Kerbal Space Program 2: Episode 5 - Interstellar Travel

On 5/25/2022 at 5:25 AM, Willeos said:

maybe good but I doubt it a little, and other thing that I notice there is no director, producer, etc... credited

Why would it need to be credited if the video and audio was produced in-house? The music very well could just have been made for the video rather than for the game soundtrack, however, I'm not seeing how it lacking director, producer, etc. credits would add doubt for you? If anything that should indicate it was done in-house and is more likely to be part of the games soundtrack.

• 3 weeks later...

I really wonder if - not having space debris - is the correct choice for the game. It takes away a huge part of the engineering challenge.

Edited by Vl3d

12 hours ago, Vl3d said:

I really wonder if - not having space debris - is the correct choice for the game. It takes away a huge part of the engineering challenge.

While i do understand and appreciate  the desire for realism, i think we also have to consider the main aspect of the game: Fun.
If it's implemented correctly, building a ship that has to account for interstellar debris can be fun.

But... i doubt it. I don't want to be punished for slamming into a 10cm rock that i couldn't spot at interstellar distance. That doesn't sound very fun.

We also don't have a really good way to deal with interstellar debris, our only options are a huge and really really THICK shield, or HUGE lasers that would certainly put a strain in the ship's power.

ALSO: Pill ships dont look nearly as cool as hard Sci-Fi esque ships

On 6/24/2022 at 5:25 AM, Davi SDF said:

While i do understand and appreciate  the desire for realism, i think we also have to consider the main aspect of the game: Fun.
If it's implemented correctly, building a ship that has to account for interstellar debris can be fun.

But... i doubt it. I don't want to be punished for slamming into a 10cm rock that i couldn't spot at interstellar distance. That doesn't sound very fun.

We also don't have a really good way to deal with interstellar debris, our only options are a huge and really really THICK shield, or HUGE lasers that would certainly put a strain in the ship's power.

ALSO: Pill ships dont look nearly as cool as hard Sci-Fi esque ships

In the video it discusses how the debris would only really need a shield of a few millimeters (at 0.2c), an average heat shield would work, since interstellar space is so sparse. The majority of the shielding would actually be actually for radiation (from cosmic rays and radiation caused by stray atoms hitting the frontal shield and deionizing ) , a mechanic that could work well with the existing radiation shielding mechanics postulated to exist in ksp2. It may likely be a difficulty setting like re-entry heating amount in ksp1.
The video notes however that the solar system irl is in an unusually sparse region (aka the local bubble) that would make interstellar travel significantly less ablative for such spacecraft. 

• 1 month later...

Watched the video a couple of times, and if those "dots" that are colored more brightly than the "background space" for the introduction with the yellow and silver spaceship, and the green planet in the background i counted at least 90~ or so brightly shining objects.. some of those can be planets but if thats not the case, and if all are those are stars, (which some was easily a binary star system) it could be a huge logical reason why they needed extra time, they kept on talking about you are this like pea size thing, but then it is a huge area, that could be the reason why, just not due to the vastness of space in the game, but due to the game just being that large.. those can easily be either placeholders for new solar systems, or IS already implemented solar systems.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/3/2022 at 8:27 AM, Stephensan said:

Watched the video a couple of times, and if those "dots" that are colored more brightly than the "background space" for the introduction with the yellow and silver spaceship, and the green planet in the background i counted at least 90~ or so brightly shining objects.. some of those can be planets but if thats not the case, and if all are those are stars, (which some was easily a binary star system) it could be a huge logical reason why they needed extra time, they kept on talking about you are this like pea size thing, but then it is a huge area, that could be the reason why, just not due to the vastness of space in the game, but due to the game just being that large.. those can easily be either placeholders for new solar systems, or IS already implemented solar systems.

I doubt that there are that many stars in the game it's probably way too much to implement in the timeframe of development, also with that many stars what are you gonna put around them? they'd probably become boring and identical with around 90 systems to fill out.

