Kerbal Space Program 2: Episode 5 - Interstellar Travel

1 hour ago, FaceRiver said:

ou guys wouldn't mind having dlc confliction in multiplayer or that KSP 2 will retail for twice the price as KSP 1 does and still has dlc?

I don't mind a people getting paid for their work.  No, I don't.

Price of NFL ticket for one game:  $80 to $153

Price for attending a single major NASCAR race:  $100+

Approximate Price to fly NY to LA: $100+

I think KSP prices are set within rational costs+margin bounds.

Edited by darthgently

I spent like $20 on KSP around V 0.18, then $15 each on the DLCs, and then maybe $100 over time in donations to modders. So thats like $150 over most of a decade and 5-6 thousand hours of play time. I don't think anything I've ever bought has held that kind of value. 

Edited by Pthigrivi

2 hours ago, FaceRiver said:

You guys wouldn't mind having dlc confliction in multiplayer or that KSP 2 will retail for twice the price as KSP 1 does and still has dlc?

Multiplayer for me is a side aspect of the game, not primary. However anyone in my community still playing KSP when paid DLC comes out will undoubtedly purchase it anyway. If you are playing the game that long, then you like it enough to add to it. 

19 minutes ago, Pthigrivi said:

I spent like $20 on KSP around V 0.18, then $15 each on the DLCs, and then maybe $100 over time in donations to modders. So thats like $150 over most of a decade and 5-6 thousand hours of play time. I don't think anything I've ever bought has held that kid of value. 

Same here... easy and no regrets. I have certainly had that much enjoyment out of the game. 

Great video, really nice to see the crew who are working on this. Hi guys, thanks for all you are doing!

I would certainly buy a lifetime pass for anything they had plans for, up front and would not have a problem with parts and functionality expansions like we had for KSP1 and even extra star systems as I will just buy it all np. I bought KSP for about $15 at around version 9 but I bought it several times over after that just for the fun of throwing money at Squad and HarvesteR (bought Balsa too ofc).  

I think multiplayer will just have to be version compatible like most coop games, I dont think this is going to be like MMOs, more kind of small  groups of friends as they will need to sync timewarp with some kind of democratic vote-when-ready system which is never going to happen if you have more than half a dozen players.

1 hour ago, boolybooly said:

Great video, really nice to see the crew who are working on this. Hi guys, thanks for all you are doing!

I would certainly buy a lifetime pass for anything they had plans for, up front and would not have a problem with parts and functionality expansions like we had for KSP1 and even extra star systems as I will just buy it all np. I bought KSP for about $15 at around version 9 but I bought it several times over after that just for the fun of throwing money at Squad and HarvesteR (bought Balsa too ofc).  

I think multiplayer will just have to be version compatible like most coop games, I dont think this is going to be like MMOs, more kind of small  groups of friends as they will need to sync timewarp with some kind of democratic vote-when-ready system which is never going to happen if you have more than half a dozen players.

I agree, and I dont see multiplayer as being the main thrust of the game, for me or anyone really, more of an interesting side oddity you can do.

On 4/9/2022 at 9:49 PM, Pthigrivi said:

I feel like Id want a savings of 3000 km/s to be really worth it and I don’t think Im getting that from any gravity assist. Escape velocity is only 13 km/s. And I guess Oberth doesn’t even matter because the burns are so long? 

Low "burns" above a star can increase hyperbolic excess velocity by a lot, much more than 3km/s 

So the question is how close can you get, and how much acceleration do you have?

An Orion drive can give you a high acceleration, but it won't have a lot of radiators 

A fusion drive may have tons of radiators that let you get close to the sun (if solar irradiance is a small proportion of the total heat it needs to handle), but it may not have the acceleration.

An end game torchsip drive like a matter-antimatter drive / "Epstein drive" like from the Expanse could probably handle the heat and achieve meaningful acceleration.

Could be a way to save precious antimatter.

Another thing I haven’t seen anyone comment on is that we have what looks like the remnants of a protoplanetary disc in the Debdeb system. Has anyone speculated whether these or the rings around planets might be navigation hazards in any way? There also looks to be some kind of halo of particles surrounding Gurdamma… asteroids maybe?

https://www.quora.com/What-would-happen-to-a-spaceship-if-it-went-through-Saturns-rings-Would-it-get-destroyed-Are-there-parts-of-the-rings-from-which-it-would-be-safe-to-pass

Edited by Pthigrivi

2 hours ago, Pthigrivi said:

Has anyone speculated whether these or the rings around planets might be navigation hazards in any way?

