Game won't save or leave ship

I got a very annoying bug that prevents me from playing. when I launch a complex ship, the game apparently keeps working, but it won't save game anymore, nor will it return to space center or do anything else. it won't even exit the game, I need ctrl-alt-canc for it. And then everything I've done is lost, because it didn't save in persistent either. it's not that the game interface is forbidding from saving, like it happens when you move on the surface. no, you click save game and nothing happens. you click return to space center, and nothing happens.

I made some experiments; small rockets seem to be fine. large ships seem consistently to generate this bug. on the launchpad, they are fine. even if I alt-f12 them directly in orbit they are fine, most of the times - although the bug can still strike later. but as soon as I activate staging, they get screwed up.

My main mods are kerbalism, near future parts, and rss. a handful of smaller mods like simple fuel switch and antenna sleep.

I've been launching and using ships a lot more complex than that in the past, and i never encountered this bug, so I strongly suspect rss is to blame - i had all the other mods back then too. but i was using the 1.09 or 1.10 version, now i updated to 1.12, so maybe that's the problem. next thing I'm gonna do is to transfer all those mods into a 1.09 version and see if it does the same. unless someone can help me first.

• 2 months later...

I have the same issue but I don't have the mods you've listed. My particular issue started when I updated KSP Recall and Contract Pack Research Advancement Division. I have space stations which are  >20 parts and a sat that is ~20 parts that seems to exhibit this behavior.

I'm going to roll back those mods but given you are having the same issue, it might be something that isn't fixed with a rollback?  If you have Recall or the other one let me know so we can write a problem ticket.

42 minutes ago, CaptSmollett said:

I have the same issue but I don't have the mods you've listed. My particular issue started when I updated KSP Recall and Contract Pack Research Advancement Division. I have space stations which are  >20 parts and a sat that is ~20 parts that seems to exhibit this behavior.

I'm going to roll back those mods but given you are having the same issue, it might be something that isn't fixed with a rollback?  If you have Recall or the other one let me know so we can write a problem ticket.

no, i have neither of those mods.

on the plus side, after i brought the offending vessels to orbit with the cheat menu, the game has been working fine.

This started happening with my game recently, in the last days of June. The original post was back in April.

I'm seeing this problem when I switch to a relatively simple satellite in Kerbin orbit. For example, I have a simple craft with 13 parts, a SCAN SAR-C experiment, Wild Blue SPF-1 solar panels, some Blue Dog Design Bureau parts, and some stock parts. 

I get stuck even if I deorbit the satellite and crash it into the ground.

The only thing that's functional in moving away from the vehicle scene is to reload a save. Nothing else on the escape menu works, although the UI does visually show buttons pressed when you click on them.

When I hover over the altimeter/lights/brakes control, it does not move down to reveal the "Space Center" button.

If anyone is willing to look at logs, I will post them. 

Have any of you tried clearing the input locks? Alt+F12 > input locks > clear input locks, or if you have the ClickThroughBlocker mod (a pretty common dependency) then it adds a button to the toolbar that looks like a mouse and a padlock and does exactly the same thing.

If that doesn't work, logs and screenshots will be needed to get to the bottom of it.

32 minutes ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

Have any of you tried clearing the input locks? Alt+F12 > input locks > clear input locks, or if you have the ClickThroughBlocker mod (a pretty common dependency) then it adds a button to the toolbar that looks like a mouse and a padlock and does exactly the same thing.

If that doesn't work, logs and screenshots will be needed to get to the bottom of it.

I don't remember, it's been a while. But I probably did, I know about clearing input locks and I did try a bunch of stuff.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.