  Orbit and get science.

"Huh" thought Val.  "That's not at all specific.  Wonder what's up."

After warping across the entire system, they entered orbit at Plock in a 250KM orbit.  Shown here with its satellite Karen in the background.

Spoiler

ftZAD1V.png

"Hey Thomus..  All they said was to get science.  Science is available on the surface - yes?"
"Achh.  Cheeky lass.  What dae Sweetie and Methusaleh hae tae say?"  referring to their warp drive and the warp sentient sharing Vals mind.
"Well..  How about it you two.  Are we good?"
::I have confidence in you, Valentina and Methusaleh.  We are a fine team:: replied Sweetie
~~Sweetie is correct~~ came the voice in Vals head ~~Let us be the first~~
"There we are, Thomus.  Shall we?"
"Aye lass.  Lets be to it"

"Well... I think we've solved the argument about if Plock is a planet or just a lump of ice.  And we seem to have sunk into the surface a little.  Well... science they said.  I'll go get some and check out the situation"

Spoiler

b3eahlC.png

"Huh.  Definitely not some lump of ice wandering around Kerbol.  We're sunk in a little, but still oozing down hill.   Not too bad.  Thinking we don't want to dilly dally though."

Edited by Ooglak Kerman

"Well.. Karen seems to be firmer than Plock.  But wow.. I thought Dres was sort of boring" quipped Valentina
"And.. get science.  With what?  Sweetie.. when you get the refit we'll get you a full science suite also."
::I would like that, Valentina.  Our task of ferrying resources has been important but boring::

Spoiler

CCa182G.png

"Space Center this is Karen Station.  We have accomplished science with the available instruments.  We are pleased to report that if you pick up a rock and drop it, the rock falls to the surface.  Karen Station out"
"Achh lassie.  Cheeky"

Edited by Ooglak Kerman

Meanwhile, Urlum Station WG-51 "Moon Pie and RC Koka Kola" has been launched and is on its way to do science and graviolium prospecting in the Urlum system.  Since it is capable of only 1.8 C, the trip from Kerbin to Urlum took more than 15 minutes.  You know this station means business though - with its tuff and rugged truss structure and spinny-ma-bob habitat thinger and lights and antennas.

Spoiler

JQMh1uv.png

Arrival at the Urlum system and carefully working inward toward to find the anticipated graviolium belt.  Warp cutoff altitude at Urlum is 2,100 KM so careful management of the residual velocity vectors is important.  You want your vector to take you directly away in case you hit warp cutoff.

Spoiler

SfTsm5W.png

The Kerbin League of Smart Technologists got it right.  Acceptable graviolium concentration has been found at 2,200 KM which will allow warp ships to rendezvous efficiently as long as their pilots don't get it wrong.
Science research and graviolium harvesting is underway.  The moon Polta- which is well outside the orbit of the station - is seen just to the right of Urlum.

Spoiler

OusFIZO.png

Edited by Ooglak Kerman

The success of the Urlum Station has encouraged the Kerbin Admiralty to accelerate plans for a station at Neidon.  And so WG-52 "Long Ago And Far Away" was dispatched to the Neidon system to collect science  and prospect for graviolium,

Spoiler

lUSEnsp.png

Using the same techniques as at Urlum station, excellent graviolium  concentrations were found at 2,260KM.  There were greater concentrations closer to Neidon, but at unacceptably close altitude to warp cutoff.
Neidon Station along with Urlum Station will provide excellent long term habitability information in preparation to the interstellar push.

Spoiler

lI6Yos6.png

Edited by Ooglak Kerman

• 2 weeks later...

"Another day.. another day" thought Pilot-0 Leah "Offload graviolium coming in from orbit on the resource shuttle"

Spoiler

5TYwI0z.png

"and haul it over to the big storage tank"

Spoiler

cZXzqp3.png

"Then over to the big processors for xenon gas and fusion pellets.  Try not go get ground up by the drill.  Wash, rinse, repeat.  Sure hope I get to fly a ship some time."