Nate said in an older interview something along the lines of ~ rings make for some interesting navigation / orbits.

The system is probably not fully evolved yet. What we see there is most likely indeed Gurdamma with its rings and Donk in the middle, some object in the distance, probably a second moon. All of this in what looks like a cloud of particles, possibly remnants of planet creation. Or maybe it's just a way to project SOI for the player. Further in the distance, more rings, from which some planets could form in distant future, and two more object closer to the star (that looks like red dwarf!), one of them is for sure Charr, which is indeed very close to the star, the second is unknown.

1 hour ago, The Aziz said:

All of this in what looks like a cloud of particles, possibly remnants of planet creation. Or maybe it's just a way to project SOI for the player

A perfect sphere, evidently the SOI.

A cloud of particles will accrete into a disk, then into a moon. It won't miraculously form a sphere.

7 hours ago, The Aziz said:

They're supposed to be collidable. If that so, navigation through DebDeb system should be quite interesting.

Sounds like an intentional feature - exactly for that reason.

Thing is; I wonder how they'll implement it.  Making the rings full of actual objects might be prohibitive from a polygon perspective.  

If implemented - would be a neat Dev Diary about how they did it

36 minutes ago, PlutoISaPlanet said:

I believe that is the sphere of influence. Notice how Gurdamma, Donk, and Gop (the new moon) all have it.

I thought that too when I first looked.  Still inclined that way; but when I went back to look, I see definitive rings around the planet (with a gap for the moon), then as the scene pulls back, what I interpret as SOI rings pop up; the moon gets one separate from the planet and later another SOI ring pops up a considerable distance from the planet/moon system.  The only problem (I see) is that the rendered color of the SOI rings was the same as the planetary rings - which could be confusing.  So is that a second moon of the planet or a different planet?

Also interesting: at about 0:35, after the later SOI ring appears, there's a 'sphere-like' region as the user continues to pan out.  IDK if that indicates the boundary of the planetary SOI (thus indicating the later SOI ring is a moon of the planet) or if it might be something like an asteroid belt or dust cloud remnant. 

But then as the image continues to pan out - you get multiple disk-rings.  And that is interesting; because three new SOI rings appear within those rings (along with a central SOI) ring around a red/orange object.  So is that the star in an pretty tremendous proto-planetary disk?  I think that to be the likeliest interpretation.  Which would make the sphere-like image I mentioned how they visually define the boundary of the planetary SOI - although whether players see that vs it is rendered in the developer build, only time will tell).

SO.

Freaking.

COOL!

Edit: man I am slow this morning: you guys already agreed on what I blathered about!

Edited by JoeSchmuckatelli

36 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Sounds like an intentional feature - exactly for that reason.

Thing is; I wonder how they'll implement it.  Making the rings full of actual objects might be prohibitive from a polygon perspective.  

If implemented - would be a neat Dev Diary about how they did it

Easy enough, meshes could be rendered only at certain distance from active ship https://youtu.be/xiIea1xWEgY?t=45

Which is what made me think the halo we're seeing might be the cutoff point (at or near SOI) for where these things would randomly begin spawning, and that what we're seeing is spawn density? 

And if these are hazardous in some way and create navigation puzzles (fun!) you'd really want some warning when your path was intersecting a high-density area so you didn't travel a few lightyears in a colony ship only to vaporize on arrival. Might even be nice if a ring or two was added in the Kerbolar system so we got used to the idea? Maybe a wispy one around Jool like Jupiter has? or one around Vall or Ike? 

On 4/8/2022 at 6:58 PM, Vl3d said:

So it seems like it's just the kraken blowing up a rocket. And there's that line in the lower left made of 5 pixels. I really don't know, it's too simple. 49*23.. 7*7*23

Guys, I think there's a second message in the Karecibo transmission. I think the grid is actually 3D: 7 by 7 by 23.

Can someone who plays Minecraft or has 3d graphics skills check?

51 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

Guys, I think there's a second message in the Karecibo transmission. I think the grid is actually 3D: 7 by 7 by 23.

Can someone who plays Minecraft or has 3d graphics skills check?

How could you have a coherent message like that we've seen and have it also contain another message?