[1.12.5] Dreamer (DREAM) - Vertical Launch, horizontal recovery space plane! 1.3.99.1-prerelease '<Thank you DeadJohn>` [16 Feb 2023]

zer0Kerbal

• 4 months later...

Dreamer (DREAM)
KSP version 
License
AVC .version files Pages

Version 1.3.99.0-adoption - <Thank you artwhaley> edition

• Released
    • 10 Jan 2023
    • for Kerbal Space Program 1.12.5
    • by zer0Kerbal

For best results - DO A CLEAN INSTALL; DELETE EXISTING INSTALLATION THEN RE-INSTALL

Download from CurseForge

Adoption by zer0Kerbal

Spoiler
  • Can now search for drm or dreamerin the editor search bar to find all Dreamer parts
  • ~ total parts
    • Common Core / Cent stages
    • Dreamer
      • two pods, one with and one without cargo bay

Archival Releases 1.3.99.0

• Archival Releases
  • closes #97 - 1.2.0.0 - Archival Release
  • closes #98 - 1.3.0.0 - Archival Release
  • closes #91 - Archival Releases

Localization 1.3.99.0

• Localization directory and contents
    • Create
      • Localization/
        • <en-us.cfg>
        • [readme.md] v2.1.2.0
        • [quickstart.md] v1.0.1.1
    • updates #10 - Localization - Master
    • closes #11 - Localization - English <en-us.cfg>
    • closes #92 - Create Localization directory and contents

Documentation 1.3.99.0

• Create
    • readme
    • deploy to:
      • CurseForge Description page
      • Forum Original Post
      • SpaceDock Information page
    • release notes
    • [changelog.md]
    • update /docs/

GitHub Pages 1.3.99.0

• Create
    • docs/
      • [_config.yml]
      • [404.md] v1.0.3.2
      • [Assembly.md] v1.0.0.0
      • [Attribution.md] v1.0.7.1
      • [Disclaimer.md] v1.0.7.1
      • [LegalMumboJumbo.md] v1.0.5.1
      • [Localizations.md] v1.1.7.0
      • [ManualInstallation.md] v1.1.8.0
      • [Marketing.md] v1.0.1.0
      • [Notices.md] v1.0.1.0
      • [PartsCatalog.md] v1.1.4.1
      • [Why.md] v1.1.0.0
  • closes #8 - Needs a wiki
  • closes #89 - Create GitHub Pages

Legal Mumbo Jumbo 1.3.99.0

• Create
    • license check
    • offline documentation
    • _Legal
      • screenshots and pdfs
      • adoption Letters
      • communications concerning
    • _Links/
      • link(s) saved
    • docs/LegalMumboJumbo
      • [License.md]
      • FORUM-##.png's
        • public documentation
    • GitHub: :octocat:
      • LICENSE
      • [license].txt
    • CurseForge
    • SpaceDock
    • CKAN

Part Asset Updates 1.3.99.0

• create Assets/ folder
  • convert from mesh to MODEL
  • rename
    • models to unique names
    • textures to unique names
  • update
    • model pointers (.png et al to .dds)
    • model texture pointers to new names
  • relocate assets to Assets/
  • eliminate
    • duplicate textures
    • duplicate models
  • relocate part.cfg to Parts/
  • closes #93 - Part Asset Updates

Parts 1.3.99.0

• Update
  • Lint
  • fix issues (below)
  • closes #7 - Cargo
  • closes #31 - [Bug]: landing gear fails to exist in game
  • closes #44 - drm-container versions
  • closes #47 - [Bug]: about to start testing KAS functionality for functionality will post updates on that here. edit: kas functionality is broken, same goes for the tail fin which now attaches at an offset node
  • closes #56 - [Request]: patch for HullCameraVDS
  • closes #57 - [Request]: patch for ConnectedLivingSpaces (CLS)
  • closes #58 - [Request]: patch for MechJeb (MJ)
  • closes #60 - [Request]: Maybe the docking nose should be an shielded port instead and not a weird extendable tongue thing?
  • closes #61 - [Request]: patch for FireSpitter (FS)
  • closes #63 - [drm-container] for Snacks
  • closes #64 - [drm-container] for USI-LS
  • closes #71 - Clean out duplicate textures/models
  • closes #72 - [Bug]: IVA BROKEN
  • closes #73 - [Bug]: undocking rear port undocks the port from dreamer
  • closes #74 - [Bug]: centar attach node is broken,
  • closes #80 - [Bug]: airbrakes that are said to exist in the description of the mod don't appear to exist

