This game is dead?

Compare all things happened - this game died long ago. But in case of damage control, publisher decide to feed us with "promises".
First preview was at GC2019 with release date on march 2020. Then delay.
How much updates since then? Very few. At the bottom level.
ZERO serious news or previews. Still no clear release date.
So even after ~2 years delay they still no have serious stuff to show.
If extrapolate this to initial release date i can conclude that game was not even close to be ready EVEN if no COVID strikes(which was been formal reason of delay).

I bet on next major "news" will be another delay to 2023 and then - project closing.

Rest in peace, KSP2.

Plenty of games have very short spans between announcement and release, with gameplay being shown only in the last few weeks before the launch.

KSP2 was supposed to be released 6 months after the announcement, so it was supposed to be a exactly that kind of short/surprise release, but during that time the change in studio then the COVID happened and the marketing campaign was stopped 2-3 months in (around the "colonial VAB KSP 1 challenge" thingie). 

A 2.5 years delay for a game that was supposed do have a 6 months marketing campaign is not exactly an ideal situation, especially given that basically half of that campaign has already run and a lot of the coverage and ads got wasted.

The game is supposed to release between now and December, that's still enough time to fit a full Bethesda-style release and marketing plan, with the trailer and info dropping at E3 and the game releasing in November (most of BGS games were released like that, we already know about Starfield only because they had to reveal it early due to 76 being multiplayer).

And no, the Devs can't "just use 5 minutes of their time to update the forum" devblogs are barely noticed on this forum, outside of here people don't even know they exist and without pictures and gameplay videos they get ignored.

Am I saying that there won't be other delays?

No I'm not, I'm just saying that silence means nothing.

PS What would be the plan in keeping the cancellation of KSP2 secret? And don't reply with a vague "damage control" there's nothing sold here yet, no money to refund to any customer. 

What exactly would be the plan? Keeping KSP1 sales low by pretending to be developing a sequel?

Keep in mind that not only did the pandemic happen, but Star Theory Games was completely disbanded around the time of the pandemic. The KSP2 team probably had to deal with major organization issues coming into Intercept Games. On top of that we can see on the KSP2 linked in page, there’s multiple jobs open, including a couple of leadership roles. This would fundamentally slow development of the game as a whole, especially after Star Theory disbanded and Covid hit.

22 hours ago, VictoriaBay said:

Compare all things happened - this game died long ago. But in case of damage control, publisher decide to feed us with "promises".
ZERO serious news or previews.

I honestly don’t understand what you’re talking about, besides the blurriness of the release date, there have been many updates on the progress of the games like the 14 show and tell videos, 13 Dev Daries, and 4 feature videos. These all show the development of KSP2 in extreme detail that we haven’t seen before. We have also gotten many forum replies from the devs.

Intercept games is not a big AAA studio that releases rushed games with a bunch of lies that were promised, it’s from, what I see, encouraged fans (and in some cases developers) of KSP with extensive experience in game development making the most high effort sequel possible.

We still don’t know the full reason of why KSP2 has been delayed for 2 years, but it’s a lot more than just the problems/conflicts I mentioned. The developers are also not feeding us “promises”, the only thing you can say that they promised is the release date, but it should be clear to everyone that it’s completely understandable given the situations that the dev team had to go through.

Edited by TruffleSpy

EMH, HELLO, what's the problem with people who say the game has been canceled?
As we say here in Italy "volete la pappa pronta" translated: "you want the baby food ready", to do things well you need TIME.

You're new to the forum, go see the "non-serious stuff" they shared.

Did they announce the closure of the studio? I do not think so.

The "don't release videos every half second" doesn't mean they're scratching their bellies waiting for someone to tell them to release the game.

Sorry for the outburst, but i'm tired of hearing people say that the game will never come out just because the devs haven't shown a video in a few weeks.

