SPACE STATIONS! Post your pictures here

tsunam1

1 hour ago, RealKerbal3x said:

@The Doodling Astronaut Your station reminds me of Mir, with all of those solar panels sticking everywhere :D

Yeah it kinda does... IDK maybe I will add more modules and make it look like a space station from an undecided movie

On 4/19/2013 at 10:06 PM, RenoLibertine said:

j_l_m_p_s_s__mk2__zeus__by_vegaslibertine-d62b3bi.png

This's my baby, the J.L.M.P.S.S. Mk2 (Jeb-Lifted Multi-Purpose Space Station), or Zeus for short. I suppose this's also kinda my introduction to the forums as well...don't remember ever posting anything before. So um...hello, awesome KSP community whom I've been creepily lurking around and watching forever! Full description and lotsa shiny pics can be found here. ----> http://vegaslibertine.deviantart.com/gallery/43263624

Holy cow!!! Why do you need so many solar panels, I could charge my tablet (A piece of junk, not very good, takes 12 hours to fully charge) with that.

On 30. Juni 2019 at 4:33 PM, Mikenike said:

Holy cow!!! Why do you need so many solar panels, I could charge my tablet (A piece of junk, not very good, takes 12 hours to fully charge) with that.

That is, what i ask myself in general, without wanting to hurt or judge anyone. Going through these pages mostly show somewhat weird mass collections of solar arrays.

I wish solar panels (and modules itself) would generate heat, so radiators would be essential for building space stations and larger spacecraft. Should be an optional gameplay feature for the difficulty settings, just like the already present re-entry heat and comm requirements.

And to contribute to the thread, here is my latest weird mass collection of solar arrays :P

buZuTij.jpg

gTnqro3.jpg

JKRIfsp.jpg

13 hours ago, Frank_G said:

That is, what i ask myself in general, without wanting to hurt or judge anyone. Going through these pages mostly show somewhat weird mass collections of solar arrays.

Maybe because of the real ISS?

• 2 weeks later...

Adria Space Station

The Adria Space Station is a transit center for the turists who arrived from the Kerbin. The Siren fleet is waiting there for the kerbals to take them to their destination.

329M06Q.png

Edited by AG-ch

Here's a station called Incolatus that I put into a 100x100 LKO in my newest sandbox game (yes, the inexplicable lack of a top-left solar panel irks me too — I have no idea what happened to it):

Screen-Shot-2019-07-15-at-6-31-31-PM.png

Currently, Incolatus has room for 24 Kerbals. It also has 4 Clamp-o-Tron Jrs. and a whopping 14 regular Clamp-o-Trons: 8 in the upper section and 6 in the lower section (4 of them are inline, so it's hard to notice them). The station is currently quite useless, though I am planning to add a refueling depot and maybe some tiny escape pods.

The practically named Space Factory has grown over its lifetime.

Here it is as a pre-launch baby.

NlTcy7Y.png

And a swiftly growing teen.

uR8eJxQ.png

And I suspect this is its full grown form.

6gO5ibF.png

The program is outgrowing the need for a ground-supplied station, and will soon begin a Mun-based mining and production base.

My first major space station of this newest career game, courtesy of the beautiful work of @CobaltWolf and the BDB mod:

670D1D79AB273CDFE84450A36902E9FE17080EB8

My second, and so far most extensive station ever developed in KSP thus far, the Hubris II, this time courtesy of @Nertea.  I can count on one hand how many of these unique parts are from stock.  Comes with one orbital tug, a mini-lander, and a fuel supply station:

CAB66C1ABFD6ADB4657B94E677D84378583CB80B

And now, the most recent addition to the collective,  Line Item:

AE94307DAA17AC7630532D3F306B14AB514571A9

HADES STATION

Q6Hu2LA.jpg

It took nine launches (ten if you count the return pod) to finish, but it's finally complete. Positioned 125 km above Eeloo's surface, it's got:

• 2 labs
  • +150K worth of electric charge
    • Thanks to the I.B.B. (Insanely Big Battery)
  • Thousands of units worth of liquid fuel, oxidizer, and monopropellant in reserve
  • ~430G relay power
  • A lot of docking ports of varying sizes
  • 44 Kerbal capacity
  • 3,000 ore capacity
    • And a convert-o-tron 250 and thermal control systems

What do you all think?

I've notated its construction in another thread, but I present the Object Not Referenced:

47D0F8A1B2CD351BDFCDD058A1C634B088C4B89F

A modular space station making liberal use of Habtech2 and Stockalike Station components, the Object Not Referenced is also inspired by the Lunar Gateway proposals, and Lockheed-Martin's proposal in particular.  It contains a cryogenic fuel (H2/Ox), laboratory, EVA airlock, station command and habitation modules.

In my career save, I had a contract to build a space station in orbit of Jool that could hold at least 5 people and had ISRU capabilities. I then modified the U.S.S. Enterprise-D station craft file to save delta-V and install MULTIPLE ISRU converters - and radiators and more batteries. 

