SPACE STATIONS! Post your pictures here

tsunam1

hi ! (click picture for bigger)

YN9fQ9Tl.jpg

Simple Station Orbiting 400k

it's "Rendez-vous" point for little SSTO and testing the limit (400k +).

3 nodes for refueling (LFO propellant, food water, kas things, etc.), two plane SSTO node, and one on the top for

big shuttle transport.

With two simple SSTO and a big transport on the top I've reached the limit of the simulator so I'm

very limited for station size, and it's very frustrating for me.........

I have the default to put to much part by station element lol.

bye !

My rebuilt station. Still generally the same ISS-like design I built in .22. This time with more of the KSO parts and built to accommodate the Connected Living Spaces mod. Figure I'll eventually use it to collect Antimatter for Interstellar since I don't want to bother getting the Interstellar LabModule working with CLS.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

evolution of my stock station design

Very first version took 15 launches to assemble. Each fuel tank was docked separately. The docking hub also took 5 trips.

4FD40CF3A4BDEBE34787160A1AE087CC7D4B897D

Follow up model was much cleaner, had it down to 7 launches, also added Xeon gas tanks

5DB4FC89020E6EC9C5A99D2EED6670C5AE9CBE95

When the asteroid grabber and science came out, station got slightly tweaked. Sending up large sections together, i was able to do it in 5 launches. Simplified the docking hub

83B21F691F0ADDB4718C5C3C66275894E17D618E

My previous station got bugged and the docking ports stopped working, so i refined the design. Switching the 6 Rockomax tanks for 3 Kerbodyne. Beefing up the RCS and Xeon stocks as wellF39C63F4BDF15256E4864BA7CCB4377964980197

Latest version is only 200 parts

Takes 3 launches to build, sending the tanks up empty and filling them later.

Craft file folder if any one fancies assembling it

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B-za_GuHaum3VVBNaFFUcWl4RW8&usp=sharing

9199FE169A9146D17817E26B1D0E36825A35B6A5

Assembled one in LKO, then sent it to Laythe

Edited by Mista Mista

2 months since I tried building my Minmus station for the Jool 5 challange and never got anywhere near, alot of frustration and a dozen attempts later I finally got a massive station into orbit on scrap science to function also as a vessel to hop to Jool/Duna after draining Minmus of science and dock additional modules and landers :)

Have fun with my failures, lol

Too complex for KSP to handle

Too many design flaws

(Mod list changed abit since first album)

It handles actually quite well, most likely will have to retract that after sending a Kathene refueling ship to Minmus to top it off again :P

This is my new HKO station at 1024km, which I have dubbed the "Aisling" because it was the first decent name that popped into my head. It marks the first successful test of my new "Station in a Tewb":

screen20.jpg

Note the inclusion of escape pods for up to four crew, because safety is a priority! No re-enactments of "Gravity" on my Career save!

I built this station over the last 2 or 3 weeks, after countless hours, do-overs, and game crashes. It took 21 trips (there are 23 modules) to build the station, and is designed to contain a crew of six.

The station orbiting 100km above Kerbin at a 51.6 degree inclination as the sun's rays hit it.

sa9NQLT.jpg

View of the two docked Odyssey spacecraft, which carries 3 kerbonauts up to the station.

Ixr8SNC.png

An incredible view from the cupola of the two Odyssey spacecraft and Kerbin in the darkness below.

sWGCDiE.png

Expedition 14 maneuvering it's way to the station at 0.1 m/s. The station is currently in free drift mode to make docking easier.

pZ1Fxpg.jpg

I've got this thing way up in KSO. Took forever to get the core where it needed to be initially, and docking some of the heavy parts/ships knocked it out of true KSO, but so far it's been up there for 12 years and it's still over KSC. It has ion propulsion to fine tune orbit when needed. I still have a fuel module I need to dock to the bottom.

LbXnAnA.png

Edited by 23278

My first attempt at building a station. Its pretty much just a flying gas station (with a fancy view). Its supposed to fuel up interplanetary expeditions, should I ever acquire the skills to undertake them.

(The part with the x-shaped 1x6 solar panels attached to it is the shuttle.)

4GWPPB2.jpg?1

I made a Kerbol-orbiting station, but I just can't get ships to attach to it. I can't get a close enough encounter... and when I do I miss it ;.;. So it's a pretty useless and empty station.

oGOeNIe.png

As you can see, it has a lab and 4 big docking ports, with plenty of SAS and RCS. It's orbiting at 10.000.000 km over Kerbol.

wWMKVdd.png

I made a Kerbol-orbiting station, but I just can't get ships to attach to it. I can't get a close enough encounter... and when I do I miss it ;.;. So it's a pretty useless and empty station.

As you can see, it has a lab and 4 big docking ports, with plenty of SAS and RCS. It's orbiting at 10.000.000 km over Kerbol.

Yeah, Kerbol stations aren't really a good idea since the speeds they'll be orbiting are too ridiculous for conventional rendezvous procedures. Inclination angles and distances are so drastic that you'll need to be incredibly precise with your manoeuvres to even get within the several hundred kilometres range. Think of it as trying to make an encounter with a specific point on Duna (i.e- land on it), while still being in interplanetary orbit. All in a single burn. Yeah...

The only viable location for a station orbiting a star, any star, is as far away from it's gravitational centre as possible. The further you get from any gravity well, the slower you'll be orbiting around it. If you absolutely want a solar station, try somewhere around Eeloo (or way, way after Jool in general), it's orbital velocity is about 3km/s which makes rendezvous much easier.

You can still have stations closer to the centre, only your rendezvous time and procedures will be much longer and you need to treat their encounters as ones with planets short windows with almost no wiggle room.