KSP2 Interactive Timeline

Hey everyone, My name is Kevin, my friends call me Chives.  Long story behind that one...  You might recognize the DrCHIVES account name from the post regarding the KSP Developers not planning on attending PAX East this year.  That post kind of blew up in a way I hadn't quite intended.  I think a lot of people assumed that my post was negative towards the status of the game.  This was not my intention at all.  I know that the Devs are working hard and that what we've seen from them only reassures me that this game will be absolutely amazing!  Funny, I've been playing KSP since 2012, only payed like $4 I believe, and with over 2000 hours in the game I've never made a KSP forum account.  At 4 dollars, I have gotten more out of this game than any $60 game, or any game for that matter.  I am eagerly awaiting the sequel!  On that note, I am writing this post to share something that I have been working on for a while now.  Throughout the development of this game, I have found it difficult to navigate much of the information that has been released about the game be it show and tells, developer diaries, feature videos, interviews with the Devs, and so on.  Much has happened on these fronts, however, between all of the different social mediums that Private Division utilizes, many people appear to be left out.  Now I know many of us forum members will be pretty up to date on everything as, collectively, most of the news is posted here in the different forum tabs.  However, a large percentage of the KSP community do not appear to be.  I have based this on the many posts on other mediums that seem to ask questions on topics that have already been answered.  Early on, I expected one of the bigger names in the KSP community to fill the role of becoming a regular source of information regarding news on KSP2.  This has not happened apart from the occasional post to the like of "where is it now" videos.  I figured that since I obsessively research any updates on the game already, I might as well try my hand at that. So along with this post I am sharing a link to an actively maintained interactive timeline that I have made regarding all KSP2 news from its announcement in August of 2019 until its hopeful 2022 release.  Also, I will begin to post regular update videos to the cadence of the show and tell posts dropped by the Devs or any news that may pop up in the two weeks that typically make up a show and tell cycle on my YouTube channel.  If you find this informative, and want to support this, please subscribe to the youtube channel and like the videos!  Unfortunately, the awesome timeline website that I have used to build my interactive timeline does cost me to maintain.  I will be actively supporting it and the YouTube channel for a while, until I determine whether people are finding it helpful.  Please feel free to contact me also if you find any official news items that have popped up that I have missed.  It was a lot of old information to sort through when building the timeline.  

Thanks Again,

DrCHIVES

Interactive KSP2 News Timeline

DrCHIVES Youtube Channel

14 hours ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

Thank you for making this and here is a post you may be interested in. It may be a lil late but welcome to the forums :)

Thanks, I appreciate the support!  yes, I have indeed seen the repository.  I have studied that quite frequently for my own personal knowledge.  Its Amazing work @The Aziz!  The purpose of my Timeline was to have a streamlined way to view all the official content that has been released by the developers as well as a way to visually see the cadence at which certain things have been released.  Like for example, the window for the Feature series videos are between 4 and a half to 6 months.  I worked to have this timeline released Yesterday, as I knew we were coming to the end of the release window for another developer feature video.  If the current cadence continues I would expect to see another one before the end of September.  Being that Gamescom is in late august this year, I have a sneaky theory that we will receive something big around then (hopefully the drop of a release date in November or December.  At least, this is my prediction haha.  

6 hours ago, Vl3d said:

Great project! Did you also include this Purdue Space podcast interview? It's one of the most informative.

I remember listening to this haha, but yes, I did miss this...  It has been added!  thanks for the info.

2 hours ago, DrCHIVES said:

Being that Gamescom is in late august this year, I have a sneaky theory that we will receive something big around then (hopefully the drop of a release date in November or December.  At least, this is my prediction haha.  

I don't mean this in a negative way, but based on what we've seen and the fact that the footage we are seeing still says "pre=alpha", I'd be shocked if KSP2 releases in 2022.  I just have a hard time seeing them progress that much in the next six to seven months.  

1 hour ago, Jcklemme said:

based on what we've seen and the fact that the footage we are seeing still says "pre=alpha"

You, and everyone else, may want to take a look at certain post explaining why it says prealpha. Not to mention it was explained countless times by other forum users.

In short, what we're seeing is not the latest build, neither the most complete.

