SPACE STATIONS! Post your pictures here

tsunam1

• 3 weeks later...

My biggest yet : The Mun Gateway. 390ish parts and it's not even done yet (lacking LF pods and landers). Pretty proud of it but goddamn does my computer not like it (even with an overclocked 8700K and a 1080 Ti, I still get around 15 frames)

AsI2NEu.jpg

Edited by OrbitalBuzzsaw

screenshot95.png

Welcome to Hubworld station, also known as EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

It has every facility known to Kerbalkind. Science labs, Cupola views, Large habitat space - slaps station this baby can hold so many kerbals in it (484 to be precise), large fuel volumes (~4.5 Kilotons of LFO, 4.8 kilotons of total fuel supplies, including Xenon and Monoprop), numerous docking ports of every size and shape, including klaws for those who left their docking port at home, and plenty of power thanks to those massive solar arrays.

Thought I'd post all of mine in one spot

Unity Station : LKO (150km equatorial)

OUKjIom.jpg

Specs :

Mass 110,290kg with Alyrna space shuttle (bottom of image)

Part Count :  276 with shuttle

Fuel Storage : 3/4 orange tank plus 4800 Liquid Fuel

Crew : Permanent Crew 3, Operational Capacity 10, Theoretical Capacity 15 + 6 seats in shuttle

Could do with more hab space. Will need expanding.

Polar Monitor : 250KM Kerbin Polar Orbit

lltWgS2.jpg

Specs :

Mass : 23, 790kg

Part Count : 41

Crew : Permanent Crew 0, Operational Capacity 8, Theoretical Capacity 8

Probably won't see any expansion anytime soon since the only reason it exists is to have a cool looking survey satellite.

Mun Gateway : 50KM equatorial Mun orbit

3DQ5GBq.jpg

Specs :

Mass : 186,320kg

Parts : 526 with all attached spacecraft (lander, transfer vehicle, and escape pod)

Crew : Permanent Crew 6, Operational Capacity 24, Theoretical Capacity 32 + 7 + 4 + 6 (spacecraft seats)

Fuel Storage : 1.5x Orange Tank plus refinery capability

Needs LiquidFuel storage pods. Due for expansion soon

Mun Polar Station : 80KM Polar Mun Orbit

1SY2kH0.jpg

Specs :

Mass : 8,820kg

Part Count : 31

Crew : Permanent Crew 0, Operational Capacity 6, Theoretical Capacity 6

Really serves no purpose , but good to have for... reasons (I like stations damn it)

Minmus Gateway : 30KM Equatorial Minmus Orbit

UODs2fh.jpg

Specs :

Mass : 46,850kg

Parts : 173

Crew Capacity : Permanent Crew 3 (as yet unmanned since it's a relatively new installation - new save since my old one did the ded), Operational Capacity 12, Theoretical Capacity 21

Fuel Storage : 1/2 Orange Tank

Due for expansion : Replace small boi side hab modules, add dedicated LF pods + more fuel in general

But I'm not done yet : Coming soon in order of soonness

Asteroid On-Site Observatory (320KM MKO) around a Class C asterioid as soon as the Chrysaor comes back with one (coming into the Kerbin system in 11d, rendevous in 25)

Minmus Polar Station (15KM polar)

Duna Gateway

Dres Asteroid Orbital Base

Eve Station

Coming less soon :

Gilly Station

Ike Station

Laythe Gateway

And just for fun a shot of my (incomplete) Mun base in the East Crater

bqlm0Kg.png

This is old one, created in KSP 1.3.1. with bunch of mods, including USI MKS/OKS and life support system as well as KIS/KAS and welding dock ports.

ajjIdIX.png

It still wait for reaching maneuver node for fine tuning intercept trajectory for Duna orbit. Unfortunately real life prevented me to continue that career game.
It might look weird, but it is almost perfectly balanced for COM. Have bunch of docking ports to connect smaller probes as well as medium crafts with junior sized docking ports. Reason why it does not have any large docking ports is that my Kerbals didn't invented it yet.

Crafts used in that mission was looking odd, but it was created with being cheap as possible and within limits of VAB/Launchpad. First, I created whole SS in VAB:

wW0ZhCt.jpg

After that, separated pieces to create assembly that would be lifted one at time to LKO. First, the central core part with lifter:

O2NWOuz.jpg

Once it was in stable orbit, additional 4 pieces are connected to center with welding docking ports:

AbwUWfQ.jpg

After that, final 4 pieces for outher part of central point of SS:

WdfRVyg.jpg

After each launch, lifter was returned to Kerbin with minimum amount of fuel. As much as possible was left at SS fuel tanks. When everything is assembled, few more launch were necessary to fill up fuel. And yes, it was pushed with other thug into esceape trajectory, leaving it only with one engine and just enough fuel for maneuver and final breaking to establish Duna orbit.

In my 1.4.5 career, i'm currently using a design inspired by the SLS-derived dry-hab for both my Mun and Minmus stations.

Spoiler

00531300.JPG

https://www.spaceflightinsider.com/organizations/nasa/marshall-space-flight-center-martian-media-tour/
https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/20140012883.pdf
https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/20150016185.pdf

Basically, the station core is simply using the large command module and large deep-space laboratory of Stockalike Station Part Expansion Redux, with solar panels, a cupola, 3 docking ports and a bit of monoprop.
Are fixed on this core the landers and the transfer stages that are standardized and bring fuel for Mün / Minmus surface operations (one transfer stage brings enough fuel for several missions to the surface). When nearly empty the transfer stage are sent back to Kerbin where they are recovered. The transfer stage are themselves equipped with 3 docking ports allowing them to dock and receive other vessels.

I'm currently looking to expand, possibly with a node, the number of landers (manned and unmanned) that can be fixed on it, because I now have mobile laboratory at the surface and I developed a 5-crew lander (see below), but i don't know where to put such node to make it easy of access for the landers.

Large view with 3 additional transfer stages and a monoprop tug docked:
1557677547-screenshot101.png

Core view with the large science lander:
1557677546-screenshot100.png

View from the other side with the submarine lander (2 seat lander with late unlocked experiments):
1557677550-screenshot102.png

Future 5-crew lander (mk2 cabin and SSPE cupola were best compromise in weight for a 5 crew lander, because the cupola is overly light) :

Spoiler

1557678267-screenshot103.png

Yeah.. about space stations, I've just begun making them.
unknown.png?width=1121&height=631
My first space station that i started making today.
I'm planning on growing this space station into a massive city like the one in Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets.

It's growing everyday...

unknown.png?width=1121&height=631

Edited by fruitsbar

12 hours ago, RedSun Rocketry said:

you must REALLY want to kill your computer if something even a thousandth the size of that city

Alright fine, maybe just a big space port. But really, don't let my dreams down smh >:(

Been going somewhat crazy with space stations since my first post. This one is built using USI Konstruction docking ports, Near Future mods and Station Parts Expansion Redux. At 40 degree orbit at 1700km and crewed by 15 Kerbals with space for 133 excluding the transfer ships.

20190521193846_1.jpg

Different angle.

20190521193900_1.jpg

Robot arm extended, built with Infernal Robotics, but will redesigned if/when I get the new expansion DLC.

20190521195227_1.jpg

No download unfortunate, has been assembled in 27 launches with small segments built each time, no overall model done first.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...