On 8/18/2022 at 1:53 PM, Minmus Taster said:

I doubt that there are that many stars in the game it's probably way too much to implement in the timeframe of development, also with that many stars what are you gonna put around them? they'd probably become boring and identical with around 90 systems to fill out.

yeah, its way more logical for them to be place holders for future updates for planets and solar systems

49 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

It's more logical to just not implement stuff until it exists.

we do not know the scale of how many solar systems they have made, could be one of many many things they haven't talked about in the game yet.. they emphasize the sheer size of how large KSP will be, and yet keep on showing out of the "background" there is specifically ones that are brighter compared to the background space.

we already know they have made programs to make world design easier, and they talk as if they have made tons of brand new planets,

While watching the video's, they also directly say this at 2:38 in the video, 

You're gonna be sitting on the surface on a planet, and you're gonna see a spec of light off in the distance that's gonna be like a pixel but that's a star, and that's something you can actually go visit in the game, and it's going to be fully simulated from point a to point b, from departure to touchdown at your destination..

while showing you tons of stars twinkling in the sky while a mothership is flying pass, there is no way they would say that, and then proceed to show gameplay talking about you see a pixel, but its a star and showing tons of brightly lit stars..

they in my mind are way to bright to be just the "background space" and are hinting that the game is going to be way larger than just 2-3-4 solar systems... thats what i personally believe and we will have to see when the game comes out, heck i would say lets talk about it once again when the game is released o7.

Just now, Stephensan said:
1 hour ago, Bej Kerman said:

It's more logical to just not implement stuff until it exists.

we do not know the scale of how many solar systems they have made, could be one of many many things they haven't talked about in the game yet.. they emphasize the sheer size of how large KSP will be, and yet keep on showing out of the "background" there is specifically ones that are brighter compared to the background space.

we already know they have made programs to make world design easier, and they talk as if they have made tons of brand new planets,

While watching the video's, they also directly say this at 2:38 in the video, 

You're gonna be sitting on the surface on a planet, and you're gonna see a spec of light off in the distance that's gonna be like a pixel but that's a star, and that's something you can actually go visit in the game, and it's going to be fully simulated from point a to point b, from departure to touchdown at your destination..

while showing you tons of stars twinkling in the sky while a mothership is flying pass, there is no way they would say that, and then proceed to show gameplay talking about you see a pixel, but its a star and showing tons of brightly lit stars..

they in my mind are way to bright to be just the "background space" and are hinting that the game is going to be way larger than just 2-3-4 solar systems... thats what i personally believe and we will have to see when the game comes out, heck i would say lets talk about it once again when the game is released o7.

You're reading into it too deep. They won't use procedural generation to make entire planets - that would be extremely boring and against KSP's style - and they especially won't make generated planets just to overwrite later.

1 minute ago, Stephensan said:

thats what i personally believe

dream_girl.png

2 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

You're reading into it too deep. They won't use procedural generation to make entire planets - that would be extremely boring and against KSP's style - and they especially won't make generated planets just to overwrite later.

Never stated that they did at all, its just that they made programs specifically to speed up progress of making a planet look good from space to ground from the point of a concept planet, down to a fully functional one, it helps streamline the idea or the concept of a planet, but doesn't help in creating concepts, and making them one of a kind... We will just have to wait to see how many solar systems will be available in game, and ill just keep on believing that all the brightly lit stars are solar systems you can go to, while others can think what they will like, and we can discuss it when it comes out if im wrong, and you are right, thats fine by me doesn't hurt to speculate how large the game will be.

We will just have to wait to see how many solar systems will be available in game, and ill just keep on believing that all the brightly lit stars are solar systems you can go to,

It's well established that everything will be handcrafted. This rules out that.

1 minute ago, Bej Kerman said:

It's well established that everything will be handcrafted. This rules out that.

No matter how well i try to unravel this, this doesn't make sense, ruling out something for believing that there is more solar systems than what we have been shown, due to them being hand crafted.. we cannot believe and speculate without it being ruled out?

