Rotating Habs?

Rotating "Habitats" Y or N?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. should rotating habitats be in the game Y or N?

• Y
    • N
    • Maybe if the devs can pull it off

3 hours ago, shdwlrd said:

They make an appearance in the trailer video and others. So there is a good chance that they will be stock.

Failing that you could just spin your craft up to speed during the orbit breaking burn.

Plus continuous acceleration on rails will give semi-offical gravity like in the expanse. 

Seem KSP2 has most bases covered from what we have seen. 

Edited by mattinoz

On 3/28/2022 at 9:59 PM, shdwlrd said:

They make an appearance in the trailer video and others. So there is a good chance that they will be stock.

im not talking about the small ones im talking like o'neill cylinder level sizes

Edited by jaf

31 minutes ago, jaf said:

im not talking about the small ones im talking like o'neill cylinder level sizes

That is hard to tell from the term "rotating hab" which could mean a lot of things of many sizes.  O'Neill cylinders would be fantastic, but I think they might be on the smaller end of that design for physics reasons if they are doable.  But who knows?

Edited by darthgently

1 hour ago, jaf said:

And how big would that be? Are you thinking about the size of the Babylon stations from Babylon 5, or the Medina/Nauvoo station from the Expanse, or the stations seen in Interstellar?

19 hours ago, darthgently said:

That is hard to tell from the term "rotating hab" which could mean a lot of things of many sizes.  O'Neill cylinders would be fantastic, but I think they might be on the smaller end of that design for physics reasons if they are doable.  But who knows?

18 hours ago, shdwlrd said:

And how big would that be? Are you thinking about the size of the Babylon stations from Babylon 5, or the Medina/Nauvoo station from the Expanse, or the stations seen in Interstellar?

they wouldnt have to be to big just large enough to be considered a "habitat" or atleast a space colony

i'd say about the size of kalpana one or maybe babylon 5

18 minutes ago, jaf said:

they wouldnt have to be to big just large enough to be considered a "habitat" or atleast a space colony

I'd say Kalpana at 250m radius x 325m in length is very imaginable in KSP either stock or mod.  

B5 being ~840m x 8km, could be problematic.  Maybe a mini-B5.  Call it a Baby Babylon and size it something like 210m x 2km could be done

If Kalpanas could be docked end to end with their interiors opened to each other one could incrementally build a mini Babylon; that could be cool

The Kalpana has the advantage of being a "real" design I suppose, so maybe it is better planned out, but I don't really know

49 minutes ago, jaf said:

I'm not seeing any reason not to try building one in game. But as a stock option, no. Even as a mod, I would have to say that a completed tube is a no go. If it was released as sections that you have to build up, that would be an interesting mod to have. 

3 hours ago, shdwlrd said:

I'm not seeing any reason not to try building one in game. But as a stock option, no. Even as a mod, I would have to say that a completed tube is a no go. If it was released as sections that you have to build up, that would be an interesting mod to have. 

ok well it would atleast be cool if we could have curved station parts so we could make stations like the gateway spaceport or rotating stations without having to use glitches and stuff

8 hours ago, jaf said:

ok well it would atleast be cool if we could have curved station parts so we could make stations like the gateway spaceport or rotating stations without having to use glitches and stuff

In KSP1 it is possible to build rotating stations and have them produce gravity. But it’s also KSP, so it doesn't like trying anything like that. So if you try something like that, you're inviting the Kraken to come play with your station.

Centrifugal forces do work in KSP, but we will have to see how craft assembly handles ring structures first. Then we will need to see how KSP2 handles the physics interactions that causes it. Because we all know that KSP1 really doesn't like loops in the craft structure, nor does it like things spinning at any meaningful rates. We'll have to wait and see. (I don't think it will long before these questions are answered.)

Rotating habs, meaning small-scale gravity rings, are basically confirmed already- they featured several times in the original trailer and are an obvious thing to add for that life-support-y bit, as well as looking really cool.

As for larger space structures in the vein of O'Neill cylinders and the like, I doubt it- their sheer size could cause physics problems, crashing into one could produce weird effects (many small parts would mean only a little bit would explode but would mean they'd be hundreds or even thousands of parts and even if KSP2 can handle it better than KSP, it'll still have limits; a few large parts could mean an entire 1km section of the structure and everyone inside it just disappears because you pressed the wrong button during docking and accelerated into it) and they're a bit too large-scale for the sort of colony building that has been shown so far for KSP2.