Kerbal Space Program 2: Episode 5 - Interstellar Travel

If we assume that the game is finished or at least the advertisement campaign starts when the craft in the end of the video lands on the mun, we can assume that there is one or two more videos at most before we get a release date. At the pace it’s going right now, it may be 3 months at most before we get some serious hype fuel on a regular schedule.

Edited by Awfulwaffle

1 hour ago, Tilicious said:

Just a thought/suggestion:

Since going from interplanetary to interstellar distances will be a significant jump in difficulty for the player, it could be a good idea to give the Kerbolar system a distant binary, like Proxima Centauri. That way, there can be an intermediate step in interstellar exploration, and it would be interesting to use as a proving ground for any interstellar technologies later down the tech tree.

Thoughts?

Yes also we had stars passing less than a light year of earth before. 
Now I assumed the stars in KSP 2 would be static. Yes they move, the night sky was pretty different for the Neanderthals, but not so much in a century. 
However at this ranges and decade long flights you will need very high accuracy.
Now in real world we solve this with computers.

I have to wonder, will a lightyear be scaled down to a Kerbal time frame instead of using a Earth time frame. Kerbal days and years are much shorter than they are for Earth.

5 minutes ago, shdwlrd said:

I have to wonder, will a lightyear be scaled down to a Kerbal time frame instead of using a Earth time frame. Kerbal days and years are much shorter than they are for Earth.

But hours are still the same. The kerbol system is 1/10 the scale of ours, yet gravity is still 9.8 m/s on Kerbin. Kerbol planets are incredibly dense. Kerbin days are shorter because it spins faster. Years are still 365  days, they just 6 hour days. They won't scale the physics, just the parameters given to the physics. Given that I'd imagine the distances will be kerbal scale. But It also doesn't mean anything at that scale. The solution as stated will be long duration time warp, including warping burns. I think because of mulitplayer, it will have to warp dead time to ensure everyone is insync when interacting. Time warp is going to have a whole new mecanic due to MP. You won't be able to just warp whenever you want, like speeding up a 2 m/s approach. That's going to make somethings more tedious and why I don't think it will be MMO.

20 minutes ago, snkiz said:

But hours are still the same

Yes, but the Kerbin day is 6hrs. So 4 Kerbin days equals 1 Earth day. One Kerbin year (426 dys)  is  equal to ~106.5 Earth days. ~3.43 Kerbin years is equal to 1 Earth year. You see where I'm getting at? A lightyear in KSP would be a much shorter distance than in RL. So the question remains, are the devs going to shorten the lightyear distance to match to the time scales according to the Kerbals.

Just now, shdwlrd said:

Yes, but the Kerbin day is 6hrs. So 4 Kerbin days equals 1 Earth day. One Kerbin year (426 dys)  is  equal to ~106.5 Earth days. ~3.43 Kerbin years is equal to 1 Earth year. You see where I'm getting at? A lightyear in KSP would be a much shorter distance than in RL. So the question remains, are the devs going to shorten the lightyear distance to match to the time scales according to the Kerbals.

No light year is a constant. you can't screw with that. And despite the differences in lengths of days and years, a second is still a second. So A light year is still the same length. These are constants. The scale of the galaxy is what has to change. But like I said at that distance it's like the difference between a billion and a trillion to a poor person, irrelevant. What's going to happen is an intelligent timewarp to handle it, and MP. I'd expect you'll only really be real-time while in an soi and flying.

2 minutes ago, snkiz said:

No light year is a constant. you can't screw with that.

No, that's wrong. The speed of light, seconds, hours, and meters are constants between the KSP and Earth. Days and years vary between KSP and Earth. A year for Kerbin is 9.2 million seconds, a year for Earth is 31.6 million seconds. So for a Kerbals perspective, a lightyear is shorter than what a human would expect.

23 minutes ago, shdwlrd said:

No, that's wrong. The speed of light, seconds, hours, and meters are constants between the KSP and Earth. Days and years vary between KSP and Earth. A year for Kerbin is 9.2 million seconds, a year for Earth is 31.6 million seconds. So for a Kerbals perspective, a lightyear is shorter than what a human would expect.

Oh ,your saying it would be linked to kerbin's year? Sure, I guess it would be. It still doesn't matter. The galaxy has to scale still, and large distances in space aren't measured in light years except in the media. The scientists use parsecs. Those won't change. I think they will be smart about making that distinction considering the emphasis realism, teaching, and capturing the scale of it all, even for Kerbin. Can't have people coming away thinking a light year is 1/4 what it is IRL.

