Kerbal Space Program 2: Episode 5 - Interstellar Travel

7 hours ago, Vl3d said:

If it's in orbit it would have to position itself exactly right for the incoming ship. It would be incredibly long. If you can make one in reverse, that means you can make a regular one to launch the ship.

I'm not against particle accelerators, they are just impractically long if they are liniar or need huge confinement fields if they are curved.

Agreed, I don't see this concept working at all for interstellar.  Maybe for interplanetary (I think Isaac Arthur might have a vid speculating about that)

21 hours ago, The Aziz said:

don't know about space telescopes, but

I think HullCam mod has some nice space telescopes and it would be cool if they had science part modules that allowed detecting exo-planets by fairly realistic means (periodic occlusion of star etc).  But I could also see stock space telescopes of that power only being available after certain mid/late game criteria are met, or you simply don't know which start to point at until the mid/late game

32 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

They said multiple. So at least two, at most ∞-1. Realistically though, I say below 10, probably with more to come at later time in update or dlc.

Hopefully more than two.  Using the word "multiple" to describe two items may be technically correct, but would be connotatively dishonest.  No one uses "multiple" in normal speech when there are only two.  The connotation is three or more in my experience.  No one with a spare something says they have "multiple" of that something, they say they have a spare, a backup, a duplicate, or two, or a pair, or a couple of, them.  I'm betting three or more because the devs are not bad lying liars who lie.  They are good people, by golly.

I also suppose it’s possible that Ovin, Puf and Lapat are all in the same system, but not likely. Im just saying even 2-3 on release with more in DLCs would make me happy.

Edited by Pthigrivi

7 minutes ago, darthgently said:

The connotation is three or more in my experience

You are correct - and as @The Aziz pointed out its something I was blind to.

Interestingly - I was under the impression that we've been shown a nearly complete game (with robust features and worlds to explore) - that the content thus far highlighted would be enough for a finished game with two explorable systems - and that doubling of KSP would be enough for KSP2 to be a worthy successor.   This impression has intensified my anxiety for a sooner than later release... 

But since reading Aziz's response to my post above - the scope of the game I now anticipate is greatly enlarged... Meaning the complexity... Meaning they may (and likely do) have a LOT more bug-fixing to do to have a finished product. 

I quipped about National Churro Day - because I'd love to play the game this summer... But maybe that is overly optimistic 

1 minute ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Interestingly - I was under the impression that we've been shown a nearly complete game (with robust features and worlds to explore) - that the content thus far highlighted would be enough for a finished game with two explorable systems - and that doubling of KSP would be enough for KSP2 to be a worthy successor.   This impression has intensified my anxiety for a sooner than later release... 

But since reading Aziz's response to my post above - the scope of the game I now anticipate is greatly enlarged... Meaning the complexity... Meaning they may (and likely do) have a LOT more bug-fixing to do to have a finished product. 

I quipped about National Churro Day - because I'd love to play the game this summer... But maybe that is overly optimistic 

I'm also kind of assuming that they are planning on planet pack mod devs to fill in a lot of gaps over time in that endless expanse of stars.  That would be asking a lot for the KSP dev team.

3 minutes ago, darthgently said:

I'm also kind of assuming that they are planning on planet pack mod devs to fill in a lot of gaps over time in that endless expanse of stars.  That would be asking a lot for the KSP dev team.

That is in line with my original assumption (once you have one working additional solar system to explore, you can scale up later with DLC). 

But having 3-5 systems at release is 'multiple'

...and with a few gas giants with relatively simple moons added to the list of terrestrial destinations shown thus far with the known planets and unknown gas giants parsed out between the 3-5 stars - that would make the game both grander and more complete than my original assumptions.  Would make it feel 'new' and distinct rather than just a modernized update of an old game. 

That level of change should play well towards getting new players or people who've never contemplated KSP (or who looked 'way back when' and moved on) to make the investment.  