7 hours ago, VictoriaBay said:

If extrapolate this to initial release date i can conclude that game was not even close to be ready EVEN if no COVID strikes(which was been formal reason of delay).

I bet on next major "news" will be another delay to 2023 and then - project closing.

Rest in peace, KSP2.

This reminds me of the story of a game I really enjoy.

It was in development hell for years and years; even after it was announced. In the end, it became a completely different game than what it started out as.
It eventually released to critical acclaim, becoming one of the best games of its year.

That game was Doom 2016. If Id software can pull that off, Star Theory Intercept will be fine.

I really think that ksp2 development and postponing is following nasa's sls postponing.

There may be a collaboration between ksp2 and NASA, to display sls content in the game, that cannot be released before the first launch of the sls.

Maybe.

Or else, they want the game to be better than ksp1, which is incredibly hard and needs a lot of time.

5 minutes ago, Odyseus2 said:

I really think that ksp2 development and postponing is following nasa's sls postponing.

There may be a collaboration between ksp2 and NASA, to display sls content in the game, that cannot be released before the first launch of the sls.

Maybe.

Or else, they want the game to be better than ksp1, which is incredibly hard and needs a lot of time.

I can't tell if this is sarcasm, I love this either way.

17 hours ago, VictoriaBay said:

Rest in peace, KSP2.

Welcome to the forums :)

It's important to recognize that KSP2 has had a hard time, mostly surrounding the chaos of Star Theory getting killed off and then the pandemic which would lead to a lot of changes in release time to begin with.

But even beyond THAT the game's scope apparently changed quite a bit after the mess that was early 2020, and for all practical purposes it may as well be a restart for the game.

Welcome to the forums! However, I must disagree with you. There's no evidence to suggest that Take 2 and Intercept are conspiring to maximize our disappointment by cancelling the game as close to the release date as possible. If the game was a train-wreck a long time ago, why keep spending money on it? Why not cancel the game immediately? I think you're seeing a malicious motive where none may exist.

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/forum/113-show-and-tell/

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/forum/110-ksp-2-dev-diaries/

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/profile/205123-nate-simpson/

Honestly, there's no need to catastrophize where there is no evidence to. Am I completely convinced there will be no further delays? No. But is there any strong evidence to suggest that it will? No. Just because the developers don't post one show and tell doesn't mean the game is about to be cancelled.

I think the game is still being developed, but I'm 95% sure that it will disappoint us. I doubt there will be a working multiplayer and automated database system. I'm sure there will be a lot of bugs and outdated graphics. The developers have a very bad PR strategy, they posted small fragments of the game, and now they just stopped communicating with the community. To say that everything is fine with the game, you need to have a very strong imagination.

On 3/18/2022 at 5:58 PM, Laxez said:

The "don't release videos every half second" doesn't mean they're scratching their bellies waiting for someone to tell them to release the game.

Sorry for the outburst, but i'm tired of hearing people say that the game will never come out just because the devs haven't shown a video in a few weeks.

"Damn, there hasn't been any KSP 2 news for 0.00056 picoseconds, guess I better start complaining."

For anyone who genuinely believes the game is dead:
Just compare the amount of time we're waiting for news compared to the longest time we've waited for news.
Expect news to appear in less time than the current longest record.

Spoiler

That is, unless we're making the record right now, in which case, just go do something else. Try an Eve return mission in KSP or something, that'll occupy your time enough until more news comes out.

Edited by intelliCom

3 hours ago, The Aziz said:

"very bad PR strategy"

Considering this won't be an early access title, they have exceptional PR strategy, showing more insight on development than most game devs ever did.

An unstable PR strategy is a very bad strategy. It was not necessary to start with QA and then publish less and less. Would have been silent from the very beginning - there would have been fewer questions. And there would be no need for free lawyers on the forum, telling that bits of information on the game every couple of months is a lot of progress.

