OJT's Mk.2 Shuttles (All Missions Completed!)

OJT

Hello fellas

Time for another challenge. And for a change, I am not doing a Jool 5! This time, we are doing shuttles: in particular, I will be attempting the challenges from Shuttle Challenge v6 monitored by sturmhauke and Artienia. Here's the link to it.

While I am allowed to post my submissions directly there, I decided to make a separate thread for it so it is easier for me to monitor and report my progress. I will be doing the challenges in chronological order starting from Kerbin Series. Here are the details:

• All orbiters will be based on Mk.2 plane parts. This will require very careful design of my payloads since Mk.2 cargo bays are quite small, but it will make the challenge more interesting
  • I will be doing as many missions as I possibly can: Kerbin Series will be done fully, I haven't done any planning for the rest for now but it should also be manageable with above-mentioned limitations
  • However, non-mandatory missions like Kerbin bonus missions and Test Pilot Series will be skipped     UPD: I WILL be doing Asteroid Bonus Mission and Test Pilot Series. I am still skipping the Fuel Pod missions though UPD2: I managed to do the Fuel Pod missions after all. Mission reports of them further down
  • I will be attempting to do Commander ranks on all missions. Incase I will encounter payload size limitations for certain missions, I will be finishing them with Pilot rank
  • All missions are done on separate Sandbox save with Normal difficulty. CommNET is also on, which means I will need to bring along antennas for interplanetary missions
  • Only mods are KER and visuals. Everything else is stock. This qualifies me for stock entry according to challenge rules

If I forgot something worth noting, I will be expanding this list accordingly.

Badge Progress:

Kerbin Series: AX2Tsan.jpg SqFdIsd.jpg bGPhsRD.jpg iS5yWtc.jpg RLAcd9v.jpg vnayumf.jpg p5sBhgu.jpg Af7WOZE.jpg

Kerbin Bonus Series: oQVsUD5.jpg

Mun Series:  IqAxHYn.jpg dp7pOFU.jpg lUmkIxv.jpg

Duna Series: NXN5f6Z.jpg wQnzFzv.jpg jpOK7Ud.jpg

Eve Series: adKm14s.jpg

Jool Series: uQLcuXu.jpg

Minmus Series: Rxy9EIF.jpg

Test Pilot Series: q8ndB1J.jpg ynmXxp2.jpg yJEu31L.jpg cWa4DNM.jpg mgL044n.jpg 5rPWXBH.jpg

But for now, let's begin

Kerbin Series: STS-1a

First mission is fairly easy: I simply need to get to orbit and return. For Commander rank, I will need to land on a runway. Definitions of a runway are fairly liberal, I can land on any runway the game provides and even add my own with Kerbal Konstructs mod, but since I am doing a stock entry and since I don't have Making History DLC, this only leaves me with KSC and Island runways

This is the Mk.2 orbiter I made

GBjZ3Ov.jpg

It is a rather unconventional design dare I say, but it works like a charm! It is a long narrow plane based on my tests with lifting body aircraft. There are two solar panels at the front, shielded docking port on the nose and a cargo bay. In the cargo bay, there is another docking port for payloads and 1k battery in the back. Aerospike engine provides good TWR, decent vacuum Isp, good sea level Isp (incase I will need extra range during atmospheric flight) and is fairly light. It also has airbrakes to control the approach speed at landing easier. It has no RCS thrusters, but I won't be needing them for this challenge

Spoiler

ksa4onO.jpg

K7sEHym.jpg

nSxDa5f.jpg

There will be minor changes between crafts that I will be using throughout Kerbin Series depending on the task they need to accomplish, but every single Orbiter will be following the same form-factor and will be the same size: there will be no radical transformations between the crafts I will be using

Let's take a look at the Launch System now

LKBz7pK.jpg

Not much to say about it, fairly simple setup. Two big tanks, 4 big wings, Mammoth engine and a silver fairing around the plane. As you can guess, the orbiter is mounted on the top

Now that we saw our spacecraft, let's fly the mission. First is ascent phase: first screenshot is somewhat dark because I had wrong TUFX config on : / 

Spoiler

rWJTO2p.jpg

h9XEPnU.jpg

i6Pyi4F.jpg

7aME0Xr.jpg

At 55 km altitude, fairing is deployed, revealing the Orbiter

Spoiler

4oJ6OWx.jpg

eZmoKEA.jpg

Just before getting the periapsis above ground, plane is detached from the Launcher and completes the burn while the Launcher descends back to Kerbin. At the end, 80x81km orbit is achieved

Spoiler

8JoBUcI.jpg

YvO6DR3.jpg

PJOvexy.jpg

XhDXZ98.jpg

After couple of orbits, I perform the deorbit burn and reenter the atmosphere

Spoiler

KjY4ina.jpg

0VMXJ2q.jpg

I overshot the KSC, but not by much. I simply turned around and glided towards the runway

Spoiler

7HB1Le1.jpg

O4fltt7.jpg

3hFmQqs.jpg

Smooth landing concludes the STS-1a mission!

Spoiler

UqfVCGJ.jpg

Eh2yUYf.jpg

Edited by OJT

Hey there

Artienia verified the STS-1a report and I got my first (of hopefully many) Commander badges :)

AX2Tsan.jpg

Which means I can go ahead with the next mission

Kerbin Series: STS-2a

This is the first mission in the challenge that requires bringing some kind of payload. In this particular mission, I need to deploy some comsats to Kerbin geostationary orbit. For the Commander rank, I need to deploy at least three satellites and they need to be deployed to equidistant orbits, after which the Orbiter must land at the runway

Orbiter model is the same as in STS-1a, but this time there will be cargo in payload bay: three comsats based on QBE probe core

KjTBCCU.jpg

Comsats have small deployable antennas, a bit of fuel for orbit insertion and station keeping, solar panels all around and small reaction wheels. First comsat is held by a docking port, the other two are connected with stack separators and the last sat is strutted to the shuttle to avoid wobbliness

With the changes covered, let's get straight to launch

Spoiler

d9JatzQ.jpg

5rw5n1V.jpg

waitEHP.jpg

I will be inserting at higher orbit, since the Commander rank requires me to get to orbit higher than 350km before sat deployment. In the end, parking orbit of 568x573km is achieved. Launcher was jettisoned just before raising periapsis above Kerbin so it does not stay in space

Spoiler

wGqrCac.jpg

S3voLY7.jpg

EF9f4r0.jpg

lNMd8Sj.jpg

In order to deploy my satellites in equidistant orbits, I first need to insert the Orbiter in a resonant orbit. For this, I used this website for resonant orbit calculations and it gave me an orbit of 1,222,703x2,863,334m. So I matched the plane's orbit as close as I could

Spoiler

zVDCdTy.jpg

SPKRCzD.jpg

pjDofNc.jpg

Now it is the time to deploy the sats. They were deployed one after another and each performed the required insertion burns. At the end, I got a constellation of three satellites with orbits very close to geostationary. I don't know how precise my orbits must be to satisfy the challenge requirements, but I think this will be sufficient

Spoiler

urobiTN.jpg

XScGoBQ.jpg

1qm7vMi.jpg

Yd3rEIy.jpg

DDkzFCO.jpg

LyqE0PU.jpg

IFL0n3F.jpg

Orbit of first satellite

8NCt0Pp.jpg

Orbit of second satellite

YI3IJSA.jpg

Orbit of third satellite and final constellation

vvVoDqK.jpg

After satellite deployment, Orbiter performs small deorbit burn and proceeds to do couple of aerobraking passes to lower the apoapsis to around 75km. After that, periapsis was raised to roughly the same altitude

Spoiler

93n6J5S.jpg

KHNlDKZ.jpg

IZ0CgXm.jpg

N77MVqE.jpg

After parking in low orbit, I planned the deorbit burn carefully in order to approach the KSC runway at optimal speed. I didn't overshoot the KSC this time, so it paid off

Spoiler

HnGewn3.jpg

29zrqV0.jpg

9EEd2Jc.jpg

wEf6TEs.jpg

RJIyHbW.jpg

Another smooth touchdown, another mission completed!

Kerbin Series: STS-3

For STS-3 mission I need to bring a space telescope into orbit and then put solar panels on it. In addition, assembly must be performed by MMU units that need to be designed by me and I need to bring along two MMU units for two pilots. For Commander rank, I must deploy the telescope at 550km+ orbit with 25-30 degree inclination and land the Orbiter on the runway

This mission turned out to be trickier than I initially expected. I first assumed that jetpacks count as MMU units: they don't, I missed the requirement that MMUs must be designed for the task at hand. Then I made an MMU unit with a cargo bay on it where panels were stored. My plan was that I would get closer to the telescope with an engineer in MMU seat and then do EVA construction. Turns out engineers can't EVA construct while seated in External Seat... :mad:

At this point I was actually curious on how I was meant to attach the damn solar panels, so I checked out some submissions from other users. The solution turned out to be rather trivial: putting a solar panel on a structure with docking ports, putting a matching port on the telescope itself and docking the two together

This is the setup I came up with

HW3FIak.jpg

As you can see, limitations of Mk.2 cargo bays start to show. MMU units with solar panels are mounted at the back, telescope is mounted on the front. It has two docking ports, antennas for connection and a probe core (no propulsion systems though). Telescope is actually too thick to fit into closed cargo bay, so the ascent will be done with half of the doors open. I can do this without risking damaging the cargo, since the plane will be in a fairing anyway and the fairing itself is sizable enough to fit the plane with open cargo doors

4MvB8zg.jpg

Aside from the cargo inside, the Orbiter is the same as in previous two missions

Launch is trivial, not much to say here. Except that I flew slightly northeast to get the inclination I need

Spoiler

UBLSmSW.jpg

CZZZrZb.jpg

TPWCB27.jpg

CeMlvQL.jpg

YKgdrPh.jpg

Final orbit is 595x599km with an inclination of 27.2 degrees. Inclination can be seen in the bottom left corner

YmD0G9N.jpg

After parking in target orbit, deployment operations may begin. First telescope decouples

Spoiler

8wyyQDS.jpg

tlMlCa9.jpg

After that, two engineers board their respective MMUs and dock to the telescope one by one, attaching the solar panels

Spoiler

TUFX causes graphical glitches on some parts, so ignore the wonky looking telescope

3A9A6oT.jpg

m3W6aSE.jpg

zyJPH5A.jpg

wWGPbYy.jpg

w1m8Nuj.jpg

Then, engineers undock and maneuver back to the Orbiter. Space Telescope successfully deployed and assembled!

Spoiler

5F3waLe.jpg

Bp2Qpu3.jpg

OXTOp4u.jpg

H1MDwhF.jpg

xvPBHfR.jpg

Ready to conduct science

HqVn4PQ.jpg

After returning to Orbiter, a deorbit burn and aerobrake to lower orbit are performed. In the end, Orbiter parks at 73x75km orbit and waits for suitable window for reentry

Spoiler

x7FcRmF.jpg

NIKLCeY.jpg

68Ckmu7.jpg

FjlZ0XL.jpg

zvVPz7I.jpg

After a suitable window comes up, Orbiter performs one more deorbit burn and reenters the atmosphere. I had to bank a bit during the entry phase to approach the runway at right attitude

Spoiler

wNt13eE.jpg

Xe2jBqY.jpg

vi14z3A.jpg

Glide and landing was superb

Spoiler

ZCt8aSU.jpg

L5CLVck.jpg

RuJDBeY.jpg

STS-3 completed!

