[1.12.x]Exception Detector - v1.3.0.0-adoption - `<Exceptional Log>` edition [01 Apr 2022]

zer0Kerbal

ExceptionDetector KSP version License
Curseforge CKAN GitHub SpaceDock
Code KSP-AVC Validate AVC .version files

GitHub Pages

Exception Detector (ED)

This add-on creates a log file by hooking into the logger callbacks in Unity and is able to extract more value from the available information. Assists in finding issues that you might not even be aware of and might be able to find any pesky add-on(s) that might be causing your issues. For Kerbal Space Program.

By zer0Kerbal, originally by @godarklight and @Grigetio "SlimJimDodger"

Help Wanted

• Have a request? Glad to have them, kindly submit through GitHub.

Localization

• English English
  • your translation here

HELP WANTED - See the README in the Localization folder for instructions for adding or improving translations. GitHub push is the best way to contribute. Additions and corrections welcome!

How to support this and other great mods by zer0Kerbal

Support Github Sponsor Patreon Buy zer0Kerbal a snack

See More

• Discussions and news on this mod: See Discussions or KSP Forums
  • Changelog Summary for more details of changes : See ChangeLog
  • Known Issues for more details of feature requests and known issues : See Known Issues
  • GitHub Pages : See Pages

Installation Directions

Use CurseForge/OverWolf App (currently does not install dependencies) 1

CurseForge/OverWolf App

or CKAN 1

Dependencies

Suggests

Conflicts

Tags

• plugin, convenience, information

*red box below is a link to forum post on how to get support*

How to get support

Be Kind: Lithobrake, not jakebrake! Keep your Module Manager up to date

Credits and Special Thanks

see Attribution.md for comprehensive list

Legal Mumbo Jumbo (License provenance)

Current (1) - zer0Kerbal

Forum: Thread - Source: GitHub
License: License

Disclaimer(s)

All bundled mods are distributed under their own licenses
All art assets (textures, models, animations, sounds) are distributed under their own licenses

Original (1)- Maintainer: @Grigetio aka SlimJimDodger

Forum: Thread - Download: SpaceDock - Source: GitHub

Original (0) - Author: @godarklight

Forum: Thread - Download: SpaceDock - Source: GitHub

1. this isn't a mod. ;P↩︎

2. may work on other versions (YMMV)↩︎

3. Be Kind: Lithobrake, not jakebrake! Keep your Module Manager up to date!↩︎

Edited by zer0Kerbal

ExceptionDetector Version
KSP version License
AVC .version files GitHub Pages

Version 1.3.0.0-adoption - <Exceptional Log!>

01 Apr 2022
Release for Kerbal Space Program [KSP 1.12.x]
Working on SpaceDock (was mod #600, will see if can get that one back @VITAS)

DO A CLEAN INSTALL:
DELETE EXISTING INSTALLATION THEN RE-INSTALL

Download from CurseForge

Adoption

Normal Adoption stuff

Code

• Recompile
    • .NET 4.7.2
    • C# 9.0

Status

• Issues
    • closes #6 - ExceptionDetector 1.3.0.0-adoption <Exceptional Log!>
    • closes #7 - 1.3.0.0 Verify Legal Mumbo Jumbo
    • closes #8 - 1.3.0.0 Update Documentation
    • closes #9 - 1.3.0.0 Create Social Media

See More

• Changelog Summary for more details of changes : See ChangeLog
  • Discussions and news on this mod : See Discussions or KSP Forums
  • Known Issues for more details of feature requests and known issues : See Known Issues
  • GitHub Pages : See Pages

Localization

• English English
  • your translation here

HELP WANTED - See the README in the Localization folder for instructions for adding or improving translations. GitHub push is the best way to contribute. Additions and corrections welcome!

How to support this and other great mods by zer0Kerbal

Support Patreon Github Sponsor Buy zer0Kerbal a snack

*red box below is a link to forum post on how to get support*

How to get support

Be Kind: Lithobrake, not jakebrake! Keep your Module Manager up to date

Edited by zer0Kerbal

This will be very useful. Only the other day I was reducing exceptions, looking at logs - having about 230 mods means you have to be careful.

Aside: As a programming language designer, let me just add to that Tony Hoare who said "Null pointers were a billion dollar mistake", that "Exceptions are a trillion dollar mistake".

