OJT's Mk.2 Shuttles (All Missions Completed!)

OJT

And here's a surprise: I actually did the Bonus Fuel Pod Missions!

Kerbin Series: STS-1b

In this mission, I must bring a fuel pod to orbit and land (on the runway for Commander Rank). However, the payload this time is provided by the challenge: lots of goodies on board and weighs 40 tons. Picture from the challenge thread below. The orbit altitude and inclination is up to our choice, but the orbit must be as circular as possible, with eccentricity no greater than 0.0001

GMvMYdf.jpg

Obviously, such a behemoth will not fit into Mk.2 cargo bay. But who said we need cargo bays?

Presenting to you: the Fuel Pod Carrier!

1TLK0bX.jpg

TS4q1ms.jpg

This is a rather unconventional design, but it still adheres to my self-imposed Mk.2 rules. To accomodate the Sr. Docking Port, a Mk.2 to 2.5 meter adapter is used

Here's the Carrier with the Fuel Pod attached

SFzl6qn.jpg

Launching the Carrier with the Fuel Pod

Spoiler

CRCQidW.jpg

sPHf7dK.jpg

xUjZm51.jpg

m8JZiTB.jpg

Dmtiqa0.jpg

BAtQ12V.jpg

KYkHniQ.jpg

After reaching space, I use fine controls on RCS to adjust my orbit. This allowed me to get the required eccentricity. You can see it in lower left corner

Spoiler

nZ2d2AO.jpg

Carefully undocking the Fuel Pod. I checked its parameters again to make sure the orbit still had required eccentricity, as before they are in lower left corner

Spoiler

aX3gpK8.jpg

wL08Cv9.jpg

Deorbiting the Carrier

Spoiler

A2Smoyt.jpg

vNk8TZS.jpg

QNGJtdI.jpg

RvgY0Xc.jpg

Approach and landing, smooth as a butter

Spoiler

p3iM20y.jpg

DvsKfid.jpg

5PTK41f.jpg

XUdlmKL.jpg

Kerbin Series: STS-2b

And we are going straight into the Fuel pod recovery mission

Spoiler

CYB7obF.jpg

1tT3Etd.jpg

rpXWjSx.jpg

LD61oJ5.jpg

nVswCCJ.jpg

Rendezvous with the Fuel Pod. I carefully docked to it, but I annoyingly forgot to make pictures of actual docking :mad:

Spoiler

WanN30f.jpg

7TVERqd.jpg

1mmMbQJ.jpg

Deorbiting the Carrier with Fuel Pod. Reentry phase was quite stable

Spoiler

4Qhiqzl.jpg

yUlN1SK.jpg

I glided a bit sideways to break harder to not overshoot the runway, so this meant that I had to make a circle to approach the runway correctly

Spoiler

pzaPtYL.jpg

5W9bctV.jpg

uYcDRJv.jpg

THIS was the hardest landing I've attempted in this thread so far. Orbiter wasn't gliding very well and Fuel Pod would disassemble on touchdown if my vertical velocity was over 1 m/s. It took me multiple attempts to nail this: I firstly let the plane glide at steep angle, then pull up right at the runway and engage the engines a bit to pull up. Combination of all of this allowed me to land the plane intact, with Fuel Pod undamaged

Spoiler

R5UGLlF.jpg

ix2FryX.jpg

Proof that the Fuel Pod resources were not used

10yD9JC.jpg

Starting with Test Pilot missions... NOW

Test Pilot Series: STS-1T

This mission simulates the STS Glide tests that were conducted with Enterprise Shuttle. I must put the Orbiter on top of a carrier plane, fly to 5km altitude, undock from the plane and land on the runway

Here's the whole stack. Orbiter is the same one as in Kerbin STS-1 Mission. Only thing I did to it was to attach a junior docking port to the bottom to attach it to the Carrier Plane and I removed the engine and replaced it with a nose cone. Carrier Plane is new design and also made up out of Mk.2 Parts

D6sg8ap.jpg

kX5WlqX.jpg

Taking off from the runway

Spoiler

qc7THnt.jpg

C28mnCm.jpg

Turning westward and gaining altitude

Spoiler

FgRfU53.jpg

C5aUXzw.jpg

Cinematic shot of the climb

y8NNqFu.jpg

Once I got some distance from the runway, I turned eastward and reached the 5km altitude

Spoiler

66eSIGF.jpg

Undocking the Orbiter

Spoiler

DRieeDt.jpg

fjS7eLs.jpg

y0rleRr.jpg

Gliding the Orbiter towards the runway and landing. You may've noticed that I parked the Orbiter to the side of the runway...