Edited by OJT

Artienia verified the next two missions. Another two Commander badges go into Progress section

bGPhsRD.jpg RLAcd9v.jpg

Let's proceed with next mission

Kerbin Series: STS-4

STS 4 is a unique mission: for this one we will need two Shuttles. One will go into orbit with astronauts onboard, the second one must then rendezvous with the first one. Crew in the first orbiter must then transfer into second one and return to Kerbin. For Commander rank, the first Orbiter must have 6 kerbals onboard and must be launched into 350km+ orbit at an inclination of 25-30 degrees, second one must land on the runway

This mission consists of two parts: STS 4 for first Orbiter and STS 4R for second Orbiter. This report will cover the first one

ybpr7oY.jpg

This is the first Orbiter specification that has noticeable change compared to the ones used in previous missions: one of the cargo bays have been replaced with a Mk.2 passenger compartment to accomodate the kerbals needed for the mission. However, as I mentioned in the first post, the form factor and size of the Orbiter remains the same, keeping the changes fairly minor

Launch to orbit is fairly trivial, so I will keep it short. Final orbit is 375x377km with 25,9 degree inclination

Spoiler

NJNXo6A.jpg

xs17Ucl.jpg

DXOI6xh.jpg

0Ap1RMk.jpg

auMddpY.jpg

Orbit specs

0lOp7zu.jpg

Edited by OJT

Kerbin Series: STS-4R

First Orbiter in space, now it's the time to send up the second one. This one has one extra crew compartment and couple of RCS thrusters for precise maneuvering. Other than that it is equivalent to the other one

Xtkr8Yt.jpg

Since the first orbiter was launched at an inclined orbit, I had to wait a bit for the suitable launch window. When this window came up, engines were fired up on the Launch System

Spoiler

kTA03u2.jpg

Mmosqmy.jpg

MTd7zDA.jpg

After a couple of days of waiting in orbit, small correction was made

Spoiler

rzE4CT9.jpg

Rendezvous successful!

2KGTvIU.jpg

Docking was very easy: both orbiters had their docking ports on the nose and inline with their respective cockpits. All I had to do was to implement the so-called Lowne method of docking: SAS set on Target and small puff with monoprop thrusters

Spoiler

hKFtoxw.jpg

G1Kjxj1.jpg

uyNVC1y.jpg

Crew transferred one by one into the second Orbiter and it then departed

Spoiler

7P0DrzH.jpg

zG4fMrk.jpg

Return phase was basically the same as in STS-3: aerobrake into low orbit, waiting for suitable reentry window and descent towards KSC

Spoiler

cklRfmI.jpg

6GvjBEG.jpg

3MDaOHB.jpg

I feel like I could do this in my sleep lol

Spoiler

dsrBXYr.jpg

3pyXJJk.jpg

WakmHng.jpg

All kerbals return safely to KSC: 6 kerbals from the first Orbiter and the pilot of the second Orbiter, 7 kerbals in total. And with that, STS-4 is completed!

goVRL25.jpg

Kerbin Series: STS-5-8

This is the final set of missions in Kerbin Series. Completing this allows me to progress into Mun Series and Interplanetary missions

For this mission set, I need to design and assemble a space station in Kerbin orbit. Space station must be assembled from 4 modules (more detail on these later) and I must carry one module per launch, making it 4 missions in total. For Commander rank, space station must be assembled in 300km+ orbit and all Orbiters must then land on a runway. Inclination is up to player's choice on this one

Kerbin Series: STS-5

First, let's go over module specifications. My space station must have (direct quote from STS Challenge thread):

• A service module with power generation, RCS, engines, and reaction wheels
  • A habitation module
  • 2 scientific modules

First module to go up will be service module

2PD1ER0.jpg

bJoE5G4.jpg

It fulfills all requirements: it has two Gigantor solar panels for power, it has RCS for days, it has ion engines with surplus of battery charge for orbit adjustments and two reaction wheels: one in a probe core and one standalone. It also has an antenna for comms

Orbiter will be of the same spec as in STS-1 to STS-3 missions. Launch vehicle will also be the same as in all previous missions

I won't go into launch sequence too much, you know the deal by now. Final orbit is 327x329km

Spoiler

eE7Rr9R.jpg

0TSeQlG.jpg

5W8C26b.jpg

gfIasuo.jpg

UEbtwRD.jpg

Time to deploy the service module. It is undocked and separated from the Orbiter

Spoiler

D1FGwP0.jpg

Y5e9kHJ.jpg

rGdC3Ug.jpg

Deorbit procedure will be the same across all four missions, so I will describe it once: first I lower the orbit to 73x73km, then I do a deorbit burn at suitable moment to approach the KSC at right time and after that I enter the atmosphere

Spoiler

BWccza3.jpg

WzZCPgr.jpg

QHFiXHE.jpg

xmbvsJI.jpg

Smooth landing one

Spoiler

qkKARRG.jpg

PAVF1uA.jpg

Edited by OJT

Kerbin Series: STS-6

Next is the habitation module

9vtKVfP.jpg

It is relatively simple. It has space for two kerbals (three if they pack themselves tighter), it has four docking ports: one for service module, two for science modules and one extra for the Orbiter

Launch and ascent

Spoiler

40HDy0X.jpg

2qXAknr.jpg

DZ8HpEE.jpg

BwVTiLG.jpg

CAfyErb.jpg

Light in-orbit adjustment, and Orbiter encounters the service module and deploys its payload. Note that the habitation module is mounted on its side to fit into Mk.2 bay

Spoiler

z0I8SxR.jpg

cLpAIGA.jpg

Service module makes its way towards the habitation module and docks to it

Spoiler

co2E0bT.jpg

DBb9r91.jpg

1JafUTz.jpg

Two modules down, two to go. Orbiter in the meanwhile returns to KSC

Spoiler

BKHYTOU.jpg

p9L6Jai.jpg

39pPCZ9.jpg

Smooth landing two. First night landing aswell btw

Spoiler

7MHG2sG.jpg

rD1qaNa.jpg

Jool in the background. Maybe we will fly there one day :ph34r:

0okyRi0.jpg

Edited by OJT

Kerbin Series: STS-7

Next two missions will bring the science modules. Both of them are "mirrored" to one another, but otherwise built with same parts

EwIzxpV.jpg

It has all vacuum-compatible science experiments, probe core, antenna for comms, RCS for maneuvering, a single Gigantor solar panel and more battery packs. It also has two docking ports: one for the space station and one extra. It can be used to dock other ships or can be used to expand the space station if such need comes up

Launch and ascent

Spoiler

Gvl2N0J.jpg

c8JSD2Y.jpg

3AKmRfA.jpg

jbKLcIq.jpg

I actually nailed the timing of the launch: after doing a circularization burn I would encounter the space station in half-orbit, no adjustments were necessary. All I needed was a retrograde burn at approach

Spoiler

g7zXkqo.jpg

Science module was deployed and it docked to the space station

Spoiler

ii8n7ZR.jpg

285OhqR.jpg

f8WXuzG.jpg

Deorbit sequence

Spoiler

LKd5Tbs.jpg

Bj6E0Ln.jpg

Wdtbvli.jpg

Smooth landing three

Spoiler

geOmrhu.jpg

ma3FQU0.jpg

Kerbin Series: STS-8

Final Kerbin mission, let's do this!

Spoiler

bSCwqN6.jpg

IoAfXM6.jpg

XfdpOfC.jpg

JDPxK40.jpg

Small adjustment, and a bit later we approach the space station

Spoiler

hNO6Bp0.jpg

Ovhfahs.jpg

Deploying the second science module

Spoiler

IToMu5B.jpg

40kC0vM.jpg

r1xibvn.jpg

And the Space Station is finally assembled! Here it is in all its glory. Orbiter also docked afterwards to demonstrate that there is enough space between two Gigantors

QzJm5FT.jpg

t4WoRix.jpg

Time to return home

Spoiler

okAtkba.jpg

c2YQHqH.jpg

Curiously, like on STS-1 mission, I slightly overshot the KSC during reentry and had to reverse again. This was not planned, but it makes for a fitting and matching end of Kerbin missions :lol:

Spoiler

KmuCgpT.jpg

fVTftTz.jpg

Smooth landing four, this time in westbound direction

Spoiler

X6J9CG5.jpg

Yvc2LoX.jpg

One final pan around the Space Station

Spoiler

RACFk6Z.jpg

Science module detail

IGo0Srb.jpg

Service module detail

7SiEYoI.jpg

j8aAA19.jpg

Final orbit of the space station is 328x330km

16VBZk9.jpg

And this concludes the Kerbin Series of STS Challenge. See you all in next set! :)

Hello fellas

Kerbin Series is done and dusted and last Kerbin Commander Badges have been achieved (thanks to Artienia). Last one is a special badge limited to people who submitted reports during the April Fools period :lol:

vnayumf.jpg p5sBhgu.jpg Af7WOZE.jpg

Now that's out of the way, we can finally move on to other planetary bodies. And we're gonna start with... Mun Series!

These missions are much more ambitious than Kerbin missions: every mission requires to carry along a sizable payload, 4 of the 7 missions require landing on the Mun (and landing a plane on an airless moon is a challenge in itself). And I'm not even mentioning the extra requirements for the Commander badges!

Nevertheless, Mun Series will be a good preparation for the interplanetary missions and experience gained during these missions will definitely come to use in the future. But let's not get ahead of ourselves and get started

Mun Series: MUN STS-1

In this mission I need to land the Orbiter on the Mun, deploy a research facility and return to Kerbin. For Commander rank however the requirements are more strict:

• Research facility must be manned
  • I must aerocapture when returning to Kerbin
  • I must land the Orbiter on a runway

The payload requirements in this and future missions and the increased deltaV budget needed meant that the Orbiter from Kerbin Series required a redesign. And so, after lots of testing I am happy to present to you the new Mun Orbiter!

q6vChK2.jpg

First thing first: new Orbiter is longer. It has more space in payload bay and extra fuel tanks for more fuel. It has an extra pair of landing gear and it also has a pair of large gear in the back to raise the rear of the plane. This is done to deploy the payload on the ground and provide enough clearance for the Orbiter to drive away. And cargo bay doors also open on the bottom now. Inside the cargo bay there's a docking port and two reaction wheels for attitude control. There's antenna at the rear for communication

Spoiler

iowrvAA.jpg

FnqlsVw.jpg

SuPZnp7.jpg

Let's check out the payload for this mission: a manned research facility

mX6BYbI.jpg

It took a lot of time to make a facility that could fit into Mk.2 bay, but I managed it. It has pretty much everything a surface research facility needs: antenna, solar panels, science experiments and two docking ports. It has space for five, which will come in handy later

Mk.1 Cockpit clips through the cargo bay. To get around this the facility is docked sideways in the Orbiter

8YTODXH.jpg

Launch System is upscaled: one more big tank and two liquid fuel boosters on the side. Launch System actually turned out to be quite an overkill in terms of dV, but better safe than sorry I guess? Orbiter is in the fairing on top, like in Kerbin Series

g6xpFQ5.jpg

We did our introduction, let's proceed to the mission itself!

