SPACE STATIONS! Post your pictures here

tsunam1

Just working my way back into the game again after being totally burned out for more than a few weeks, and to kick things off again, I've built my largest torus to date.

"What, another torus?!"

Yes, now shush and behold:

CGJVnwy.png

I've only docked that central lab/solar module along with a docking adaptor (not pictured), so it's still under construction, but the only real problem was the torus...

RTupXyc.png

...It required a rather, umm... Herculean set of boosters and struts to get it into orbit:

EnFVgQZ.png

The total crew capacity is 584, with 576 of those being in the ring itself (this count doesn't include the docked lab module, just the torus). I think, without the boosters and docked modules, the torus itself sits at 90 parts, which is pretty good for something of this size. When launching, however, it's somewhere over 400 parts, which isn't the worst it could possibly be, but it's definitely a downer. It's sturdy as granite on ascent, though, so that's nice :)

It just barely starts climbing upon liftoff, though, even with all those Mainsails and Mammoths pushing it up. At least it all works :P

My last orbital science grinder :

?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-format=jpeg&output-quality=95&fit=inside|1024:576

Required 8 launches to build, assembled in LKO, the station will probably stay there, even if it has engines and some fuel.

(In the picture there is a cargoship docked with 4 KIS containers, and the last stage of the core launcher is still attached at the bottom)

I know that a station with several labs is useless, but the labs are placed so they can be undocked, loaded with a science probe/ship, process the experiments, and re-docked to do the grinding. The labs can even be ditched and replaced if I run out of experiments to process.

Just got back to KSP after a long hiatus. I realized I had never built an orbiting Mun space station. Decided now was the time.

I'm just in the early stages, but I've got most of the layout planned. This is its current state after three launches.

dpGUU6i.jpg

Launch 1: Core, unmanned, plus decide on orbit. Went highly inclined at about 200km from Mun's surface.

Launch 2: 1st Habitat module. Design test, determined to push orbit higher (out to 300km) to make docking easier.

Launch 3: 2nd Habitat module plus space tug. The remote tug was designed with a docking port plus the ARM claw for attaching when not in use.

Launch 4 actually was completed late last night, and I forgot to save a screenshot. Launch 4 is the life support / power module.

Here is the project I'm currently working on, and hoping to finish tonight. This will be a shuttle that can bring kerbals all the way to the station. 32 passengers at a time. At least that's the hope. Currently having massive design issues.

OmUGCmY.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/CGJVnwy.png

I've only docked that central lab/solar module along with a docking adaptor (not pictured), so it's still under construction, but the only real problem was the torus...

http://i.imgur.com/RTupXyc.png

...It required a rather, umm... Herculean set of boosters and struts to get it into orbit:

http://i.imgur.com/EnFVgQZ.png

Mind = BLOWN!! :0.0:

Also - that is simply gorgeous! Love me some old-school torus stations.

(Cues up "Blue Danube Waltz". :) )

Edited by Logan.Darklighter
Music cue

Just working my way back into the game again after being totally burned out for more than a few weeks, and to kick things off again, I've built my largest torus to date.

Wow, I'm embarrassed to post this...

tWxbCDZ.png

Not only is it NOT Mk3 - I also used HyperEdit...

I was trying Mk3, but I just couldn't get it to like up right... How you managed it is beyond me... :D

Crew Capacity: 294

http://i.imgur.com/tWxbCDZ.png

I was trying Mk3, but I just couldn't get it to like up right... How you managed it is beyond me... :D

If its anything to you, I vastly prefer the appearance of Mk2 toruses over Mk3.

http://i.imgur.com/tWxbCDZ.png

Oi, don't be like that, you've got a good torus there! Yeah, putting them into orbit is a little tricky, but using something like I did for mine should yield results. Just use an ungodly amount of struts and you'll be fine :)

If its anything to you, I vastly prefer the appearance of Mk2 toruses over Mk3.

I guess it's a good thing I also build Mk2 toruses as well as this newer Mk3 model :P

Yes! I love watching her on the ISS, and she was returning to Earth right about the same time I launched the station, so I couldn't think of a better person to name it after.

Nice! I named a space station Scott Kelly...it burned up on reentry 3 days after launch (Don't ask what happened)

My Mk3 space station is taking shape. Still long hours ahead continuing to assemble. I've lost track of number of launches.

Tugs maneuvering a segment into place.

L9uUH9N.jpg

Here is where we stand currently.

uVxp3DR.jpg

I'm using emptied fuel tanks (emptied before launch) as living spaces. The windowed sections are also living spaces. The far lefthand arm is the power + life support module, again using hollowed spaces to "contain" all the "life-support" elements. Eight arms currently for living space. Using 16 kerbals per arm, that's room for 128 Kerbals. Plus 4 single-seat window pods, so technically 132 available seats.

Here's the first 32 kerbalnauts heading to the station.

6azIP1U.jpg

Stay tuned for more! I hope .... :)

Not really a station, but it's a Duna Orbiter being constructed in HKO. The name of the vessel is The Aurora, and currently has 2 modules: the core module (top), and the docking module (middle). Docked to the bottom is the 3-man Minotaur CTV. The Aurora, when completed, will have 8 modules, plus the Minotaur on the end.

P6zk2SC.png

Here is my latest replica of the ISS using Tantares, CxAerospace, Ven Stock Revamp, and KIS parts mostly. I used a LOT of part welding as the current station sits at about 87 parts with both spacecraft docked

Without part welding this would be ~600 parts or so

Descriptions in the album below:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

02GKlkm.png

KzZ8GMx.png

hRJEjOD.png

K8zhMVf.png

1nHDpEM.png

This is a WIP still as I am waiting for CxAerospace to release more parts to expand my American Segment and create the station. Up next is the Pirs, Poisk, and Rassvet Modules

Descriptions in the album above

Here is an update to my ISS build! I wanted to specifically show off the Pirs/Poisk modules made possible from tantares. Current part count is at 120 parts.

Check the album for descriptions and details!

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Big photos ;)

rGo5eG3.png

ZkLorfL.png

iFQ7jHI.png

C1hiXh5.png

Bmwjn0f.png

ecVw9W4.png

WK2LZRl.png

eMOfaDl.png

xfMNb5H.png

1I2Foq7.png

Thank you tantares!!!!

EDIT: I just realized the station has a typo in its name :sticktongue:

Mun Orbital Cube Base is complete! (... for now ... :sticktongue:)

1st Image: Overview

Base is highly inclined around the Mun. This caused each launch to need about 250 m/s more delta-V in order to match inclination, but well worth the trouble to ensure nearly all of the Mun is now accessible from the base.

KeyAjJL.jpg

And here she is!

ylEze4H.jpg

2ioZxAZ.jpg

Finally, a shot showing some of the resources onboard. Mostly, these represent lifesupport and science gear and such. I'm completely stock except for Kerbal Engineer.

YKd5mX4.jpg

:)

Hope you like.

((edit))

Space for 180 Kerbals in comfort.

Edited by mellojoe

Here is my latest replica of the ISS using Tantares, CxAerospace, Ven Stock Revamp, and KIS parts mostly. I used a LOT of part welding as the current station sits at about 87 parts with both spacecraft docked

Without part welding this would be ~600 parts or so

Descriptions in the album below:

http://imgur.com/a/wExVm

What version of the part welder are you using? Last time I tried, it didnt seem to work with 1.04.