Spoiler

oasErkz.png

"Wonder what that strange ring is over there.  It's got a lot of odd writing on it.  Kinda wonky how they just dumped it off a truck and then it set itself up.   Lotta strange things happening around here for sure.  I expect I'll find out soon enough."

Spoiler

Li3LQ8D.png

Edited by Ooglak Kerman

"Well..  these are interesting orders" said Pilot-0 Leah to herself "load 220 units of graviolium to the ship on the launchpad.  Gotta be for whatever is under that fairing.  Hmmm."

Spoiler

BJjEXaH.png

"and then clear the pad to a safe distance for the launch.  Ok.  This is probably safe and is a good view"

Spoiler

NR64lXD.png

"Ok.  That's cool.  I'd say that mission is going to either Mun or Minmus.  220 units of graviolium.  Hmmm.  And no crew - just a drone ship."

Pilot-0 Leah was ushered into the main Space Center conference room and blinked in surprise as she recognized the occupant.  None other than Gus Kerman.

"Have a seat, pilot.  I'm sure you are wondering about things you've seen lately and orders you've fufilled." prompted Gus
"Well.. yes sir.  There's that odd ring that showed up.  And then I fueled an obviously unmanned rocket with 220 units of graviolium.  Maybe another ring.. probably to Minmus - though I've no idea what they do"
"Well done pilot.  You figured that out on very few clues.  And you have been circumspect about your observations.  That has been noted."

"Uhhh.." thought Leah "what's going on?"

"We would like to offer you a first of a kind - one of a kind opportunity.  It is not without risk - possibly considerable risk.  The details will have to await your decision to accept the mission or not" said Gus

So many thoughts so quickly.  "Test pilot" and "Danger Danger" 
Gus was gratified to see the play of emotions, consideration, and resolve.  "This one will do much like the last"

"I accept the mission, sir"
"Excellent.  The scientists and engineers at the Experimental Department have come up with an transportation ring that will instantly move you from one ring to another.  It can accommodate a single Kerbal and it can accommodate your resource transport.  No need to worry that it will not fit through.  As long as some of the vehicle can enter the ring, it will be transported.  We need to get the fusion pellets they are making on Minmus back here as well as initial testing of the ring capabilities.  The scientists and engineers are.... confident."

"Whoooo... I'm in it now" she though.  But said...  "I'm ready, sir."
"Good.  You will take your resource transport through the ring here and emerge at Minmus Station.  Assuming all goes as planned, bring those fusion pellets back.  R&D is expecting you for the transfer protocol.  Lets get to it, pilot.  Dismissed"
"Sir"

Several hours ago at Minmus Station, an odd craft landed and it's skycrane detached and destructed well away from the base.

Spoiler

KEaRp8u.png

After the meeting with Gus and then over to R&D for instructions, Leah took a deep breath.....

Spoiler

gRkGAuk.png

...and.....

Spoiler

Oe7wJQ1.png

"Oh... by the moons of Jool and the rings of Sarnus!  It worked!  I'm on Minmus.  Just like that."

Followed by..

"Huh..  back to work.  I know this routine."

Spoiler

4685Xb0.png

Fusion pellets acquired from the processors, another deep breath..

Spoiler

C5xOJ0n.png

... and back.  Just like that.

Spoiler

ZCpMNel.png

Transfer the fusion pellets over to the storage tank and back to the Astronaut Complex where she found her first rating star waiting.  And test pilot designation!!!

"This changes everything.  I went to the surface of Minmus and back in.... 28 minutes.  Wonder what is the range of those rings?  Bet it's a lot more than just Mun and Minmus.  Well done me!"