14 minutes ago, Alexoff said:

An unstable PR strategy is a very bad strategy. It was not necessary to start with QA and then publish less and less. Would have been silent from the very beginning - there would have been fewer questions. And there would be no need for free lawyers on the forum, telling that bits of information on the game every couple of months is a lot of progress.

Why are you so down about all this? They went from teaser videos every two weeks to new tidbits and dev blogs about once a month. Seems pretty reasonable they’d hold back and stay focused on finishing the game here in the last year. We’ll get more in a few months when they’re ready to get people fired up. Its no biggie. 

41 minutes ago, Pthigrivi said:

Why are you so down about all this? They went from teaser videos every two weeks to new tidbits and dev blogs about once a month. Seems pretty reasonable they’d hold back and stay focused on finishing the game here in the last year. We’ll get more in a few months when they’re ready to get people fired up. Its no biggie. 

Those videos may have also had other purposes bedsides general consumers. It would not surprise me at all if there is a KSP Edu 2 version in the works that will be subscription based for universities, etc. If I had to a wager a guess I think the education stream for KSP might have been the real acquisition goal for Take Two, as it certainly would be the most profitable long term. 

To say that:

5 hours ago, Alexoff said:

I'm 95% sure that it will disappoint us.

5 hours ago, Alexoff said:

you need to have a very strong imagination.

No info is no info, not negative nor positive. 

We knew little to nothing about Elden Ring pretty much all the way up to a couple of months prior to release and it has been a success, we know basically nothing of Starfield apart from a bunch of concept art images and it's still up in the air what kind of game it will be, it could be good or terrible, and plenty of games with huge marketing campaigns turned out to be terrible games when released.

Sometimes I feel like this community is filled with people that never played a videogame outside of KSP, or at least never waited for one to release. 

6 hours ago, Master39 said:

We knew little to nothing about Elden Ring pretty much all the way up to a couple of months prior to release and it has been a success, we know basically nothing of Starfield apart from a bunch of concept art images and it's still up in the air what kind of game it will be, it could be good or terrible, and plenty of games with huge marketing campaigns turned out to be terrible games when released.

Sometimes I feel like this community is filled with people that never played a videogame outside of KSP, or at least never waited for one to release. 

Apparently you don't understand. A normal PR campaign is to not tell anything until the release, like in Apex Legends. A normal PR campaign is to keep up to date with all the events, constantly tell new details of the game. It’s a bad PR campaign to suddenly start talking about the game, talking to fans, trailers, promotional materials, then postponing the game for two years, rare interviews with the developers, then every two weeks something new but insignificant, then silence. It seems that PR managers are replaced every six months and at the same time radically change the PR strategy. Or do you have examples of the same ragged PR campaign?

38 minutes ago, Alexoff said:

Apparently you don't understand. A normal PR campaign is to not tell anything until the release, like in Apex Legends. A normal PR campaign is to keep up to date with all the events, constantly tell new details of the game. It’s a bad PR campaign to suddenly start talking about the game, talking to fans, trailers, promotional materials, then postponing the game for two years, rare interviews with the developers, then every two weeks something new but insignificant, then silence. It seems that PR managers are replaced every six months and at the same time radically change the PR strategy. Or do you have examples of the same ragged PR campaign?

There’s just a huge range of ways developers relate to their fanbases, and I don’t think ‘normal’ really has any meaning here. Obviously there was a big shake up around the time KSP2 moved from Star theory to Intercept, but all the evidence Ive seen seems to indicate they’re taking the time to make the game they’d dreamed KSP2 could be. So far they’ve been hugely generous in keeping up Squad’s community engagement, posting personally on these forums and giving us little tastes of the planets and interface and parts and graphics. The dev blogs are fascinating, the dev videos are awesome, Im just not seeing anything really to complain about?

They've been at it for so long, they can't just give up. They have an entire fanbase to please. There hasn't been a delay yet.

Be hopeful.

Trust the devs here. They work hard enough, don't pressure them.