Kerbal Space Program 2: Episode 5 - Interstellar Travel

On 4/9/2022 at 1:56 AM, Bej Kerman said:

We're not going sci-fi, and I wouldn't say fusion is necessarily sci-fi.

Hard science fiction. Not "star wars" or "star trek" sci fi, but more like "The Martian" sci fi.

The kind of sci-fi that's actually good. It's still sci-fi, since it doesnt exist in reality. That's all that science fiction is supposed to mean.

Hell, I'd argue most stuff that's called "sci fi" should be "science fantasy" instead, since it's proven to be scientifically impossible.
USS Enterprise ain't sci-fi, they just assume that all gravity works in one direction. No mag-boots, no centrifugal rings, just good 'ol inspiration from naval ships.

edit: To clarify, "Hard Science Fiction" is a sub-genre of science fiction that is concerned with keeping everything as close to scientific reality as possible, or at least in the realm of uncontested theory. This can include fusion engines, which have lots of maths to back them up, but none of the technology or funding necessary to bring them to reality.

Edited by intelliCom
clarification

1 hour ago, cubinator said:

Nice "Fly Safe" flag at 1:10

One thing I noticed right here at 13:20:

vctqI2j.png

-It is a binary star

THAT'S DEBDEB! If my theories are correct. Well, I'm theorizing DebDeb has Two debs in it because it has two suns. Deb one, and deb two. I might not be correct but i'm really thinking i am.

3 minutes ago, siklidkid said:

THAT'S DEBDEB! If my theories are correct. Well, I'm theorizing DebDeb has Two debs in it because it has two suns. Deb one, and deb two. I might not be correct but i'm really thinking i am.

Its a good guess, naming twin stars DedDeb sounds very Kerbal and with ringed gas giants and SuperKerbins in this system its looking  like a promising destination and I would guess that this is going to be Kerbol's closet  stellar neighbor with how much we've been shown this. 

47 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

36g8dk4ejbs81.png

Seems to be the last message judging by the 010101.. at the end.

Random thought for a possible story, could Kerbals have come into contact with a civilization of Krakens (not big and ugly ones)? The Krakens sent their own Arecibo message that the Kerbals intercepted. That could also be why they advanced their technology so fast. Something along the lines of Contact by Carl Sagan. A few of my Kerbals are a hundred years old, and nothing new has been created ( ;) ).

22 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

You put the videos from the end of the feature videos together: they show a Mun landing mission from liftoff to landing (next one). 

Oh that's what's being referred to. Oh yeah, except there's still the whole sequence of getting back home and splashing down.

Either the last video is of the mun landing, or the mun landing's only halfway.

3 minutes ago, Linky said:

Random thought for a possible story, could Kerbals have come into contact with a civilization of Krakens (not big and ugly ones)? The Krakens sent their own Arecibo message that the Kerbals intercepted. That could also be why they advanced their technology so fast. Something along the lines of Contact by Carl Sagan. A few of my Kerbals are a hundred years old, and nothing new has been created ( ;) ).

This is the most sensible theory for the message. World building, Like why are the kerbals so keen on going interstellar?

5 minutes ago, snkiz said:

This is the most sensible theory for the message. World building, Like why are the kerbals so keen on going interstellar?

KSP 1's original lore made it clear the monoliths are the origin of the Kerbals.

14 minutes ago, intelliCom said:

Either the last video is of the mun landing, or the mun landing's only halfway.

Could be the mission to rescue the 2 kerbals stranded in the trailer.

Who said anything about origins. He was talking about the sudden explosion (pardon the pun.) of technology on kerbin with the release of KSP2. I was thinking more about the enthusiasm for interstellar. From a story view, where is it coming from? what direction are they going?

The monoliths are a testament to the failed story that never really played out in KSP 1. This could be an effort to right that issue as well. It's a sandbox, so it not like they need to do a lot, but some official lore would be nice.

3 minutes ago, snkiz said:

Who said anything about origins. He was talking about the sudden explosion (pardon the pun.) of technology on kerbin with the release of KSP2. I was thinking more about the enthusiasm for interstellar. From a story view, where is it coming from? what direction are they going?

I'm glad I left out the origin of species. I was going to go into it like Andy Weir's book "Project Hail Mary". That is something I did think about though. After the broken story that was KSP 1, they (hopefully) will have more.

3 hours ago, Wubslin said:

seem to show you guys are modeling relative stellar motion about the galactic core???

I think they'd have to, given the expected time space and distance -- which is super cool that they're talking about this, because up until now... I'd never even thought about this in all my SciFi reading and daydreaming about other worlds.

3 hours ago, Thundy said:

You absolutely should not worry. All of that footage could easily have been recorded months if not years ago.
In game development, you typically never see the most updated version for months.

The Pre-Alpha means nothing either, it just means everything is subject to change.

Not exactly sure how Alpha is defined, it could be the first workable version, as in the game world is loading, this is common for crowd funded games, KSP 1 was in alpha for years. Or it could be something much closer to Beta. 

Now here this could simply be legalize marketing, avoiding backlash is some features has to be cut. 
Elder scroll 4 Oblivion got lot of critic because they had an drawing of an character on a horse with an drawn sword. This== mounted combat is in the game. 
Also dynamic shadows in a promo video. 

5 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

Not exactly sure how Alpha is defined, it could be the first workable version, as in the game world is loading, this is common for crowd funded games, KSP 1 was in alpha for years. Or it could be something much closer to Beta.

Something I haven't seen pointed out often here, if at all, is that game development is extremely hectic and fluid; features can be in one day and out the other. To avoid giving the audience false expectations, it makes total sense that they'd want to only show stuff that's well-established and months or years old, rather than showing something that could potentially just cease to exist at some point between now and launch

1 hour ago, Vl3d said:

So it seems like it's just the kraken blowing up a rocket. And there's that line in the lower left made of 5 pixels. I really don't know, it's too simple. 49*23.. 7*7*23

Yeah - I interpret the main image as you do; we built a rocket, the Kraken broke our rocket.

I'm too uninformed to guess as to the line in the lower left - but it does stand out.  I don't like, however your ' 7*7*23 '  - that looks too much like a release date in a year too far (also not FY23)... so... what if you have to subtract '1' from each number: 6/6/22?

I mean, June 6 is National Churro Day, and Squad came out of Mexico... so it just makes sense!

National Churro Day | Holiday | Checkiday.com

Edited by JoeSchmuckatelli

3 hours ago, The Aziz said:

Doubt it, but what's almost certain is that the next video will be the last, with Mun landing. And that's probably when we hear about release.

release day is approaching

da hype is building