What musical instrument(s) do you play?

AlamoVampire

The title pretty much says it all. Since I am asking all of you, I will share what I play (or rather used to, as it has been a while).

Cello and before that the clarinet. I am actually looking to pick my Cello up again, but the instrument needs new strings and my bow likely needs new hair lol.

So how about you?

I used to be a drummer and pianist/xylophonist.   But I gave that up after highschool, wish I hadn't.   I was decent, but I could pull a song off the radio and in hour or so have a working rendition of it on the piano, usually simplified down to be easily playable on the xylophone.  So I guess that's a version of being pitch perfect.   Except... a dying seal sings better than I do, I'm not just flat or sharp, I'm like 3-4 notes off, and with horribly ear retching vibrato.   So it's a completely useless talent now that I've forgotten how to play the piano.    Although I can still do the theme song to Top Gun really well.   That one's burned into my brain forever.   C-G-G-F-E-D-E-D- C-D-E-D-E-F-E-F-G-C is the opening bit, all naturals. 

i got an electric guitar, practice amp, and a diy crunch box made with junk. i dont play it all that much, it kind of sits around and collects dust. sometimes i play some thrash riffs or some blues. i think i spend more time hacking on it than i do playing it. put in a couple hotrail pickups and i want to add a preamp. 

I don’t play an instrument, but if anything I’d play the drums since I have that sense of rhythm. But I’m told I’m not bad at karaoke. It’s been awhile since COVID shut most stuff down, and I’m looking forward to my next chance (hopefully soon) since there’s still some songs I can’t believe I haven’t karaoke‘d yet (Kod dam the pusher man!)

Although I can play the chord to  “Smoke on the Water “ on the guitar (kid’s guitar lessons, abandoned after a few sessions) just like anyone else who played with a guitar for more than five minutes. 

But when it come to air drums and air guitar, I’m a rock star…. :cool:

rock-emoji.gif

E: finally off mobile, I can post a rock emoji...

Edited by StrandedonEarth

I play the French Horn (F/Bb, and the soprano French horn), oboe, alto recorder, soprano recorder, flugelhorn, cornet, guitar and the piano. I am teaching myself to play the ukulele.

I'd prefer to play on an instrument than to watch television most nights.

To say I  can actually *play* it would be an exaggeration, but I've been working on designing a one-man-band instrument. Presenting, the Trombanjourone Mark IV
sdwjRYy.png

I bolted a violin neck to a tambourine and shoved a slide whistle up the back.

It's up to mkV, now, and it's about time I made the mkVI; the attachment needs to be redone with more precise cuts.

• 2 weeks later...

this thread inspired me to dust off my guitar and play a few chords. i realized i was still bad, unplugged all the things, and returned the guitar to its case, stuck it in the closet and closed the door. 

crunch box still works surprisingly, even though only two of the knobs seem to do anything. the schematic i used was vague about what value and type to use. i also took some liberties with the bom. omitted was the stomp switch (why would i want to turn it off?) and rather than the high quality audio opamp referenced in the design, which has 2 channels, i used a pair of general purpose opamps. its still technically a class a amplifier so there is that. it uses a pair of red leds to chop the signal, supposedly the semiconductors in red make the audio sound better. i always wondered what would happen if i put blue ones in it. 

Edited by Nuke

• 2 weeks later...

I can play the piano and violin to a reasonably high level, probably a few others to a pretty low level, but definitely not the cornet- the one time I've tried to play a cornet, I sat there for five minutes blowing raspberries down it and trying to stop laughing like the mature, sensible adult I am. :blush:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.