"Dres Orbital Station, this is KSC"
"Go ahead KSC.  This is Dres Orbital"
"Dres Orbital, KSC.  We need higher resolution science.  Adjust PE to 15KM.  AP your discretion.  Circular orbit if possible"
"Uhhh.. 15KM?  Uhhh.. Wilco KSC.. uhhh"
"KSC out.  rookie"

"Rookie?" thought Pilot-3 Kerbrett "Ok crew.  Hang on to your max absorbent garment.  We're setting up a new orbit.  We're gonna get a much better look at Dres"

Spoiler

vtVa1nN.png

"KSC, Dres Orbital.  14.6KM by 14.3KM good enough?  landlubber"
"This is KSC.  Well done.  What was that last? showboat"
"This is Dres Orbital.  Science says we can drop it down some more if you wish.  desk jocky"
"This is KSC.  Your discretion.  bug smear"
"Stand by KSC washout"
"This is Dres Orbital.  PE is 8.0KM.  Circularize in 18 minutes.  wannabe"

18 minutes later

"This is Dres Orbital 8.0KM by 8.0KM."

Spoiler

QaiGD0f.png

Spoiler

dfY6m9D.png

"umm... Captain..  If you're finished with your little grudge match with KSC.  We're getting good science.  Please don't bump anything" said Sci-3 Jesnard  "We're only a little more than 2KM above highest terrain."

"Hmmm..  there's Dres Canyon.  I wonder....." mused Pilot Kerbrett

Spoiler

AMFKp2K.png

Edited by Ooglak Kerman

Crew:  "Aaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!  KRAP KRAP KRAP!"
Kerbrett: "Nice!  Very eccentric orbit and inclined.   AP 1,458.4KM and PE 5.8KM.  Period of 9H 39m 54s.  Very nearly synchronous.  Lets take it lower next time around!!"
Crew: "Aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Spoiler

5T0XMP2.png

"Huhhhhhhhh" sighed Val "Yet another run out to Jool and back with graviolium.  Memories of the Minmus run.  Crew of Kerbin Orbital Depot got it pretty good."
::but you have us:: replied Sweetie
"Yeah....true that" with a giggle

Spoiler

6J1zRst.png

Rodvis and Julred have spent a couple of glamor filled days taking in the beautiful sights on Tylo

Spoiler

Rk4BWSv.png

All vacations come to an end though and now they have orders to head out to the Urlum system and land at Wal.

So, they bid a fond-ish farewell to the scenic beauty that is Tylo

Spoiler

nbqZsNf.png

And rendezvous with Tylo Station for refueling prior to the long, grueling 20 minute warp transit to the Urlum system and Wal orbit.  It should be noted that Urlum is  30% behind the orbit of the Jool system.

Spoiler

ByXeYea.png

"Well Julred, here we are at Wal.  I'm just spent after the long drive here.  Can you pick us a likely spot to land?"
"Cheeky lad.  Weel.. It's a fair bit-o a walnut tae be sure.  Lets think on it a leel"  that with a bit of a twinkle

Spoiler

KQtcOnz.png

Aboard the warp lander KWL-1000 "We're Goin' Down"

"Up with ye, ya lazy plod.  We're tae land at Wal"
"uhhhh...  Julred..  another hour?"
"Ah'll be a fetchin' mah muckle hammer, me laddie"
"Okay.. Okay.. lemme brush my teeth and get a snack-pack"

A short time later after an uneventful landing on gravatic power.

"Down the ladder.  Up the ladder.  Get the samples  Do some science"

Spoiler

KE1iXZl.png

View of the Wal equatorial ridge to the south of the lander.  It girdles Wal at the equator and gives it the unique shape.  It is thought to have been formed due to tidal forces from Wal's moon Tal.

Spoiler

IRgDI8I.png

Edited by Ooglak Kerman

Science ship WRS-42 "Life, The Universe, And Everything" has been dispatched to provide advanced science capabilities to exploration of the Urlum system.  Wal is shown here with it's moon Tal to the right.  Exploration of Tal is next for Rodvis and Julred.

Spoiler

QsNoIRs.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.