Spoiler

fGZ59Uk.jpg

IlZ0tmC.jpg

zYxYwS7.jpg

fkgMKzU.jpg

PMIONOG.jpg

Final orbit is 72x72km

LzMhCxO.jpg

The Orbiter actually only has enough fuel to operate around the Mun and for return, but not for actually getting to the Mun. But since there are no restrictions on using the Launch System as a transfer stage, the burn will be done with a Booster

Spoiler

Plotting the maneuver

Nj7zrad.jpg

nM4SBsw.jpg

uYY00T9.jpg

Approaching the Mun

Spoiler

LqZsnFx.jpg

The injection burn was done just enough to get into suborbital trajectory, then Launcher was discarded and Orbiter performed a small burn to return to stable orbit

Spoiler

ivF1EAv.jpg

2ExvF6C.jpg

AQzMChh.jpg

Final Mun orbit

Xp4sqLX.jpg

After picking a suitable location, I started the landing sequence. Landing was vertical until the very last when I tipped the plane forward to set it on its wheels. The whole procedure went smoothly: I am actually quite proud of how well it went

Spoiler

5WqPKBi.jpg

A6xlWJ3.jpg

HnLFGZz.jpg

l8vJ68u.jpg

hjqps2B.jpg

LtlFPRL.jpg

We landed! Time to deploy the payload

Spoiler

jXuzViT.jpg

gJ99Rbk.jpg

makqJMt.jpg

d8QVAIN.jpg

9JZUMsG.jpg

hv26inM.jpg

Base successfully deployed! Time for a team picture: two kerbals up front are the Orbiter pilots, three kerbals in the back are the research crew that will be staying in the base

Spoiler

Before you ask: the base has reaction wheels, so it can orient itself around when necessary

1vnvVBV.jpg

y7gg4IL.jpg

Location of the base

hIgzbbR.jpg

Base is located on the side facing the Kerbin, so the connection is always established and no relay satellites are necessary

Oj2EeF8.jpg

Time to return home. Cargo gear is stowed away and the doors are closed. Plane turns around to face the right ascent direction

Spoiler

GChfTHn.jpg

V4kg338.jpg

xMenkQB.jpg

Let's roll! Ascent was a bit scary due to the immense length of the plane and the proximitry of the hilltops ahead, but we cleared it and reached orbit

Spoiler

jiQkYUM.jpg

Q6mxTSE.jpg

gEKcg2F.jpg

QJntKy7.jpg

Orbit

fGIuWk8.jpg

Burning towards Kerbin

Spoiler

Planned maneuver

pzSWEkQ.jpg

JmgX8HZ.jpg

hHEafxg.jpg

8sgfUeB.jpg

I did three aerobrake passes (the plane handled the heat like a dream) to reach the final orbit of 71x72km, from which I waited for a suitable reentry window

Spoiler

Gr8LIsf.jpg

LyzvR2o.jpg

PWcgSxL.jpg

dX8RKmW.jpg

Orbit

r4wiet8.jpg

Once KSC was in daylight, I initiated the reentry and landing

Spoiler

HSmCxAt.jpg

XnwGw6e.jpg

hPuWETy.jpg

LVAqBaA.jpg

Smooth landing, as is tradition in this thread

Spoiler

o4gQjR4.jpg

lq5y0J0.jpg

j1d1eSf.jpg

This concludes the MUN STS-1 mission. More in the coming days :)

Mun Series: STS-2

Next set of missions requires you to set up a scientific outpost on the surface of Mun. Outpost must consist of three modules. The modules are:

• A habitation module for at least 5 kerbals with power generation, an antenna, and a docking port
  • A pressurized rover for at least 5 kerbals, that is capable to dock to the habitation module
  • An Emergency Escape Vehicle (EEV) for the whole crew

For Commander rank, the outpost must be constructed near the Poles (further than 60° north or south), and kerbals on the outpost must be able to safely return to Kerbin using the EEV. And of course, as usual, all three Orbiters must land on the runway

First module going up will be the Habitation Module. And good news is, I won't need to do any extra payload design. Remember this?

On 3/30/2022 at 1:56 AM, OJT said:

It has space for five, which will come in handy later

That's right! The manned facility from STS-1 fully satisfies the requirements for STS-2 Habitation Module: space for five, solar panels for power generation, antenna for connection and docking ports. This means I can pretty much reuse the entire System from STS-1 for this mission

Launch sequence

Spoiler

00UCWJj.jpg

bLhiam9.jpg

gGwW6uO.jpg

7Yu1Ntt.jpg

Mo7coSN.jpg

Final orbit is 72x72km

Soen4mW.jpg

Burning towards the Mun. Since my target landing site must be near the pole, I plan the maneuver to insert into polar Mun orbit

Spoiler

56wIynK.jpg

Approach trajectory

gtcMHeN.jpg

lYJ6N4y.jpg

36qr2D4.jpg

R8psUIc.jpg

Insertion burn. Apoapsis was lowered below surface, booster was jettisoned and Orbiter burned back into stable orbit

Spoiler

URWJnhH.jpg

ce7EZON.jpg

Final orbit. Pink marker is the rough area I was aiming for

9mmtoud.jpg

Landing burn

Spoiler

85xaK82.jpg

nafWkqb.jpg

HYzxuG7.jpg

qUi9cfk.jpg

As you can see the landing spot was in the hills, so I rolled a bit downhill to settle on an even ground

nPdGpOs.jpg

Deploying the Habitation Module

Spoiler

VuRKCYs.jpg

t0MEREL.jpg

Deployment successful! Extra screenshot to show that it does indeed has 5 kerbals inside

Spoiler

nuI0Idg.jpg

4ymwA1G.jpg

Departure. Since I was launching from a mountainous area I didn't do any dangerous fly-bys of hill crests compared to STS-1

Spoiler

rxMEerQ.jpg

QEVbi7J.jpg

DnOBzWC.jpg

jcx8gs9.jpg

Final orbit of the shuttle and the coordinates of the Habitation Module

Xpa3aDr.jpg

Ejection directly into Kerbin atmosphere would be difficult due to inclination of my Mun orbit. So what I've done instead is I entered a highly elliptical orbit around Kerbin and then burned retrograde at the apoapsis to lower the periapsis enough to enter the atmosphere

Spoiler

V6lmxKu.jpg

9aCLWrp.jpg

kw2l7r1.jpg

0UxikH9.jpg

Two aerobraking passes allowed me to enter a low Kerbin orbit, from which I then waited for a window to return to KSC runway

Spoiler

qek6eCm.jpg

4F9B0GI.jpg

NrVknY3.jpg

9nce543.jpg

Nice, comfy landing

Spoiler

b2xGYMW.jpg

16wodez.jpg

Mun Series: STS-3

Next up is the Pressurized Rover. This one was probably the trickiest payload to design so far in this challenge. Wheels simply don't fit into Mk.2 cargo bay normally, I tried all kinds of combinations and I wouldn't be able to find a workaround... if I didn't have Breaking Ground DLC

Breaking Ground DLC adds rotation servos, and with those you can make retractable wheels. Since official DLC doesn't count as a mod, the missions are still classified stock

o2lvtdN.jpg

This is how it is mounted inside the Orbiter

Spoiler

4BoYsTK.jpg

Everything from launch...

Spoiler

GhYMkbY.jpg

iuW8Sin.jpg

hJXG5ig.jpg

CvxGHLk.jpg

b1BGJDT.jpg

... through trans-munar burn...

Spoiler

rH4wnaE.jpg

uc6QEIw.jpg

... to Mun insertion was pretty much the same as in STS-2

Spoiler

9GoTxEH.jpg

NcIwWuZ.jpg

mlqc72q.jpg

Landing was carefully planned and the Orbiter landed pretty much next to the Habitation Module. I needed to taxi a bit to park closer to it

Spoiler

AQVZTWx.jpg

9b1Z4au.jpg

XQy0v8W.jpg

QMhiuWS.jpg

mQ4SjMq.jpg

qgZ5MwS.jpg

Deploying the rover. All of the kerbals in the HabModule boarded the Rover and extended the wheels

Spoiler

lRihn4Q.jpg

7Wj8urB.jpg

6LuI6jh.jpg

5aTgQDe.jpg

Kerbals then went for a short ride around the base

Spoiler

Proof that the Rover was fully seated

85E4tIc.jpg

5zP2mFZ.jpg

lVt7It0.jpg

The furtherst point I drove away from the base

akmQIaA.jpg

jQiRqZj.jpg

T1gmzrL.jpg

Rover then docked to the HabModule

Spoiler

0uQUqFM.jpg

Gh3hWFa.jpg

PkTy4GH.jpg

Orbiter returns to Kerbin, leaving the base and the kerbals in it. Return sequence was the same as in STS-2, except that three aerobrake passes were done (compared to two in STS-2 mission)

Spoiler

pduuYwu.jpg

MBwg2M3.jpg

rvMlt7V.jpg

Trans-Kerbin burn

LIN3eUt.jpg

PMUgGu6.jpg

Lowering Periapsis for aerobraking passes

ixUlmrg.jpg

wiSrULm.jpg

e0dv9Ri.jpg

After third pass I shortly burned for LKO and then timed the deorbit to approach the KSC

1I4MaHP.jpg

I almost overshot the KSC, but I thankfully stopped in time. All there left to do was a glide towards the runway

tPoOL6t.jpg

GrcnjZe.jpg

Landing on the runway and concluding the mission

Spoiler

xefed7t.jpg

RIj4ehG.jpg

Edited by OJT

Mun Series: STS-4

Now it's the time for EEV to go to the Mun. Designing the EEV took quite a while, it went through various iterations before I ended up with this

AEdeSAS.jpg

It has parachutes for descent in Kerbin. It has 4 small winglets for stabilization during reentry. Reaction wheels, heatshields, the whole package. And it sits 5 people. What else do you need?

