Space exploration experiences we want to relive in KSP2

Vl3d

• 2 months later...

Picture this: you receive a distress call from across the system. You expect it to be a few folk stranded on a desert island, but you turn up to a massive Alterra flagship that broke up in the atmosphere. You race down to the ground in your small trading vessel... and this happens.

Imagine having to dodge deadly blasts of green laser from a massive alien gun?

Lets... not put guns in the game about exploring space, shall we? We don't need intelligent aliens either, because at that point you're making the game something that's most certainly no longer KSP.

Besides, what part of warfare in space connects with exploring space, given that there are no "intelligent aliens" and all the nations of Kerbin are united in the goal of exploring the universe, and so there is no war on Kerbin nor is there conflict to be had with an alien race that doesn't exist?

Just because KSP 2 is "set in space" or "about doing things in space" doesn't mean it gets to (or needs, or even WANTS) use ALL the "tropes in space".

If anyone here has been watching the news recently, I think they'd all agree that war is a bad thing right? So is violence in general?
If you answered anything like "violence is the only solution that works", then well that's just false, at least when two sentient life forms are capable of communicating with each other.

I may not be a true pacifist, but let me put my thinking on the matter this way:
Personally I hate violence. And in my vocabulary, the word "hate" is one of the strongest words I know. Equally powerful to the word "love" since the two are polar opposites. I don't say I hate something without first considering every single alternative option. But with violence there aren't many positive outcomes to those alternative outcomes. It also takes a lot of effort to hate something, at least in the true sense of the word.

And yet I hate violence all the same. I try to explore all peaceful solutions to their logical endpoints before I choose violence to solve a problem.

Unfortunately, often the case is that the thing I'm interacting with is either inorganic or non-sentient. If those things are hostile to me, and violence is a tool that works against them, then it seems that that is the only solution. In that case I do not hesitate.

Biting or stinging insects for example, often times the only way to rid yourself of such an insect inside your home is to kill it, since using repellent chemicals won't work due to the insect having insufficient ability to process the layout of your home in order to make it's way out on its own (see: flies constantly flying into a clear window despite an open door or window right next to it).
Now those chemicals might prevent the insect from entering your home, but once it is in fact in the home, the only effective option to remove it from the house without it getting a chance to bite or sting you is to kill the insect.

Now say the problem is that you don't like your neighbor playing loud music in the middle of the night. In this case, both parties are sentient human beings, capable of diplomacy and rational thinking (or so I'd hope).
Because of that, there's no reason to choose violence or even hostility, simply open communications with them and make it known that you are trying to sleep at those late hours. They'll probably try to change their behavior so that it bothers you less, if at all.
If they instead increase the volume of the music they are playing, then they have chosen to be hostile.
In that case, you still don't have to sink to their level.
Instead, you can file a noise complaint. And if it keeps happening, keep complaining about it until someone with more authority than you does something about it (such as the police).
If it happens enough, they'll land themselves in court, which should teach them that hey maybe being intentionally annoying gets you all the wrong kind of attention.

EDIT: I suppose the whole thing I'm trying to say with all these words is that KSP has enough violence in it when you make a mistake on your own. We don't need hostile things (other than the environment itself) making the exploration of space even more difficult.

Edited by SciMan

40 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

Imagine something like this, but landing a spaceship on another planet.

Left landing gear missing… I’ve had this exact experience too many times, I feel called out. 

Also this should be posted here:

16 minutes ago, t_v said:

Left landing gear missing… I’ve had this exact experience too many times, I feel called out. 

How about this?

I swear I could do a much better job at landing that limp baby than this noob. :)

Edited by Vl3d

Stress does weird things to people. For one, when presented with a situation you don't have a response already thought out for, you will tend to panic unless you've either been in the military, have been a commercial aircraft pilot, or have been a member of an EMS or trauma squad. EDIT: And even then it happens sometimes, if only for a moment.

The human mind is simply not well equipped to handle such things (EDIT: at least in situations where you can't solve the problem by killing or running from whatever is causing you stress), and even if you have been trained or had experience in the above mentioned job categories, there's still significant energy and time that must be spent "putting the monkey back in the cage" as I've heard it described, or to put it another way "preventing yourself from making snap decisions that are not well thought out unless that is your final option".

So as far as "I could land that better than they did", maybe you could, maybe you couldn't, but if you're playing KSP your life isn't on the line so you'll be making MUCH better decisions since you're not under as much stress (being fully aware that if you mess something up your life is at risk is just about the most stressful thing there is).

To be honest the space exploration experiences I want to "re"-live aren't things that CAN be re-lived yet, because they haven't happened yet.

Such as operating an orbital shipyard capable of constructing kilometers-long craft that can ply the ways between the stars (or just the planets).
That's something I'd like to experience.

Edited by SciMan

On 6/20/2022 at 3:55 PM, Second Hand Rocket Science said:

Picture this: you receive a distress call from across the system. You expect it to be a few folk stranded on a desert island, but you turn up to a massive Alterra flagship that broke up in the atmosphere. You race down to the ground in your small trading vessel... and this happens.

Imagine having to dodge deadly blasts of green laser from a massive alien gun?

This never happens IRL. Just why???

• 4 months later...