SPACE STATIONS! Post your pictures here

tsunam1

2 hours ago, BogusDionysus48 said:

Is there an end to the madness of space stations

I have a small space station, holding 3 orange tanks and one giant tank. I have 2 escape pods on with 3 crew capacity each. It has claws and docking ports and is currently holding the first asteroid I found, a purple one. One research lab. I have no real use for it. I look a it and I sometimes use it as a refueling station (I have a giant asteroid miner that I keep landed in Minmus which holds ridiculous amounts of fuel) and I bring it and refuel the station every how and then. But I have to wonder if there is any real purpose of having a space station? I rather use small comm sats that can do some science and send them to other planets. It barely serves any other purpose. Maybe they need a gameplay rework?

Edited by mystik

The Kerbin International Space Station is still being built - currently missing the centrifuge expansion and the greenhouse expansion.

Gmd80ER.jpg

It's coming along nicely, but my space program ran out of money... Luckily some investors with deep pockets were willing to pay very well for us to put up a new Mun station. We decided to launch the Kubble Space Station in one go. This is the largest launch I've ever attempted in 6.4x scale KSP. No Kebal lives were risked on this launch, the mission was fully automated with kOS.

Edited by MalevolentNinja

3 hours ago, eloquentJane said:

Few people ever seem to consider "fun" to be a good enough purpose for things in this game.

Fun is subjective. Fun for me is to optimize my ships to be as light as possible and visit other planets. Putting a big hunk of metal in space that costs a fortune and does very little is not that fun. I play career mode. No freebies. With the money I spent on my station (1 mil) I could have launched another Dres-Eeloo Sat, which can mine the crap out of biomes. Fully autonomous and ridiculously expensive. 15000 dv and RTG powered. That seems more fun to me. Plus, they carry the huge relay antenna so it builds Kerbnet for my upcoming Grand Tour. See? That's fun.

Edited by mystik

5 hours ago, mystik said:

I have a small space station, holding 3 orange tanks and one giant tank. I have 2 escape pods on with 3 crew capacity each. It has claws and docking ports and is currently holding the first asteroid I found, a purple one. One research lab. I have no real use for it. I look a it and I sometimes use it as a refueling station (I have a giant asteroid miner that I keep landed in Minmus which holds ridiculous amounts of fuel) and I bring it and refuel the station every how and then. But I have to wonder if there is any real purpose of having a space station? I rather use small comm sats that can do some science and send them to other planets. It barely serves any other purpose. Maybe they need a gameplay rework?

That is impressive considering I can't even dock something in orbit.

I just realized you called that orbital station you have "small" I would beg to differ lol 

10 hours ago, BogusDionysus48 said:

That is impressive considering I can't even dock something in orbit.

I just realized you called that orbital station you have "small" I would beg to differ lol 

Play the tutorials. They teach you how to dock very well. I learned how to dock without RCS but I can only do it with small ships and advanced flight systems. It's easy once you get used to orbital mechanics. Practice often with small craft. Circularize your orbit. Then wait for a good time to plan a maneuver. It's easier to do if you're on a higher orbit and coming lower to dock. But that may be a preference. If you can, set your targe to "ANTITARGET" and your ship to "TARGET". Slow down to 0. Once the ships are alligned and very close, give them a 0.1 push, just in case you miss so that you don't break something. Each docking port will track the other and it should connect easily and no RCS was needed. With RCS is even easier, but you need to play the tutorial to understand what to look for in your targeting, to understand what to look for.

Edited by mystik

5 hours ago, mystik said:

Play the tutorials. They teach you how to dock very well. I learned how to dock without RCS but I can only do it with small ships and advanced flight systems. It's easy once you get used to orbital mechanics. Practice often with small craft. Circularize your orbit. Then wait for a good time to plan a maneuver. It's easier to do if you're on a higher orbit and coming lower to dock. But that may be a preference. If you can, set your targe to "ANTITARGET" and your ship to "TARGET". Slow down to 0. Once the ships are alligned and very close, give them a 0.1 push, just in case you miss so that you don't break something. Each docking port will track the other and it should connect easily and no RCS was needed. With RCS is even easier, but you need to play the tutorial to understand what to look for in your targeting, to understand what to look for.

Thanks I'll do that later today

My super modular station after its 3rd extension was inserted, all stock:

Allows docking of up to 6 major components, 12 Medium, and 12 Small craft. You may notice a couple of crew return vessels are already docked. Color coded ports for docking guidance, blue is for large, green medium, red probe sized.