The risk for KSP2 has always been that (outside of our little community that has stuck around so long) it's too niche.  Sure, we will buy it - but unless they have content that will draw new blood, the return on investment won't be favorable. 

1 hour ago, darthgently said:

Yes, true, but given the brachistochrone trajectories in KSP2 for interstellar (accelerate for a long time, coast (maybe), flip, decelerate for a long time) I'm thinking if you want to get there in less than centuries you will be decelerating long before you get near the target star's magnetic flux of any usable density.  At least if you want reasonable deceleration g forces.  For unkerbaled craft I suppose it might be possible to compress years of deceleration into a few days or something without it exploding.  If it isn't obvious, I have not done the math, nor do I intend to do so, lol

The weight of the magnets would in and of themselves make the craft so heavy that slowing down from interstellar speeds would be impossible. 

Edited by MechBFP

18 minutes ago, MechBFP said:

The weight of the magnets would in and of themselves make the craft so heavy that slowing down from interstellar speeds would be impossible. 

Not that I think the idea is viable, it isn't my idea, but I think the idea is that the craft only has a coil for generating an EM field to react with the receiving assembly generated magnetic field.  No permanent magnets are involved, just the steel of the craft, its generated magnetic field, and the generated magnetic field of the receiver.  Don't quote me on that

On 4/8/2022 at 12:56 PM, Bej Kerman said:

We're not going sci-fi, and I wouldn't say fusion is necessarily sci-fi.

I haven't met a single interstellar engine or working fusion reactor on modern day civilization. So it is scifi. May be it's not "hollywood scifi" (which is mostly "space magic") but I use the term as referring to the "old school scifi" that is, those AMAZING books written by actual physicists and engineers (or people that at least read about them) that payed close attention in making "workable" technologies yet outside of our capabilities. You know, the likes of Asimov, Stanislaw Lem, Arthur c Clarke, or the more recent Andy Weir.

Edited by Sesshaku

4 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

It would NOT surprise me if it shipped with only 2 systems, ( and I would be fine with that ). Many games show things in development that are not in release ( but develop continues after release ). If KSP is going to be a long term Dev supported game, they will need an income stream post launch, which paid DLC is the least offensive ( to me anyway ).

Not sure I agree with your quip timing ( although that would be nice ), but I would not worry that everything you see is going to expand the release timeline.

1 hour ago, DwightLee said:

I would not worry that everything you see is going to expand the release timeline

I think 'expand the release timing' isn't really an issue... It's going to be what it will be.  Rather, the sense of worry I have is the need to adjust my prognostication / anticipation time line and inure myself to a 'wait till Christmas because that's when blockbuster titles ship' time line 

1 hour ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

I think 'expand the release timing' isn't really an issue... It's going to be what it will be.  Rather, the sense of worry I have is the need to adjust my prognostication / anticipation time line and inure myself to a 'wait till Christmas because that's when blockbuster titles ship' time line 

Yeah, I am hoping by the end of this year, but would not freak out if it was longer. 

On the main topic... I loved everything I saw in that video  ....  they have the right mindset for this game I think.

Edited by DwightLee

On 4/9/2022 at 4:03 PM, darthgently said:

It would NOT surprise me if it shipped with only 2 systems, ( and I would be fine with that ). Many games show things in development that are not in release ( but develop continues after release ). If KSP is going to be a long term Dev supported game, they will need an income stream post launch, which paid DLC is the least offensive ( to me anyway ).

Not sure I agree with your quip timing ( although that would be nice ), but I would not worry that everything you see is going to expand the release timeline.

Eh about that I wouldn't be fine with only 2 systems if I were to play the game tbh.

Edited by Wincil

Even though I wouldn’t mind having only two star systems on launch, with the number of planets that have been released already, I find it hard to believe there aren’t going to be at least 3 systems including kerbol for us to explore right off the bat. And I do hope they add more for DLCs.

