SPACE STATIONS! Post your pictures here

tsunam1

My space station, appropriately named, "The Kerbal Space Station" (KSS).

KSS.png

It has RCS and Liquid Fuel storage, a lab and Science Jr. (but no other science modules. My mistake), two return modules, and a cupola for viewing Kerbin. It can hold 10840 MonoPropellant, 3420 Liquid Fuel, 4180 Oxidizer, and 40 Kerbals (although I only put 8 up there at a time).

My largest station in my current career save is around the Mun. Not very big by itself but it's always super busy sending kerbals and fuel wherever they need to go. So most of it's mass comes from docked ships. It's the first station I built in this save as well.

hRJD2Si.png

Here it is with three different landers and a refueling craft.

My third design for a space station with a centripetal habitation ring.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

The first attempt at a station used Infernal Robotics tall hinges to implement the angles, but I ran into problems with the hinges migrating from their attachment points. My second attempt used angled surface-mounted modular girders, but I ran into problems getting the docking ports to line up exactly with the spars connected to the hub. Finally, for this attempt, I built a single-piece circular frame to dock modules to. This was much easier to assemble in orbit, and looks pretty good.

The first attempt at a station used Infernal Robotics tall hinges to implement the angles, but I ran into problems with the hinges migrating from their attachment points. My second attempt used angled surface-mounted modular girders, but I ran into problems getting the docking ports to line up exactly with the spars connected to the hub. Finally, for this attempt, I built a single-piece circular frame to dock modules to. This was much easier to assemble in orbit, and looks pretty good.

Wow. This kinda stuff really inspires me. All I seem to do is make space stations but recently I've got into a rut of doing ISS-alikes. I should try doing interesting alternate ideas like this more often.

And for all the work of building the space station, the game charged me about 200K /f, awarded no science or reputation, and operating around it noticeably bogs down my computer:rolleyes:. Now I am going back and doing a bunch of contracts to rebuild my bank balance so I can do more interesting projects.

These are my space staions

http://i.imgur.com/5s1fm6W.png

This orbits over kerbin and acts as a steping stone to my mun colony

http://i.imgur.com/3BN9ZpQ.png

The mun liner departing with Jeb and 8 of his friends

http://i.imgur.com/iHRfmeS.png

Mun staion alpha orbiting 5km up after rendevous with munliner:D

[snip] thats close.Because some mountains rise above 5km...

Edited by Candlelight

My Fuel Station, under construction:

Fuel_Station_Construction.png

Have put it in Kerbin's orbit:

Fuel_Station_Night_In_Orbit.png

Mitler Kerman works 24/7 in this station. A view from his "desk". Looks really good, especially when some huge ship docks in this station (notice docking port on top).

Fuel_Station_View_From_Inside.png

Edited by Myslius

The other day I successfully deployed my new Station in a Tewb (which I completely redesigned for 0.90) as a Mun station. The only issue I've encountered so far is that the mini docking port for the lander is slightly too close to the hatch on the habitation module, causing KSP to claim that the Kerbals can't EVA. I've adjusted it in the VAB for future stations.

xJt0tp2.png

The entire station is designed to pack snugly within a 3.75-meter fairing and includes enough fuel to bring itself from orbit around Kerbin to the Mun or Minmus.

Edited by parameciumkid

The S.S. "Watford Gap" *

t2ypnTM.png

Lower = Fuel+loads of parking... sorry, docking . Middle= Canteen and restrooms. Top= The most important bit - the "Recovery, Autonomous Craft" (RAC) rescue probe. Fitted with Mechjeb and enough dV to rendezvous quickly with anything stranded in LKO and rescue 3 kerbals for safe re-entry or return to station.

In other words, I'm experimenting with spaceplanes :)

Probably not very clear in the pic is the number of fixed and extending ladders around the outside to make transfers between ship and station easily without lots of jetpacking around, which always makes me nervous!

* So named because, when you are going anywhere, it is a lot lower down than you think it is.

Finally - my first modular space station (my previous efforts were just labs with lander-cans attached) - the imaginatively named Kerbin One.

http://imgur.com/a/plzl1

I might borrow that idea with the radially docked fuel tank thing. It looks really funky and I've had some spare docking ports on the KSS Nye for a while now, they might as well have something like that chucked on to add aesthetics

The rather unexciting StarLab

fIGbNjd.png

Mass: 11t

Parts: 34

Height: 6.5m

Width: 2.7m

Length: 8.2m

Crew Capacity: 3 in standard operations, up to 6 if necessary.

Liquid Fuel:90 (the station is not fitted with an engine, so this is purely for the event a visiting ship doesn't have enough fuel.)

Monoprop Capacity: 300 (~160 remaining)

Scientific Capabilities: Gravity scanner x2 , Temperature scanner x2, Mystery Goo container x2, SC-9001 Materials Bay x1, Crew EVA capability, Laptop that still has "Y2K Safe" sticker for typing up crew reports.

Possibilities to make it more exciting currently being considered by Mission Control include pushing a StarLab into a Mun orbit, using it as the starting point of a larger station, or launching 3 more StarLabs, 1 with a multi-point-connector, and docking them all. This provides no additional scientific value, but might look cool.

My small StationScience station, Sunce 1. The first module had a bit of a Skylab moment, when the fairing destroyed one of the solar panels.

Expedition 2 approaching.

08F5D0117FAA1F38A0233FB7B373596B521159EE

Expedition 2 (right) and Expedition 1 (left). The damaged core can be seen at the bottom.

C196ECFC52FF79B8ABA790C3E15E1151811FB9DB

All in a heavily modded .90 career.