Spoiler

You will see the purpose of the RCS thrusters later

Q0cRh0q.jpg

XTDhnmM.jpg

Orbiter is the same as in previous missions. Launch System is a bit different for this one however: it is longer, the main rocket is powered by 6 Vectors and the side boosters are somewhat smaller

gayeRmD.jpg

I won't go into much detail about how I got to the Mun: the whole process is basically the same as in previous two missions. Just enjoy the eye-candy

Spoiler

Twd4gXp.jpg

YfIIOPq.jpg

VFU4xPW.jpg

hU674W7.jpg

qqKtolF.jpg

wuIemiT.jpg

LVhPUhr.jpg

FbiZIIw.jpg

OUrzHBz.jpg

Landing was also quite trivial

Spoiler

CuFqaEa.jpg

jhjLRJc.jpg

ir62jez.jpg

I landed about 200 meters from the base, so I taxi'd towards it and parked the Orbiter nearby

eLwqGpv.jpg

gQvRH7x.jpg

Deploying the Emergency Escape Vehicle

Spoiler

ccBEbwt.jpg

7rsXWeH.jpg

Orbiter departs to Kerbin. Return was, again, basically same as in previous two missions: I could genuinely copy-paste the reports from previous missions, that's how similar it was. I guess I am very consistent with my planning :D

Spoiler

l7pVFPu.jpg

LTTiwJk.jpg

Yw331hS.jpg

QbwfcsS.jpg

zZkuqnr.jpg

uEWxrJu.jpg

gQJHawT.jpg

Two aerobrakes later the Orbiter lands on KSC runway

Spoiler

6jVe7yz.jpg

7Gz0KAB.jpg

1Q0f8yq.jpg

Now that the Orbiter is at home, it is time to fly the EEV

First I needed to seat everyone from the base into EEV. However, if you look carefully at the picture of deployment, you will notice that it is placed with the entrance hatch down. I didn't pay much attention at how I mounted the EEV inside Orbiter's cargo bay, and this almost costed me the entire mission: EEV didn't have any probe cores and the winglets prevented it from flipping fully with just pushing. Thankfully, after about 5 minutes of trying to place a kerbal near the entrance hatch and furiously mashing the B button, I did manage to get in. From there it was just a matter of spinning around: EEV's reaction wheels were more than enough for this

Spoiler

First kerbal inside the EEV

MGCwfoP.jpg

Getting the rest

PxID2Mp.jpg

ocBGP5a.jpg

After all kerbals were seated inside, I turned the EEV towards the correct attitude. Then I fired up the RCS thrusters that lifted the nose of the ship and Terrier engine was ignited, allowing the ship to ascend

Spoiler

Xk8kp0k.jpg

vtM0O6x.jpg

19SUocs.jpg

The procedure from Mun surface to Kerbin followed the same profile as the Orbiter: get to low Mun orbit, burn to enter highly elliptical Kerbin orbit, lower the periapsis inside the atmosphere, reentry

Spoiler

eGteRrl.jpg

luYrwDM.jpg

kUjtUow.jpg

eFDG8tr.jpg

Shortly before reentry, the transfer stage was jettisoned

Spoiler

sZGHO1m.jpg

Ship is a bit too unstable if the reentry is too aggressive, so I actually did one aerobrake and then proceeded towards final reentry

Spoiler

Entry one

zjn8K0V.jpg

VWzmh0u.jpg

Entry two

Bb4nVCh.jpg

wRbLw9n.jpg

Parachutes were deployed, and EEV splashed down in the ocean east from KSC

Spoiler

zrNEVO4.jpg

ZKYoqHe.jpg

Csv7RAy.jpg

Rpl61Im.jpg

And with that, the Mun STS-2 to 4 series is done! In next mission reports, we will cover the construction of Lunar Orbital Platform-Gateway, so stay tuned :)

Last set of Mun missions, here we go

Mun Series: STS-5

For the next three missions, we will be assembling a Lunar Orbital Platform-Gateway (or LOP-G) - a space station in munar orbit which will act as an outpost for supporting Mun exploration and long duration stay in space. LOP-G must have three modules

• The PPE (Power & Propulsion Element) that generates electrical power and has ion engines for orbital maneuvering
  • A science module/docking adapter
  • A habitation module

In addition to that, there are special requirements for Commander rank

• LOP-G must have enough space for at least 12 kerbals
  • LOP-G must be assembled in polar orbit (inclination between 85-95 degrees) with both apoapsis and periapsis between 600 -700km
  • After LOP-G is fully assembled, it must raise its orbit above 2000km (both Ap and Pe)
  • As usual, all three Orbiters must land on the runway

First up is the Power & Propulsion Element

8EJ0b0f.jpg

TaGg6Py.jpg

Lots of batteries, huge solar panels, RCS capability, reaction wheel, relay antennas and a probe core

Orbiter is the same. Launch System has been adjusted again: main rocket is back to previous config, but the side boosters are a bit different, albeit still powered with Twin Boars

8RwLf5A.jpg

Launch sequence

Spoiler

kgDFBr3.jpg

yxfaHYy.jpg

SMqwQD9.jpg

o53bvKj.jpg

10SHXRP.jpg

Burning towards Mun. I did a small mid-course correction to approach Mun over the pole

Spoiler

wBCHjNj.jpg

fafzX5H.jpg

Approach trajectory

0XcvA0g.jpg

I won't need to land on the Mun in the following missions, so I can ditch the main booster early: the fuel in the Orbiter will be more than enough to carry out the entire mission

Spoiler

MmvUvpN.jpg

ta6jL3a.jpg

vxOJrb6.jpg

Final orbit. Inclination is in lower left corner

ki800YB.jpg

Time to deploy the PPE

Spoiler

k2t3JJ2.jpg

zwqT9j7.jpg

xMCpkJ0.jpg

Time to return to Kerbin. The procedure is like in previous missions (with the highly elliptical orbit and stuff). I also did a burn to line up the orbit with the equator, I had enough fuel to do this

Spoiler

OEzfDiJ.jpg

8S6EEZ2.jpg

Two aerobrakes and I approach the KSC. Unlike previous missions, I didn't enter a low Kerbin orbit after aerobrakes to time my approach, I just got lucky with the timing. Also unlike previous missions, I undershot KSC so I had to burn with the aerospike to extend my range

Spoiler

8XlwFah.jpg

n0KWL4h.jpg

EC1OfoF.jpg

csQhwta.jpg

Landing

Spoiler

dgbjcIa.jpg

2RBJJgo.jpg

joP4GwS.jpg

yOrWuve.jpg

Mun Series: STS-6

Next is the Habitation Module for the LOP-G. Simple construction: some crew bays and two docking ports. And before you ask: yes it can only fit 8 kerbals, but the science module (which you will see in next mission report) also has crew space for 5 kerbals, which will bring the total crew space of the LOP-G to 13

0uNMprf.jpg

CYgrElW.jpg

Launch

Spoiler

SsmhUbg.jpg

HDsja21.jpg

5ksBQ2h.jpg

5s7PW5K.jpg

Trans Munar injection

Spoiler

M8i8Q9X.jpg

Midway correction

r3UABSp.jpg

Approaching Mun. Main booster is already discarded by this point

zo5qZ5q.jpg

Adjusting the plane to match the LOP-G's orbit

DzJTR0j.jpg

Arriving to the target

HD98pWM.jpg

Deploying the HabModule and docking the PPE to it

Spoiler

OOJcvEv.jpg

HaIiBQp.jpg

nN4Gyg8.jpg

52U4Qcl.jpg

EzCzDcW.jpg

Two modules down, one more to go. Let's get back home. Return is same as in previous missions, I won't repeat myself

Spoiler

G9nPrC9.jpg

OnD2cq9.jpg

uY8tjhg.jpg

1PqkJgU.jpg

Soft landing

Spoiler

sKDvrcB.jpg

VK87yIV.jpg

MEZTFz6.jpg

Mun Series: STS-7

Final Mun mission, let's do it. All we need to do is to send up the Science Module and finish the LOP-G assembly

WjlMYKZ.jpg

eyOcRXC.jpg

Space for 5, various science equipment, docking ports and RCS capability. This will be nice addition to the Gateway

Launch

Spoiler

kSf0L3N.jpg

iEzdYya.jpg

GIQIfh7.jpg

s6bsy0n.jpg

For once I didn't forget to turn on the clamshell deployment

nnLTCZ2.jpg

Burning towards Mun

Spoiler

3t8U9jH.jpg

mysEaDg.jpg

W03kwxp.jpg

After arriving at Mun, I did couple of burns: first to enter orbit, then to line up my orbit with LOP-Gs orbit and at last to rendezvous with it

Spoiler

Uw44MOu.jpg

hhKWJX7.jpg

wiZx77d.jpg

k0idRZb.jpg

Deploying the Science Module. The pilot inside the module then maneuvers towards the LOP-G to dock to it

Spoiler

FNkhZn4.jpg

4vXuzAn.jpg

1TqVfpf.jpg

gz3TNTr.jpg

5 kerbals at the LOP-G, max capacity is 13, so it has enough space to accomodate any newcoming crew

Gws1Gi1.jpg

Time to return the Orbiter to Kerbin. Same procedure as in previous missions, you know the deal by now

Spoiler

XhFYR7b.jpg

9NaNRVC.jpg

qtrt79B.jpg

Couple of aerobrakes and we capture into low Kerbin orbit

uHE3E3n.jpg

RePI5bd.jpg

Small retrograde puff at the right time to approach the KSC

3TS33sE.jpg

3m5yroV.jpg

gY99jSm.jpg

Landing on the runway, as is tradition

Spoiler

54PoF87.jpg

ixtNh5I.jpg

That's not the end of this mission, however. We have a fully assembled LOP-G, now we need to raise its orbit

Spoiler

Starting orbit, inclination at bottom left corner

Bs6MffO.jpg

Burn 1

IVW1GpX.jpg

Burn 2

hsUVMIr.jpg

Final orbit, inclination at bottom left corner

ltt6JXU.jpg

And this concludes the Mun Series! This is the second STS Series that we've done. And now, it is time to move on to interplanetary missions. I will give you a little sneak peak that should tell you where we will be heading next

Spoiler

WVDbn9V.jpg

YXeSgkw.jpg

See you all in next Series! :)

Ladies and gentlemen

Mun Series missions have been completed, all flawlessly, all with Commander levels, all verified by the STS Challenge mods (badges in the original post). And with Kerbin SOI pretty much conquered (aside from Minmus, but this would be too easy), it is time to start going interplanetary. And, as already teased in previous post, our next destination will be...