No matter how well i try to unravel this, this doesn't make sense, ruling out something for believing that there is more solar systems than what we have been shown, due to them being hand crafted.. we cannot believe and speculate without it being ruled out?

It makes perfect sense. I have no idea what you're on about.

Just now, Bej Kerman said:

So, we cannot speculate that there is more planets and solar systems than the very very few planets we have seen, which could make one solar system. we have seen around (11?) planets and moons, that could be one solar system only..

So we cannot speculate that there is more than just these that have been shown due to "everything will be hand crafted".. thats what what i can understand from what you stated.. Which that couldn't make sense, why would we be forced to think there is such a limited amount of stars in speculation and believing, due to not seeing it exist yet?

7 minutes ago, Stephensan said:
14 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

So, we cannot speculate that there is more planets and solar systems than the very very few planets we have seen, which could make one solar system. we have seen around (11?) planets and moons, that could be one solar system only..

So we cannot speculate that there is more than just these that have been shown due to "everything will be hand crafted".. thats what what i can understand from what you stated.. Which that couldn't make sense, why would we be forced to think there is such a limited amount of stars in speculation and believing, due to not seeing it exist yet?

How does a team of developers handcraft as many stars as you think are accessible? Simple answer, they don't. 

Just now, Bej Kerman said:

How does a team of developers handcraft as many stars as you think are accessible? Simple answer, they don't. 

We don't know how many they have made or not have made, that's the magical part of a game in development. We don't know everything.

Edited by Stephensan

28 minutes ago, Stephensan said:
30 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

We don't know how many they have made or not have made, that's the magical part of a game in development. We don't know everything.

We do know they won't handcraft several hundreds of star systems and we know they won't be using procedural generation for anything more than fine terrain details. 

23 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

We do know they won't handcraft several hundreds of star systems and we know they won't be using procedural generation for anything more than fine terrain details. 

Im not gonna reply after this one or directly type to you anymore, it seems that your verdict of the game is gospel and any speculation or ideas that is not fit for the game at hand and any speculation is not going to happen.. This conversation will go nowhere without your last endpoint proving anything said wrong, and not just some speculation, and thinking what they showed and said.

Show directly where they state they won't do tons of stars for ksp 2? You cannot, we cannot show any proof of what they have done besides what they have shown, we as the community don't know how much they have done or will do for this game at the end of the game nor what will be there at release, you infer they wont do hundreds of star systems, which im not saying is the case, they stated you will see a pixel in the sky and you will be able to go there, and it was that simple.. there was a small scene in the video with amount of around 90 "star" like objects shown that could be the pixels that they are referring to, i said within reason that one of the reasons why they could have needed more time is to create more stars, they can be placeholder solar systems where in time you will be able to go there when they release, or they could be solar systems that are in the game already.

and instead of having a cheerful discussion about speculation of what they are talking, showing, you just straight up say "no", i give off a decent explanation of why i stated it due to what was shown...You then stated im reading in to deep, about speculation? and we cannot speculate about anything else, alongside some weird off meme that only three people could understand, and then passive aggressiveness... i stated cheerfully that we will wait and see and i don't care about the outcome as long as its speculation..

i have tried two times to close it off without thinking about it to much, but the passive aggressiveness and the "i know everything" attitude is just way to off putting to put a meaningful speculation or conversation on course. 

you don't know everything that will come or not come in the game, and that goes aswell as me, not even the community knows what they have in store for ksp besides what has been shown, or said. 

I think that the devs will probably try to make each sun in a system generally as unique as much as possible. The devs know that they cant do infinite work, and thus they want everything they do to be valuable and distinct, having more stars for the sake of more stars and not have unique settings would not only be a lot of work, it would lead to a lot of the solar systems feeling the same. Currently its pretty safe to say there are at least 3 solar systems, we know of kerbol and gurdama, and many of the planets we've seen dont fit the theming of gurdama (which is a young kerbol esc system). Also I forget which video but a red star is seen in the background of one of them. With the previous assumption Im going to do the bold task and try and guess what stars have a decent chance of being in game. Gurdama is obviously intended to be the star system most players will first enter, with the star likely being similar to kerbol thus not having too many new mechanics, the main gameplay purpose of this system would be to just introduce players to interstellar travel while not shoving too much on them.

