Whats the best TV series ever made?

Pthigrivi

53 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

Agreed

Yep. I still watch that show regularly. Igor, one of the folks in the mess hall... Come on, you Army vets, admit it. Every Army mess hall has an Igor serving chow! :D

On 4/13/2022 at 6:16 PM, Just Jim said:

Speaking of disasters, I haven't seen another of my favorites on here... The tragically short lived WKRP in Cincinnati. The only show that I know of featuring a turkey based disaster!!!

To this day one of my all-time favorite lines ever spoken by humans.

"With God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."

18 minutes ago, Superfluous J said:

To this day one of my all-time favorite lines ever spoken by humans.

"With God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."

I think I’m missing some context here.... but they can.. I’ve seen it myself... for loose definitions of fly.    It’s very Kerbalesque.   

9 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

I think I’m missing some context here.... but they can.. I’ve seen it myself... for loose definitions of fly.    It’s very Kerbalesque.   

IIRC, the problem was "not when frozen".

I was apparently thinking of something else.

Edited by razark

On 3/28/2022 at 6:15 PM, Gargamel said:

This was required viewing for noobs in the station house when I just started as an EMT.   Those two actors are still keynote speakers at the various EMS conventions. 

Little back story to the show, I'll get the details a little fuzzy, but the general idea is what matters. 

Before the time of this show, Ambulances were basically body trucks that would pick up injured/sick people and drop them off at hospitals.  You were luck if you had somebody ride in the back with you.   There was no treatment aside from bandages.   You just had to hold on and be lucky. 

LA County in California had started up a pilot program where they took the smartest firefighters around (Those are hard to find :P) and gave them some medical training.  These guys were doing a lot of the things we see today, Cardiac monitoring, IV drugs, etc.  They had far less autonomy that medics today, as they had to call the hospital for orders for just about everything, and the doctor in the ER was the only one allowed to read an EKG, but the medicine was out in the field, and pre-hospital survival rates were sky rocketing. 

Then there was a car crash that involved a famous Hollywood TV producer.  He was amazed at the job these guys were doing and wanted to showcase it in a new TV show.   Hence, Emergency! was born.  The rest of the country then got to see this amazing system LA had in place, and they started asking why their city didn't have paramedics.   It's estimated that the show Emergency! advanced the rollout of pre-hospital medicine by 30-50 years in less than a decade, as normally it would take a long time for the results of their program to proliferate through the industry.   

I'd completely forgotten about "Emergency" until I saw your post.  Damn, that was back in the day.  I now recall a lot of it.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/28/2022 at 6:45 AM, benzman said:

I don't watch a great amount of TV but for my money the best British TV series was 'Yes, Minister' and the best American was 'Breaking Bad'.

In this context 'best' means 'personal favourite'.  After thinking for a while I want to add Barney Miller and The Big Bang Theory to my American favourites and Red Dwarf to my British.

A very long-running series.

Watching it since 1970s, when it was grayscale, but they still keep running it.
Trying to not skip any episode.

Funny, idk, what's its actual name. Fans usually call it The Table.

Spoiler

1000_F_337823552_Vii5WGhtep2rJ7t5GRbNE2P

5 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

A very long-running series.

Watching it since 1970s, when it was grayscale, but they still keep running it.
Trying to not skip any episode.

Funny, idk, what's its actual name. Fans usually call it The Table.

Reveal hidden contents

1000_F_337823552_Vii5WGhtep2rJ7t5GRbNE2P

Well, there was the North American version, called Test Pattern

Spoiler

1280px-SMPTE_Color_Bars.svg.png

On 7/9/2022 at 3:16 AM, benzman said:

In this context 'best' means 'personal favourite'.  After thinking for a while I want to add Barney Miller and The Big Bang Theory to my American favourites and Red Dwarf to my British.

I'll agree with "Barney Miller" and "Red Dwarf" being great.

"The Big Bang Theory" is horrible to women and science academics.  I hope it's soon forgotten.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.