Predictions on how many star systems we're getting? (Excluding Kerbol)

Predictions on how many star systems we're getting? (Excluding Kerbol)  

87 members have voted

1. 1. How many new star systems do you think we'll get? Explain your reasoning below

• 2 or less
    • 3 to 5
    • 6 to 8
    • 9 or more

On 4/12/2022 at 5:00 AM, Pthigrivi said:

There’s also some clues that an 8th planet or TNO-like object far past Eeloo might be added. 

I would love that, but what clues are you referring to?

It would also seem to contradict the following claim:

On 4/14/2022 at 2:04 PM, Maria Sirona said:

it has been explicitly stated that no planets or moons will be added to or removed from the OG Solar System

I recall a similar statement, but do you have the exact quotation, because my memory is that the statement wasn't so explicit and specific. I recall that it seemed like they were saying what you said, but that there was some wiggle room in the interpretation.

Certainly no removals, but did Nate ever so explicitly clarify that there would also be no additions?

On 4/14/2022 at 2:07 PM, Pthigrivi said:

Oh no I mean Kerbin and Laythe both are terrestrial looking and share a system, and Lapat and Puf might similarly share a different system, [...] or one heated by tidal forces further out. 

I doubt it, and would be disappointed if so.

The source of heat keeping H2O liquid on one side of Puf is clearly a sun. Tidal heating doesn't do that.

Iirc, Lapat has tree like objects, again suggesting light as a significant source of energy.

But inner and outer edges of the normal zone might be possible

44 minutes ago, KerikBalm said:

Iirc, Lapat has tree like objects, again suggesting light as a significant source of energy.

Later clips of Lapat show it as a reddish planet (the one with atmospheric scattering flying down over a mountain). There's a chance that those trees were test assets to check if the scatter was working properly. But I'd love it if another planet had large fauna. 

2 hours ago, KerikBalm said:

I would love that, but what clues are you referring to?

I don't think Nate ever said there would be no additions, and we've already seen that the existing worlds have pretty substantial changes to their geography. 

The big clue we got about a Kerbol planet 8 was in the Next Gen Astronauts featurette. At about 6:30 they pan out on  a sketch of the Kerbol system revealing another planet with ??? next to it past Eeloo. Not officially confirmed but I think its a really smart idea to make a bit of a stepping stone out to interstellar missions. No one would be mad about that. 

Edited by Pthigrivi

9 hours ago, Pthigrivi said:

I think its a really smart idea to make a bit of a stepping stone out to interstellar missions. No one would be mad about that. 

I agree, I have previously suggested an outer solar system and Sedna/ planet 9 like object as an intermediate between KSP 1 like voyages, and interstellar voyages.

An Ice giant, + KBOs/ scattered disk objects would be awesome

9 hours ago, Pthigrivi said:

Well I think we can credit our irrepressibly enthusiastic friend Vl3d for that

KSP2 multiplayer will be the greatest cooperative sandbox game ever made. It will be a case study for years to come about the logistics of building an interstellar civilization.

Let me give you an example that's very on topic. While most of us will be working on building 0.1c-0.2c Class Interstellar motherships burning in brachistochrone trajectories, some industrious players will prefer to spread out through the Oort cloud, bunny hopping from rock to rock, mining resources until they will arrive at the overlapping debris cloud of the closest star systems to Kerbol.

This spreading industrial web strategy cannot be done in single player in a reasonable time window and it cannot be simulated in any other game. But it is one of the most realistic ways to travel to our neighboring stars. I actually think younger star systems will have so much debris around them that brachistochrone trajectory interstelar travel will be too risky in reality.

So the question is: of the closest new stars, how many will have simulated debris clouds?

Edited by Vl3d

I voted 3-5, but honestly I think a better range would be 2-3. That is just my gut feeling based on the info they have put out thus far. It seems they are leaning towards tailoring a smaller number of destinations for unique and enjoyable gameplay vs. just making a bunch of stars/worlds just for the sake of it.

As people have pointed out, we don't need a Lot of other star systems, we need a few, perhaps only one or two but full of planets and well laid out. We played Kerbal for over a  decade in a single system, and still had more to do.

Edited by DwightLee