1 hour ago, Jcklemme said:
3 hours ago, DrCHIVES said:

Being that Gamescom is in late august this year, I have a sneaky theory that we will receive something big around then (hopefully the drop of a release date in November or December.  At least, this is my prediction haha.  

I don't mean this in a negative way, but based on what we've seen and the fact that the footage we are seeing still says "pre=alpha", I'd be shocked if KSP2 releases in 2022.  I just have a hard time seeing them progress that much in the next six to seven months.  

Not only was the latest episode filmed several months ago, but they also probably used older, more stable builds while filming.

I'm not saying this to be negative, I want the game delayed if that's going to result in a good piece of software.  I'm just saying we've seen very little in the way of gameplay or anything that looks like something approaching a finished game.  Now I get that some studios like to keep things close to their chest and that KSP2 is not being developed by Squad.  It just seems like they would show something resembling a game if there was more done.

4 hours ago, Jcklemme said:

I'm not saying this to be negative, I want the game delayed if that's going to result in a good piece of software.  I'm just saying we've seen very little in the way of gameplay or anything that looks like something approaching a finished game.  Now I get that some studios like to keep things close to their chest and that KSP2 is not being developed by Squad.  It just seems like they would show something resembling a game if there was more done.

You may or may not know this, but Squad does still have a big role in KSP2.  After the most recent KSP update, many of the Squad members were brought over to help with KSP2.  Some still remain at Squad, but they are mostly there for patch updates and bug fixes.  But if you also didn't know, the original members of squad are long gone.  After 1.0 release Squad was bought buy private Division in 2016 I believe, and most of the members since then have been new guys and gals.  Both DLCs and 12 major content updates have been made with the new crew.  So I really would not be concerned that KSP2 is by a different developing studio.  I honestly believe that Nate Simpson will spearhead this game to be 10x more awesome than the first.  He is the right guy for the job!  You also got to keep in mind that these developer videos were already planned.  they dropped a trailer for these videos along side the trailer announcement.  The game was originally meant to release in spring of 2020.  I have a huge feeling that a lot of the stuff that they are showing us isn't new by any stretch as it was already at least scripted.  NDAs suck!  Nate himself has mentioned on many occasions that they are way beyond what they are allowed to talk about.  Private Division is the one keeping a tight leash on what the developers are allowed to reveal.  I, very recently, would have also said that I believe that the game will be delayed again.  But what I cant get past is the fine tuning that is being shown on the more recent show and tells and even this most recent developer series video.  Beautification is usually a very late stage process in video game development.  They most certainly would not be focusing on on terrain textures and atmospheric scattering if the core game wasn't built.  I honestly believe we are very close now.  But at the end of the day if there is another delay, I certainly do not think it will be a long one.  I will be anxiously patient in waiting ;p

So looks like 1 month less each time between tentpole videos. Only one tentpole left with modding/multiplayer.... that tentpole would indeed make sense to be followed by a Community Stalwart event of well known moders and streamer which means beta release ready to play say a month after.

So thinking release 4 +1 + 1 months just in time to built hype for xmas.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, DrCHIVES said:
20 hours ago, Vl3d said:

Please fix the delay announcements in the timeline. @DrCHIVES

Apologies, what have I messed up?

My bad, you fixed it already. I saw this comment:

"KSP 2 was announced to be delayed Nov 5, 2020 not Nov 5, 2021"

• 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, whatsEJstandfor said:

Just noticed that all the Developer Insight links appear to be broken now that the KSP site has been updated :valsob:

Thanks for pointing it out! We will make sure all those links are updated! 

21 hours ago, Zozaf Kerman said:

I saw your yt channel earlier today, Chives!

That's awesome!  Good to know the youtube algorithm is doing something haha.  It's crazy, I started the channel for warzone content two years ago and never took off.  Drop one ksp2 news video... boom 20 some subscribers right away.  Thanks for the support!

• 4 weeks later...

I'd just like to chime in and say: this is a very cool idea! It's great to see all KSP2 content laid out chronologically, and it makes it easy to see how spaced out updates were at different points in the game's development. Thanks for putting this together, and if it's not too much work/too expensive, I hope you can keep it updated until the release of KSP2 :) 

Edited by TROPtastic

Well there ain't much going on right now. Next possible update is probably in a couple of months (unless they surprise us with showntell) and only from there it will hopefully get more dense with information flow.