Config 1.3.99.0

• Add localized tags to parts
  • Create
    • Dreamer.cfg v1.0.0.0
      • adds localized tags to parts
  • closes #94 - Create <Dreamer.cfg>

License 1.3.99.0

• Update
    • Updated License: GPL-2.0
      • was: WTPFL

Social Media Presence 1.3.99.0

• Create Social Media Presence
    • Kerbal Space Program forum
      • Create new thread/post in "Add-on Development"
      • title: [1.12.x] Dreamer (DREAM) - 1.3.99.0-adoption - <Thank you artwhaley> edition [01 Jan 2022]
      • create release post in new thread/post
        • content (readme.htm)
      • original mod's thread/post
        • post link to new thread/post
    • CurseForge
    • Twitter
    • SpaceDock
    • Reddit post
    • Patreon post

Marketing 1.3.99.0

• Create
    • HeroLogo.png
  • closes #90 - Create HeroLogo.png

Status 1.3.99.0

• Issues
    • closes #85 - Dreamer (DREAM) 1.3.99.0-adoption <Thank you artwhaley> edition
    • closes #88 - 1.1.99.0 Create Social Media Presence
    • closes #87 - 1.1.99.0 Create Documentation
    • closes #86 - 1.1.99.0 Create Legal Mumbo Jumbo
    • closes #5 - Dreamer (DREAM) 1.3.99.0-adoption <Thank you artwhaley> edition
    • closes #4 - LegalMumboJumbo
    • closes #3 - Social
    • closes #6 - Repo

See More

Spoiler

Localization

• English English
  • your translation here

HELP WANTED - See the README in the Localization folder or the Quickstart Guide for instructions for adding or improving translations. GitHub push is the best way to contribute. Additions and corrections welcome!

red box below is a link to forum post on how to get support

How to get support

Be Kind: Lithobrake, not jakebrake! Keep your Module Manager up to date

How to support this and other great mods by zer0Kerbal

Support Patreon Github Sponsor Buy zer0Kerbal a snack

Release Schedule

Spoiler
  1. GitHub, reaching first manual installers and users of KSP-AVC. Right now.
  2. CurseForge. Right now.
  3. SpaceDock (and CKAN users). Soon™ (the button has been pushed)
Edited by zer0Kerbal
update links and lasso the birds

15 minutes ago, zer0Kerbal said:

Reveal hidden contents

Great stuff! Thank you very much!

On 3/17/2022 at 2:18 AM, zer0Kerbal said:

if you launch this on stock parts, you may need quite a few fins at the base of the rocket

Congrats on release. Crew transport options are much appreciated.

Players (me) using Skyhawk Science System tech tree will encounter extra launch and landing challenges. Skyhawk nerfs reaction wheels. Dreamer has especially strong wheels to power through aerodynamic forces so gets hit hard by that nerf.

It's just a mod interaction for people to be aware of, not a bug.

8 minutes ago, DeadJohn said:

Congrats on release. Crew transport options are much appreciated.

Players (me) using Skyhawk Science System tech tree will encounter extra launch and landing challenges. Skyhawk nerfs reaction wheels. Dreamer has especially strong wheels to power through aerodynamic forces so gets hit hard by that nerf.

It's just a mod interaction for people to be aware of, not a bug.

thank you @DeadJohn - the actual aerodynamics of the actual craft are pretty good, and with some final polish (which is beyond me) on CoM/CoL/etc am pretty sure that it will be even more fun to fly! The version with the cargo bay has seats for four (and the IVA is meant for four); the non-cargo bay version seats seven. The life support patches are designed with 10 crew for 30 days (might be a little much) and now supports TAC-LS; USI-LS, and Snacks. When I bring SimpleLife! back (soon) it will support that as well.