The stars I think have the highest chance of being in game would probably be one or two sorts of dwarf (Im guessing a closer red dwarf and a farther white dwarf) and a giant star (guessing red giant). The gameplay niches these systems will fill is having dealing with greater precision for interstellar travel, large amounts of radiation and dealing with greatly increased distances between planets respectively. Some more star systems that I think would fit ksp2 and be unique but be less likely would be a binary/trinary star system (main challenge here would be dealing with the unique gravity), a brown dwarf/rogue planet that serves as a hidden system that's only revealed to exist later on when you get better telescopes (and probably in a logistically useful position), and a blue hyper/supergiant for late game that has greater radiation and scale then the white dwarf and red giant respectively. If the devs have decided to implement stellar wind (previously they said it was outside of scope), I can also see a planetary nebula with a red giant in the middle to serve as a place of extreme stellar wind. Overall Id be surprised if the amount of systems in ksp2 isnt in between 4-7 star systems. 

For some more theoretical exotic stuff that probably wont be in ksp2 but are cool , plank stars are stars that exist within black holes, with the significant energy density of these stars causing significant repulsive pressure due to the heisenberg uncertainty principle. This repulsive pressure eventually causes them to break out of the black hole, however due to the relativistic effects of this extreme gravity, this process would take billions of years. Electroweak stars are another form of highly compact stars that instead of having there repulsion come from fusion, it comes from the conversion of quarks to leptons. This means the repulsion is far less then a normal star and thus they're far denser. Boson stars are stars formed out of bosons (type of particle, one possible boson that could compose these stars is dark matter), these stars are both transparent and invisible, yet the gravity is significant enough to where you still get significant warping of light (it would probably look similar to a black hole except there wouldnt be any black and you could just see right through it). 

Edited by Strawberry

13 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

It's well established that everything will be handcrafted.

Do you have a source for this? I’m under the impression it is factually untrue to say everything will be handcrafted. 

11 hours ago, Stephensan said:

Im not gonna reply after this one or directly type to you anymore, it seems that your verdict of the game is gospel and any speculation or ideas that is not fit for the game at hand and any speculation is not going to happen.. This conversation will go nowhere without your last endpoint proving anything said wrong, and not just some speculation, and thinking what they showed and said.

Show directly where they state they won't do tons of stars for ksp 2? You cannot, we cannot show any proof of what they have done besides what they have shown, we as the community don't know how much they have done or will do for this game at the end of the game nor what will be there at release, you infer they wont do hundreds of star systems, which im not saying is the case, they stated you will see a pixel in the sky and you will be able to go there, and it was that simple.. there was a small scene in the video with amount of around 90 "star" like objects shown that could be the pixels that they are referring to, i said within reason that one of the reasons why they could have needed more time is to create more stars, they can be placeholder solar systems where in time you will be able to go there when they release, or they could be solar systems that are in the game already.

and instead of having a cheerful discussion about speculation of what they are talking, showing, you just straight up say "no", i give off a decent explanation of why i stated it due to what was shown...You then stated im reading in to deep, about speculation? and we cannot speculate about anything else, alongside some weird off meme that only three people could understand, and then passive aggressiveness... i stated cheerfully that we will wait and see and i don't care about the outcome as long as its speculation..

i have tried two times to close it off without thinking about it to much, but the passive aggressiveness and the "i know everything" attitude is just way to off putting to put a meaningful speculation or conversation on course. 

you don't know everything that will come or not come in the game, and that goes aswell as me, not even the community knows what they have in store for ksp besides what has been shown, or said. 

Your conclusions are mere speculation ("the skybox has stars, ergo they must be accessible" is not a "decent explanation"), mine are based on what KSP 1 did and the fact the developers would have told us years ago if large-scale procedural generation was involved.