How do i make a planet pack?

These days, learning how to make custom planets is (unfortunately) extremely difficult. I too had trouble finding up-to-date tutorials, but there are still plenty of resources that you can use for reference on your planet-making journey.

• https://kopernicus.github.io/wiki/
    • The Kopernicus Wiki is your best friend when it comes to understanding how to use configs and what all the variables mean. 
  • https://tangrams.github.io/heightmapper/
    • This is like Google Earth, but it's a height map. Do you ever wonder how planet pack authors make their planets look so realistic? They copy and paste exported sections of Earth's height map and combine them into something unique.
  • (Video--see spoiler box) 
Spoiler

• ^
    • This video is a good example of how you should use Tangram to make a height map (Gameslinx uses nebula as his height map. Trust me, stick with Tangram exports). It also gives some insight into how to create a config and render a planet in-game.
  • GIMP and Paint.net
    • These are free photo manipulation software. I used them to create my planet pack, and I recommend you do the same. Use GIMP to create your height maps and color maps.
  • Notepad++
    • Use this for writing and saving your configs.
  • Other people's planet packs
    • Nothing helps you learn better than messing around with the configs and textures of an existing planet pack. Just remember, this would only be for learning. Publish only what is purely your own content (no major derivatives).
  • The Kopernicus Discord
    • Here, you can find all the best modders and ask for help. As far as I've seen, everyone is very willing to give you a hand and provide crucial feedback on your work.
  • (KSP forum--see spoiler box)
Spoiler

• ^
    • This forum has a bunch of tutorials related to planet texturing (including how to eliminate polar seams).

If you have any further questions, feel free to message me using the forums. Good luck!

Edited by wpetula

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.