Spoiler

HMUGcKR.jpg

qVrYPck.jpg

pDYujyB.jpg

... It's because we are actually gonna land the Carrier Plane aswell, no extra saves! I switched to it right after landing the Orbiter

Spoiler

yr1Rrzq.jpg

VlDJG5e.jpg

U0aptHk.jpg

vfjnQ5W.jpg

al3ZwTN.jpg

Parking both Planes next to each other

z7Z7Elj.jpg

Test Pilot Series: STS-2T

In this Mission, we will be emulating the RTLS abort procedure: I must launch as usual, disengage one engine at T +30s, fly to 50km altitude and then reverse and return to the runway

Orbiter and Launch System is same as in Kerbin STS-1 Mission: I only switched one Mammoth with four Vector engines to allow to turn off one engine

MNTVTUp.jpg

Disengaging one engine at T+30s

Spoiler

c1vEGq8.jpg

Flying to 50 km altitude

Spoiler

FhiBRK4.jpg

Zeuul95.jpg

0N0MLqU.jpg

As soon as I pass 50km, I turn around with engines still burning and fly back towards the runway

Spoiler

eh8Nb9T.jpg

4nYvNbM.jpg

As I jettisoned the Orbiter and engaged its Aerospike, the decoupler ring exploded under the heat of the engine plumes. The Orbiter otherwise is fully intact

Spoiler

whQSwqw.jpg

LYrGUby.jpg

Entering thicker atmosphere layers

Spoiler

BuZTSL0.jpg

26pMbgn.jpg

X0Ttmqv.jpg

Gliding towards the runway

Spoiler

IQ9YbfC.jpg

dvhxyl2.jpg

1VCcF1x.jpg

Smooth landing after an abort procedure

Spoiler

rkQcpI8.jpg

2DjKEXo.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Test Pilot Series: STS-3T

This mission is noticeably different from other STS missions: vast majority of this mission we will not be controlling the shuttle! Instead, what we need to do is to "recreate" the Cassini-Huygens mission: we must build an orbiter probe and a lander and then send it to explore the Joolian system

This mission has very strict requirements, both in terms of payload design and mission profile. Here's the excrept from the STS thread

• The transfer stage must consist of solid rocket boosters only, and must separate after a single burn in LKO
  • The Cassini probe must be at least 1,5 tons, the Huygens lander must be at least 1 ton
  • The Cassini-Huygens spacecraft + the transfer stage must fit into the long MK3 cargo bay
  • The Cassini spacecraft and Huygens lander must enter Jool's SOI before separating from each other
  • The Cassini probe has to flyby at least four of Jool's moons and finish its mission by entering Jool's atmosphere, where it will meet its fiery end
  • The Huygens lander will land on Laythe
  • The only fuel tanks allowed on the spacecraft and the lander are: a single R-12 "Doughnut" for the Cassini probe and a single "Oskar-B" fuel tank for the Huygens lander

Let's check the payload. First up is the Cassini orbiter. Weighs exactly 1.5 tons and has only one Doughnut fuel tank. Parameters can be seen on KER readouts

MBs9tqr.jpg

HYaIa6D.jpg

Here is the Huygens lander. Exactly 1 ton and only one Oskar-B tank. Although I did drain it a bit to get the 1 ton weight

GckRftX.jpg

lkvlvOm.jpg

Here's the stack with the SRB transfer stage. Orbiter and lander are connected to one another with a stack separator. 8 Shrimp boosters and 1 Hammer booster, and everything fits inside one long Mk.3 cargo bay, as required

4jaawuY.jpg

KezeVgS.jpg

Dxu3sRH.jpg

Time to launch this beast to Low Kerbin Orbit

Spoiler

Ov5Ao7t.jpg

rxPKCSM.jpg

wliQy0O.jpg

mCJSMPe.jpg

D9tMmYS.jpg

Small correction to get circular orbit

4i3nfSN.jpg

As you can notice, the stack doesn't fit into Mk.2 bay (well, duh), so I flew up with doors open and the stack itself mounted at a small angle. And yes, this IS the Orbiter from Duna series: among the Orbiters I had this one seemed most suitable for the mission ahead

