X-wink vs Kie Fighter

ColdJ

License: CC-BY-SA-4.0

https://spacedock.info/mod/3004/X-wink vs Kiefighter

Welcome to Xwink vs Kie Fighter. Updated to 1.2.0

on 22/6/2022

Change Log: For 1.0.1 (New Change log below) Corrected many spelling mistakes. Added forgotten resource file. Added Tie interceptor nacelles to make up for it.

4 space fighters based on the Star Wars models. 2 from each side.

Apologies. I did forget something The ships run off enriched uranium and I forgot to add the resource file so I will add a link to the Community Resource Pack, that has it, or if you have the YnoT1300 mod it has the resource file in it. Uploading to Spacedock is spotty for me so it might take time to update. Community Resource pack link on Spacedock. https://spacedock.info/mod/31

Each body is basically a flying wing that is directed by their reaction wheels. Though they are straight forward to fly they won't react the same as craft that use elevons to change direction. The Tie Fighter based craft are pretty precise because their nacelles are basically vertical wings and so provide enough drag control surface to catch the air for turning sharply. The X-wing and A-wing need more of a banked turn so that their bodies act as the drag. This is especially true of the A-wing at speed as it will slide as if on ice as it turns without banking the body to act as a brake.

Each craft is 2 pieces so that the engines and RCS systems are on separate pieces, this resolves a conflict that can arise from having both systems on the one model. In the A-wings case this is an RCS cross that clicks inside the body.

3 of the craft have Landing gear systems that require Linuxgurugamer's small plugin AnimateGenericEffects and I will provide a link to it.

https://spacedock.info/mod/2345/ModuleAnimateGenericEffects

For the Tie Advanced it is a retractable ladder at the back so that Kerbals can climb up. The Tie Fighter has an invisible ladder on the left nacelle so they can climb up and down. The RCS systems are powerful in order to take off and land vertically and should be thrust limited down when used in space. They are not required for flying in atmosphere. Generally getting back on the A-wing means climbing the nose or leaving it with the gear retracted so you can just walk up it.

The X-wing comes with 2 extra parts, as it is designed to be used with my R2D2 clone called RND. An elevator and a docking plate that RND can attach to and be lowered and lifted in and out of it's hole. It can also undock and redock to the plate as it has the ability to dock built in to it's feet. The docking plate has it's white side as being able to dock.

I WILL PUT 2 CRAFT FILES IN THE MAIN FOLDER, ONE OF THE X-WING SET UP WITH THE LIFT AND ONE THAT ALSO HAS RND ATTACHED IF YOU HAVE GOT THAT MOD ALSO.

Change log:1.2.0
Added a Tie Bomber, A Y-wing and a Snow speeder. Added a Concussion Missile tube that can be placed anywhere and uses the Fireworks system. Added a VTOL motivator that can be attached to any of the craft for VTOL and hover. Is visible on the base Tie fighter and Tie bomber but have made it see through so it doesn't stand out too much.
Added more colour variations to all craft. The Snow Speeder has 2 Airbrake flaps to give it the look from the movie, they are functional but not very powerful, so as to not impact the performance of the speeder. As it is a speeder the engines are only good up to around 3km up.
All the craft now use the new light system and now have head lights.
Updated the nodes so that the VTOL clicks into all of them. The Snow Speeder uses the A-wings RCS cross and has nodes for the flaps.
The RND lift has been visually shortened to not seem to be sticking out of the bottom of the Y-wing.
Have included craft files for a Tie Bomber and a Snow Speeder in the main folder. VTOL set to Custom Throttle 1, Concussion set to 1 and bomb on bomber to 2.

THE RND LIFT REQUIRES BREAKING GROUND TO WORK

I hope that covers it. I am sure there will be something I have missed.

Enjoy.

X-wink_vs_Kiefighter-1655867241.png

SnwISnwNight

7CPqTGq.png

mQFqf2J.png

6IxwL4O.png

eLoDGXS.png

uq930gE.png

byrX0W5.png

Edited by ColdJ

12 hours ago, Exist_cat said:

I cannot express how nerdy I felt when I saw the red marking and went "That's the 181st"

The red Tie Fighter must have been seriously deadly. :)

Apologies. I did forget something. The ships run off enriched uranium and I forgot to add the resource file so I will add a link to the Community Resource Pack, that has it, or if you have the YnoT1300 mod it has the resource file in it. Uploading to Spacedock is spotty for me so it might take time to update. Community Resource pack link on Spacedock. https://spacedock.info/mod/31

3 minutes ago, Fletch4 said:

does the model for the tie advanced have the extra... "girth" on the back?  it looks like it could be added with the wings

What do you mean by Girth?

It is modeled after the original in all the dimensions but scaled for Kerbal.

ZuZ1XPI.png

ab4GbvI.png

8MJxkVe.png

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Space Scumbag said:

Hello, just finished a video about your mod. :)

Lovely. Thank you for that. I don't have the stuff to do that myself. Would love to see you do the Ynot1300 (Millennium Falcon etc) if you have the time.

• 3 weeks later...

Internal done and made it a 2 seater, even though canon has that area as the motorised base of the roof cannons. Needed something to say, why you would want to fly an Y-wing when you have access to a X-wing. Going to make a part that can be added so you can fire fireworks as missiles.

s9jThu1.pngc4HsZiF.pngZvglhIo.png

Tie Bomber done except for an internal. Made an easily placeable concussion missile launcher that can be slid into place on any model.

6oQkUfD.jpg1FFv1jU.pngI5ME80l.png9G8Tpxw.pngx6GjK1f.png

Edited by ColdJ

9 hours ago, JonnyOThan said:

These look awesome...is there IVA support?  If you can make an internal shell model I wouldn't mind taking a stab at populating it.

They have basic functional internals. Just the animated props that you need for direction, speed, depth and to see what is turned on and where the throttle position is.

I don't know what is required for IVA support, assuming you mean interactive monitors.

What did you have in mind?

2 hours ago, ColdJ said:

They have basic functional internals. Just the animated props that you need for direction, speed, depth and to see what is turned on and where the throttle position is.

I don't know what is required for IVA support, assuming you mean interactive monitors.

What did you have in mind?

Right - I currently maintain RasterPropMonitor and I'm working on a VR mod that can use RPM IVAs.  I know it can be a giant pain for modders to build functional IVAs.  I wanted to make a custom one to show off the VR stuff so I recently learned how to build out the props for an IVA (plus I made a few modifications to PartTools to make things easier).  Anyway, if you want a hand with that I'm willing - but I'm not too good yet with modeling so I don't think I could make the 3d shell itself - but it sounds like you already have those.

@JonnyOThan.

Hi. I like to make my mods to not have a lot of dependencies, but I am fine if you want to create a supplemental mod that uses an MM patch to substitute your internal model instead of the original. I make all my stuff free to be used so I have no problem with you using my internal shell to create your IVA populated ones.

I just need to put 2 more crew seats into the Lambda Shuttle and add a faux door, then I can give you a link so that you can get the model so far to work on. The Lambda has lots of room so will have plenty of space for you to populate.

Will PM you when I am ready.

If you are in a hurry then feel free to use the Xwing etc from the current mod, the Tie Fighters don't have a lot of room unless you cover the window.

Edited by ColdJ

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.