Predictions on how many star systems we're getting? (Excluding Kerbol)

Predictions on how many star systems we're getting? (Excluding Kerbol)  

87 members have voted

1. 1. How many new star systems do you think we'll get? Explain your reasoning below

• 2 or less
    • 3 to 5
    • 6 to 8
    • 9 or more

19 hours ago, DwightLee said:

You define multiple as 3-5? I have some education for you in the English language.  If they only provided 1 other system, that would be multiple. 

I define multiple as two or more, I meant to say 3-5 total star systems including kerbol If we get at least two extra.

2 hours ago, Awfulwaffle said:

I define multiple as two or more, I meant to say 3-5 total star systems including kerbol If we get at least two extra.

In that case I agree with you if you are including Kerbol. Id like more than 3 total, but expecting 2 other systems. ( and wont be disappointed either way, after all I could spend a year playing in the Kerbol system.

Quick reminder that this thread isn't for the discussion of the particulars of the English language. That can easily get quite confusing and vague, especially when you're discussing the use case of a word with an INTENTIONALLY vague definition, like "multiple" :confused:.
The thread was created to discuss how many solar systems we're going to get

As for myself, I think we'll be getting 2 or 3, new systems, but probably two to start off with.
I'm not even going to attempt to predict how many additional systems we get with DLCs (if any), but I'll say that I do think that would be a smart decision by the KSP 2 developers, and that it would sell well.
However, those DLC's would also have to introduce new parts, hopefully some colony parts, and some rocket parts, and maybe some additional robotics parts (gears or at least gearboxes and the like even?) over the course of several DLC's.
Also hopefully no warp drives or star systems with wormholes, we can leave those out of the vanilla game because you can rest assured that modders will add them in short order!

As for what "multiple" means, I'm sick of seeing the discussion of it. If there are "multiple" more posts about "multiple" in this thread, then "multiple" mods might get involved moderating this thread's post in "multiple" potential ways :sticktongue:

Let's say they do decide to release system packs as DLC, how much would you be willing to pay for each system?  I'd say like $3 would be what I'd want to see at max assuming they are Stock quality.

8 minutes ago, Jcklemme said:

I'd say like $3 would be what I'd want to see at max assuming they are Stock quality.

Given the level of detail we've seen in the KSP2 graphics- especially planets- I'd expect they'd cost rather more than 3$.  Maybe closer to 6 to 10 per system.

7 minutes ago, Jcklemme said:

Let's say they do decide to release system packs as DLC, how much would you be willing to pay for each system?  I'd say like $3 would be what I'd want to see at max assuming they are Stock quality.

I would like them to release systems in one or two large packs, because otherwise there would be a larger incentive to just create more and more systems instead of planning a theme to the systems. For example, one DLC could be 3-5 systems orbiting a supermassive black hole at different altitudes, and another could include exotic stars or be in a nebula. These packs I'd be fine paying whatever money the devs need to keep developing, but I'd say probably around $10-20 for a full set of systems that are coherently put together. 

And of course, please devs, don't rule out the possibility of including systems in the regular free updates. If anything, do it like KSP 1 where you release a portion of the update for free and the rest for DLC - just having one system out of these packs for free would be great. 

And in terms of packs, here is what I could see happening:

Black hole pack

Exotic stars pack

Nebula Pack

Very distant stars pack

(Very) Exotic planets pack (the stuff that is basically impossible but not categorically ruled out)

6 hours ago, Jcklemme said:

I'm hoping for a system similar to what Age of Empires 2 is doing at the moment: 

• 2-3 big new civilizations (in this case solar systems)
  • one or two brand new features that affect everyone, even those who don't buy the DLC (like a new multiplayer mode or challenges or scenarios)
  • new posters, artworks, backgrounds, small graphical mods with fun eastereggs
  • some light balance tweaking, big chunk of bugfixing

for around 15-20$, going down to 10$ on some sales later on. Which I think is a very fair price for dozens of hours of new content, plus it also engages the community anew. 3$ is way to little for the work that goes into a solar system design

Edited by avalancha

2 hours ago, Maria Sirona said:

Don't we know that there is the seperate Debdeb system and a very young one (that one hs Gurdamma in it), so at least two new solar systems?

I believe Debdeb IS the very young one with both Gurdamma and Glumo/ Merbel. There are a couple other planets like Puf and Lapat that appear to be in habitable zones, which might indicate 3 new systems, or they could both be in the same system like Kerbin and Laythe (Kerbol +2). 

There was also some discussion early on about not spoiling things, so very likely there are a bunch of other planets they haven’t shown at all. 

Edited by Pthigrivi

1 hour ago, Maria Sirona said:

No they couldn't, it has been explicitly stated that no planets or moons will be added to or removed from the OG Solar System

Oh no I mean Kerbin and Laythe both are terrestrial looking and share a system, and Lapat and Puf might similarly share a different system, either at the leading and outer edge of a new star’s habitable zone or one heated by tidal forces further out. 

Edited by Pthigrivi

2 hours ago, Pthigrivi said:

Oh no I mean Kerbin and Laythe both are terrestrial looking and share a system, and Lapat and Puf might similarly share a different system, either at the leading and outer edge of a new star’s habitable zone or one heated by tidal forces further out. 

Oh OK, i misunderstood. Thanks for clarifying

On another note, hasn't it been said somewhere semi-official there will be about a dozen systems?

7 minutes ago, Maria Sirona said:

Oh OK, i misunderstood. Thanks for clarifying

On another note, hasn't it been said somewhere semi-official there will be about a dozen systems?