Duna

These set of missions provide their own unique challenges. Duna is much farther than Kerbin's moons and its thin atmosphere makes atmospheric flight particularly difficult. Very few people managed to make planes that could fly on Duna, and now to make one that should be able to carry payloads and to be able to reach orbit from Dunian surface? Sheesh

With that being said, Duna series should be manageable: a lot of planning went into this, noticeably more than for Mun missions, and I believe that I managed to do a pretty damn good job. But for now, let's start with the first mission

Duna Series: STS-1

This mission requires you to reach Duna, enter the orbit around it, deploy an orbital outpost and return back to Kerbin. The outpost must have:

• Room for 4 or more kerbals,
  • Power generation and storage
  • Antenna for communication
  • Probe core with SAS

In addition to this, for Commander level the Orbiter must aerocapture both at Duna arrival and Kerbin return, the outpost must be deployed below 70km orbit and the Orbiter must land on a runway

New Series require a new Orbiter, and here it is!

ehfDonh.jpg

Duna Orbiter is the same length as the Mun Orbiter, however it has significantly larger wing area to allow it to fly and land on Duna (and wing structure itself is radically redesigned). It also has RCS thrusters placed across the plane for precise maneuvering and it has extra monoprop tanks hidden in cargo bay. And there are extra airbrakes to assist with approaches. Aside from that it is similar to Mun Orbiter: Aerospike engine, cargo bays opening at the bottom and large landing legs for clearance while deploying surface payloads. This Orbiter model will be used in all Duna missions without any changes (apart from the payload, obviously)

Spoiler

I0EviJu.jpg

aLI3GyC.jpg

CkyRa10.jpg

gNIOs0h.jpg

This is the orbital outpost. Space for five, lots of battery charge, huge solar panels, RCS capability, relay dish and probe core at the back + surplus of docking ports

Spoiler

fOaCs0x.jpg

xnfrnh6.jpg

The outpost will be mounted on its side and half of the cargo bay doors will be left open: plane will be in a fairing, so I don't risk damaging it during Kerbin ascent

Spoiler

TPMvu0g.jpg

9UbpVTY.jpg

And yes, you read it right: I did fit the plane into a 3.75m fairing

Hk02hLD.jpg

Launch System has been reworked: Main Rocket + 2 side boosters and a transfer stage for trans-dunian burn

Let's launch it

Spoiler

lCKM3I5.jpg

Boosters collided with each other after discarding, but they thankfully avoided the Main Rocket

l0Co0HF.jpg

GeWBu99.jpg

Transfer Stage finished the circularization

5KGj8CS.jpg

FffxTPI.jpg

28OBl9w.jpg

Cargo doors are opened so the inhabitants of the outpost can see outside. There are 5 kerbals inside it

pucVmrV.jpg

OLLLkST.jpg

y5Wg3xR.jpg

This will not be our only launch from Kerbin, however

For this mission, we are allowed to bring along a Support Package. Package can be pretty much anything you desire and it can be launched with both conventional rockets or another STS System, up to player's choice. So for this mission, I decided to bring along a fuel tank

Spoiler

Bes0rOB.jpg

Wf8fHrd.jpg

NGjOHmC.jpg

jwUPWdz.jpg

The Fuel Tank is equipped with a probe core of its own, a docking port, an antenna, solar panels and some batteries. It has a transfer stage of its own, although 1/3 of the trans-dunian burn will be done with the ascent stage to conserve fuel for future maneuvers

Spoiler

0BUPI8A.jpg

Now we're doing the Duna burns. After finishing them, the Orbiter will reach the destination couple of weeks ahead of the Fuel Tank

Spoiler

m5O5EwE.jpg

Jettisoning the ascent stage

4km4lgl.jpg

wAfnHEE.jpg

2wncUz6.jpg

r5HHCua.jpg

Leaving the home planet

bDIFHOw.jpg

After a long travel (and a small mid course correction for both Orbiter and Fuel Tank), Orbiter reaches Duna

Spoiler

A1Iyqyn.jpg

k79ymUB.jpg

Transfer stage is discarded before reentry

Spoiler

rrQsH6z.jpg

FHX7OWA.jpg

Due to antenna sticking so far out I had to leave half of the cargo bay doors open, but all components still handled the reentry easily, thanks to smaller (compared to Kerbin) entry speeds, thinner atmosphere and decent thermal ceiling of the relay dish. Orbiter did two aerobrakes in total and at the end achieved orbit of 65x65km

Spoiler

First aerobrake

bZF50Nj.jpg

b42JvSo.jpg

iUbrrpg.jpg

Second aerobrake

HbzbwuX.jpg

Prograde burn

aOubY32.jpg

kyif9Yo.jpg

After some time, Fuel Tank also reached Duna. It also aerobraked, but the transfer stage was not discarded and the Tank reentered with it. One aerobrake proved sufficient and, with some correction burns, the Fuel Tank achieved orbit of 61x65km (I sadly forgot to make pictures of its orbital parameters)

Spoiler

9GNzDGP.jpg

y7Swsie.jpg

sY0ESWV.jpg

PcwvKoa.jpg

vebjsxE.jpg

After completing the burns, transfer stage was disconnected

Spoiler

AxV3Aaw.jpg

Now I needed to rendezvous the Orbiter with the Fuel Tank. They had similar orbits, but the inclinations didn't match, so encountering the Fuel Tank took some burns with the Orbiter and a bit of waiting

Spoiler

CyfqFXb.jpg

p2dvMB7.jpg

laVpHfw.jpg

YcnM76Z.jpg

After temporarily docking to the Fuel Tank, the Orbiter returned to its initial orbit of 65x65km that I have shown above. Orbiter only used its own fuel for the maneuvers, leaving the Fuel Tank reserves untouched. After doing this, I deployed the Orbital Station

Spoiler

sPj8Fzm.jpg

After Station deployment, Fuel Tank undocked from the Orbiter and docked to one of the Station's ports

Spoiler

2GuCIYY.jpg

9eTWeZk.jpg

bthGS5W.jpg

I73CLag.jpg

Orbital Station deployed and in service! Time to return to Kerbin: after waiting for the transfer window, I performed the ejection burn. Also managed to snag up an Ike fly-by while escaping Duna

Spoiler

V82LG2W.jpg

xfTBrWy.jpg

RnmTUac.jpg

8dLv2va.jpg

After long travel, we return home from our first interplanetary journey

Spoiler

s66Eurb.jpg

4n1UDZP.jpg

hdXAk9y.jpg

Reentry was effortless: the Orbiter handled the speeds and the heat without any issues whatsoever. I did one more pass afterwards to enter low orbit

Spoiler

WwPTwD4.jpg

HWi5nSl.jpg

tz2uHve.jpg

After timing my retrograde burn, I descend and approach the KSC

Spoiler

vl5epjF.jpg

LvBZYRf.jpg

I had to circle around because I braked a bit faster than I planned and I was still in high atmosphere

Spoiler

FhBEqFu.jpg

Xc102kL.jpg

First runway landing after interplanetary mission. And it was smooth as butter

Spoiler

AMPDpPE.jpg

7U6HYpA.jpg

First badge acquired

NXN5f6Z.jpg

Time for the second one

Duna Series: STS-2

This is gonna be the mission where I will need to land on Duna and then return back to Kerbin. I will also need to visit the Orbital Station that I sent in Duna STS-1. In addition there are following Commander level requirements:

• I need to bring along a module that has space for at least 2 kerbals. The specifics of the module is up to me: it can be pretty much anything, from surface base to additional section for Orbital Station
  • I need to aerobrake/capture at both Duna and Kerbin
  • Orbiter must land on a runway

And also, like in STS-1, I am allowed to bring along one Support Package of my choice

This is the payload that I decided to bring for this mission: a Science Module for the Orbital Station

YWTgH8M.jpg

Science experiments, crew bay, solar panels, RCS, the whole shabang

Spoiler

XonxFk1.jpg

gT0HEAB.jpg

That's how it is mounted inside the Orbiter

ai1vpJ4.jpg

As for the Support Package, it is gonna be a big boi: a Nuclear Interplanetary Tug

MQqYmYH.jpg

nZGVG9d.jpg

It has over 8k m/s dV and its relay dish provides enough coverage as far as Duna. It has a docking port, which means it can ferry along the Orbiter and it can also be used to adjust the orbit of the Duna Orbital Station and perhaps even to carry it into entirely new celestial body

First launch will be the Tug. It reached a circular orbit of 72x73km

Spoiler

p4d7UbD.jpg

6Iu1yO2.jpg

9byai07.jpg

lZVZANI.jpg

oZ38MFb.jpg

7ugaUvk.jpg

2lqZC1d.jpg

Next is the Orbiter

Spoiler

jgYoOcj.jpg

gNzaBZU.jpg

Side boosters collided again after staging. Main rocket is fully intact

DRRWOtW.jpg

c3avQV4.jpg

KmSrVFW.jpg

2LivaBW.jpg

FvmxcIJ.jpg

Both ships then perform the trans-dunian burns (about 10 minutes apart from each other) and depart Kerbin

Spoiler

75Wd3us.jpg

WXukRHp.jpg

gNsL1uw.jpg

Small midcourse adjustment later, we arrive at Duna. First ship to arrive is the Orbiter: it discards its transfer stage and enters Dunian atmosphere. One aerobrake proved sufficient to enter low orbit

Spoiler

yqOqSDA.jpg

Ttlt4fV.jpg

FIonek3.jpg

NrGFRtw.jpg

Next up is the Tug: it also performs one aerobrake, but it also performs two burns and enters slightly inclined low circular orbit. It will be left there for potential future use

Spoiler

qBu3IWB.jpg

L4ToxIK.jpg

83Zgg2q.jpg

P09RcJs.jpg

AaEeVLh.jpg

YKU4iOl.jpg

Orbiter in the meanwhile is rendezvousing with the Orbital Station

Spoiler

sftmXOh.jpg

Orbital Station ahead of us (lower right from the Orbiter)

EoRHJr4.jpg

6H3HFdy.jpg

Hx2re3c.jpg

Orbiter is looking huge compared to the base

qt0YOdV.jpg

After docking to the Station, the Science Module is deployed and docked to the Station at the other side

Spoiler

7NRLcFU.jpg

kCDlojf.jpg

pmxN5Bz.jpg

bre1l5l.jpg

The Orbiter's tanks were almost full, but I still filled them up to the brim using the fuel in the big Fuel Tank. After that, the plane undocks and prepares to descend down

Spoiler

H0lmSk3.jpg

uyehAGu.jpg

bFCIDgc.jpg

Now we get to see the Orbiter and all of the aerodynamic optimization truly shine. Lots of Duna Series prep hours were spent just for this very moment. The plane banks slightly to the left to approach the Eastern Canyon

Spoiler

CNnQUEZ.jpg

Ick6RH7.jpg

5ucDOj6.jpg

Flying on Duna in a winged aircraft is probably one of the hardest things to do in the gamebecause the atmosphere is so thin, the planes must produce a lot of lift and at the same time be as light as possible. Duna's surface is very bumpy and there are very few truly flat sections, so landing approach speed is critical and must be as low as possibly can. At the same time, the lift generated by the plane must be sufficient to lower the stall speed, because the last thing you want is for your plane to plop on the surface: bumpy surface and low gravity make landings particularly bouncy and makes braking after landing difficult

Pretty much all of the Duna planes I happened to see (on YouTube or other platforms) utilize some sort of gimmick to safely land a plane on Duna. Some build VTOL capable planes, others strap on lots of parachutes to slow the plane down. Many admit to doing a lot of save reloads due to the plane crashing. A lot of people simply use parachutes to land the plane vertically. And so on so forth, you get the idea

Through my testing, I worked out the ratio of wing area to weight of the craft to make slow horizontal landings possible. My best "proof-of-concept" plane had 2.28 wing area per 1 ton which allowed it to safely touchdown at speeds as low as 30 m/s! For comparison, the Mun Orbiter has the ratio of 0.76 wing area/ton and, despite flying pretty well on Kerbin, was absolutely hopeless on Duna. So, after figuring out the benchmark ratio, all I needed to do was to get as close as possible while still making an Orbiter that could complete all of the challenges