Dreamer is an awesome little shuttle, just like its real-life counterpart.

should have been out last spring, but the usual got in the way - and the multiple hops through different storages (drives/computers) really mangled the configs.

even the WhimChaser is pretty solid in the aerodynamics department, as is the Pteron. 

I should be sleeping, but .... too bad I am not a modeler, else would do service modules for the Dreamer, but might see if I can swipe them from WhimChaser.

Happy gliding! Please do provide feedback, and GitHub PR's are always welcomed!

Edited by zer0Kerbal

3 hours ago, zer0Kerbal said:

Please do provide feedback

Possible sync issue across different installation options: Dreamer wasn't showing on CKAN last night. I tried installing from Github and had some in-game glitches, then I tried Spacedock and had a different set of issues. The parts show up in-game but might not be working the way you intend.

Is the SpaceDock link at the very top of this thread still pointing to the original rather than your latest version?

Is this the correct Github parts folder https://github.com/zer0Kerbal/Dreamer/tree/master/GameData/AxialAerospace/Dreamer/Parts ? That folder has drm-cabin-bay.cfg and drm-cargo-bay.cfg both with CrewCapacity = 7 plus cargo bay modules. Should both files be there, and should they hold 4 crew instead of 7 because of the cargo? Meanwhile, drm-cabin-nobay.cfg without the cargo module has only 4 crew.

I'll check again tonight to see if the mod shows on CKAN and try a reinstall from there to see if that fixes things.

@DeadJohnthank you for the report +1 :rep:

1 hour ago, DeadJohn said:

Dreamer wasn't showing on CKAN last night

button was pushed last week. 

https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/NetKAN/pull/9549

https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/NetKAN/pulls  currently there are 82+ PR's waiting for CKAN; nothing more I can do. 

SpaceDock is always one version behind, lots of reasons for this including having time to shake out issues like the ones you mention. Latest is always available on CurseForge.

1 hour ago, DeadJohn said:

Is this the correct Github parts folder https://github.com/zer0Kerbal/Dreamer/tree/master/GameData/AxialAerospace/Dreamer/Parts ? That folder has drm-cabin-bay.cfg and drm-cargo-bay.cfg both with CrewCapacity = 7 plus cargo bay modules. Should both files be there, and should they hold 4 crew instead of 7 because of the cargo? Meanwhile, drm-cabin-nobay.cfg without the cargo module has only 4 crew.

drm-cargo bay is a work in progress; I found the .mu and no .cfg; so am working though what to do with it.

two pods: drm-cabin-bay seats four and shares the IVA with drm-cabin-nobay which seats seven. Hence one is the cargo and the other is the kerbal cargo carrier. Hmm... maybe I have that backwards in reality (I probably do). Some other differences between the two as well.

dang nabbit - how did I miss that?

kindly post a comment at the issue report so can give you credit.

[BUG] crew capacity of pods #108
https://github.com/zer0Kerbal/Dreamer/issues/108 

Edited by zer0Kerbal

34 minutes ago, zer0Kerbal said:

button was pushed last week

I've seen other threads comment that CKAN isn't updating. Would that affect what's on Spacedock, though? The files in Spacedock's zip still had what looks like a pre-adoption naming convention without hyphens. I'm not familiar with the mod publishing process and don't know whether:

• CKAN is supposed to publish to Spacedock for you, and broken CKAN is why Spacedock is outdated
  • You have to manually copy your new zip to Spacedock but didn't get a chance to do so yet
  • Spacedock already has your latest zip at some new link that's different than the original link button in your top post

The actual answer isn't that important, though. I think I installed via github ok, and the crew capacity oddness I saw is merely a bug. My reason for beating a dead horse here is to make sure I give you feedback on the correct files. Thanks.

#ConfusedButLearning

@DeadJohnyou are correct in the way SpaceDock-->CKAN.