Edited by Maelstrom Vortex

I've been making a 100% stock replica of the ISS. I've got the Integrated Truss Assembly mostly finished, but still adjusting the P1/S1 trusses. I've got a WIP mobile transporter on the S0 that detaches and "travels" along the rail with RCS. You can see the Destiny module (carrying the Truss Assembly), and the Z1 truss that is on the Unity module. The craft shown is a little over 1300 parts. I was getting about 15 fps.

Not shown, but I've got the Zarya and Zvezda modules done, as well as a Soyuz spacecraft, and the Space Shuttle and Proton K launchers.

For playability, when I launch this stuff, I'll be using the Part Weld mod to reduce part count. The solar arrays are a hefty amount because of the cubic struts used for the look. 

1LUs84p.jpg

I am practicing to build space stations.

This is the one I am building right now (currently sandbox)

kspstation8jxzkvswlq.png

It currently has two of my "Ares" pods and a cargo pod docked to it. Every module has its own control, propulsion and solar panels.
The "Ares" pods have enough delta-v to get to the moon. I plan to put a big solar array on it and I am trying to build a shuttle (for payloads without their own propulsion).

I hope I expressed myself in a proper manner as english isn't my mothertounge :)

here is my first successful space station, It is only a single launch one, but I'm proud of it. its controlled by a HECS2, has two docking ports (one at the front and one at the back, between the thrusters) and has room for two kerbals in its science lab. it is completely stock.

currently, it has one of my Cosmos II Orbiters docked to it. I also designed a disposable experiment ship capable of docking with it to increase the amount of orbital science gainedWOwmSWE.png

had a space station.

I did a deorbit test (yes like skylab and how it deorbited) but forgot to save;.; 

11 hours ago, CrazyCanuck said:

here is my first successful space station, It is only a single launch one, but I'm proud of it. its controlled by a HECS2, has two docking ports (one at the front and one at the back, between the thrusters) and has room for two kerbals in its science lab. it is completely stock.

currently, it has one of my Cosmos II Orbiters docked to it. I also designed a disposable experiment ship capable of docking with it to increase the amount of orbital science gainedWOwmSWE.png

that is a cute space station

Dear all users

Check out the most realistic reconstruction of the International Space Station in Real Solar System. It's an all in one video, contains the entire assembly sequence based on actual manuals of the construction of the real ISS from NASA!

Its on this link on my Al2O3 channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSLV-pzqUp0

On 2/27/2017 at 8:36 AM, mystik said:

(Snip) ...But I have to wonder if there is any real purpose of having a space station? I rather use small comm sats that can do some science and send them to other planets. It barely serves any other purpose. Maybe they need a gameplay rework?

I role play a lot in this game. My present and future station(s) are used for all the things you mentioned- but I also will have staff that will need to be rotated back "home", supply runs that will bring the nessesary goods, etc so it becomes more alive. There are mods that help immerse the experience too. Like dangit, parts can break which means you should do maintenance as well. Very fun and purposeful. 

On 3/7/2017 at 0:09 PM, Aluminum Oxide said:

Dear all users

Check out the most realistic reconstruction of the International Space Station in Real Solar System. It's an all in one video, contains the entire assembly sequence based on actual manuals of the construction of the real ISS from NASA!

Its on this link on my Al2O3 channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSLV-pzqUp0

Unreal. This is my new favorite KSP video, just so damn epic.

I feel I am still in the early stages of my first 'proper' career. I have 2-man landers for science at the Mun and Minmus, but, other than that I have no infrastructure. No stations, no mining (I need to upgrade R&D to be able to unlock that), no science labs, nothing. Until I assembled OBL-K at Kerbin, spurred on by a contract for a 6-kerbal station. Holds up to 6 kerbals (unless you want to put them in the airlock or cupola to sleep, that is), has a science lab and a solar/communications array to support it. Oh, and launched by fully reusable boosters (not included in the album).

Here is the album: http://imgur.com/a/Pk2oS

BTW, this is my first post, I hope you like it :). Before long I will have a vehicle to transfer other modules to the Mun/Minmus for assembly.

Got the lifter album done, in the VAB, no flight pictures (yet): http://imgur.com/gallery/tUYww

Edited by Skylon
Made an album for my reusable lifters