[1.12.x] Rover Science Re-Mobilized - Better, interactive science for rovers!

linuxgurugamer

Originally written by @theSpeare, original thread here:  https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/67979-121-

Maintained for a year or so by @Aelfhe1m, thread is here:  https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/162865-14x-

and now adopted by myself (I contacted @Aelfhe1mvia PM)

Note:  The questionmarks in title are a placeholder, until I setting on a new name

xLxZftk.png

Plugin is now compatible with KSP 1.12.

RoverScience is a KSP plugin that attempts to add more interactive functionality to the science system FOR rovers. You drive rovers to search for science spots which you may then decide to investigate and analyze for science gain.

This is an old review by @Kottabos:

Wonderful tutorial/showcase video by youtuber KottabosGames; thank you! There is one discrepancy, however: you do not get more science the farther away you are from the landing spot

gZFbkjC.png

Dependencies

Availability

Available via CKAN

Quick Instructions

Spoiler

[1] Build your rover and attach the appropriate Rover Brain and ensure it is pointing "forward". As long as it is pointing "forward" it can be placed anywhere on your rover. This forward orientation is not critical to the functioning of RoverScience, but it will provide you with a convenient "Control From Here" for driving the rover correctly forward.

h23aQHM.png

[2] Right-click on the Rover Brain in-flight and click "Activate Rover Terminal".

VaLEFWz.png

[3] This console will update you with information regarding the Rover Brain. Drive and explore around to search for a science spot.

PkUaLyB.png

[4] After driving for awhile, you may detect a potential science spot. This will be shown as a large red transparent sphere waypoint. Drive towards the waypoint to further investigate.

Q5T06vL.png

[5] Drive into the marker and it will turn green. You may now analyze for science, but before you do consider the potential science. Every science spot analysis will increase future science loss; be wise with which spots you wish to analyze, and which to abandon. At any point you may click on "Reset Science Spot" to begin search for another spot.

6uRo3Zy.png

[6] This is the upgrade menu. "Current" shows you what value an upgrade currently has. "Next" will show you the value if you increase the level. "Cost" is how much you will spend in science to upgrade. "UP" is the button to upgrade. An explanation of each of the upgrades is given further below. All upgrades are permanent and work across all rovers!

Notes:

• Firstly, RoverScience will not function unless the Rover Terminal is opened. This is done through the right-click menu of the Rover Brain part.
  • RoverScience will only search for science spots if your vessel has at least one wheel, and that it is in contact with the ground.
  • Upon landing, your rover will establish a landing spot. Driving farther away from where you originally landed will increase chances of finding a science spot.
  • Science spots detected far away from the rover will have a bonus multiplier added to them. You are rewarded for exploring and reaching far destinations. Bear in mind that a 50% increase to 10 is only 15 -> carefully consider whether the potential (or the prediction) is worth it.
  • Each analysis you commit to will slowly degrade a rover's return of science. For the first 2 analyses you'll get normal values, and anything past that will slowly degrade the amount of science you get back. Soak up those high potentials as much as possible!
  • CTRL + R + S will open the RoverScience menu.

Older versions of the mod are available from theSpeare's GitHub, and SpaceDock page.

Changelog:

Spoiler

Added license file
    Copied Imgur files into readme directory
    Added support for ASET ERS
    Added support for the Feline Utility Rovers
    Added support for Pathfinder
    Added support for Phoenix Industries ARES Rover
    Added support for The Martian for KSP (updated version of the Phoenix Industries mod)
    Converted tga to dds
    Deleted MiniAVC.dll
    Created Plugins directory
    Added code to hide on F2
    Added code to hide on pause
    Added AssemblyVersion.tt
    Added InstallChecker.cs
    Replaced Debug.Log with SpaceTuxLibrary Log library calls
    Added settings page to control log level
    Added ClickThroughBlocker support
    Updated GetUpgradeValue() to  use values stored in arrays instead of multiple if statements
    Updated GetUpgradeCost() to  use values stored in arrays instead of multiple if statements
    Revamped display of potential science inspired bu suggestions from @EppyMoon:

Where:
                rnd is a random number between 0 and 1
                value is the actual value
                confidence is  the confidence of the prediction based on the level of the sensors

predictedValue = value * (1 - (1 - confidence) * rnd) + (1 - confidence) * (500 * rnd - 250)

Look up the predictedValue in the following table:

400-500+    VeryHigh
                    200-400        High
                    70-200        Normal
                    30-70        Low
                    < 30        VeryLow
2.3.5.2 Alpha
    Fixed displayed science dome location jumping when the rover got too far away (about 400-500m)
    Replaced all  marker.GetComponent<MeshRenderer>() with a single call when marker is created
    Replaced all "foreach" with "for"
    Fixed check for wheel count to look for string "wheel" instead of ModuleSheelBase
    Disabled analyze button if vessel/rover is moving