I use one master readme for everything; its a markdown file which I pandoc into html. SpaceDock has issues with GitHub flavored markdown, or html or both. I've bug reported it several times and it has gotten better, but the rendering issues are a rather big annoyance; Meanwhile CurseForge does exactly the same (less the CKAN) and you can download directly (like SpaceDock) or use their app. So many better features over SpaceDock. 

I am slowly working on creating automation (python) to create, and update, then push to GitHub my addon's .netkcan files; however since CKAN is constipated and has been for over a year, this project hasn't been a high priority. Ongoing discussion.

The issues you reported were bugs, and again thank you. If you grab the files from the 1.3.99.1-prerelease branch - they have been fixed, along with (*knocking on wood*) the flavor text, and the drm-eng issue seen on the last testing/demo (and the issue found with the drop tanks) video.

I am hoping those video's are helping people see the product (so to speak).

I really do appreciate the feedback, As you can see, proper feedback like what you have provided gets results, well as long as there is something I can about it. I can't give Val red or white or blue hair, sorry just can't. :valsad:

19 hours ago, zer0Kerbal said:

If you grab the files from the 1.3.99.1-prerelease branch

Thanks. That helped a lot. Now I'm getting similar performance to your 2 testing videos.

On 2/10/2023 at 10:02 AM, zer0Kerbal said:

the actual aerodynamics of the actual craft are pretty good, and with some final polish (which is beyond me) on CoM/CoL/etc am pretty sure that it will be even more fun to fly!

I'm looking at aerodynamics now, will improve what I can, and will keep notes on other things that seem wrong but that I couldn't fix. Most of my testing is at 2.5x scale (KSRSS Reborn) but I'll also confirm my final results with stock Kerbin.

Here's my thought process so far, in case you have anything to add:

1. There was way too much drag from something. In your 1st testing video above, during reentry you've got a good AoA but slow down too much compared to typical KSP craft. At 3 km you are diving yet still need some engine power to maintain 40 m/s speed. In my own reentry testing, I turned off SAS and Dreamer tumbled uncontrollably but hit the surface at only 5 m/s. My ascent testing was burning 1000 m/s more deltaV than usual to reach orbit (KSRSS 2.5x planet pack). Excessive drag could cause all of those things.
  2. The aero debug menus showed that the Dreamer vertical tail stabilizer caused more drag than all other parts combined, even when its brakes are retracted. Using the stock AV-R8 winglet as a tail replacement immediately gave a better ascent; more controllable, less tendency to flip, less DV needed. High atmo reentry also worked better with more plausible gentle deceleration.
  3. Low atmo remained a problem after my tail workaround. In a steep dive (SAS prograde) my test craft accelerated as expected but near 100 m/s speed the amount of of lift became excessive and caused the nose to flip up. That flip then slowed the craft, the slower speed gave less lift, SAS was able to aim at the prograde dive again, accelerate, flip, repeat.
  4. When I look at the tail, nose cones, and cabin stats in VAB, they all have excessively large control surfaces above 100%. Wings are a reasonable 29%. Merely disabling the control surfaces during construction didn't fix it. The parts are giving too much total lift IMO so I'll experiment with the cfgs next.
  5. I suspect the original mod had to work its way past glitches in an old KSP version.

19 minutes ago, DeadJohn said:

Thanks. That helped a lot. Now I'm getting similar performance to your 2 testing videos.

Thank you! I believe I have several fixes already in mind. Several parts have what I consider possibly extraneous part modules that might be affecting lift, drag, etc.

Also proves that I am not as bad a plane pilot as I let on. ;p oh, my vanity.

the choice to have the airbrakes on the tail - it works, but probably would be better to have two parts - wishful thoughts since above my abilities to do such.

@zer0Kerbal I've already made major progress editing lift and control surfaces for much smoother ascents and landings. Landings work well regardless of whether tanks are empty or mostly filled. Stock SAS and Atmospheric Autopilot both work well during reentry. I've only tested at 2.5x so far.