18 hours ago, DwightLee said:

It would NOT surprise me if it shipped with only 2 systems, ( and I would be fine with that )

I tend to let interplanetary transfers occur in the background while I do other missions in parallel so it could be quite awhile in real time before I'm even far enough a long in the game to even need 1 other system.   If a 3rd stock system dropped in a DLC it would probably happen long before I'd even gotten to my first extra-Kerbol system.   The Stage Recovery mod is what makes running a bunch of parallel missions financially feasible for me, I should probably note.  That and getting ISRU on Minmus going asap, staging fuel from Minmus in LKO, and launching rockets that have only enough fuel to rendezvous with the fuel depot to top up.  Anyway, the point being that I could probably wait for a DLC for all the extra-Kerbol systems as my game generally has rare warping beyond a few days or so and I'll have plenty of real time for other systems to drop

3 systems would be my median guess, but I agree with Darth. I've had saves that lasted 3+ years building stations and bases all over and only got me to my first base on Laythe. Granted, KSP2 could save us a lot of time by employing supply routes so I wasn't baby sitting dozens of refueling missions, but even just exploration and module delivery takes a lot of time. I've happily occupied myself on 16 relatively empty worlds for the last 9 years. Getting a 10 or 20 more plus a lot more going on for the originals would certainly keep me happy until the first expansion. 

Edited by Pthigrivi

More systems as a expansion or an dlc? I think that would be a absolutely terrible idea ngl I think we be better off with more then 3 system's Idk if I be happy with that tbh.

Edited by Wincil

Good god no! No stars behind pay walls. what would that even look like? If I set a course for a star I haven't bought would I get a pop up for the store menu or does my craft drift endlessly past a star that isn't there. That would be much worse in multiplayer.

Edited by FaceRiver

3 minutes ago, FaceRiver said:

Good god no! No stars behind pay walls. what would that even look like? If I set a course for a star I haven't bought would I get a pop up for the store menu or does my craft drift endlessly past a star that isn't there. That would be much worse in multiplayer.

No not at all I wouldn’t mind the star DLC, KSP wouldn’t have DLC that works in the way you’re describing, the star simply wouldn’t exist if you don’t have the DLC kinda like how planet packs work in mods right now. If you don’t have it installed you won’t see it at all

4 minutes ago, FaceRiver said:

Good god no! No stars behind pay walls

I'm about certain there will be plenty of planet pack mods for those not wanting DLC planet packs.  Also, we really don't know that stock planet packs won't simply be rolled into updates and not be DLCs at all.  

That said, a lot of work goes into making good planets with lots of stuff to do and great visuals so, for me, the typical price of a KSP DLC would be about right for 6 to 10 new planets spread across a one to three stars.

13 minutes ago, FaceRiver said:

If they do not have an income stream post launch, that mean the support for the game dwindles over time to nothing.

DLC is what kept KSP alive for so long, I expect the same for KSP2, be it systems, or tech or most likely both.

51 minutes ago, FaceRiver said:

You guys wouldn't mind having dlc confliction in multiplayer or that KSP 2 will retail for twice the price as KSP 1 does and still has dlc?

I expect KSP2 will retail 'as a normal studio release' game rather than something from a small, independent studio as KSP was.  IIRC, KSP retailed in the $20 - 40 USD range.  So, $40 - 60USD not unlikely for KSP2.  Some top tier titles are reaching the $70s, so that kind of sets the upper bound of expectations.

DLC packs become options for people who really like the game, and keep good content coming - which extends the life & fun of the game.  The two I know of cost, what? $15?  Not a bad thing.  Not onerous... and they did add content which made the game more interesting.

What I anticipate (from reading other's expectations) is that KSP2 DLC might offer 'planetary system' packs - which is an order of magnitude improvement over just new parts and science opportunities.  They'd likely also include parts and science given our history with the current game; but I also expect the vanilla version of KSP2 to be fairly feature-rich at this point

(Also - Multiplayer doesn't really bother me... yes, DLC conflict could occur in a 'down the road' sense; but there are mitigation strategies if multiplayer proves to be a core feature of KSP2 and player's experiences)

Edited by JoeSchmuckatelli