I think some people were interpreting the Karecibo message alignment pattern as indicating the number of star systems. I don’t know if there has been any official communication about the number of systems. 

As far as how much I myself would be willing to pay for for new star systems, I'd say probably about $15 each (more if there's more systems in each pack). Then again I'm someone who bought KSP twice, both times for myself, because I wanted to support the developers.

Include a bunch of new rocket parts along with exactly one new solar system, and I'll pay $25 for the lot. Again, I'll be willing to pay more if there's more solar systems and/or more rocket parts, assuming they're all done to the same level of detail as the systems in the base game (or better, but if better then I'd be willing to pay more).

You know, if there's a system for adding new star systems via DLC, then that system would probably also be made accessible to mod authors too, and that's just a great way to make the whole process of adding in solar systems from mods a lot easier.

A built-in functionality that means you don't need mods like ModuleManager, Kopernicus, or CKAN (I know that last one's not quite a mod, but still), would be incredibly nice, even if they DO have to add that in after release.

I think its confirmed here that there are at least 2 other systems besides the Kerbolar system. I think that 2 new systems are a minimum, as there should be multiple places to go to with the new engines. I think anything more than 5 is way to much work to be there at launch, but like many others in this thread I do think star system DLC is not unlikely. So I'd say there will probably be around 3 new systems excluding kerbol.

closest stars to earth

Considering within a 10 light year range alone there are 11 stars, i'd say about 7-14 maybe more.
It would be unrealistic for only 2-5 and as even within a 8 ly range there is 6 stars, but idk maybe im wrong, but to be fair they did say at multiple ponts in the new episode five that the game was huge
case and point herehereand here.

Also at multiple points in episode five you can see some stars look "closer" than others, i think its best noticeable here. (you can see two red dwarfs on the bottom right, and and a few stars on the bottom left that look closer than the others but it could just be me)

I believe a point should be made here: I'm not certain all available stars will be kinda around Kerbol. I mean it makes sense to be in the "center of the universe" and explore outwards, but something tells me that distances between some random two new stars may sometimes be smaller than between Kerbol and the other star.

For DLCs, I would be willing to pay up to 35$, even if it is just a couple systems, so I could support the team. A cool feature that might make the expansions be worth more are either more game mechanics, like discussed in the ‘Mun Excavating’ post down in the KSP2 development ideas, or some more types of colonies/colony upgrades.

For the types of colonies I was thinking:

Spoiler

- Colonies suitable to extreme conditions (colonies fully on lava that can take the heat, colonies deep, deep underground that can withstand the pressure)

- submersible colonies (on water, underwater)

- mobile colonies ( the colony can move, and maybe at higher tiers throw itself into orbit)

- floating colonies [probably the most unrealistic of the list] (colonies that stay in the air floating above ground using a variety of different propulsions)

- asteroid/small gravity planet colonies (colonies that have a way to ‘sink’ themselves into the ground, to contend with the low gravity of these asteroids)

And for the colony upgrades… cooler launchpads, more infrastructure, different kinds of parts for getting your kerbals around, etc, etc.

Disclaimer: A lot of these ideas are most likely unrealistic, but I included them just for fun.

Given that star systems are handcrafted, there'll only be a few. With possibly more coming as DLC in the future but unless they add new gameplay options, what's really the point?

The alternative would be procedurally generated, but then there's the risk that no matter where you go, it'll all be very similar and thus somewhat pointless as we've seen in other games using this approach. 

On 4/15/2022 at 6:35 PM, Zozaf Kerman said:

For DLCs, I would be willing to pay up to 35$, even if it is just a couple systems, so I could support the team. A cool feature that might make the expansions be worth more are either more game mechanics, like discussed in the ‘Mun Excavating’ post down in the KSP2 development ideas, or some more types of colonies/colony upgrades.

For the types of colonies I was thinking:

Hide contents

- Colonies suitable to extreme conditions (colonies fully on lava that can take the heat, colonies deep, deep underground that can withstand the pressure)

- submersible colonies (on water, underwater)

- mobile colonies ( the colony can move, and maybe at higher tiers throw itself into orbit)

- floating colonies [probably the most unrealistic of the list] (colonies that stay in the air floating above ground using a variety of different propulsions)

- asteroid/small gravity planet colonies (colonies that have a way to ‘sink’ themselves into the ground, to contend with the low gravity of these asteroids)

And for the colony upgrades… cooler launchpads, more infrastructure, different kinds of parts for getting your kerbals around, etc, etc.

Disclaimer: A lot of these ideas are most likely unrealistic, but I included them just for fun.

It has been confirmed there will be no microtransactions, DLCs are microtransactions. 

17 hours ago, Maria Sirona said:

It has been confirmed there will be no microtransactions, DLCs are microtransactions. 

In what world is a DLC a microtransaction?

Edit 2022-04-18 : Sorry, that probably sounded a bit facetious.

A DLC is a major optional addition to a game, developed and released separately and usually costing a significant fraction of the original game price. Sometimes a DLC modifies the core game experience, but usually the primary focus of a DLC is on expanding the playable area via new maps which sometimes allow for an entirely new style of gameplay compared to the original game.

A microtransaction is something built into games, often free-to-play games, which allows people to pay a small amount to immediately unlock something which can usually be unlocked through in-game activities. The in-game activities are often purposefully developed to be "grindy" or to take long real-world timers to complete in order to encourage people to pay for the unlock instead.  Unlocks are usually fairly minor such as new characters, weapons, outfits, etc.

Edited by micha
Add my understanding of DLC and microtransaction

9 hours ago, Maria Sirona said:

DLCs are not microtransactions.