I'm still using my workaround of a different tail because I don't know if this thing will ever need airbrakes; it has enough drag, lift, and control authority to slow down to a safe landing speed without brakes.

Unrelated to aero, I feel the original OMS engine is overpowered with high thrust, great ISP, low mass. I'll leave that part untouched and recycle the model for a new monoprop part with less thrust and less ISP; I like a single fuel type in my shuttles.

I'm alternating KSP with bouts of deep cleaning our kitchen. Test some stuff in KSP, think about it while cleaning behind the fridge, test more, clean the oven, etc.

3 hours ago, DeadJohn said:

@zer0Kerbal I've already made major progress editing lift and control surfaces for much smoother ascents and landings. Landings work well regardless of whether tanks are empty or mostly filled. Stock SAS and Atmospheric Autopilot both work well during reentry. I've only tested at 2.5x so far.

I'm still{ using my workaround of a different tail because I don't know if this thing will ever need airbrakes; it has enough drag, lift, and control authority to slow down to a safe landing speed without brakes.

Unrelated to aero, I feel the original OMS engine is overpowered with high thrust, great ISP, low mass. I'll leave that part untouched and recycle the model for a new monoprop part with less thrust and less ISP; I like a single fuel type in my shuttles.

I'm alternating KSP with bouts of deep cleaning our kitchen. Test some stuff in KSP, think about it while cleaning behind the fridge, test more, clean the oven, etc.

@DeadJohn you cannot understand the level of stoked I am hearing this.

How about I supply a second tail - with the airbrakes function disabled (just to cover those flap shaped holes in the texture of the wings) ? Or could also/or add small nodes there for rectangular drogue chutes?

That was my experience flying the Dreamer on approach to the western? sea;  The first stream didn't have the airbrake functionality - and it went, well, as smooth as any other of my neophyte plane pilot skills.

{drm-eng} - am amenable to creating a second variant, or/and can also add dual engine functionality to it.  When you are satisfied with your version - kindly toss the .cfg my way - and just might include it. There is a dearth of stack attachable, surface mountable OMS engines; the Pteron and WhimChaser also suffered from this deficit.

I do the same: now about to power down the server and do an open mobo transplate.... that should be fun. will give me time to consider what to do about SpaceY's (and other Category issues)

(I do have epaulets and my work uniforms in real life)

@zer0Kerbal Baby's 1st pull request! I submitted 5 changed parts plus 1 new monoprop engine.

I'm a Github novice and did everything together. Would you have preferred multiple pulls, one for each major change: new engine as one pull, fixed aero as another, etc.

This flight test video showing ascent, one failed descent, and another nearly successful (flipped on landing, no damage) descent. It's still being processed as I go to bed but should be viewable soon  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1El1Z-K-dMgbNooLPipLL7RaG4v4ZrTl4/view?usp=share_link

Edited by DeadJohn

@zer0Kerbal I'm not sure if you've had an opportunity to review my push request. No rush, just letting you know I'm going to experiment more this weekend to make the passenger vs. cargo versions more distinct, more like the ever-evolving Dreamchaser, and create better game balance.

Passenger cabin carries 7 crew plus 3000l inventory. Cargo strongly reduces that to 4 crew and only 800l inventory, which seems like too much penalty for adding the top hatch. My current line of thought:

• Passenger: 7 crew, reduce cargo inventory to 650l inventory (same as stock 1.25m SEQ-9 container).
  • Cargo: Zero crew, increase cargo inventory to 5000l (twice that of 2.5m SEQ-24 container).
  • I'll try to find a better resource for estimating cargo volume and revise the inventory numbers above.
  • The passenger version still has node placement quirks. If I can't resolve it with cfg changes I might change the passenger cfg to share the cargo hatch model.
  • Some unfinished things noted with the earlier push. Localization, etc.

Sample Craft with folding wings, similar to the real Dreamchaser announcements: I'll try stock robotic hinges but anticipate kraken. I might have to take liberties such as making more lift come from the cabin, less from the wings, to avoid torquing off the wings during reentry.