Detaching the stack from the Orbiter

Spoiler

GFouGEH.jpg

My transfer stage had exactly 2142 m/s of dV. So I setup the Jool maneuver in such a way that it would require exactly 2142 m/s dV to execute and then proceed with the burn. And even though Hammer booster burns through its fuel faster than the Shrimp boosters, it is still a single stage as all SRBs were engaged at the same time

Spoiler

kQbzsn9.jpg

Proof of single stage burn

9lIIhyI.jpg

After the burn, the Stack detaches from SRB transfer stage and flies towards Jool

Spoiler

SvHBAtc.jpg

8clDfWa.jpg

Orbiter in the meanwhile does the deorbit burn, descends towards KSC and lands on the runway, easy peasy

Spoiler

HB6GkzZ.jpg

sLANMlY.jpg

n5if5gY.jpg

JnjhU5R.jpg

IeJ7Dk9.jpg

Stack performs a correction burn with Huygens' engine to set up a Laythe fly-by

Spoiler

UPjbhC1.jpg

C050Q2M.jpg

After reaching Jool SOI, Cassini and Huygens separate

Spoiler

Proof of Stack in Jool SOI before separation

78X9OH7.jpg

w7wRmwt.jpg

Both Cassini and Huygens perform small correction maneuvers each: Cassini sets up the Tylo fly-by and Huygens puts its periapsis into Laythe atmosphere for entry

Spoiler

MUkUcUJ.jpg

VwKBA9o.jpg

Huygens maneuver

pC3wfmw.jpg

Cassini maneuver to set up Tylo fly-by

hXOHZ5N.jpg

First fly-by of four: Laythe. Even though it is not required by the mission and this is a Sandbox save, I perform science experiments and send them back to Kerbin

Spoiler

cByiUZS.jpg

itOguWD.jpg

Huygens entry. I did one small radial correction before that because I thought that I would reenter too fast and risk burning up

Spoiler

rqngSZU.jpg

X31SF4h.jpg

Huygens survives the entry and deploys the parachute

Spoiler

nD4uvb2.jpg

6Nqh8pn.jpg

By some absolute miracle, I actually landed on land. Not only that, I landed on a shore very close to the ocean. To say I got lucky with the landing would be an understatement. Huygens also performed some experiments and quickly sent it to Kerbin before Cassini was out of reach

Spoiler

1EjhBX4.jpg

Screenshot I made later in the daylight to show the landing spot

v5u6mxL.jpg

rPdEXfJ.jpg

Returning to Cassini: it flies towards Tylo and performs the 2nd fly-by out of 4 moons required

Spoiler

BvlWzep.jpg

T2SHFLo.jpg

After the Tylo fly-by, I plotted and executed a maneuver to set up Vall fly-by. This maneuver would also raise the apoapsis high enough to reach Pol orbit

Spoiler

Vall fly-by maneuver

J4S17If.jpg

tg9WNUK.jpg

3rd fly-by out of 4: Vall. Fly-by occured during the Joolian eclipse so I couldn't snap screenshots in good lighting, so I added another snap from map view to show the fly-by happening

Spoiler

d24rIfn.jpg

TBcQehE.jpg

Before the Vall fly-by I also plotted a maneuver for Pol encounter. This maneuver would happen several orbits around Jool later

Spoiler

Pol fly-by maneuver

hhQ8uib.jpg

ngjAlL3.jpg

Lots of days later, Cassini reaches Pol, completing the fly-by of 4 different moons as required by mission objective

Spoiler

U5valet.jpg

vFKc4u1.jpg

Now is the time to send Cassini into Jool to finish off the mission. I plot a maneuver to get a Tylo fly-by that will sling the Probe into the gas giant

Spoiler

2nd Tylo fly-by maneuver

9seEu6Q.jpg

ugnI7ba.jpg

lhAeagA.jpg

Final trajectory

0oW5sNr.jpg

Flying into Jool and hitting its atmosphere pretty much vertically

Spoiler

WN7zVdt.jpg

9Go5C98.jpg

u4ajOtC.jpg

After some explosions I found out that Power and Propulsion section of the Cassini survived this extreme reentry. Although I couldn't control it because probe core exploded, I still took the time to enjoy a fantastic sunrise. This is actually the first time ever I dived into Jool

