Whats the best TV series ever made?

Pthigrivi

As with most things it really depends on my mood.  And genre.

I'm rather fond of (most) Star Trek, to the point that I named my kid after a couple of the characters.

I absolutely love Orphan Black.  The writing's usually good and the continuity is... questionable, but Tatiana Maslany's ability to convince you that she's actually a couple dozen different people makes it one of my absolute favorites.

Downton Abbey is surely up there for me. As a steadfast fan of Sci Fi, Fantasy, and Action TV and movies primarily, this show is almost impossible to stop watching once you start, in spite of it being none of those things.

8 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

I named my kid after a couple of the characters.

One kid. A couple characters.

Dax?

Edited by Superfluous J

1 minute ago, Geonovast said:

I absolutely love Orphan Black.  The writing's usually good and the continuity is... questionable, but Tatiana Maslany's ability to convince you that she's actually a couple dozen different people makes it one of my absolute favorites.

This.   I know she’s playing all those parts.   I know it.      I just don’t believe that it.  

2 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

This.   I know she’s playing all those parts.   I know it.      I just don’t believe that it.  

Yeah I kept forgetting those weren't different actors.

The best part is when one of them is pretending to be another, and not only can you tell that, you can tell which one is pretending to be which other one.

Edited by Superfluous J

Objectively, these are far from the best but if you're looking for TV that I loved as a kid:

Automan (because Cursor.)
Manimal (because who wouldn't want to turn into a black panther at will.)
The Tripods. (Let's hear it for pre-CGI BBC budget special effects!)

And y'all can get off my lawn now. :) 

Edited by KSK

1 hour ago, KSK said:

Manimal (because who wouldn't want to turn into a black panther at will

I see by the description he could be any animal, but when you put “black panther” I had to see what came first, Manimal or Cat People*. I guess the latter was inspired by the former

*Soundtrack by David Bowie: “Putting out the fire with gasoline…”

This is a tough question, because I am stuck between Futurama, Top Gear, and The Venture Bros. (All extremely good shows, and I highly recommend them)

Jericho and Upload are also some of my favorites. Oh, and Eureka.

Edited by Ben J. Kerman

2 hours ago, Ben J. Kerman said:

Jericho and Upload are also some of my favorites. 

Upload was good, but I couldn’t get into the second season that recently dropped. But as long as we’re on Amazon Prime, The Great* is rude, crude, totally NSFK, but absolutely hilarious. 

And I agree with @Superfluous Jthat Downton Abbey was an excellent show, including the follow up movie. 

*an occasionally true story

On 3/29/2022 at 1:35 AM, Geonovast said:

I'm rather fond of (most) Star Trek, to the point that I named my kid after a couple of the characters.

Which series is your fave? And may I ask which character(s)? No shade, we're seriously considering Cirdan for our next and thats way, way dorkier. 

Edit: Update, Im into season 2 of my Wire rewatch and this should literally be mandatory civics curriculum in this country. The depths! The Depths!

On 3/28/2022 at 1:06 PM, TheSaint said:

Six Feet Under is one of the smartest shows I've ever watched. Probably the best series finale ever. I think it should be required viewing these days, considering the events of the last two years.

Excellent show. My architecture thesis was a necropolis and I cited this show as research. 

Also, going back, Homicide: Life on the Street. Same creator as the Wire. David Simon. 100% the best TV ever made before 2000. This episode aired in 1995, beyond prophetic.

Edited by Pthigrivi

9 hours ago, Pthigrivi said:

Which series is your fave? And may I ask which character(s)? No shade, we're seriously considering Cirdan for our next and thats way, way dorkier. 

Her first name is Jadzia, middle Nerys.  I'll let you infer the favorite series from that.

Three great television series:

"Barry Miller"
One of the few 1970's shows I can still watch today.  (Others I wonder that I could even stand them back then because I certainly can't stand them now.)  The light-hearted cop show that a lot of cops said was damn close to reality.

"Hill Street Blues"
Stephen Bocho's 1980's police procedural introduced me to strongly-arced television outside of soap operas.  An amazing show with many memorable episodes and characters.  Remember, let's be careful out there!

"Dark Shadows"
The 1960's soap-turned-supernatural show was actually the first strongly-arced show i watched.  The recent film made of it was a bloody insult.

1 hour ago, Jacke said:

"Barry Miller"

Autocowrecked?

Barney Miller, yup, good show, my brother always watched it, but I was too young at the time to appreciate it. 

I also remember my mom watching Hill Street Blues a lot, but again, at that age I was more into things like Knight Rider and Airwolf. Or Colecovision. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2022 at 10:14 PM, Jacke said:

"Dark Shadows"
The 1960's soap-turned-supernatural show was actually the first strongly-arced show i watched.  The recent film made of it was a bloody insult.

Yes, yes, YES!!!!  I was so in love with this growing up! And I agree the recent movie was a disaster

Speaking of disasters, I haven't seen another of my favorites on here... The tragically short lived WKRP in Cincinnati. The only show that I know of featuring a turkey based disaster!!!

(Note: No turkeys were actually harmed during filming... at least that I know of... lmao) :happy:  :valhappy:

• 1 month later...
On 3/29/2022 at 3:05 PM, KSK said:

The Tripods. (Let's hear it for pre-CGI BBC budget special effects!)

No you didn't. That show simultaneously destroyed my childhood and made me the weirdo I am today. 

I just wrapped Better Call Saul season 5 so I can dive into 6, and couldn't help but revisit Breaking Bad. I've revised my vote:

Best Series Pound for Pound/ Per episode: HBO's Watchmen 
Most Perfect TV series: Breaking Bad
Best TV series: The Wire

I can pretty honestly say nothing else even rates. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.