Ladies and gentlemen of the KSP Forums, I present the U.S.S Hera.

xpZq6oc.jpg

I placed it in between Bop and Pol since they're the easiest moons to get on and off of. Once I send an ore transport unit on its way to Jool... let's face it, nothing says "I really want this celestial body" like an ore transport paired with an ISRU-capable station in orbit.

• 2 weeks later...

Icarus Station. Room for 309 (current crew ~150), every science pod I have, massive resources, Construction assembly line plus 6 workshops, 3kEC or so in solar panels and 8 reactors, because 6 wasn't enough overkill.

It's in a 750k orbit in a 2.5x JNSQ game, which made it much harder as you need 4900dv for KEO at 2.5x. Many launches >25k tons, largest was 40k tons. Final station is 3471 tons. And every piece was docked manually since using MJ is not hard enough :)

Oh, and this game is MKS/USI-LS so it has lots of supplies and agriponics and recyclers and the like. Finally, it's mostly NF Construction and NF Station Parts, but the centrifugal habs are SSTU and there are quite a few Wild Blue parts as well.

2E7D2YK.png

90a8UL2.png

lyff9JD.png

BULVkKc.png

With such a large crew that will need turnover periodically due to USI-LS, I had to design a crew transport vehicle with very large capacity that was also recoverable. I did so, primarily using Wild Blue parts, including the biggest heat shield in captivity. The centrifugal habs fold for launch. It has a capacity of 77 and is fully recoverable.

AC95t9I.png

Although I keep forgetting to reset the struts I have stabilizing the shield in the retracted position, so during part of reentry I get many explosions on the heat shield to keep me on my toes, as you see here.

iSbLMXc.png

ohp6sqK.png

A version of the above orbital bus makes a great one-launch orbital station as well. This has room for 59 but only needs 9 crew (or 10 if you want to include an engineer for KAS work), and with several viewing cupolas to help, hab time for the 9 crew is over a year. For an interplanetary version you could increase that further.

When I say single launch, admittedly it's a beast of a launcher made even larger by the increased Dv requirements of 2.5x, stock scale would be easier. For this the first stage is 6 x 8m Sarnus SRBs from BDB, second stage is an 8.625m x 40m Procedural Parts tank with a 5m BFR engine cluster with 28,000kN, and third stage is a Griffon XX with around 5,000kN. So it's a very expensive launch, but with with the Stage Recovery mod and enough oversized parachutes, I recover 99% of the value of the SRBs. And the second stage booster has a probe core and batteries and a 10m heat shield and everything else needed to fully recover it, which is good as it's around 4,000,000 (dollars? Starbucks? Kerbal Purple Dingos? I have never seen a currency). So the only part you lose is the third stage.

XiJms1q.png

OTfHLmT.png

Artemis is the Mun station, Vesta is Minmus. Yes I am mixing my pantheons. Below, a very expensive huge booster recovered from space with a 5k/sec reentry speed. The ablative airbrakes are another mod, and are really useful as these big tanks want to tumble under heavy deceleration, and they also provide large braking force so you slow down much more quickly. Also as you see I have a bunch of curved radiator panels around the tank to help dump the heat it picks up depite the big heat shield. And finally it uses the Smart Parts mod which has a fuel dump valve, as you really want to dump all fuel before trying to recover something this big.

uIUTeiZ.png

Both have various science labs, lots of science instruments, and several sets of long-term experiments to generate science data for the labs. Both will have some fuel tanks added so I can science the surface senseless with a single lander, which will come along with the fuel tanks.

zP18t2G.png

The humble beginnings of my very first space station, creatively named "Alpha" ;)

All stock with the exception of some "surface mounted lights" for self illumination. Built for a contract in career mode for a station with a lab that can house 7 Kerbals, still needs a cupola to meet that crew requirement.

116Puw2.jpg
f1tq3En.jpg

Currently slightly above 80 parts in a ~101km equatorial orbit of Kerbin
IflZz6t.jpg

Edited by Aerospike

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here's the Munar Gateway Station from my current career...

Phase 1

Serviced by an orbital tug on the far right and featuring a habitation module, utility module, cupola, airlock, station core module and additional life support equipment and docking node. Currently two of the 2-Kerbal Proteus spacecraft are docked along with a 2-Kerbal lander

1sCXaEW.png

Phase 2

Serviced by a couple of orbital tugs (one is on a fuel delivery mission) and featuring an additional habitation module compared with the Phase 1 station. The station now features a 3-Kerbal lander (nadir port) and is now home to 5 Kerbals on a long term mission (Bobwig's crew is about to spend 30 days on the Munar surface in the big lander

wbelYrC.png

Mods used on the Station:

SSPXr

Universal Storage 2

Near Future Solar

Edited by facmanpob