Spoiler

GfH0PFS.jpg

asaBVeW.jpg

KiWeI2V.jpg

But not even Power and Propulsion section can survive Jool's lower layers. After reaching -250 meters altitude the rest of the Cassini got annihilated, reaching its final objective and concluding this amazingly fun mission

s1TPkRA.jpg

Edited by OJT

Test Pilot Series: STS-4T

In this mission, we must perform maintenance on a Skylab station using two separate Shuttles. Here are mission objectives for each shuttle (direct quote from challenge thread)

The first shuttle mission will:

• Rendezvous with Skylab
  • Bring a docking adapter for all the future missions - the docking ports do not have enough clearance for a shuttle
  • Remove and deorbit the solar/comms array (detachable via docking port jr.)
  • Disconnect, load into a cargo bay and land the hab module (detachable via docking port sr.)
  • Dock a rocket stage to Skylab, which will boost the station into an at least 200 km/200 km orbit

The second shuttle mission will:

• Rendezvous and dock with skylab (which is now in a 200 km/200 km orbit)
  • Bring a new habitation module
  • Bring a new solar/comms module
  • Bring crew of at least 3 to Skylab

Both Shuttles must return to Kerbin afterwards

The Skylab station is provided by the challenge and can be either launched to orbit using a rocket or placed there through Cheat Menu. Either way, its Pe and Ap values must be between 80 and 90 km and inclination must be between 50 and 52 degrees. I opted for Cheat Menu placement (Inclination is in lower left corner)

Spoiler

DxWwG0V.jpg

MCdxn98.jpg

Time to check out the Shuttle I will be using. Uses similar concept as Fuel Pod Orbiter. Payload will be placed in the middle. The Orbiter on the screenshot is the first one, the second one has additional passenger bay to carry Kerbals to Skylab (I forgot to take snaps of it in SPH)

Lp57Kuc.jpg

d2ReVn4.jpg

Here's payload for first mission: nuclear rocket stage, docking port adapter and Assembly Drone that will be doing the maintenance work

KbiQRf0.jpg

Launch to orbit

Spoiler

lbOSSH7.jpg

EyIdx9o.jpg

F5sWcbA.jpg

A1hoahd.jpg

rVowNj3.jpg

Encounter with Skylab

Spoiler

V0zMa9P.jpg

MlbNFX9.jpg

6Hqjn6z.jpg

Orbiter is "parked" not far from Skylab and Assembly Drone gets to work. First it docks the Rocket Stage with the assistance of the Docking Adapter

Spoiler

u3sDj3m.jpg

11MdmiC.jpg

yAWhWj5.jpg

dYVvXIo.jpg

It then docks the Adapter itself to one of the side ports and attaches to Hab Module afterwards

Spoiler

UuQOGuP.jpg

B6NtmnT.jpg

Now that the Adapter is ready, Orbiter can be docked to Skylab

Spoiler

6ohHyxb.jpg

IqeJmh4.jpg

Assembly Drone then carries the Hab Module to the Orbiter

Spoiler

xhSXmIk.jpg

SJm4JFa.jpg

hRZcyMg.jpg

Solar/Comms array is detached, Assembly Drone docks to it and performs a retrograde burn with RCS thrusters. After that, Solar/Comms array is left behind to deorbit and Assembly Drone burns back to Skylab and docks to it. It will stay docked to Skylab until the second Shuttle arrives

Spoiler

CQIHzv8.jpg

M9TaCzL.jpg

C6ym31K.jpg

OPwtbMM.jpg

MQrUQ3P.jpg

eatXxA8.jpg

FMileU3.jpg

Solar array survives reentry, but is destroyed on splashdown

uKLV9p7.jpg

q1RdoEh.jpg

First Shuttle returns to KSC runway with the Hab Module

Spoiler

CohTeUg.jpg

5FU1uUy.jpg

m1Ix5Uh.jpg

o11sL7q.jpg

5PyWiTX.jpg

Bc0mX2b.jpg

Skylab in the meanwhile is boosted to 200x200km orbit

Spoiler

jzLoHLP.jpg

6kPzlYF.jpg

KcBbeKY.jpg

Second Shuttle's payload: new Hab Module and modified Solar/Comms array: it has a probe core and RCS capability for maneuvering

