[1.12.x] ForScience! - Your science autopilot.

linuxgurugamer

A nice little mod to help you get science originally made by @WaveFunctionP, original thread here:  https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/107803-142-forscience-v152-your-science-autopilot/

It hasn't been updated since KSP 1.4.2, I've adopted this and brought it up-to-date

Of all the mods on this list, this one feels the most like cheating. For Science! is designed to remove the science grind by automating it. Simply taking a thermometer into the ocean will automatically record that reading and store it in the command module. Arming a plane with a few experiments and flying it across Kerbin will bring in a steady stream of new science points. No more guessing if you're over a certain biome or trying to fly and press go on an experiment at the same time.

PCGamer: http://www.pcgamer.com/the-best-kerbal-space-program-mods-2/

ForScience! is an autopilot for running, collecting and resetting experiments.
Science can start to be a little grindy or tedious after some time playing KSP. This plugin is intended to help improve the experience in various ways.

What it does:

• Automagicly detects and runs experiments that have science available, when they are available. (Even those special biomes around KSC.)
  • Automagicly collects the data from those experiments into a science container (command pod).
  • Automagicly resets experiments that are "run once", when you have a scientist onboard. (mystery goo, sci jrs)

What it does not do:

• Give you science you could haven't gotten otherwise.
  • Run experiments that do not implement the stock science modules.
  • Run "run once" experiments without a scientist on board.

How to Use:

• The Green FS toolbar icon means it is running.
  • The Red FS toolbar icon means it is not running.
  • No toolbar icon means you have no containers onboard, (And that it is not runnning).

Dependencies

Availability

Available via CKAN

Edited by linuxgurugamer

41 minutes ago, ssd21345 said:

does it work with new stock experiments? I think in between 1.4 and now some new experiments are added, I think. Or maybe I'm wrong

It works with all the regular experiments.  It does not work with the experiments added in the DLC, those require actions.  This also does not with with experiments which can not be done multiple times

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Excellent mod that makes science much less tedious, though I did find a few issues.

First, it seems to use the EVA experiments kit at every opportunity, including when it does not exist (or has even been researched).

Also, it automatically dumps duplicate experiments even when there are plenty of science containers to hold them all. Even the option to just leave them if they don't fit would be nice (turning FS off works, but it just turns back on when you switch vessels and then all is dumped again).

If these things could be fixed/adjusted this mod would be perfect! Any chance of that happening, or are you only maintaining it @linuxgurugamer?

28 minutes ago, Admiral Naismith said:

Excellent mod that makes science much less tedious, though I did find a few issues.

First, it seems to use the EVA experiments kit at every opportunity, including when it does not exist (or has even been researched).

Also, it automatically dumps duplicate experiments even when there are plenty of science containers to hold them all. Even the option to just leave them if they don't fit would be nice (turning FS off works, but it just turns back on when you switch vessels and then all is dumped again).

If these things could be fixed/adjusted this mod would be perfect! Any chance of that happening, or are you only maintaining it @linuxgurugamer?

Right now it's just maintenance, I'm busy with some other mods, but I'll keep it in mind.

Of course, PRs are always welcome

• 1 month later...

@linuxgurugamerWonder if you're interested in automatedScienceSampler, it was originally a continuation of forscience with setting menu and can run dmagic experiment. It works in 1.12.3 but there is a old bug that toolbar icon's tooltip seems get stuck sometimes.

Unfortunately, it is "all right reserved" license so you might need to spend time to ask the dev (the dev seems visit the forum quite frequently though)

Edited by ssd21345

• 10 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...