Edit. What I mean is Meters, seconds, the speed of light are all constants, and SI units. A light year is not, clearly. So they will use parsecs, an SI unit to measure distances.

Edited by snkiz
Clairity.

4 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

Map view. Maybe. What are those streaks? Is this a protoplanetary disk?

Looks like either a protoplanetary disk or a planet and moon both with rings. The devs have mentioned that the young star system they've been telling us about would have lots of planets with rings.

2 minutes ago, Minmus Taster said:

Are...these ALL stars you can visit?

wU07RZQ.png

It's beautiful :,)

The line from the video - 'a single pixel, but its a star you can visit' (or however it was said) certainly gave me that idea of freedom to do such... but logically, I don't think so.  They've been pretty open about having built two systems for exploration; the one we are used to and the new one that's reachable end-game.  Anything more would be likely hideously difficult to do.  I'm guessing we only get to go to the nearest.

1 minute ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

The line from the video - 'a single pixel, but its a star you can visit' (or however it was said) certainly gave me that idea of freedom to do such... but logically, I don't think so.  They've been pretty open about having built two systems for exploration; the one we are used to and the new one that's reachable end-game.  Anything more would be likely hideously difficult to do.  I'm guessing we only get to go to the nearest.

The devs have stated that there will be up to at least 4 star systems at one point. It’s definitely not only going to be kerbol and Dubdub.

17 minutes ago, Minmus Taster said:

wU07RZQ.png

I doubt it, but if that is the case. Yeah, Nate is right, this game is will be literally mind boggling huge. 

36 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Strange thought:  what if the information about what stars that players have set a course to is available to planet mod developers so that by the time the player arrives there may be a planet pack for it.  For example, planet pack devs could see that 2000+ players are headed for start A and hammer out a planet pack.  Woe to the lone player heading to star foobar, lol.  Alternatively, the stock stars can be sorted by distance so planet pack devs could go from nearest to farthest, perhaps skipping ones that have stock planets if they want to dovetail with stock.

If such a thing were in place, players could "vote" on a star getting a planet pack simply by burning to intercept it.   Of course if the player warps too fast the pack may not be done when they arrive.  They could select any available planet pack any time en route interstellar.

I imagine the reality will be that star type aside, planet packs could be applied to most any star by the player.

Maybe even stock could bless planet packs for a given star into stock if they become cannon by way of the number of players using that pack for that star.  Or put another way, if a player is heading to a star that has no stock planetary system, and the player hasn't set a planet pack for it, the most popular pack for that star would be presented as an option for the player.  The same logic could be applied to space telescope detection of planets around a star from the Kerbol system.  When they point the scope, if no stock planets are defined and no planet pack has been selected, then science from the scope for that star would reflect the most popular planet pack for that star.

I should probably edit this to make it shorter.  But I'm getting a pinky cramp from typg

Edited by darthgently

2 hours ago, whatsEJstandfor said:

I didn't see a prediction come from the pitch drop; what about it suggested a date?

13 minutes ago, darthgently said:

I should probably edit this to make it shorter. 

Let me help you: mods could add planet packs directly to the game universe.

1 hour ago, Minmus Taster said:

wU07RZQ.png

Its likely that not every star in the skybox is a physical destination but I think we will see new star systems added to the game overtime.

@KSPStar I am curious, if the player can get from the Kerbol system to another star system then what kind of bit (64bit = Double Precision) calculations are we talking about?

Or is it going to fudge the numbers to some degree?

7 hours ago, Vl3d said:

Well I do have to say there is not a lot of new information in this video. KSP2 is still classified.

Well, yes, except this one teaser video...

https://youtu.be/36C-pTZm4wE?t=38

It's at T=+0:39, where they talk about colonies and include a scene where Tom Vinita is being interviewed about it. AFAIK this clip hasn't been used in any of the feature videos so far.

I also wouldn't be surprised if they also talk about the multiplayer experience as mentioned in this interview at T=+8:50:

https://youtu.be/6RHbvphmnyE?t=530

I think there are also some passing references in the Podcast of All Answers™ here: http://forum.purdueseds.space/pspodcast/episode2/

but I really can't go back and find it at the moment...

Please let me know if I missed anything!