3h9H2DK.jpg

Launch of second Orbiter

Spoiler

IIC8aZe.jpg

7hYlvPw.jpg

V0dhVuF.jpg

cqyRuAO.jpg

Additional passenger bay clearly visible in this screenshot

EYZ0ZvG.jpg

Approaching Skylab and docking to it

Spoiler

Yy3LP5C.jpg

RX8pjER.jpg

yNrRUOF.jpg

NWc3zGJ.jpg

First goes the new Solar/Comms array

Spoiler

bqfubN4.jpg

LLfDrzi.jpg

Now Assembly Drone grabs the new Hab Module and docks it to Skylab

Spoiler

9kYpfwL.jpg

N58w53N.jpg

zCNnkkW.jpg

edygVoj.jpg

By this point Assembly Drone fulfilled its task. It grabs the truss structure that was used to hold the payload of second Shuttle and deorbits with RCS thrusters

Spoiler

pl0u6U0.jpg

tSBnKrC.jpg

3 Kerbals board the Skylab one by one

Spoiler

3VIn1KN.jpg

Shuttle undocks and descends towards KSC

Spoiler

o6KQK98.jpg

0FNRdFH.jpg

lrWJdT4.jpg

8GfOQha.jpg

AdM1M29.jpg

XHT4Roy.jpg

Smooth landing

BK13L5h.jpg

And this concludes the mission! Final screenshot showing 3 Kerbals inside Skylab and its orbit parameters in KER window

yqn6CY7.jpg

Test Pilot Series: STS-5T

This mission will be the Shuttle-Apollo crossover: a Shuttle will carry the Command module for three and Munar lander for two kerbals to Mun. There, Apollo will undock and complete its mission of landing on the Mun and returning. Shuttle in the meanwhile will return to Kerbin through free return trajectory, perform direct entry into atmosphere and land on the runway

I will be using Duna-spec Orbiter again due to its sizeable cargo bay, generous deltaV and best reentry capabilities of all the Shuttles I designed for these challenges. Apollo Stack is pictured below: Mun Lander is made out of two Mk.1 command pods (therefore two seats), Command module is made out of one Mk.1 command pod and one Mk.1 passenger bay (therefore 3 seats).

KdmSR1l.jpg

Launch

Spoiler

OIxMtVY.jpg

DUxGtZu.jpg

bigmSa1.jpg

1t78kzF.jpg

FZJjSlk.jpg

Setting up a free return trajectory maneuver and performing the burn

Spoiler

Maneuver

rlPejcS.jpg

9rXqsRB.jpg

Vcs0gMl.jpg

After entering Mun SOI, Apollo undocks from the Orbiter and enters low Mun orbit. Due to initial periapsis being quite high, Apollo first performs a radial correction and then does a retrograde burn, entering a 13x15km orbit

Spoiler

Proof of Mun SOI

zN4a1Ck.jpg

EyD239k.jpg

3 kerbals inside: two will land, one will stay in orbit. Just like in real life Apollo missions

M7R1Oik.jpg

CelweAP.jpg

Apollo Mun orbit

odnwKHB.jpg

After parking Apollo in orbit, I switch back to Orbiter. It does one small correction burn (as is allowed by the challenge requirements) on way to Kerbin. After hard, but safe entry Orbiter descends and lands on KSC runway

Spoiler

QNxbrbO.jpg

Bo7LBlS.jpg

ks4QiYC.jpg

uShCDdn.jpg

D7Hi91c.jpg

WwLNlrw.jpg

Safe landing

LgTQ5hw.jpg

After this, I switch to Apollo again to commence the landing

Spoiler

Spotted the Munarch from orbit. If I noticed it earlier I would've tried to land near it

f4e5euc.jpg

iqS7iZM.jpg

k1Vj49M.jpg

COYE5os.jpg

Planting a flag and posing for a photo

Spoiler

gWBvsWx.jpg

7FwinVf.jpg

Launching from Mun. I timed my ascent really well so I only needed to make a small correction after achieving orbit to encounter the Command module

Spoiler

zrHVngO.jpg

8jFdGt1.jpg

vCJnNH5.jpg

VketBTk.jpg

After docking both crafts, I transfer the kerbals and what little fuel there was left in Lander into the Command module. Then, I span my ship around and undocked the Lander during the spin so the craft is deorbited without fuel usage. After this Command module burns towards Kerbin

