So I started a new campaign, reload disabled, permadeath, dangers everywhere

Fierce Wolf

I decided this was a good challenge, disabled reload, any kerbal that dies in misson stays death. Starting out 3 of my kerbals died already, one never even went to space! (he suffered a collition in a jet powered rover near KSP), now I have enough tech to go unmanned mostly.

I can't really test the mission before hand so it's been harddddd. So far I landed a manned mission on Mun and Minmus, no casualties. Next step: Duna unmanned (AND GLORY)

1 hour ago, Fierce Wolf said:

I can't really test the mission before hand so it's been harddddd.

Without breaking realism/immersion, you could create a second save, sandbox or career with reverts/saves enabled, and use that as your 'simulation' environment. You won't be able to replay the exact same missions, but it does give you an opportunty to do some R&D *before* risking your kerbals to a new untested craft.

6 hours ago, Fierce Wolf said:

I decided this was a good challenge, disabled reload, any kerbal that dies in misson stays death. Starting out 3 of my kerbals died already, one never even went to space! (he suffered a collition in a jet powered rover near KSP), now I have enough tech to go unmanned mostly.

I can't really test the mission before hand so it's been harddddd. So far I landed a manned mission on Mun and Minmus, no casualties. Next step: Duna unmanned (AND GLORY)

Rescue missions will build your crew back up without the big hiring costs

19 hours ago, swjr-swis said:
21 hours ago, Fierce Wolf said:

I can't really test the mission before hand so it's been harddddd.

Without breaking realism/immersion, you could create a second save, sandbox or career with reverts/saves enabled, and use that as your 'simulation' environment. You won't be able to replay the exact same missions, but it does give you an opportunty to do some R&D *before* risking your kerbals to a new untested craft.

Defeats the entire purpose of challenging yourself to not use such luxuries; this is just quicksave by proxy.

2 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

Defeats the entire purpose of challenging yourself to not use such luxuries; this is just quicksave by proxy.

'Single life, no reloads' doesn't equal 'no testing'. OP seems to be lamenting not having a testing option.

NASA has simulators and an R&D department. It doesn't make astronauts immortal, or time lords, not even 'by proxy'. They still only get one shot at the real mission.

19 hours ago, swjr-swis said:
22 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

'Single life, no reloads' doesn't equal 'no testing'. OP seems to be lamenting not having a testing option.

NASA has simulators and an R&D department. It doesn't make astronauts immortal, or time lords, not even 'by proxy'. They still only get one shot at the real mission.

"Single life, no reloads" means "Single life, no reloads". NASA doesn't get the chance to test its latest rocket with 100% accuracy by going to a second universe where rewinding the world is allowed.

I feel you. Doing a permadeath, no reverts career mode run myself, except I also have unmanned-before-manned, no extra ground-stations, and various other difficulty tweaks. I'll tell you, I had to restart probably 10-15 times before I got to a place where a single mistake doesn't wipe out all of my progress. Even with all of my restarts, I have killed Jeb and Bob already after their capsule rolled down a mountain and exploded after a long Mun mission. So, again, I really feel ya there.

Still no Duna mission, I tried to gain some funds rescuing parts landed on the Mun, with hillarious results.

1st attempt) I forgot to put reaction wheels on the rover, quickly eated it's monoprop reserves, spinned out of control and lithobreaked with passion.

2nd attempt) Clawed the 1 ton thingy on Mun, started the engines, but alas, it was too heavy, spinned and landed EXACTLY rescued part first, exploding. (and perma failed the mission)

3rd attempt on a part in orbit) Clawed it, lowered my orbit but not enough, burned to nothingness in Kerbin's atmo (MISSION FAILED)

I will try a fly by Eve next in preparation for Duna, which will obviously fail, so I will send 2 :D

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/8/2022 at 7:50 AM, Fierce Wolf said:

lithobreaked with passion

I'm stealing this phrase.  :)

Enjoyed reading your thread and play KSP in a similar fashion most of the time. You aren't asking, but thought I'd mention that maybe a mod or three might make it less of a carnage-fest and maybe even more fun. 

• KRASH - Simulations so you can test things but there are still costs for the simulations so it isn't "free". This way you can keep your no-revert high-risk play style.
  • Any Life Support mod - I prefer TAC, but have played with probably all of them at one point. This makes it so you need to bring along supplies and have to plan for how long a mission will be so you bring enough supplies
  • A probe-before-crew tech-tree altering mod - There are several, but I'm currently using the Probes Before Crew mod with good success so far 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.