Fixed nullrefs in editor
    Moved initialization of GUIStyles from the ConsoleGUI to Static, now only get initialized once. Fixes memory leak and improves performance
    Added settings for maxspeed and requireWheelsToTouch
    Added warning of approaching max speed
    Fixed upgrades not being saved properly
    Changed method for fixing the science dome location
    Added Scaled Science, calculated when game first starts, adjustable in Settings
    Added ScaledDetection, calculated when game first starts, adjustable in Settings
    Fixed spot being displayed at altitude
    Added scaledScienceOccurrance
    Added minDistanceBetweenData
    Added new sayings for random text
    Fixed localization of the Science Too Low string

Possible Known Issues (not yet tested):

1. Opening the terminal window while two rovers with Rover Brains are within physics range will throw Null References and will break RoverScience.

Some more thanks:

• Original mod coding by theSpeare with thanks to malkuth and RockStar04 for testing and assistance
  • etmoonshade
  • udk_lethal_dose
  • akron for Rover Brain parts - modelling and texturing
  • Nat Sum for rock models!

I'm interested in the following, if anyone would like to contribute:

• More rock models
  • updating the included part models with lights 
  • More sayings
  • Feedback in general

ToDo

• Add detection of ROCs (from the Serenity)
  • Add detection of the craters
  • Fine Tuning of the mod
  • Documenting the changes to the mod in the OP
Edited by linuxgurugamer

1 hour ago, Stone Blue said:

Rover Science Re-Mobilized ? :P

Going from Remobilized:

Mobile Science Services - "Can you test me now?" As a reference to some mobile communication services, "Can you hear me now?"

Not really a good name for a mod, I know. But it's just so silly I had to share it. :cool:

My suggest for your list : Rover Science - Roll and Rock

Iwill try to do something for your rocks, :)

also i don't understand what you would like about "lights" (updating the included part models with lights  )? on the rover module ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2022 at 3:53 AM, Skalou said:

My suggest for your list : Rover Science - Roll and Rock

Iwill try to do something for your rocks, :)

also i don't understand what you would like about "lights" (updating the included part models with lights  )? on the rover module ?

Re the rocks, please make sure they have colliders

The two parts have what appear to be three lights, but they are inactive.  I'd like them to be usable as spotlights, if possible

New BETA release, 2.3.5.4

• RemoteTech patch added
  • Changed RandomConsolePrintOuts to loop through the random saying instead of individual lines
  • Localized new strings, translations done using Google Translate
  • Added option to show/hide science dome
  • Made rock colliders, defaulted to active
  • Added option to disable rock colliders
  • Added detection of ROCs and Craters (only active with Serenity)

https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/RoverScience-Continued/releases/tag/2.3.5.4

Please report any issues, including performance problems.  Depending on the game settings, there might be some minor performance issues when playing with Serenity due to the number of ROCs which Serenity can add.  If you do experience that, a copy of the save file would be useful

New beta, 2.3.5.5   This is a release candidate

• Change Anomalies module from loading 1x to loading every time flight scene is entered
  • Fixed issue with multiple rovers being in physics range causing exceptions

https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/RoverScience-Continued/releases/tag/2.3.5.5

Please note that I added the dependencies to the OP and here:

Dependencies

Edited by linuxgurugamer

New release, 2.3.5.6 RC-2

• Removed all calls to FindPartModuleImplementing<>
  • RoverScienceDB is now created as a child of RoverScience

https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/RoverScience-Continued/releases/tag/2.3.5.6

And, the poll came up with this result:  Rover Science Re-Mobilized

Assuming no more changes, release in a few days

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Bug 01 Report: 
Rover brain display goes blank when a science spot is found, only clears when said spot is driven into.

Bug 02 Report: 

Using hyper edit to place a craft on a planet sets rover brain as in a science spot.

This spot cannot be reset, and if analysed yields no science, and driving away from it doesn't get rid of it (tested up to 3KM away)

In addition this generated spot takes up the experiment slot in the rover brain, which means no more science can be done with that rover brain ever.

Edited by RB101

21 minutes ago, RB101 said:

Bug 01 Report: 
Rover brain display goes blank when a science spot is found, only clears when said spot is driven into.

Bug 02 Report: 

Using hyper edit to place a craft on a planet sets rover brain as in a science spot.

This spot cannot be reset, and if analysed yields no science, and driving away from it doesn't get rid of it (tested up to 3KM away)

In addition this generated spot takes up the experiment slot in the rover brain, which means no more science can be done with that rover brain ever.

Your report is good, but incomplete.  My usual mantra: No logs, no support