ColdJ

Exo Mobility Utility Vehicle.

License: CC-BY-SA-4.0

Now live on Spacedock

https://spacedock.info/mod/3001/E.M.U.V

Updated to version 1.1.1 on the 4/9/22

This the E.M.U.V, Exo Mobility Utiity Vehicle.
A chair to make space walking a bit easier. It has built in RCS,SAS and work lights, Docking port on the back that will mate with a standard docking port Jnr and a Kerbal Attachment System socket, so that if you have that mod you can attach. Useful for transfers and building in space or retrieving a Kerbal that has floated off. With it's built in SAS you can control it remotely to get it back if it has drifted while you are working or send it off after that Kerbal. It is all one piece, no assembly required. Found in the Pods section. It is set up to use Mechjeb.
Enjoy.
ColdJ

Changelog 1.1.0
Added an enclosed version, same capabilities but more protection.It uses the new light system.

E.M.U.V-1662294681.jpg

1 2 3 4 5

Edited by ColdJ
Updated

14 hours ago, Grubby.mp4 said:

alright i'll download this sometime and see if I can do a SSTO for Kerbin. if not, at least Gilly or Pol

Hopefully you mean put this inside an SSTO as a utility vehicle, because this will definitely not lift you off the ground in a high gravity. :)

I thought that you'd be interested that your EMUV combined with a Clamp-O-Tron Jr and a 1.25m heatshield (with a small amount of ablator) gives a neat little Kerbal re-entry vehicle, so long as the Kerbal has a parachute. It can easily de-orbit on the RCS and you even keep the EMUV. I'd expect that the docking port / heatshield bits could be attached to a station, stacked even, so that the EMUVs could dock with them if they were needed rather being attached at all time.

zHDsM9c.png

4CbVInX.png

CfUBfO8.png

oxHGldm.png

CBp8Spj.png

7 hours ago, Robin Patenall said:

I thought that you'd be interested that your EMUV combined with a Clamp-O-Tron Jr and a 1.25m heatshield (with a small amount of ablator) gives a neat little Kerbal re-entry vehicle, so long as the Kerbal has a parachute. It can easily de-orbit on the RCS and you even keep the EMUV. I'd expect that the docking port / heatshield bits could be attached to a station, stacked even, so that the EMUVs could dock with them if they were needed rather being attached at all time.

Beautiful creative thinking on your part. Is heartening to see people considering lots of possibilities.

42 minutes ago, awsumguy76801 said:

does it work on low gravity places like the mun or duna

A member who beta tested it looked to be using it on the Mun, So most likely. Never tried it myself. I have just used in space around ships and stations.

On 3/24/2022 at 11:19 AM, ColdJ said:

because this will definitely not lift you off the ground in a high gravity. :)

Sounds like a challenge.  I definitely  need to spinlaunch, paraglide or catapult it as high as I can.

5 hours ago, Manul said:

Sounds like a challenge.  I definitely  need to spinlaunch, paraglide or catapult it as high as I can.

I meant by itself :)

You could always use it as a cockpit connected to the main fuselage via a docking port Jnr and jettison the plane at some high altitude to paraglide down.

1 hour ago, ColdJ said:

You could always use it as a cockpit connected to the main fuselage via a docking port Jnr and jettison the plane at some high altitude to paraglide down.

It's cheating. The idea is to reach maximum altitude or fly a maximum distance without attaching any propulsion systems (catapult is a launch assist system)

45 minutes ago, Manul said:

It's cheating. The idea is to reach maximum altitude or fly a maximum distance without attaching any propulsion systems (catapult is a launch assist system)

So what you're saying is we need to invent a laser lift mod and then attach five tons of ice for the lasers to ablate! :P

Just now, Tangle said:

So what you're saying is we need to invent a laser lift mod and then attach five tons of ice for the lasers to ablate! :P

I'm just stacking hydraulic pistons... but it doesn't work as expected, switching to spinlaunch in 3...  2....  1

This little thing can fly on Kerbin. It can not take off or climb but it can maintain level flight for about 8 minutes with a speed of 16-18m/s
iBwegbj.png
UyaqCD1.png
J9xfq0K.png
dR6one1.png

8 kilometers is not the best result, it can fly much farther, I've lost lots of altitude and fuel due to experiments with flight profiles.

