SPACE STATIONS! Post your pictures here

tsunam1

5 minutes ago, Kerbal Nerd123 said:

Dude, I'm having a FREAKIN' headache when I try to dock stuff I even can't dock ships that are only about 20-10 meters  can anyone help me how to dock and stuff

What manner of a problem are you having? Is it just alignment?

Have you checked the tutorials on the Wiki and Forums?

If you are having trouble eyeing alignment between the ports, mods like Docking Port Alignment Indicator can be of help.

There are many, many tutorials on YouTube as well. You can try to search up some yourself. Have you tried Scott Manley's tutorial?

I hope this is of some help.

Edited by SyzygyΣE

1 minute ago, SyzygyΣE said:

What manner of a problem are you having? Rendezvous? Alignment?

If you are having trouble eyeing alignment between the ports, mods like Docking Port Alignment Indicator can be of help.

There are many, many tutorials on YouTube as well. You can try to search up some yourself. Have you tried Scott Manley's tutorial?

Dude I watched a lot of tutorials still i can't get it I'm really horrible at alignment and the rendezvous orbit thing when I try to dock close stuff like the Apollo 11 lander, I even target it's docking port and I still can't dock ANYTHING 

7 minutes ago, Kerbal Nerd123 said:

Dude I watched a lot of tutorials still i can't get it I'm really horrible at alignment and the rendezvous orbit thing when I try to dock close stuff like the Apollo 11 lander, I even target it's docking port and I still can't dock ANYTHING 

Eyeing alignment can be a bit of a pain. After you've played the game for a while it usually gets better but the learning curve is pretty steep. Have you tried any mods that help with alignment as I had suggested? Mods like MechJeb can dock for you and automate the entire process, but I don't recommend it if you don't yet understand the theory behind how it's done. If you really feel stuck, however, then nothing is stopping you from getting that mod.

If you are looking for responses from a greater number of experts at the game and let more people see this question you've raised, I suggest you move this issue to the Gameplay Questions and Tutorials sub-forum. This thread right here isn't really for discussions of tutorials on how to dock. More help is available if you post your concerns at the right location.

Edited by SyzygyΣE

48 minutes ago, Kerbal Nerd123 said:

Actually Docking is quite easy. Once you get close, rotate the target until it's docking port is pointed at the spacecraft that is docking to it. Then do really small RCS burns so your prograde marker is aligned with your target marker and also make sure your going at speeds less than 0.3 m/s. Once you get within about 5m, the docking ports will shoot towards each other. All you need is patience.

Damn, @Red Dwarf's station looks amazing. I'm more pragmatic in that matter, after building many stations with hours upon hours of tweaking, multiple launches over and over the last 5 years in KSP I went back to simple designs, I wanted to put stations into different orbits for refueling purposes but also to house some Kerbals and process science. I came up with a one-launch Space station that houses 23 Kerbals, has 2 big Kerbodyne (S3-14400) tanks and is able to move its position if needed but also can be complete stationary (as in "station") if you drop the engines. Also It works for most space station contracts (it's too expensive if you just want to finish the contracts though, I recycled all my stations and kept them in use).

Here is one in Ike orbit:

CEFE1F45D7DFB2A29B69A78B84942D964997B806

A6D432099D0E79610E9AA28C8911A81364B0A117

Here's the complete launche vehicle:

9E70485AA92F0F8C1A5366C9E87076E461DDCF85

And since it's a one launch only station I can provide the craft file.

As I said, it's not beautiful but it's practical :)

Edited by Broco

14 hours ago, Kerbal Nerd123 said:

my most solid tip is to click your RCS ports and select actuation toggles and turn of pitch yaw and roll. then you can rotate your craft without changing your speed. and then use the translation controls to get your prograde marker to the target marker.

with this method you can have a horrible RCS setup on your craft and you can still dock bulky misshaped things    

Man, my stations aren't half so pretty.  They're cylinders which accumulate tanks and engines as return vehicles are docked and de-crewed, added onto organically as contracts invite me to.

hammerhead-station.jpg

The part with the return-vehicle sticking out is my old-style, with the tracking panels.  I like those arrangements of big flat panels much better, less of that sticking-out-into-space nonsense.  Vehicles can stick out, panels shouldn't, too easy to hit.

Edited by Corona688

On 8/2/2016 at 11:25 AM, SyzygyΣE said:

What manner of a problem are you having? Is it just alignment?

Totally unrelated to everything but why do you have the lorem ipsum typeset as a sig.

On 7/26/2016 at 1:27 PM, ScriptKitt3h said:

WvtsvkP.png

PqqPB3c.png

eTvqGWu.png

The yet-to-be completed Installation 01-K. Each cargo bay has 2 ASAS units, 2.5m probe cores (for redundancy and power storage), and 2.5 meter docking ports.

At this rate, Installation 02's going to be much, much larger. (Might need to get the VAB/Hangar extender mod to build it though. :P)

That Sun looks very different. Is that a mod? Even the lighting on the planet seems significantly smoother.

4 hours ago, Der Anfang said:

That Sun looks very different. Is that a mod? Even the lighting on the planet seems significantly smoother.

It's Scatterer, which improves the shaders and other bits in the graphical department. However, the modded effects don't show-up (or at least not fully) in map-view from your ship, but do show in real-time view.

Snagged a pretty shot after a couple of the taxis docked (most of the flash parts either USI Kolonization/Life Support or Near Future Solar):

0Dj1juR.jpg

As daft as it is I think I'm most proud of those little taxi shuttles, always seems the smallest craft require the most thought and refining, they're doing sterling work now ferrying tourists & crew between the Kerbin system stations.

Anyway, the whole kaboodle was launched in one shot (who needs streamlining when you have boosters?) in the video below (I think the series also has those little system shuttles & other bits of Kerbin system infrastructure)

My first two proper attempts at statons:

MIDGARD-1 Permanently manned Kerbin Orbital Station. designed for a little Scienceing and Crew rotation stopover for the yet to be commenced MIDGARD-3 (a planned Minmus orbital station)

ZJKQGB3.jpg

Build gallery here: http://imgur.com/a/xuilS

And this is MIDGARD-2, a temporarily manned Mun orbital, science station. it still has its lander attached in 'delivery' configuration, the ducking and auxiliary arms still have their delivery stages attached as there was a great deal of surplus LFO. Presently the TYR-Mn001 mission crew is embarked and you can see their return vehicle docked to the station.

3MKA73m.jpg

Edited by steedcrugeon
typos

Working my way through the Historical Contracts Mod.  Last night I worked on Skylab.  Only I didn’t lose a solar panel during launch like the real one did. Even used Infernal Robotics to pivot the Apollo Telescope into place while in orbit.  

ez23rRM.jpg

7 hours ago, Fat Gordy said:

Working my way through the Historical Contracts Mod.  Last night I worked on Skylab.  Only I didn’t lose a solar panel during launch like the real one did. Even used Infernal Robotics to pivot the Apollo Telescope into place while in orbit.  

ez23rRM.jpg

Great Job! Is it dry workshop and everything?