Spoiler

xOnQAWD.jpg

LWt1wEv.jpg

TeaYspD.jpg

Kjvywj3.jpg

Entry into atmosphere. Shortly before that I decouple the S/P module and turn retrograde

Spoiler

LnfXkkZ.jpg

lTdiHHD.jpg

tfwmhVX.jpg

BJzfUEc.jpg

After slowing down the parachutes are deployed and Command module softly lands in Grasslands region

Spoiler

1ZxnCou.jpg

nJcMy1l.jpg

uN2iQRM.jpg

mYYGs7f.jpg

And with this, only one mission in STS Challenge remains! Mun flag location is below

K8m52OD.jpg

Test Pilots Series: STS-6T

Final mission in the STS Challenge thread, and it is an unusual one. In this mission you must make a recoverable version of the booster that can safely land or splashdown on Kerbin. Booster must be "dumb" one, as in it must have no probe cores or any other means of controlling it after it detaches from the Orbiter. What's the unusual part? Booster must be recovered manually: whether it is a boat, a helicopter or any other method, I must fetch the landed/splashdowned booster and bring it to Spaceplane Hangar in KSC

First we will be doing the launch. I will be using the same Launcher configuration as in STS-2T, which itself was a functional equivalent to Kerbin STS-1 Launcher. Only difference is that the Orbiter has a probe core that I can use to control the ship, but the recoverable booster part will be still uncontrolled

To make recoveries for me easier, I will be taking more vertical approach compared to other launches. The Orbiter still has enough fuel to enter orbit by itself, which will be demonstrated, so the real launch is, while less efficient, is still possible with this profile

Spoiler

BA1juyq.jpg

fKHw2sU.jpg

xdycFKf.jpg

After emptying the Booster, it is detached from the Orbiter. I put parachute activation on the same stage as decoupling so they will deploy by themselves when booster slows down in lower thicker atmosphere. Orbiter in the meanwhile turns on its engine and reaches (slightly elliptical) orbit

Spoiler

NC7HOWn.jpg

dMS0RTr.jpg

6BlEoq6.jpg

Orbiter's final orbit

Bnf1b6K.jpg

Switching back to Booster. As you can see parachutes are engaged and it has no means of controlling it. After entry parachutes are deployed and it splashed down not too far from KSC

Spoiler

MvgsOwQ.jpg

ZZiv9sB.jpg

gPODyfq.jpg

b9XXZoP.jpg

Booster location

ibHTdub.jpg

Time to bring it back. After some testing I ended up with this rather unusual boat. Made out of Mk.2 fuselage parts, has winglets as aerofoils and Goliaths for propulsion

nUtEOpl.jpg

4MCabjH.jpg

And here's a surprise: it flies! Not very stable mind you, but stable enough to quickly reach the Booster 120ish km away

Spoiler

uLkTkVM.jpg

n8lDzwP.jpg

gDogVpL.jpg

Here's the Booster! Time to land. Except that Recovery Craft doesn't glide well at low speeds, so it has parachutes to slowdown and gently splashdown

Spoiler

VNcUz30.jpg

H05elca.jpg

DFcNuoh.jpg

Part of the reason I chose Goliaths is their reverse thrust capability. This allowed me to reverse towards the Booster and grab it with the grabber arm

Spoiler

23rHqJQ.jpg

ipxArt8.jpg

8SgIIlA.jpg

Time for a slow swim towards KSC: it took me about half an hour with 4x phys time warp

Spoiler

vh9q6Ef.jpg

IavLoTN.jpg

Slowly approaching shore and driving out of the water. My initial plan was that I could use one Vector on the booster briefly to power through steep slope. Recovery Craft even has some Oxidizer for this purpose. But thrust of two Goliaths proved to be sufficient, so help from Booster was unnecessary

Spoiler

wcwZrbE.jpg

Rez0Zba.jpg

Be57tXP.jpg

Driving towards Spaceplane Hangar

Spoiler

HSA5oQg.jpg

8PGOdc8.jpg

Booster is returned to KSC!

iVrXGNL.jpg

And this, finally, at last, concludes the STS Challenge! I completed all of the missions using Mk.2 fuselage parts for my Orbiters, all on Commander ranks and all with Stock parts. But this might not be the end of my STS shenanigans. If I come up with something interesting that adheres to STS Challenge rules (or if there will be new additions to STS Challenge thread) I will be posting it here ;)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello people, long time no see

I was fairly inactive in the forum in general. Partly due to IRL stuff, but also because I was mainly playing Beyond Home planet pack and because vast majority of the challenges are aimed towards stock planets, I didn't have much reason to post here. However, STS Challenge thread does allow custom planet packs, and because of that I decided to put together a lil sumthin sumthin.