The final Duna Orbiter you see has 1.84 wing area/ton and it flies like a charm. It can change direction pretty well, it glides nicely and throughout all of the tests I've done with it, I landed all of my attempts first time without any reloads. In this particular mission, touchdown speed reached around 40 m/s before the plane stalled, but by that point I was comfortably close to the surface and plane gently dropped on Dunian soil. Perfect landing without any parachutes or other trickery, purely through gliding

Spoiler

IG7LKMf.jpg

ZOjjOmi.jpg

Velocity right after touchdown

UrG4XEn.jpg

PEZ1R8N.jpg

We landed on another planet! Time to set foot on it and plant the flag

Spoiler

YYcFVTa.jpg

s5eusGz.jpg

Getting back into the Orbiter

XgpOU5o.jpg

After waiting a bit to let the batteries charge up and to get a good encounter window with our Orbital Station, the Orbiter fires up its engines and starts the climb

Spoiler

Turning around towards correct attitude

cxuo1sS.jpg

Full throttle

an2rRaz.jpg

7iOSR5Q.jpg

GPryQTz.jpg

6bj3t5R.jpg

lNv1ecl.jpg

I've actually NAILED the launch: with a modest burn I would be encountering the Orbital Station directly and with small separation, without any need for parking orbits

Spoiler

l82mrIr.jpg

VTsPpCj.jpg

ebz6YpQ.jpg

CsOE8nv.jpg

cyQBlTa.jpg

jh5qXHD.jpg

Csdfix0.jpg

After fueling up the Orbiter and waiting for the Kerbin transfer window, I undock from the Station and burn towards home

Spoiler

IplczM8.jpg

K6DAcVm.jpg

jFWkjMW.jpg

yH4ZPwD.jpg

After some time, we approach Kerbin

Spoiler

zNICtJ6.jpg

XfLtabR.jpg

Two aerobrakes and small normal burn allowed me to park in an equatorial low orbit, from which I've waited for suitable return window

Spoiler

PueEjzj.jpg

yhkJz2Z.jpg

TWAMpr9.jpg

As the window came about, I burned retrograde and descended towards the runway

Spoiler

iCfbiiL.jpg

DfmIMeu.jpg

I braked very quickly in the higher layers of the atmosphere, so I nosedived towards the runway, performed a roll program and approached the runway from the east side

Spoiler

TryHHd5.jpg

RBzlQjI.jpg

ekSlZi9.jpg

Butter

Spoiler

fQRpp2y.jpg

cTIalZL.jpg

Flag coordinates

Spoiler

ZHVaszF.jpg

Edited by OJT

• 2 weeks later...

Hello lads, it's been a while

As is usually the case, real life got in the way and I was kind of bored of the game so I had a break from KSP. I had some free time today and I decided to fire it up again. Besides, I already had everything ready and tested for my next mission, so all I needed to do is to fly it

Duna Series: STS-3

This is the final mission of Duna series. In this mission we are continuing to expand our Duna infrastructure, but it also contains some unique challenges along the way. Here are the tasks, and to make it simpler I will list the Commander rank requirements straight away:

• We must bring along three payloads: a lander for 4 kerbals and two satellites. Lander must be fully reusable and must be single stage: you are not allowed to decouple anything from it
  • Orbiter must aerobrake/aerocapture at Duna and Kerbin
  • After rendezvous-ing with the Duna Orbital Station, Lander must bring 4 kerbals to Duna surface. Kerbals must plant a flag and then return to Orbital Station. Lander must be docked to the Station afterwards
  • After Lander docks to Station, Orbiter must depart Duna, perform fly-by of Eve and return to Kerbin
  • While in Eve SOI, the satellites must be deployed: one must be placed into circular polar orbit with >2000km periapsis and the other must be placed into circular equatorial orbit with <150km apoapsis
  • Orbiter must land on a runway

Let's show the Lander

7AZoEHW.jpg

This lander took a lot of time to design. The main constraint was the size of Orbiter's cargo bay: my initial plan was to use the Mk.1 passenger bays, but the craft turned out to be way too long, so instead I joined four Mk.1 command pods together. In addition, getting enough fuel to return to Station from the surface required me to clip some fuel tanks, but I didn't clip them in too far and they're still visible (it also kinda adds to the aesthetic). I also struggled alot with putting landing legs in a way that they wouldn't clip through the cargo bay of the Orbiter, but I decided to ditch them in the end entirely and I simply put some RCS thrusters to lift up the nose before ascent like on Mun Emergency Escape Vehicle from Mun STS-4 mission

This is the satellite

xLZkxGl.jpg

Not really much to explain here, just a satellite with lot's of fuel for maneuvering around Eve

This is how everything is packed inside the cargo bay

7vIPZtQ.jpg

I added extra docking ports for the satellites at the back. Other than that, the Orbiter is the same as in previous Duna missions

Launch to LKO is standard

Spoiler

IR9XCk9.jpg

HtfXOAr.jpg

vAgB5l5.jpg

I turned off the clamshell for this launch because clamshells severely impacted FPS in previous launches

4FFuX22.jpg

HDAxBhE.jpg

As is the Duna transit

Spoiler

nq0pWaW.jpg

cf6Bi0V.jpg

I spotted a comet on my way to Duna

qBz6qbm.jpg

DfJ66r1.jpg

Decoupling the transit stage and aerobraking at Duna

Spoiler

Dpsglpn.jpg

dkL8Do6.jpg

fJpapnZ.jpg

One aerobrake and a bit of maneuvering later I encounter the Space Station

Spoiler

4PxJKCo.jpg

xXWTEna.jpg

26qbJLA.jpg

ryN8DUE.jpg

Docked!

guWKGKI.jpg

Now time to deploy the lander. Four kerbals from the Station board the lander, undock from the Orbiter and descend towards Duna surface. One kerbal is left in the Station to monitor the situation, as is Jeb and Bill in the Orbiter

Spoiler

Proof that 4 kerbals boarded the lander

jQL3LpW.jpg

Rpxx3yt.jpg

s2cViDr.jpg

Drogue chutes deployed

CdZkUld.jpg

Main chutes deployed

gjRZhxH.jpg

ZMzJovF.jpg

Landing burn

pncSWB2.jpg

Landed on Duna!

ls1Nwr3.jpg

Planting the flag and posing for a picture

Spoiler

hIHW7AF.jpg

fn9tzCQ.jpg

After planting the flag, everyone is back in the lander. Nose is raised with RCS thrusters and main engine is throttled up

Spoiler

siDTNTo.jpg

rrgfbCY.jpg

Climbing to orbit

Spoiler

zizNEMs.jpg

sSZoAq7.jpg

nXX6Ubq.jpg

I didn't time my launch to approach the Station with direct ascent, so I launched to a slightly lower orbit. I then made a small burn and rendezvous-ed with the Station

Spoiler

ZZBFDyz.jpg

PYcp8cQ.jpg

Both Lander and Station have matching Junior docking ports. There is enough clearance between where the Lander will be docked and one of the solar panels, but I still folded it in to feel safe. It was unfolded back after docking

7tUGgEP.jpg

rwO5Olw.jpg

The whole Station in fully assembled mode. Fuel tank still has enough fuel inside it to fully refuel the Lander several times, which means the Station crew can go on more surface expeditions

qo5XpwD.jpg

With first part of the mission done, it is time to depart to Eve

Spoiler

R3MLvEd.jpg

Except there is a surprise...

Remember the Interplanetary Tug that I had brought along as a support package in Duna STS-2 mission? I cleared with the STS Challenge mod Artienia if I could use Support Packages in multiple missions and I've got permission to do this. So, I will be using the Tug for the whole "Duna to Eve to Kerbin" trip

First, we need to dock the Tug to the Orbiter. Tug does couple of burns and encounters the Orbiter

Spoiler

UwLLwA1.jpg

0n4GzMW.jpg

d0s4QMt.jpg

wY5sesk.jpg

JMV0Fwt.jpg

RusUfL1.jpg

To my luck (and I swear I didn't plan this), it was Duna-Eve transfer window. So I plotted the maneuver and burned towards Eve

Spoiler

wgbu42x.jpg

AtFHxjU.jpg

1Gjy28L.jpg

The fly-by will result in the apoapsis that roughly matches Kerbin's orbit

qdn4pun.jpg

As soon as I reached Eve and entered its SOI, I deployed both satellites

Spoiler

Proof of Eve SOI

oAy4doN.jpg

lQZV9LX.jpg

20jYGZj.jpg

ICevqVA.jpg

As you can see, Tug has big relay dish, so I will be in control of my satellites

hpkov6G.jpg

DbOBzGG.jpg

First I entered the highly elliptical orbit with the Equatorial Satellite. Then I quickly switched to Polar Satellite and circularized. It required a long retrograde burn and small radial adjustment. At the end, I switched back to Equatorial Satellite and adjusted its orbit with couple of burns to finally end up in the required orbit

Spoiler

XRV5lNa.jpg

First burn with Equatorial Satellite

34E6Yx3.jpg

Polar Satellite burns

rAqmFCk.jpg

Jx3OqL3.jpg

Further Equatorial Sat burns

T0N8brY.jpg

6yoz19i.jpg

Final orbit parameters. Inclinations (in lower left corners) might not be super-precise, but the satellites have plenty of fuel remaining, so I can adjust the orbits if necessary

iaxwi8d.jpg

fVzglDU.jpg

Satellites deployed, switching to Orbiter. It was still within Eve's SOI by the time I finished

Spoiler

XiMbYCp.jpg

I did have to do one extra orbit around Sun before favorable encounter window came up, and I also had to do a substantial correction burn, but the journey still took way less time than I initially expected

Spoiler

The planned maneuver

j5D0VcJ.jpg

FN6aCVt.jpg

We're back home

Spoiler

rFr4SEV.jpg

I didn't test whether Tug could handle interplanetary reentries, so I undocked it and raised its periapsis above the atmosphere. I did this at the edge of SOI, so the maneuver took very little deltaV

Spoiler

Cie9AiH.jpg

ZjECDO9.jpg

The Orbiter in the meanwhile is about to aerobrake at Kerbin

Spoiler

ucs0lhL.jpg

ZyEU7Pc.jpg

Orbiter entered the atmosphere at around 4.4 km/s. Reentry was by far the hottest I've ever survived: some parts creeped over 99% heating according to KER readouts. Even then I didn't slow down enough, so I had to do a retro burn immediately after returning to space to stay in Kerbin orbit

Spoiler

nZIxRnR.jpg

iqIRO2N.jpg

FqKrXYn.jpg

I then quickly switched to Tug and did a retroburn with it to enter stable elliptical orbit around Kerbin

Spoiler

kr4IhDr.jpg

Orbiter did a couple of more aerobrakes before entering LKO

Spoiler

FgAbJqD.jpg

8XyuSvU.jpg

pxpjcwj.jpg

I timed my retrograde burn to approach KSC and descended towards the runway

Spoiler

WBxpeoD.jpg

QnXVViV.jpg

X9Da7SL.jpg

zRVrgmz.jpg

Runway approach and landing was smooth as always

Spoiler

ty7DQHt.jpg

JE4LQnr.jpg

And with this, Duna Series is finished! This batch was a lot of fun. See you all in the next one :)