2 hours ago, 610yesnolovely said:

This will be very useful. Only the other day I was reducing exceptions, looking at logs - having about 230 mods means you have to be careful.

Aside: As a programming language designer, let me just add to that Tony Hoare who said "Null pointers were a billion dollar mistake", that "Exceptions are a trillion dollar mistake".

thank you @610yesnolovely!

I am still working out it's inner mechanics - the filtering etc, with that said - it has been very helpful to me personally.

Still have three major projects with it:

1. Localize the code (easy enough) but the logs still need to be in English (it's the stock language, and like Maritime, Aeronautical, and Space - the stock language) Code Localization
  2. add scrollbars and fix the height of the GUI window so it stays fully on screen [Bug th?id=OIP.cpfOx3RRCNI7JwVjr6zMzAAAAA%26pid=Api&f=1]: GUI window height 0
  3. move the default log location to <KSP ROOT>/Logs/ExceptionDetector/ed.log and put a timestamp in the name [Bug th?id=OIP.cpfOx3RRCNI7JwVjr6zMzAAAAA%26pid=Api&f=1]: Log location and Name
  4. ?
Edited by zer0Kerbal
pesky [Ll]

4. In-game button, with blurb as required for add-on rules below, which copies Player.log, KSP.log and Ed.log into a date stamped zip file in the KSP root folder (may need to remove paths or identification data from files first?) and then shows the file location (and copies it to clipboard? or opens file explorer). 

Basically a simple mod that devs can ask users to install to help get diags. Perhaps there's one already? I'm sure the seasoned mod developers can advise on that (and limitations).

I'm often surprised how hard people find it to upload logs to dropbox, and how often devs have to say "no logs, no support", which is entirely reasonable request.

3 hours ago, 610yesnolovely said:

4. In-game button, with blurb as required for add-on rules below, which copies Player.log, KSP.log and Ed.log into a date stamped zip file in the KSP root folder (may need to remove paths or identification data from files first?) and then shows the file location (and copies it to clipboard? or opens file explorer). 

Basically a simple mod that devs can ask users to install to help get diags. Perhaps there's one already? I'm sure the seasoned mod developers can advise on that (and limitations).

I'm often surprised how hard people find it to upload logs to dropbox, and how often devs have to say "no logs, no support", which is entirely reasonable request.

Interesting idea and I like it - however two sticky wickets: which archive program is used and for which operating system?

I like it - just haven't a foggiest 'Hardy Boys' clue on how I would code it.

• 1 year later...

@zer0Kerbal I see that nothing has been done with this for nearlya year (according to the commit history on Github), wondering if you are done with it.

I've made the following changes to a local copy of your repo:

It has the following bug fixes/improvements

• Merged in (by hand) ru files from github user @evanisrael
  • Changed .Net version from .Net 3.5 to .Net 4.8
  • Move log into the Logs/ExceptionDetector dir  rather than in the Plugins dir
  • Adjusted windows size and positioning
  • Limited window size to 85% of screen height
  • Made window start small and expand to 85% of screen, and then starts using scrollbars
  • Enabled window to hide when entire UI is hidden (F2 key)
  • Added button to reset the lists
  • Added code to not write the stacktrace to the log file if it was empty
  • Added whitelist (if string is in the error condition, it won't be reported)
  • Added resizing to the window, using the right edge, bottom right corner or bottom edge
  • Added toggles to top of window to enable/disable word wrapping and fixed width; fixed width only applies when wordwrap is enabled, it keeps the text width to about 20% of the screen width
  • Added toggle to enable/disable the whitelist

I'd be happy to do a PR with this, but:   Not going to get into any controversy here, but I want this to be available in CKAN.  I'm not going to get into any reasons behind your actions, they are yours, and I'm not going to argue.  However, I want my work to be available via CKAN.

If you don't want to do that, it's fine.  This isn't a highly used mod, so it's not a big deal either way.

Posted (edited)

@linuxgurugamer As always and with all my addons - GitHub PR's are always welcome with two notable exceptions: adding dependencies strongly discouraged and adding Harmony is forbidden.

Awaiting your PR.

Am still working with all my addons. You also have my private email address.

Edited by zer0Kerbal