Kerbal Space Program 2: Episode 5 - Interstellar Travel

15 minutes ago, Anth12 said:

@KSPStar I am curious, if the player can get from the Kerbol system to another star system then what kind of bit (64bit = Double Precision) calculations are we talking about?

Or is it going to fudge the numbers to some degree?

There was a dev diary about this a while back!

Basically, it sounds like they're going to break space up into chunks to add more precision to their coordinate systems.

Edited by TheOrbitalMechanic
accidentally uploaded the post twice and they stuck together

3 hours ago, snkiz said:

Oh ,your saying it would be linked to kerbin's year? Sure, I guess it would be. It still doesn't matter. The galaxy has to scale still, and large distances in space aren't measured in light years except in the media. The scientists use parsecs. Those won't change. I think they will be smart about making that distinction considering the emphasis realism, teaching, and capturing the scale of it all, even for Kerbin. Can't have people coming away thinking a light year is 1/4 what it is IRL.

Edit. What I mean is Meters, seconds, the speed of light are all constants, and SI units. A light year is not, clearly. So they will use parsecs, an SI unit to measure distances.

A Parsec is still based on the earths orbit. It is from the parallax of one arc second with a baseline of 1 astronomical unit.
Stellarparallax parsec1.svg
It not a SI unit. The SI unit for distance is a metre. For a parsec this is 3.0857×10^16 m.

Edited by Lach_01298

1 hour ago, TheOrbitalMechanic said:

There was a dev diary about this a while back!

Basically, it sounds like they're going to break space up into chunks to add more precision to their coordinate systems.

Nice. Thanks. I forgot about this. Consider this answered. Thanks @TheOrbitalMechanic

4 hours ago, Vl3d said:

Let me help you: mods could add planet packs directly to the game universe.

No, you missed the entire point.  That mod devs could get info from player's games about what stars they were burning toward so they would know what stars to develop planet packs for and telescope science about other stars could return real "data" about possible planets around the star the scope is aimed at by the most popular planet pack for that star.  And that popular mappings of planet packs to stars could possibly be rolled into stock.  Did you do that on purpose?  Thanks for trying though as my pinky was too cramped up to so summarize.  It is much better now, thanks for asking

7 hours ago, whatsEJstandfor said:

I didn't see a prediction come from the pitch drop; what about it suggested a date?

My pitch drop prediction has it coming out late March or early April 2023 as that would be 8 years after KSP1 dropped out of beta and the pitch drop takes about that long to drop on average.  And it would fit the FY2022 just barely.  I hope that is wrong

5 hours ago, darthgently said:

mod devs could get info from player's games about what stars they were burning toward

You build the mission and burn towards the star after you survey it from a distance, so you know if it's worth it, because it's a one way trip. What if there are no resources there?

Besides, you time warp while traveling, there is no real waiting to get to the star.

So your system of adding planet packs while players are on the journey has a causality problem.

But, what if there was a hybrid curation + voting system that would allow modders to directly add planet pack to the game universe? So you can explore them with telescopes and download them in-game when planning a journey.

It's similar to your idea.

2 hours ago, Vl3d said:

Besides, you time warp while traveling, there is no real waiting to get to the star.

That is not what I got from the video.  Of course you can not warp.  You can run other missions for years while your interstellar is traveling.  Warping may be desirable, but not necessary.

2 hours ago, Vl3d said:

But, what if there was a hybrid curation + voting system that would allow modders to directly add planet pack to the game universe? So you can explore them with telescopes and download them in-game when planning a journey.

Yeah, very similar.  Basically the same idea from a slightly different angle, lol.  But thanks for the credit

All fun ideas but Id much rather a few to half a dozen thoughtfully designed systems than hundreds or thousands of half-baked systems. It will probably be more like our local neighborhood. You’ll be be able to go to a few of those specks but no one said you could go to all of them. 

18 hours ago, Awfulwaffle said:

The devs have stated that there will be up to at least 4 star systems at one point. It’s definitely not only going to be kerbol and Dubdub.

I'm inclined to believe there will definitely be more than 2 star systems. That said can you reference where you get your claim as I don't recall the devs ever stating anything like that.

3 hours ago, Wincil said:

Ksp2 would be way bigger then Ksp1 from what I heard from the video.

We gathered that already.

12 hours ago, darthgently said:
20 hours ago, whatsEJstandfor said:

I didn't see a prediction come from the pitch drop; what about it suggested a date?

My pitch drop prediction has it coming out late March or early April 2023 as that would be 8 years after KSP1 dropped out of beta and the pitch drop takes about that long to drop on average.  And it would fit the FY2022 just barely.  I hope that is wrong

As long as KSP 2 gets as much polish as possible, I don't really care how long it'll take to come out.

1 minute ago, PlutoISaPlanet said:

A LONG time ago, I proposed telescopes could be used to discover/gain information about other systems. This video makes me think the feature will be in the game, because a star/stars "pixel" is an actual place you can travel to.

Dude, I wish. But I don't know if they'll be there. If they were you'd think we'd have gotten a piece of evidence by now. Still with you that it would be insanely cool though and add a LOT to the game

2 minutes ago, PlutoISaPlanet said:

A LONG time ago, I proposed telescopes could be used to discover/gain information about other systems. This video makes me think the feature will be in the game, because a star/stars "pixel" is an actual place you can travel to.

There will only be a few stars in KSP 2. Not all the stars in the skybox will be real places, unless the devs decide tomorrow they'd like to spend another 150 years developing each individual star on the skybox.

34 minutes ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

we need to see a deorbit burn first

It's not in orbit, it's direct intercept.

21 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

There will only be a few stars in KSP 2. Not all the stars in the skybox will be real places, unless the devs decide tomorrow they'd like to spend another 150 years developing each individual star on the skybox.

4 hours ago, darthgently said:
7 hours ago, Vl3d said:

Yeah, very similar.  Basically the same idea from a slightly different angle, lol.  But thanks for the credit

4 minutes ago, Vl3d said:
39 minutes ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

we need to see a deorbit burn first

It's not in orbit, it's direct intercept.

It's on a suborbital trajectory. It isn't intercepting anything.

4 minutes ago, Vl3d said:
7 hours ago, Vl3d said:

I don't think giving singleplayer online content would be necessary when the kind of modding we've got right now works fine.

39 minutes ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

Dude, I wish. But I don't know if they'll be there. If they were you'd think we'd have gotten a piece of evidence by now. Still with you that it would be insanely cool though and add a LOT to the game

Confirmed a looooong time ago.

17 minutes ago, Vl3d said:
  4 hours ago, darthgently said:
7 hours ago, Vl3d said:

Expand  

My post stated a range of ideas.  Your idea isn't similar to what I posted, it is a small subset of what I actually posted.   Ah, the joys of the internet

18 hours ago, darthgently said:

Strange thought:  what if the information about what stars that players have set a course to is available to planet mod developers so that by the time the player arrives there may be a planet pack for it.

Online features in single player? No thanks