SPACE STATIONS! Post your pictures here

tsunam1

It can move itself, so it's not technically a space station, but it fills the same role, functionally, for long duration interplanetary missions. Also it's not yet fueled up and supplied, but it is structurally complete, so meet the "Armstrong." 5k dV fully fueled, and capable of supporting it's crew for 6+ years without resupply with full saddle bags. Saddle bags can be attached along the rails below the docking arms. It is powered by a fission reactor for efficiency in the outer solar system, and has LFO verniers for orienting itself. It clocks in just shy of 100m long, and 500 tons wet. Thrust is provided by a single "Scylla" aerospike, as it is has the best thrust/efficiency ratio of all the nuclear engines I have unlocked. Eventually I plan to replace the engineering block with something a bit more efficient, but for now, 70/30 engine/craft is what I'm doing!

Of course, unfueled it's basically a very fancy orbital laboratory.

kCFAZYR.png

KSS was my first functional station, and has had a number of upgrades and replacements over the two years it's been up. Most recently replacing the entire main block with something a little more capable as my science tree has expanded greatly in two years. The very first pod I docked with it is still up there in behind the plane. The plane was my first shuttle attempt, and worked wonderfully, it's now a crew shuttle. Large fuel storage, a lab, habitation room for many crew, currently has I think 3 years of life support. Simple solar power generation and a large battery bank get it through the dark. I'll get a reactor up there soon when I need more power. The little RCS tug on bottom left is terrible. It works, but has very low EC, meaning it dies in two minutes if you don't plug it into something. One solar panel and didn't have RTGs at the time so it's horrific to use. Soon as its RCS tanks are dry I'm sending it into the atmosphere.

fnRSVJk.png

Minmus station. My second station, built by the base at minmus using EL. Reactor and solar because overkill power generation is fun. The orange tank came from Kerbin to refuel a lander before I had good fuel generation on Minmus. Station is going to get a Deepfreeze upgrade soon, hence the Glykerol. The craft in the back is my first iteration of a lithium MPD pusher tug / interplanetary transfer stage. it has 13kms in it when not attached to anything. To be replaced when I unlock lithium RCS so I don't have to carry the dead weight of RCS around. It was also built on minmus. I tend to overdo power generation because my stations are so multipurpose. I may tug an asteroid to one of them and send up a resource converter someday, so the ability to generate mass EC is only a good thing.

Z4MotFP.png

Mun station. Currently not even crewed. It was built on Minmus' surface, and sent up on a small ascent stage plugged into the back of the small 16 orange tank. Upon transferring to the Mun, I undocked that and let it crash into the surface because I hate the Kessler syndrome. Its gravity hab isn't spinning yet because it requires engineers to deploy, and the station is currently awaiting crew. The transfer vessel that did the Minmus -> Mun transfer is docked to one of the station's booms. It's an autonomous NERV pusher unit, which preceded my new lithium based tugs. Still, it boasts about 8kms without anything attached. Pushing the station brought that down to 2kms, but it got the job done easily.

LmsB0th.png

I think the next large project is going to be a Laythe station / ground base so I can colonize around Jool. Duna is cool, but Jool is cooler. I also have other planet packs, so Sarnus and Neidon are looking mighty fine too.

Edited by Immashift

48 minutes ago, Immashift said:

I think the next large project is going to be a Laythe station / ground base so I can colonize around Jool. Duna is cool, but Jool is cooler. I also have other planet packs, so Sarnus and Neidon are looking mighty fine too.

with that new hardware I'm betting station building is so much nicer :) Who cares about part count now

Just now, dave1904 said:

with that new hardware I'm betting station building is so much nicer :) Who cares about part count now

Pretty much. I have everything turned all the way up, full texture res, EVE, Scatterer, full surface scatter, three planet packs... system sort of just shrugs at my craft that would have had my old 960 slugging at 15fps.

The new PC specs were my Christmas present to myself :P

2 minutes ago, Immashift said:

Pretty much. I have everything turned all the way up, full texture res, EVE, Scatterer, full surface scatter, three planet packs... system sort of just shrugs at my craft that would have had my old 960 slugging at 15fps.

The new PC specs were my Christmas present to myself :P

My cpu is fine but I think my 970 is a bottleneck now. I am waiting for next gen I think. Not sure

1 minute ago, dave1904 said:

My cpu is fine but I think my 970 is a bottleneck now. I am waiting for next gen I think. Not sure

I'm always a generation or two behind. I can't afford top of the line GPUs and CPUs. I think it's overrated anyway. They're good, yes, but I'm more about spending efficiently. I was humming and hawing about spending $700 on a GPU as it is. KSP seems to react well to brute force hardware power though. It's interesting that my game even loads about 5x faster, and I didn't even change the location of the game. I'm actually running the game from a folder on a home network server through my 10 gigabit LAN. Main PC only has one small SSD for windows, everything else is stored on LAN. Bit of a network nut I am, but it all works, and fast.

(In Doofenshmirtz voice) BEHOLD, THE JOOL RING

bX8f6rB.png

TVDD9ae.png

(There are supposed to be docking ports on the ends of the inline cockpits, but they got snapped off after I Kerry the Krakenpus hit the "Separate" button on the ascent boosters too early)

If I can send a ring (well, two rings) to both Tylo and Laythe, then the other three are as good as mine.