Rear cargo module: The real Dreamchaser has plans to put an extra conical trunk and docking port aft of the cargo cabin. I can't create a model for it, but if I think of one from another mod with an open license I'll borrow it. Regardless, players who need more cargo space can kitbash service modules from stock or other mods.

Holler if you think any of this should go in a different direction.

5 hours ago, DeadJohn said:

opportunity to review my push reques

@DeadJohn +1 :rep:

Got sidetracked, several adoptions I have had in the works for over a year just completed with author's blessings. 

I am attempting to push out a Dreamer update today.

I like where you are going with this. 

If a part module has old style model defined nodes cannot change. I believe I have updated most of the part.cfg's to only use the new part.cfg defined nodes, with all 11 variables. Yes, 11. Normally you find only 6-7 of them in most part.cfg's.

Sample Craft would be great. Just only stock mods in them (as you know) - 

I want the rear cargo module - and there are two possibilities I know of off the top of my head - WHIM and Service Modules (both of mine so licensing isn't an issue).

Important for me to push out an update so you can push more changes. :D Coming up.

On 2/11/2023 at 10:39 PM, DeadJohn said:

@zer0Kerbal Baby's 1st pull request! I submitted 5 changed parts plus 1 new monoprop engine.

I'm a Github novice and did everything together. Would you have preferred multiple pulls, one for each major change: new engine as one pull, fixed aero as another, etc.

This flight test video showing ascent, one failed descent, and another nearly successful (flipped on landing, no damage) descent. It's still being processed as I go to bed but should be viewable soon  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1El1Z-K-dMgbNooLPipLL7RaG4v4ZrTl4/view?usp=share_link

you did just fine.

one pull multiple files, or one pull per file/change is fine. I don't mind either. Easier to have one pull per change but harder for a Git novice to do that without messing up the original repo or their fork.

watching vid - nice flying!

Waiting for someone to stick a claw in the nosebay and ram an asteroid!

issue is need to set the `attachRules = x,x,x,x,1 ` for the decoupler - that is why (IIRC)  the drm-eng were falling off in my video.

Dreamer (DREAM)
KSP version License
AVC .version files Pages

Version 1.3.99.1-prerelease - <Thank you @DeadJohn> edition

• Released
    • 16 Feb 2023
    • for Kerbal Space Program 1.12.5
    • by zer0Kerbal

For best results - DO A CLEAN INSTALL; DELETE EXISTING INSTALLATION THEN RE-INSTALL

Download from CurseForge

Summary

Spoiler

Changes

• [drm-cabin-bay]
    • move SkyHawkScienceSystems patching into patch :D
    • comment out several part modules.
    • variant update
  • [drm-cabin-nobay]
    • correct seat count
    • variant update
  • [drm-cargo-bay]
    • correct seat count (0)
  • [drm-ccb-eng]
  • [drm-atlas-inter]
    • attachRules = x,x,x,x,1
    • [ModuleDecouple] down to 100 from 600
  • [drm-centaur]
    • reduce RW by 50%
    • variant update
  • [drm-decoupler]
    • attachRules = x,x,x,x,1
    • [ModuleDecouple] up to 100 from 30
  • [drm-nose-nodock]
  • [drm-tail]
    • part in flux
    • what to do about airbrakes? maybe optional patch to enable/disable?
    • need to recalc drag cubes with/without airbrakes
  • [drm-wing-left]
  • [drm-wing-right]
  • add [drm-engine-mono]

See More

Spoiler

Localization

• English English
  • your translation here

HELP WANTED - See the README in the Localization folder or the Quickstart Guide for instructions for adding or improving translations. GitHub push is the best way to contribute. Additions and corrections welcome!

red box below is a link to forum post on how to get support

How to get support

Be Kind: Lithobrake, not jakebrake! Keep your Module Manager up to date

How to support this and other great mods by zer0Kerbal

Support Patreon Github Sponsor Buy zer0Kerbal a snack

Release Schedule

Spoiler
Edited by zer0Kerbal

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.