Orbiting the Sun

Hi Kerbonauts.

I'm having an absolutely terrible time finding information, that I can understand, on how to get to a low Kerbol orbit.

I can get get as far as getting my periapsis around about where I want it and after several redesigns to add more DV I'm struggling. I haven't been slingshotting or anything like that. Just standard up and achieve LKO then burn to escape then lowering the orbit in the usual manner.

I have most technologies unlocked to just a few steps before the last stage. I'm using the 2.5 meter stuff.

I'm still relatively new to the game. Attached screeshot of where I'm at with the rocket. Ignore about 850 of that delta V as its on the satellite itself.

Any tips would be extremely useful, thanks all.

Screenshot https://imgur.com/a/mOYAQIx

31 minutes ago, PappaKerbal said:

burn to escape then lowering the orbit

Consider combining these steps. One big burn near Kerbin (such that you exit Kerbin's sphere of influence going in the opposite direction to Kerbin's own velocity) is more efficient than splitting it up.

19 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

Consider combining these steps. One big burn near Kerbin (such that you exit Kerbin's sphere of influence going in the opposite direction to Kerbin's own velocity) is more efficient than splitting it up.

I've been burning behind Kerbin increasing apoapsis out toward the sun. Do you mean burning like a mun exit? I also hadn't bothered with maneuver nodes as i thought it was straight forward.

I think I understand what you're saying. Treat it just like a Kerbin reentry from the mun. I'll give it another shot shortly! Cheers.

On 3/15/2022 at 1:23 PM, HebaruSan said:

After all this, I finally managed to get a nice orbit round the sun by paying with the delta V a bit more and using the escape method discussed, only to discover I didn't need to. I was trying to position the SENTINEL telescope for Kerbin. I ended up finding a thread on the telescope and discovered it needs to be below Kerbin's orbit but higher than Eve's.

Probably part of what set me in the initial direction was that I had to test a wheel in orbit round the sun. The contract didn't specify and orbit so I was very pleased to find out this worked between Kerbin and Eve after I positioned the telescope.

There is so much to learn in this game. I appreciate the help. Thank you.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.