SPACE STATIONS! Post your pictures here

tsunam1

On 8/4/2016 at 10:40 AM, Corona688 said:

Man, my stations aren't half so pretty.  They're cylinders which accumulate tanks and engines as return vehicles are docked and de-crewed, added onto organically as contracts invite me to.

Looks way better than anything I have in orbit, which is nothing. :D  Inspirational work @Corona688

45 minutes ago, Haruspex said:

Just a basic Munar orbital outpost. Also known as Bob's Bar and Grill.

I see an ISRU up there, could you explain a bit more about the scheme you've got going on?

I like that craft you've got docked below, too.

Edited by Corona688

8 hours ago, Corona688 said:

I see an ISRU up there, could you explain a bit more about the scheme you've got going on?

I like that craft you've got docked below, too.

Scheme? Well, nothing interesting really. above that ISRU are two large ore tanks. On demand - when a ship docks at the depot to refuel - a simple automated mining rig (2x drill, 4x fuel tank, 4x ore tank, 4x Poodle)  lauches from the Mun and delivers ore to the depot, where it is processed. I have those science and refueling stations both at Mun and Minmus.

Edited by Haruspex

Just recently built the Shenron II Space Station! 7 launches to date, all the pieces named after Z-Fighters :) for example, the second to last flight was the Bulma Science Lab, shown with Inflatable habitat deflated. Pretty proud of this, although after putting the screenshots together i realized the...uh...Kerbals missed a docking port on one of the multi-port structures, how embarrassing! The plan now is to put abbreviated versions of these into orbit around the Moons of Kerbin,or at least Minmus and then to Ike and Eve. May put another level on the end with the multi-port, but for now the plan was just to have the main docking station away from the solar panels.  Felt like putting this post up because I recently de-orbited my first station, Shenron I, and it was one of those moments that made me realize how far I've come with this game and how rewarding it can be. Thanks for reading!

Shenron I:

XhLaakI.png

Shenron II:

csrNywO.png

CiazL33.png

4zTr4uV.png

Edited by AstroBovice

Soyuz derived Type-04B神 (Kami/Divine) Crew transfer vehicle on its way to rendezvous and dock with the Hinode (日の出) space station. After succesfull docking the Hinode station is preforming a few basic manouvers like station keeping and angular position which are vital for comunication, maintaining altitude and cooling of the exposed sides in relation to the sun.

But a couple of massive design flaws related to the hydrazine engines and station antennas, the station was only in orbit for no long then 3 months and 13 days, being decommisioned and ultimated deorbited and burned up in the atmosphere 3 days later.

5WKuV7v.jpg

Type-04B神 on its way to the 日の出 space station, which is 3 hours ahead of the spacecraft.

xou3SiO.jpg

5 minutes before calling A visual on the spacestation, only then it can start it's 90 minute(approx) proximity approach.

U02nDTh.jpg

After preforming a so called "R-bar"approach, to get close to the station from a lower orbit, the spacecraft turns 180 degrees and initiated a "V-bar" approach to let the station close in while the spacecraft corrects its angle relative to the docking port before docking.

dQHuTnk.jpg

OBM7, Or just mission #7, where they test new science hardware, along with installing a upgrade on climate control

f2nbuvr.jpg

OBM11, The last mission, 2 hours and 3 minutes before having to initiate an emergency escape after life support failed to work correctly.

Edited by Pointblank66

Skylab station, in KSP 1.2 (Build 1509). Built with MOLE parts:

8ddR3x8.png

A launch accident involving the payload shroud resulted in a loss of one of the panels on the Solar Observatory.

Contrast this with the Kebolab from two years ago:

xpqdPWk.png

Big difference! :)

Edited by Angel-125

DFEA4CAD0C0EEF82E7CA05508CE5CE2969C1AB50

The two things on the left connected to jr docking ports are the two craft I experimented with docking for the first time years ago.  It was such an achievement I couldnt see them just deorbitted so I added them to the station as small fuel containers.  the rest of the station is an unplanned mess.  I keep meaing to add proper modules to it.

My RSS career bus-depot at 3000km altitude. I've nearly unlocked the entire tech tree (using CTT which has nodes up to 10K science) where I use the station as a hub to receive tourists/crews from earth and transfer them into interplanetary craft to shuttle them to their destinations. Earth to Station travel uses mainly Ares I rockets with the Orion CM/SM and some resupply items attached. Interplanetary craft all use high-Isp electrical engines, going from the traditional disposal craft to a more expensive re-usable ship (no parts jettisoned at anytime from start to finish of the mission). The station was around 2.2M funds without the Xenon tanks filled, each shuttle is around 600K funds. That's a lot of tourist contracts :)

station_000.jpg
Left end has the Engineering hab next to the Nuclear Fuel refinery to reprocess spent reactor fuel, followed by Xenon and MonoProp tanks for refueling
returning shuttles. Right now three Orions are docked waiting for their passengers to return from contract missions.

station_001.jpg
View from a different angle showing the solar panels and large active radiators.The central hub of the spinning toroidal hab on the right.

station_002.jpg
The science end of the station with a DOS science lab to process any data that is returned from missions and a better view of the toroidal hab.

station_003.jpg|
The station in all it's glory.

station_004.jpg
All shuttles docked and ready to send 24 pesky tourists back into the atmosphere, screaming for their lives and hoping Jeb didn't skimp on the ablator, to rake in those Funds™

Mods used:
- SSTU (toroid, Orions, hab, docking ports and science lab)
- Near Future Construction (frame/tanks).
- Near Future Propulsion (Plasma shuttle engines)
- Near Future Electrical (fusion reactor, nuclear fuel processor)
- Heat Control (radiators)
- KerbodynePlus (larg ISS solar panels, shuttle landing legs)
- Procedural Parts (gold Xenon tanks)
- Coatl Probes+ (small solar panels on shuttles)

Edited by Jimbodiah

A crew hub, built largely with Mk2 Stockalike Expansion. The cupola is from Mk3 Stockalike expansion and the inline solar panels are Mk2 Solar Batteries, an oldie but goodie mod. This station holds roughly 20+ kerbals and has a 5m support tank to refuel passing vessels. A few inline docking ports allow very small ships to sit and share the station's orientation when docked. Closely associated are the Nosebleed Shuttle SSTO for the planetside route and the Saucer Shuttle which lands and returns from both moons.

QSkeY1c.jpg

vZ60Lsg.jpg

9mSGy8X.jpg

Not as big and impressive as many stations in the thread, but here is KOSTAR, which I assembled in Mun orbit for the Grand Orbital Space Station Challenge.

Docking the last of the arm sections

DdV0uBJ.jpg

Taking an EVA tour

1upL536.jpg

Taking one of the Mun mini landers for a test run

TAOW55F.jpg

View from afar

RFVGyLB.jpg

View of where it came from

kSdbzqz.jpg

I also made a sort of documentary style video about it (well the launch of the first couple of components anyway).

On 9/21/2016 at 7:46 PM, Angel-125 said:

Skylab station, in KSP 1.2 (Build 1509). Built with MOLE parts:

8ddR3x8.png

Nice.

I somehow forgot about the Skylab.

I like the simpler version. When I first saw the image I thought the assimmetry was on purpose to reproduce the original's problems. But then it was one of the side panels. Still. Very nice.

ME