I can't get OpenGL to work

I asked a youtuber how he had so many mods because mine would get stuck in the loading every time I tried to load the game with a certain amount of mods, ( as Grant M. : https://www.youtube.com/post/UgkxqTjhOsWaFAui_ZYut6Ad4OplU8Uf4u1M) he replied "run it in open GL mode." I looked up a bunch of tutorials and couldn't quite grasp what they were saying until I went back to the oldest version of the game and saw what they meant in the files. I got it to work in open GL mode but very few of my mods were there, so I updated it to 1.9.1 to see how it works. once again, I got stuck in the loading. At this point I had given up and gone to another tutorial on this very website (https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/76031-less-memory-usage-by-using-opengl/#replyForm) that tutorial said to type in the steam launch code "-force-opengl" and I did but it, still nonetheless, crashed (in the most recent version). I've tried every singe thing I possibly can! I just can't do it! I am on a windows computer I have Kerbal Space Program through steam and it won't work! PLEASE help if you have any ideas! ;.;

I see this is your first post. Welcome!

If your game crashes, there’s an FAQ-like thread pinned near the top of the add-on forum. It’s titled something like “how to get support”. It will instruct how to post your log files so other people can try to diagnose which mods are having problems.

If you upgraded your KSP version you may also need to update mods. Parts mods often work across versions, but mods with programming in DLLs are more restricted.

Assuming you are ready to start a brand new save, maybe do a fresh KSP install and reinstall all your mods.

CKAN” is a program that helps install and update mods but not all mods support it; those others have to be installed manually. Search this forum for a thread with CKAN in the title to install it, if desired.

Let's take a step back from this OpenGL stuff and just focus on the immediate problem- broken mods. 

First of all, don't put mods in the Steam copy of KSP. Just don't. Steam breaks modded KSP, especially if you're switching versions with mods installed.

There's a good chance that reinstalling KSP and then copying it to use mods will solve your problem, so try this:

1.       Right click KSP in Steam library > browse local files.

2.       Copy KSP/saves/<your save name> and paste that on the desktop.

3.       If you used CKAN to install your mods (and you should!), click File > export modpack and save that to your desktop too. Screenshot your GameData folder with mods installed (even if you use CKAN) so you can check that you’ve reinstalled them all later.

4.       Uninstall all mods from KSP.

5.       Right click KSP in Steam library > properties, disable Steam cloud.

6.       Completely uninstall KSP through Steam.

7.       Reinstall KSP through Steam, right click > Properties > local files > verify integrity of game files. If you want to play a version other than the current release (1.12.3), pick that version in the Betas tab and verify the files once Steam has installed that version.

8.       Run KSP and make sure it loads properly without mods.

9.       Browse local files again, then go up one level (to Steam/steamapps/common) and copy the Kerbal Space Program directory, then paste it where you want to keep it- make sure it’s outside Steam’s folders so it can’t meddle with it in future.

10.   Rename the KSP folder so you know what mods you’re using in it (e.g. 1.10.1 RO/RP-1, 1.12.3 JNSQ), then add this new copy to CKAN and use the modpack created in step 3 to reinstall all your mods; or reinstall them by hand if you don’t use CKAN. Double-check that all files and folders you had in GameData before uninstalling/reinstalling everything are there again, if not then you’re probably missing some mods.

11.   Move your saves from your desktop into your new KSP copy’s saves folder, run KSP, load save. A warning about vessels having missing parts is usually because a mod is missing or wasn’t installed correctly.

If that still doesn't work and the game won't load, we'll need the log files along with a full mod list, a screenshot of your KSP GameData folder and a screenshot of where the game loads to before freezing. If you don't know how to find the logs, this guide will tell you where to look:

Put the log files on a file sharing site and post a link here, please don't try to paste the entire log files directly into the forums as it's nearly impossible to read them like that.

• 1 month later...
On 3/15/2022 at 3:53 PM, jimmymcgoochie said:

9.       Browse local files again, then go up one level (to Steam/steamapps/common) and copy the Kerbal Space Program directory, then paste it where you want to keep it- make sure it’s outside Steam’s folders so it can’t meddle with it in future.

Just another quick tip, if you simply rename the Kerbal Space Program folder to something else, Steam won't touch it anymore. I keep all of my various installs in the default Steam folder, but just renamed something to let me know what kind of mods it has.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.