Introducing:

Rhode-Lua STS-1

Rhode is the home planet of Beyond Home planet pack. It is slightly smaller than Kerbin and has slightly less dense atmosphere. The main feature of Rhode however is that it has three (yes, three) moons with vastly different features and characteristics. In this mission we will be going to the nearest moon: Lua. Lua is a very unique moon: it has thin atmosphere, is partially terraformed (according to in-mod lore) and it also has its own (fully usable) launchpad and runway! So to flex our capabilities, we will be landing on Lua Runway, deploy a payload and return back to Rhode and land on KSC Runway

Here's our craft, still adhering to Mk.2 rules

D4gs66e.jpg

Here's the payload: a small unmanned rocket that can launch from Lua sea level and reach its orbit

Xwpcnoj.jpg

Here's the Launcher: SRB first stage and Poodle-powered second stage

zITqiS9.jpg

Launch and ascent to orbit

Spoiler

fHOAr9n.jpg

Yes, these are two suns! How cool is that?

N0NWyFm.jpg

k9t5szZ.jpg

Decoupling SRB

5L5Io7c.jpg

Deploying fairing

rQYdf9k.jpg

rjMGmMG.jpg

Burning towards Lua

Spoiler

j2Uj0xS.jpg

tina7Bs.jpg

Approaching Lua and entering low orbit around it. I could aerobrake, but I had enough fuel to circularize, so I engaged the engine

Spoiler

6c6aJxa.jpg

mjHNCHB.jpg

After doing my deorbit burn, I decoupled the transfer stage and glided towards the runway

Spoiler

Hw8NGRp.jpg

Pointing radial out to reduce velocity

fNE5RSx.jpg

Runway was just over the hill, so I briefly turned on the engine to not crash into it

Spoiler

y5hGlY1.jpg

Now was the hardest part of the mission: actually sticking the landing. My velocity was still way too big, atmosphere was too thin for my wings to provide enough lift and due to runway not being perfectly aligned with equator I was approaching it at a slight angle. For this purpose I packed up some parachutes but even with those the landing was on thin margins: I briefly went over runway surface during braking but I steered my way back to it

Spoiler

PSRmnbv.jpg

FlinTLU.jpg

dfGjGRA.jpg

hxaaPYf.jpg

And we are landed on Lua! Time to deploy our payload rocket

Spoiler

4OpS0nD.jpg

b0l04uw.jpg

Our mini rocket launches and reaches orbit around Lua with around 700 m/s deltaV left for future orbit adjustments

Spoiler

dgWqii8.jpg

ibvQ2Mt.jpg

Bpd9c02.jpg

In the meanwhile, Bill repacks the parachutes, and the Orbiter taxies for a bit to get more space to accelerate

Spoiler

2Uh5txx.jpg

f69hckR.jpg

scL2vy1.jpg

Launch. I baaaarely made it off ground, but in the end we reached orbit

Spoiler

FLlKnXQ.jpg

nYI54iX.jpg

H2sGGfF.jpg

BFc71TU.jpg

After one orbit, we burn towards Rhode

Spoiler

pJjJ7Zi.jpg

HN4trWI.jpg

StpoPUN.jpg

Reentering Rhode's atmosphere

Spoiler

C1EM6AR.jpg

RjXFMiM.jpg

ceOHJoZ.jpg

KSC runway was, unfortunately, on the other side of the planet, so I basically had to glide around half the globe (with periodically burning to extend the glide) to reach it

Spoiler

SHEmRyc.jpg

bUeaskp.jpg

AbStH2k.jpg

Smooth landing on the runway

Spoiler

gtFlVaq.jpg

dp85WhO.jpg

And this concludes another STS mission, this time on another star system!

ZarU780.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.