And it's also the safest and easiest to fly from all Duna aircrafts I've ever tested. It can VTOL on Duna, take off or land horizontally, do an unpowered horizontal landing. Can't SSTO on Duna (or I just didn't try hard enough)
i0NcBmy.png

And this cute little thing can survive reentry without a heatshield (do not try this at home).  Full tank of monoprop and constant RCS-braking is absolutely required.
Q3gJVxJ.png

1 hour ago, Manul said:

And it's also the safest and easiest to fly from all Duna aircrafts I've ever tested. It can VTOL on Duna, take off or land horizontally, do an unpowered horizontal landing. Can't SSTO on Duna (or I just didn't try hard enough)

trZAhtT.pngVVmaR9G.png

I like to dirt bike on Duna myself. :)

On 3/28/2022 at 3:11 PM, ColdJ said:

I like to dirt bike on Duna myself. :)

Low gravity motocross is my dream (since my skills don't allow me to perform spectacular jumps on Earth), but Suzuki will not start at low ambient pressure and no oxygen.

5 hours ago, Manul said:

Low gravity motocross is my dream (since my skills don't allow me to perform spectacular jumps on Earth), but Suzuki will not start at low ambient pressure and no oxygen.

It's ok, my bikes are electric. :)

Looks like something is wrong with  FXModuleAnimateRCS, it creates NREs every FixedUpdate

[ERR 22:47:03.684] Module FXModuleAnimateRCS threw during OnStart: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at FXModuleAnimateRCS.OnStart (PartModule+StartState state) [0x00148] in <cd473063d3a2482f8d93d388d0c95035>:0
  at Part.ModulesOnStart () [0x00120] in <cd473063d3a2482f8d93d388d0c95035>:0

[ERR 22:47:03.685] [TransmitterModule]: Part Module 0 doesn't implement IScalarModule

[EXC 22:47:03.718] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    FXModuleAnimateRCS.FixedUpdate () (at <cd473063d3a2482f8d93d388d0c95035>:0)
    UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    UnityEngine.Debug:CallOverridenDebugHandler(Exception, Object)

I am not really experienced at Log problems. At a guess it is because I left that module in but didn't provide the texture set for the RCS thrusters. If it is a problem for you then you can either delete or comment out the module in the config file. To comment out  a module just put 2 forward slashes in front of MODULE as in the following example. It doesn't stop it working and you would only notice what you have put if you open up the Alt f12 console.

// MODULE
    {
        name = FXModuleAnimateRCS
        animationName = linearRCSGlow
        responseSpeed = 0.01    
        thrustForceMult = 2    
    }

Hope that helps.

On 3/25/2022 at 6:36 PM, Robin Patenall said:

zHDsM9c.png

4CbVInX.png

CfUBfO8.png

oxHGldm.png

CBp8Spj.png

Reminds me of the Man Out of Space Easiest concept.

• 4 months later...
On 4/2/2022 at 6:59 AM, ColdJ said:

I am not really experienced at Log problems. At a guess it is because I left that module in but didn't provide the texture set for the RCS thrusters. If it is a problem for you then you can either delete or comment out the module in the config file. To comment out  a module just put 2 forward slashes in front of MODULE as in the following example. It doesn't stop it working and you would only notice what you have put if you open up the Alt f12 console.

// MODULE
    {
        name = FXModuleAnimateRCS
        animationName = linearRCSGlow
        responseSpeed = 0.01    
        thrustForceMult = 2    
    }

Hope that helps.

Umm.. dont EVER just comment out just part of a node (anything that consists of something containg { } )
It will screw up the WHOLE cfg, with mismatched brackets, and will cause all sorts of issues...
If you want to remove a node, in this case 'MODULE{}', then you have to comment the WHOLE thing... so EVERY line in your example, down to the closing bracket

Edited by Stone Blue

13 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

Umm.. dont EVER just comment out just part of a node (anything that consists of something containg { } )
It will screw up the WHOLE cfg, with mismatched brackets, and will cause all sorts of issues...
If you want to remove a node, in this case 'MODULE{}', then you have to comment the WHOLE thing... so EVERY line in your example, down to the closing bracket

Hi. Long time no hear.

Actually that is not correct for standard part configs. Commenting out before MODULE will cause that entire module to be ignored by the system. The brackets will not figure in to the final config. I am constantly building new parts where I have to comment out or in as I adjust things. My technique was come upon through studing stock configs and multiple other quality mods.

Where it is true is in configs for IVAs,(internals), there if you don't comment out every line it will definitely stuff up the config.

Hope you are well and that we get to chat in the future.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.