Craft file here: https://kerbalx.com/Mars-Bound_Hokie/Jool-Ring-Station

On 2/10/2020 at 12:46 PM, Immashift said:

I'm always a generation or two behind. I can't afford top of the line GPUs and CPUs. I think it's overrated anyway. They're good, yes, but I'm more about spending efficiently. I was humming and hawing about spending $700 on a GPU as it is. KSP seems to react well to brute force hardware power though. It's interesting that my game even loads about 5x faster, and I didn't even change the location of the game. I'm actually running the game from a folder on a home network server through my 10 gigabit LAN. Main PC only has one small SSD for windows, everything else is stored on LAN. Bit of a network nut I am, but it all works, and fast.

dont feel like the lone ranger man . im running an i7 920 and doing fine. now granted ive got 32 gigs of ram, ssds, and a 1080ti as well. i get a pretty constant 30-40 fps running everything along with about 140 something mods. 

ram, ssd's, gpu.  takes about 20-30 minutes to load everything but once it gets going no problems. i bought this 920 new in 2008 and have had it running at 3.3 since then. 

On 2/13/2020 at 6:13 PM, Mars-Bound Hokie said:

(In Doofenshmirtz voice) BEHOLD, THE JOOL RING

bX8f6rB.png

TVDD9ae.png

(There are supposed to be docking ports on the ends of the inline cockpits, but they got snapped off after I Kerry the Krakenpus hit the "Separate" button on the ascent boosters too early)

If I can send a ring (well, two rings) to both Tylo and Laythe, then the other three are as good as mine.

Craft file here: https://kerbalx.com/Mars-Bound_Hokie/Jool-Ring-Station

LOVE IT!!! I still watch that show lol.

On 2/10/2020 at 7:30 PM, Immashift said:

KSS was my first functional station, and has had a number of upgrades and replacements over the two years it's been up. Most recently replacing the entire main block with something a little more capable as my science tree has expanded greatly in two years. The very first pod I docked with it is still up there in behind the plane. The plane was my first shuttle attempt, and worked wonderfully, it's now a crew shuttle. Large fuel storage, a lab, habitation room for many crew, currently has I think 3 years of life support. Simple solar power generation and a large battery bank get it through the dark. I'll get a reactor up there soon when I need more power. The little RCS tug on bottom left is terrible. It works, but has very low EC, meaning it dies in two minutes if you don't plug it into something. One solar panel and didn't have RTGs at the time so it's horrific to use. Soon as its RCS tanks are dry I'm sending it into the atmosphere.

fnRSVJk.png

Minmus station. My second station, built by the base at minmus using EL. Reactor and solar because overkill power generation is fun. The orange tank came from Kerbin to refuel a lander before I had good fuel generation on Minmus. Station is going to get a Deepfreeze upgrade soon, hence the Glykerol. The craft in the back is my first iteration of a lithium MPD pusher tug / interplanetary transfer stage. it has 13kms in it when not attached to anything. To be replaced when I unlock lithium RCS so I don't have to carry the dead weight of RCS around. It was also built on minmus. I tend to overdo power generation because my stations are so multipurpose. I may tug an asteroid to one of them and send up a resource converter someday, so the ability to generate mass EC is only a good thing.

Z4MotFP.png

Mun station. Currently not even crewed. It was built on Minmus' surface, and sent up on a small ascent stage plugged into the back of the small 16 orange tank. Upon transferring to the Mun, I undocked that and let it crash into the surface because I hate the Kessler syndrome. Its gravity hab isn't spinning yet because it requires engineers to deploy, and the station is currently awaiting crew. The transfer vessel that did the Minmus -> Mun transfer is docked to one of the station's booms. It's an autonomous NERV pusher unit, which preceded my new lithium based tugs. Still, it boasts about 8kms without anything attached. Pushing the station brought that down to 2kms, but it got the job done easily.

LmsB0th.png

couldn't you rotate the LKO station for the crew inside the plane to experience gravity?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is my main LKO station, originally intended for tourism. It took me six launches of my Theta 6R super-heavy lifter to assemble, and I had to use KIS to remove a bunch of ports so my PC didn't shudder at the part count. The timer already turns yellow every time I try to dock a tourist shuttle to it.

y4mBEPjij4CBaFekeXGWemim2Lgf0cgXIs3NNUok

y4mZiuW5Rt5W9lg1Wn4SiPU-B4idjepHRxoycKng

The thing at the front is my ion tug, intended to transport six tourists to the Mun and with over 10km/s Delta-V. It really has way too much lithium.

Edited by GummiRevolution

• 2 weeks later...

Mir research/gateway space station on 600km KO

My first space station built in career. With enough living space for 24 kerbals and MPL installed, it helps me a lot dealing with contracts. Also, it has 5 free docking ports, so, in some unpredictable future, I may extend it.

NJLHZuh.png

AHvZwnn.png

bd3wpdy.png

z9sIzqA.png

5Wk2fvA.png

rpN12Pq.png

VZVDdFp.png

For all you talented replica builders: I did not even try to make resemblance the real world Mir SS, I just stole the name as it fits my tastes perfect ;) 

Mun Orbital Factory from about a week ago.  Ore Hauler coming if for resupply. It's probably about 70/30 launched from Kerbin vs built in Mun orbit with Extraplanetary Launchpads. Even these photos are somewhat out of date as the station is always expanding and the ore hauler was retired this weekend for being too small and unstable on the ground.

0W7ipNt.jpgzhUpc7i.jpg

Same station a couple months ago.  The arm with the spherical tank on the end was the first component built in Mun orbit. Up to this point everything was launched from Kerbin. Since then the majority was built onsite.

B5ebNIc.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...