Hello fellas, it's time for the next series

Eve Series: STS-1

Well I say series, it only has one mission, but hey, I didn't name it like this :lol:

In Eve mission, I must send the Orbiter to Eve and bring along an atmospheric probe. There I must deploy the probe that will dip in the atmosphere, conduct science experiments and return to orbit. After that, I must collect the experiment module and return to Kerbin. For Commander rank, I must aerobrake/-capture at Eve and Kerbin, the probe must dip below 60km before conducting science and the Orbiter must land on a runway

Atmospheric probe has to contain

• at least 3 different science experiments
  • a probe core
  • a battery

Here is the probe I designed

BEiSlMi.jpg

It has lightest smallest probe core, avionics unit for more SAS control, battery pack and three experiments that can be conducted in the atmosphere. It has an antenna attached for remote control and the experiment module is docked to propulsion module. Propulsion module also has solar panels for electricity generation and winglets for stability during flight. After returning to orbit and rendezvous-ing with the Orbiter, the propulsion module will be jettisoned, exposing the docking port and allowing the Orbiter to dock to it

Spoiler

CZkn8Js.jpg

ygFPNXF.jpg

Orbiter is the same as in Duna series. Only difference is in the cargo bay: docking port is at the other end of the cargo bay, there is also a Remote Control Unit to allow the pilot to control the Atmospheric Probe without needing connection to KSC and there's a small relay antenna for this purpose aswell.

j7u8XzK.jpg

Launch System is also the same as in Duna series. Only difference is the fairing colour

oxPE63L.jpg

Let's get to it. First we get to orbit

Spoiler

51oaMIR.jpg

MpGf5BT.jpg

Wpm0LjW.jpg

MKZI8yg.jpg

i25C0Cl.jpg

Then we burn towards Eve. Even though we are allowed to bring along a Support Package of our choice, we can do the mission without any additional hardware

Spoiler

Lh6677W.jpg

tf0nJOp.jpg

After arriving at Eve, I discard the transfer stage and prepare for aerobrake

Spoiler

wH8Perv.jpg

Flying over the South Pole of Eve

OTUwdNm.jpg

Knowing the difficulty of reentering Eve without heatshields, I decided to play it safe and aerobrake at higher altitudes. After first aerobrake I did a burn to adjust the inclination and after that I did more aerobrakes. I did 7 or 8 aerobrakes before sufficiently lowering my apoapsis. At the end, I parked the Orbiter in 130x130km orbit

Spoiler

I managed to snap a lightning strike during first aerobrake

RVZU0BC.jpg

Adjustment burn

0iFIQFb.jpg

PFRS7yn.jpg

kJxCOHn.jpg

Final orbit

YF9kDAq.jpg

Time to deploy the probe. It burns to lower its periapsis inside the atmosphere and descends into it

Spoiler

lBpzwtI.jpg

Bz8tEEj.jpg

KxyJrRH.jpg

Temperature percentage went quite high peaking at 96%, but the Probe survived the whole ordeal like a charm. Experiments were conducted below 60km and the Probe safely returned to orbit

Spoiler

AuuhWWz.jpg

0N5puBU.jpg

Proof of experiments

68lXhEX.jpg

OmIdAqB.jpg

26lvEYM.jpg

PVs9Rfd.jpg

l9KKojr.jpg

g3RtGLQ.jpg

Probe first got into lower orbit than the Orbiter and then, when approach window came up, it did couple of burns to rendezvous with it

Spoiler

gGEkpq7.jpg

mtyqsse.jpg

Probe undocks the propulsion stage. Experiment module has a reaction wheel and enough charge to control all systems, so I can adjust its attitude to make the docking easier. Orbiter in the meanwhile maneuvers towards the module and captures it

Spoiler

i4yFYd6.jpg

z2Wu3O4.jpg

6595xbf.jpg

RI8k70m.jpg

Captured!

9Gq15D8.jpg

Now that we did everything we needed, all there's left to do is to wait for a transfer window and then burn towards home. TWR of the Orbiter around Eve is somewhat small, so I split the ejection burn into two burns for efficiency

Spoiler

DkFe1Kn.jpg

K9lyKOH.jpg

Uu0lTCY.jpg

Arriving home

Spoiler

tscjbNI.jpg

4Oa5WAi.jpg

Two aerobrakes proved to be sufficient to enter low parking orbit. After that, I waited for a good approach window, burned retrograde and descended towards KSC

Spoiler

IbXDIbc.jpg

iREoGRe.jpg

Approach trajectory

qpBuMuJ.jpg

U97bU4Z.jpg

At this point I had basically no fuel in my Orbiter, which meant that I needed to carefully shed off the energy to glide towards the runway and not over-/undershoot it

Spoiler

Yq6sBgM.jpg

Axy32g2.jpg

It all went beautifully. All there was left to do was to land the Orbiter

Spoiler

85Cs37i.jpg

7JpF1m8.jpg

rWGv1Yz.jpg

Another series completed!

Edited by OJT

Hello fellas
Coming up is the hardest mission I've done so far in this thread...

Jool Series: STS-1

In this mission we will be visiting one of Jool's moons: Laythe. In fact, we will be landing on it. It is a very far destination with relatively strong gravity, thick atmosphere and very little landmass. Laythe's atmosphere is oxygenated, so this makes use of jet engines possible.

In addition, to get Commander rank I will need to carry along two payloads. These are Surface Ore Refinery and an Atmospheric Exploration Aircraft. Here are the requirements for both

The ground outpost must have:

• Ore refinery and fuel storage with docking port
  • Room for 4 or more kerbals

The Atmospheric Exploration Aircraft must have:

• Room for 1 or more kerbals
  • Docking port

I will also need to land the Orbiter on the runway

New Series requires a new Orbiter. Here it is:

IdZrHU3.jpg

ILx2EUP.jpg

It is a bit longer than Duna/Eve Orbiter due to having bigger cargo bay. It also packs serious power with 4 RAPIER engines and two Supersonic shock cones on top that supply these engines with air

Here is the Ore Refinery

6P1NMMY.jpg

gwaEt1w.jpg

Space for 4, mining and refinery setup, small tanks for fuel and ore respectively, nuclear generator for power and big antenna for direct connection to KSC

Here's the Atmospheric Exploration Aircraft

5fpmRrB.jpg

6hHqvmg.jpg

I initially tried to make a jet-powered mini-plane, but I couldn't design one that would fit inside the Orbiter. So I decided to go with a helicopter design using Breaking Ground DLC parts. Single-rotor with tail rotor for balance, grip pads for surcafe landings and pontoons for water landings. Small docking port on the front and nuclear generator for power

LyhXTkL.jpg

Here's everything packed inside the Cargo bay

For this mission, we are also allowed to bring along a Support Package. So here's the improved Tug from Duna Series. Bigger relay dish, more fuel and nuclear generator for power instead of solar panels

0I2lGYN.jpg

y0R0BMO.jpg

Now that we introduced everything, it's time to launch it. First goes the Tug

Spoiler

zVwaftn.jpg

jhg0St7.jpg

exIJSyP.jpg

csKXfXZ.jpg

YhI39Yj.jpg

kNQdTlL.jpg

After reaching orbit, I span up the entire ship and then decoupled the last stage. This way I deorbited the transfer stage without switching on the Tug's engines, leaving it fully fueled

NKczXcR.jpg

After that, Orbiter goes up

Spoiler

mwIv7DH.jpg

L57mvHp.jpg

pb3fuAr.jpg

i2wGzem.jpg

fzA5x3z.jpg

I used the last stage of the Launch System to rendezvous with the Tug and dock Orbiter to it

Spoiler

eu5rasa.jpg

7XmoAZN.jpg

Docking ports on both ships were inline, so I didn't need an RCS system: I simply pointed them towards each other and did a small puff

dP7ASfK.jpg

UYr6yK1.jpg

After this, the stage decouples and deorbits

dNmRlY0.jpg

7LkheZa.jpg

HUyoon7.jpg

We will be burning directly towards Jool. The Stack had quite low TWR, so I split up the one long burn into multiple short burns. I think I did 5 or 6 shorter burns before doing the final ejection burn

Spoiler

98RKSvw.jpg

aOEMvEu.jpg

PqTX9bu.jpg

CaSKT6M.jpg

After long travel, we arrive to our destination: Jool

Spoiler

7dKr4f0.jpg

To preserve fuel, we will be using multiple gravity assists around Jool's moons. First we do a burn near Jool to achieve Tylo fly-by and enter Jool orbit. After that I did 2 more fly-bys of Tylo and Laythe itself (with small correction maneuvers in between) to then approach Laythe at sensible speeds

Spoiler

azQKTVS.jpg

Ta7RuC5.jpg

First Tylo fly-by

6j3w621.jpg

Escaping Laythe after fly-by

iQkJXVK.jpg

Second Tylo fly-by

GbNmYZK.jpg

Approaching Laythe

icwKVVR.jpg

9VSzdpo.jpg

I know from experience (check my second Jool 5 submission) that docking ports are quite sturdy and can survive reentries. So, like in my Jool 5 mission, I aerocaptured with the whole stack to enter orbit around Laythe. After that, I did couple of more aerobrakes to then finally enter low orbit

Spoiler

gIC4qnW.jpg

WNcYAAn.jpg

YfWi1ss.jpg

Final parking orbit

YMtOIK0.jpg

Time to land on Laythe. Tug will do the deorbit burn, undock the Orbiter and burn prograde again. This way the Orbiter stays fully fueled

Spoiler

Sorry for dark pictures: I had to do the burn on the night side to approach the land mass on the sunny side

ukh37am.jpg

aKjvHnL.jpg

eN0bjoq.jpg

Lightning strikes

E7WVf3Y.jpg

wPUHz8T.jpg

wCGbhKz.jpg

After sufficiently slowing down, the Orbiter glides towards some island

Spoiler

7VKZ3rY.jpg

O8hrYLs.jpg

zSu3fxW.jpg

j4P6oHh.jpg

LGBT9Q7.jpg

Island turned out to be a bit more mountainous than I expected, so I landed on the shore which seemed flatter

Spoiler

riLelpf.jpg

Oa4Vw1V.jpg

Landed! Time to deploy the payloads. Same structure as on previous Orbiters: bay doors opening downwards and Large landing gear at the back to raise the rear for clearance. Although I still had to sort of wiggle myself away from the payloads, but we got there

Spoiler

4ppOksM.jpg

03VRFOl.jpg

vSmZVHG.jpg

I waited for the noon so it would be brighter

Spoiler

VvIpnZk.jpg

Then we deployed the payloads: Ore Refinery extended its legs... and rolled away from the Orbiter because I forgot to put the brakes on. Thankfully it didn't roll too far away from it

Spoiler

There are 3 kerbals inside, but it does have space for 4

MbC2X9g.jpg

Next up is the Helicopter: Bill boarded it, did a small test flight and landed near the Refinery

Spoiler

WLXDP9Z.jpg

Unfortunately Helicopter has only one seat, so Jeb had to run towards the Refinery

