Kerbal Space Program 2: Episode 5 - Interstellar Travel

You're welcome! (Orbital Assembly Building re-confirmed, can't get any new info from links)

John Delvalle (Squad) and Daniel Sawitzki (Hangar 13, internal 2K development studio behind Mafia III) I believe are devs - many thanks for your work!

ksp-conversation.png

Edited by Vl3d

OH MY HOTDOGS; THEY'RE ADDING THE KRAKEN IN!

You better get your autostruts ready!

Just now, siklidkid said:

OH MY HOTDOGS; THEY'RE ADDING THE KRAKEN IN!

You better get your autostruts ready!

WAIT NO THERE MURDERING HIM!!! :sob:

Nice "Fly Safe" flag at 1:10

One thing I noticed right here at 13:20:

vctqI2j.png

This spaceship is flying near a very bright object, which looks redder on the left and bluer on the right. I can think of three possible reasons why it has the different colors:

-It is a funky lens flare that has an aberration effect on it

-It is a binary star

-It is a black hole

8 minutes ago, cubinator said:

-It is a funky lens flare that has an aberration effect on it

I don't think that's how lens flares work, at least not exactly.

8 minutes ago, cubinator said:

-It is a binary star

Most definitely. Binary stars aren't uncommon.

9 minutes ago, cubinator said:

-It is a black hole

This is only the exact same as a binary star.

Good video as usual. :) I'm surprised no one is mentioning the little comments about Nate repeating what was said the whole time KSP2 has been development. The people at Intercept do care about KSP. (Not anything new there, just find it nuts that they had reiterate that.)

I also love how in the very beginning they basically say, no, you're not building your interstellar ship in a VAB. It must be designed and built in orbit.

Nice discussion about interstellar distances. I'm going to guess it could take decades game time to reach another star. 

I'm surprised that nothing was mentioned about power generation in the vast spaces between stars. Since solar panels can't absorb light in these distances I imagine nuclear generators would supply power.

8 minutes ago, FaceRiver said:

I'm surprised that nothing was mentioned about power generation in the vast spaces between stars. Since solar panels can't absorb light in these distances I imagine nuclear generators would supply power.

By showing procedural radiators due to "heat needs" and futuristic engines, it's kind of implied that yeah, we are gonna have nuclear reactos in space, heck, since they're going scifi we might even have fusion.

1 minute ago, Sesshaku said:
10 minutes ago, FaceRiver said:

By showing procedural radiators due to "heat needs" and futuristic engines, it's kind of implied that yeah, we are gonna have nuclear reactos in space, heck, since they're going scifi we might even have fusion.

We're not going sci-fi, and I wouldn't say fusion is necessarily sci-fi.

15 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

36g8dk4ejbs81.png

Seems to be the last message judging by the 010101.. at the end.

So it seems like it's just the kraken blowing up a rocket. And there's that line in the lower left made of 5 pixels. I really don't know, it's too simple. 49*23.. 7*7*23

Edited by Vl3d

Just now, Bej Kerman said:

We're not going sci-fi, and I wouldn't say fusion is necessarily sci-fi.

Technically since we have not demonstrated stable fusion power or a metallic hydrogen engine yet, this does count as sci-fi, albeit “realistic” sci-fi. 

Also, did anyone see the flight stick thingy being used? Is this game going to natively support specialized peripherals?

2 hours ago, The Aziz said:

Doubt it, but what's almost certain is that the next video will be the last, with Mun landing. And that's probably when we hear about release.

Almost certain based on what pattern? I'd like to see it the same way as you do, but the next one being about a Mun landing needs some pretty conclusive evidence to be "almost certain".

1 hour ago, Bej Kerman said:

Does seeing the Daedalus engine working in-game not count as information?

Pre-alpha footage. There was pre-alpha footage of the Daedalus engine before. Mind you, none with a plume, but a plume isn't much. They've demonstrated shock diamonds on the Panther jet engine.

2 minutes ago, intelliCom said:
2 hours ago, The Aziz said:

Doubt it, but what's almost certain is that the next video will be the last, with Mun landing. And that's probably when we hear about release.

Almost certain based on what pattern? I'd like to see it the same way as you do, but the next one being about a Mun landing needs some pretty conclusive evidence to be "almost certain".

Aziz is just making stuff up now :)

1 hour ago, Benzo Kerman said:

Also: that music sounds great- maybe a bit Outer Wilds-esk

I'd say it sounded more like it came from Minecraft, or something similar to C418's style. I'm still sad Andrew Prahlow is being neglected in the wider gaming industry.

Just a thought/suggestion:

Since going from interplanetary to interstellar distances will be a significant jump in difficulty for the player, it could be a good idea to give the Kerbolar system a distant binary, like Proxima Centauri. That way, there can be an intermediate step in interstellar exploration, and it would be interesting to use as a proving ground for any interstellar technologies later down the tech tree.

Thoughts?

Edited by Tilicious
typo

11 minutes ago, intelliCom said:

You put the videos from the end of the feature videos together: they show a Mun landing mission from liftoff to landing (next one).