At the end, a flag is planted and everyone poses for a group photo

Spoiler

FaaVW1r.jpg

MVCZ1En.jpg

Landing location

GBYrcBG.jpg

Time to return home. Jeb and Bill get back into the Orbiter and fire up the engines

Spoiler

dMmys17.jpg

9lMvnH2.jpg

I picked the RAPIERS because they can be used as jet engines, thus making the ascents through oxygenated atmospheres more efficient. Despite that, the return to orbit was extremely close: when I reached orbit I completely ran out of fuel

Spoiler

fuyfW3x.jpg

G2V4jOl.jpg

LKkcDHF.jpg

Final orbit

YKZH8ze.jpg

Thankfully, the Tug has more than enough fuel to do the rendezvous and docking by itself

Spoiler

leLmRS6.jpg

QgPmjWv.jpg

bzY3ip9.jpg

MiIcBc1.jpg

XDoRCJo.jpg

TjkLJk6.jpg

The Stack is assembled back. Now we do two burns to escape Laythe and enter an orbit around Jool

Spoiler

8fcDKAm.jpg

bvZszpf.jpg

After that, I did couple of correction maneuvers and one Vall fly-by to enter high circular orbit around Jool, where I waited for the Kerbin transfer window and then performed the ejection burn

Spoiler

lAofkLR.jpg

Vall fly-by

6z70Lxw.jpg

Ejection burn

R24VwYc.jpg

Escaping Jool

5aDx4NC.jpg

Back in Kerbin SOI

Spoiler

TjuDT2g.jpg

At this point I had two options. I could do a fly-by to encounter Kerbin later at lower speeds, but this would noticeably increase the mission time. Or I could try to enter directly, aerobrake and do an additional retrograde burn, but this would be much riskier and I barely had enough fuel to pull this off. Being the sensible person that I am... I went with the second option

First of all I fully refueled the Orbiter: the Tug had a bit of storage with Oxidizer in it to fill up the Orbiter. Then as I was getting closer to Kerbin, I burned with the Tug, using what little fuel it had inside. Shortly before entering the atmosphere, I decoupled the Tug and aerobraked with Orbiter. The aerobrake wasn't enough to slow down however, so after leaving the atmosphere I did a burn with RAPIERs to finally enter the orbit around Kerbin

Spoiler

zlz1cNw.jpg

cUd8tbo.jpg

iHlD7nL.jpg

lCySE0q.jpg

After that, It was only a matter of couple of aerobrakes  to get to low circular orbit. However, during those aerobrakes I found out something.

Spoiler

Can you tell what the problem is from looking at this?

3uBHVkx.jpg

I never tested how Jool Orbiter flies with low fuel and it turns out that CoM of the plane shifts noticeably behind the CoL if fuel gets too low. I could fix this by putting all of the fuel in the nose tank. That's the reason all of my Orbiters had a nose tank in the first place, so I could balance the fuel if needed. However my direct entry maneuver used up quite a lot of fuel and what I had left was enough to place the CoM just behind the CoL. You can have a relatively stable plane with this arrangement, but this meant that I needed to be extremely conservative with my fuel and that I couldn't use any of it to extend my range in the atmosphere, which meant that after doing the deorbit burn I needed to glide the whole way to KSC and land it. I glided all of my previous missions, but these increased stakes did make me a bit nervous

After waiting for suitable window, I did a small deorbit burn and entered the atmosphere. My orbit was highly inclined, KSC wouldn't be exactly inline with my trajectory when I'd get close to it and I couldn't burn normal to adjust for it due to reasons explained above. So I banked to the left during pretty much the whole entry phase and prayed that my plane doesn't flip and lose control

Spoiler

qqky43H.jpg

gavVPw9.jpg

oDClKJW.jpg

I survived! Never thought I'd be this happy from surviving LKO reentry with the amount of hours I spent in this game :lol:. And the plane was gliding stable, so all I needed to do was to land it

Spoiler

600PAJl.jpg

ZNoASNB.jpg

cfjlgvw.jpg

I wish I had a video of this: this was the smoothest landing I did so far in this game

Spoiler

m8pvM2S.jpg

FKZkNr7.jpg

And with this, all Interplanetary Series have been completed! Only Minmus mission is left among the Main Series, which will come soon :ph34r:

Edited by OJT

Hello everyone

Seeing as I almost finished all Main Series missions (except for Minmus, but that will come very soon), I figured I could aswell try to do the other missions. I had a quick look on the requirements of Bonus and Test Pilot missions and I think I can complete them using Mk.2 parts for the Orbiters. Starting with...

Kerbin Bonus Series: STS-9

In this mission, we simply need to recover an asteroid and bring it back to Kerbin. I also need to land on runway to get Commander rank

List of requirements is small, but that doesn't make the mission less challenging than the others. Making an Orbiter that can recover asteroids and still reenter and fly stable is no easy task and it also needs to pack more fuel than it would otherwise need to compensate for increased weight after hooking up to asteroid.

This is the Orbiter I designed for the task ahead

9GYsbZV.jpg

kskLeoR.jpg

Large landing gear, huge wings, grabbing unit directly above the CoM and nuclear engine with tons of dV (it is not fully fueled on the screenshot). It also has solar panels for electricity generation, Mk.2 probe core acts as an extra battery storage and there's also RCS thrusters, although they are not aligned in all 6 directions, but it should be sufficient

Here's the rocket that will launch it: somewhat short, one stage and very "orby" fairing

AmA7KvS.jpg

First we need to wait until next morning for suitable launch window: asteroid's trajectory seemed to be highly inclined relative to Kerbin. After that, the rocket ascends towards northeast

Spoiler

msPWXWN.jpg

SkpY6kK.jpg

oHnjdCE.jpg

As I deployed the fairing, a piece of it hit the winglet (I honestly didn't even know that deployed fairing pieces had collision), but at that point the rocket was about to leave the atmosphere all together and the Orbiter was gonna detach from it anyway, so no biggie

FrZCrvB.jpg

GHu0T7A.jpg

izeMaDJ.jpg

I had way more deltaV that I would need, so instead of waiting for asteroid to get into Kerbin SOI, I decided to escape Kerbin and encounter the asteroid in interplanetary space. So that's what I did

Spoiler

NlpN3Ep.jpg

rXKmVf2.jpg

TOSRPS1.jpg

With a bit of small adjustments we encounter the asteroid and hatch up to it. I also picked a class A asteroid so it won't be too big and heavy

Spoiler

I popped up the asteroid on the screen so you can see which dot exactly is it

kKQKSjF.jpg

YyCTJDw.jpg

70g64qP.jpg

RJbIAkr.jpg

Asteroid was on an impact trajectory, so not only am I completing the mission, I am also saving the Kerbalkind. I did small adjustment to raise Kerbin periapsis and enter its atmosphere to aerobrake. First reentry was rather toasty, so for subsequent aerobrakes I raised the periapsis a bit more and while at it also adjusted the inclination so it would match the equator

Spoiler

KVAP6KU.jpg

yIRb57J.jpg

G8bntFn.jpg

W5zrePV.jpg

hNa5TnG.jpg

After parking in low orbit and waiting for suitable descent window, I did a retroburn and entered the atmosphere for the final time. During my aerobrakes I noticed that plane was somewhat unstable at higher angles of attack, so I had to do final aerobrake facing directly prograde. It got extremely hot, nose cone reached 98% heating, but we survived. Although at the end of reentry phase I still spun out of control, but this actually allowed me to shed off the velocity much more rapidly. I would've otherwise overshot the KSC but because of that I actually lost all of my speed pretty much directly above it. I also managed to recover from the stall, although I had to fire up the engine briefly to recharge the batteries

Spoiler

uLsXQeU.jpg

RJK9xzI.jpg

EsGr2Oy.jpg

A3vKVWN.jpg

I did a small circle to align the Orbiter with the runway

Spoiler

2wGNNag.jpg

8oEwwG8.jpg

Nice controlled landing

Spoiler

6EzCZkP.jpg

Tl4uVVX.jpg

One Space Potato Walnut delivered to KSC for studies

9pQEmoA.jpg

Edited by OJT

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, I got around to doing the damn mission that I've been promising for quite a while now

Minmus Series: STS-1

In this mission we need to bring a Resource Scanner satellite into polar orbit of Minmus. Then, we need to land in a spot with rich ore concentration, deploy a Rover with a surface ore scanner, scan the soil and return to Kerbin. For Commander Rank, the Rover must have space for at least 4 kerbals, you must bring along extra CommSat and you must land on a runway when you return to Kerbin

Since the deltaV requirements are very similar, I will be using the Mun STS Shuttle for this mission

4DpcuA7.jpg

Here are the payloads: two satellites and a Rover for 4 kerbals

Spoiler

0cPbyDr.jpg

x3txrqh.jpg

sElg9qI.jpg

And here is everything packed inside the payload bay

Spoiler

epswp15.jpg

QjrwivJ.jpg

Let's get straight to launch. Standard procedure

Spoiler

OsvnTCj.jpg

LdganXI.jpg

8A61KCx.jpg

KxSwT4A.jpg

4KiMstB.jpg

Like in Mun missions, I use the main booster as a transfer stage. I also do a mid course correction to approach the Minmus from its South Pole

Spoiler

eoDZB9N.jpg

PqX5zwm.jpg

TuWX4PG.jpg

HCLBLjM.jpg

wdlSfBQ.jpg

Circularizing and deploying payloads. After deploying them I lower the orbit of my Orbiter and the CommSat

Spoiler

enw2X8d.jpg

dHuV8YX.jpg

wGuOkZ4.jpg

O7nImZI.jpg

siLgY0d.jpg

Scanned the Minmus for ore. I decided to land in the flats

Spoiler

DK2jtll.jpg

qMwl7Tg.jpg

Landing the Orbiter on the flats. Same landing strat as on Mun. Lower gravity makes things easier than on Mun

Spoiler

ntdnFfg.jpg

KDfzhOj.jpg

xOX758x.jpg

7vY026q.jpg

gINsFOw.jpg

Deploying the rover, getting into it, scanning the surface and going for a small ride

Spoiler

dLQOhCG.jpg

lftg1Ue.jpg

XhqsNQZ.jpg

X6jKUkt.jpg

SgfK4fm.jpg

Getting back into the Orbiter and taking off. I retracted rear landing gear to pitch up easier

Spoiler

V0NI2TB.jpg

ePsHpp0.jpg

GuJk0O4.jpg

7hVt9n9.jpg

Escaping Minmus SOI

Spoiler

O6cKFWD.jpg

MrmPiuu.jpg

CveuQTf.jpg

Bsn8xQZ.jpg

First aerobrake to lower the orbit, then I get into low orbit, then I do a retrograde burn and do the second and final reentry

Spoiler

VbUPQ8v.jpg

D903WGZ.jpg

Qaqq0YU.jpg

Descending through early morning clouds

Spoiler

nKG5nTV.jpg

Approaching the runway and landing

Spoiler

L9wbo2x.jpg

MvXgnSI.jpg

Another Mission completed! Just need to wait for the mods to verify the entries :ph34r:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.