SPACE STATIONS! Post your pictures here

tsunam1

8 hours ago, Alien21 said:

I see a lot of nice space stations here.....hello guys just a question, I will upload later my station photo's. Is complicated try to build a space station around another planet? I have already achieved the target to build a station around Mun and Kerbin, but if I would instead build something around Duna or something else? All suggestions will be appreciated!

It’s not really that much more complicated if you know how transfer windows and all that stuff work, which I assume you do if you’re trying to build a station around another planet. You really just need larger launchers for each module to meet the increased delta V requirements. The increase in required dV really isn’t as much as you probably would think; for example a transfer to duna orbit only takes a few hundred more m/s than going to the Mun. Hope that’s helpful!

11 hours ago, Jack Joseph Kerman said:

It’s not really that much more complicated if you know how transfer windows and all that stuff work, which I assume you do if you’re trying to build a station around another planet. You really just need larger launchers for each module to meet the increased delta V requirements. The increase in required dV really isn’t as much as you probably would think; for example a transfer to duna orbit only takes a few hundred more m/s than going to the Mun. Hope that’s helpful!

Thank you!

On 10/12/2021 at 5:33 AM, Alien21 said:

I see a lot of nice space stations here.....hello guys just a question, I will upload later my station photo's. Is complicated try to build a space station around another planet? I have already achieved the target to build a station around Mun and Kerbin, but if I would instead build something around Duna or something else? All suggestions will be appreciated!

It's pretty much the same concept as putting one up around the Kerbin/Mun/Minmus system, with the added complication of making successful planetary xfers. It depends on how ambitious you are with your station design. I've tried two strategies with mixed success:

1) Build the station in Kerbin orbit while waiting for the Duna xfer window to open - you have to be sure to include a point for a big ol' Xfer stage to push the whole beast to Duna and get it into orbit. You can either incorporate the Xfer stage into the design of the station, or detach and deorbit/delete it after you're done with it.

2) Send the station to Duna in pieces, get the stations' 'core' into the desired orbit and the other pieces at higher orbits, then one at a time perform a rendezvous maneuver and build the station piece-by-piece. I like to use a 'construction bot' vehicle that is way overpowered with fuel and monoprop to move the pieces into place after each rendezvous.   

Have fun! 

On 10/12/2021 at 7:33 AM, Alien21 said:

@Alien21  In addition to all of the good stuff already posted, I wanted to add that my space stations are also refueling stations, so they are basically sticks. I would launch them into orbit with mostly dry tanks to save weight, refuel them in orbit, and have it burn to my destination. It requires a beefy engine to do the transfer, which may not be needed in the future, but it's pretty simple. The stick part does have a bunch of ports so you can also expand, as previously suggested.

If the burn time is a problem with low TWR, I'll add a stage with small tanks but efficient engines and enable crossfeed. Once everything is fueled, I'll have the engines use up all of the fuel in their stage, and then use the fuel from the station. When the burn is 95% completed, I'll disable the crossfeed and jettison the stage. This way, I can have a smaller engine on the station for capture and maneuver. Takes a bit of planning to make sure you have enough fuel for your destination, But I've managed to get to some far away places doing that.

• 4 weeks later...

Avangard long-term science/gateway/refueling station at 200 km Mün orbit

The largest station in my career so far, and the most helpful, too. 3 out of 5 my last Mün missions were planned to dock to it, either to refuel or to rotate crew and process data collected down below. Station is now considered complete, so no new modules will be added in the near future. As can be seen on pictures, there are currently two vessels docked to the station: Sputnik-3 service ship, which delivered first half of the crew alongside with Sputnik-4, and Manyovr-Avangard construction tug, which performed this station assembly.

v5RaZ8h.png

8Tz1KJ3.png

15CH6YT.png

X598Iv9.png

gePZ9wG.png

J4HDZgH.png

zJS9w1q.png

g6yr36b.png

Edited by INPrint

I recently made a station near the sun in 2.5x scale KSRSS, for getting huge amounts of power and beaming it to the outer solar system.

It took 3 (very excessively enormous and ludicrously tweakscaled) launches, 1 for the crew part, 1 for the laser, and 1 for the solar arms and docking tubes.

https://imgur.com/gallery/dvFOyBm < more stuff

zS5rz6n.png

^ docking parts 1 and 2

GVSPcpO.png

^ complete station

Wg4dIas.png

^ zoomed out to show solar panels

AvZb6wh.png

^ inspecting the deathray laser made specifically for beaming power to spacecraft

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Here's two from my old folder of lost saves. A modified design based on one of the alternatives for the ISS and an SSTO refuelling station in LKO, yes those are full jumbos, yes it was launched on a single 3500t launch vehicle... it destroyed the launchpad as it took off :cool:.

6StiDPq.png

Rb85drg.png

And more recently, MIR built using the Tantares parts.

0HQnak4.png

• 3 weeks later...

I'm feeling lazy today so I present for your entertainment: Stations in search of a name: let the suggestions begin!

In Kerbin Orbit at 300km:sNYLMBU.png

In Duna orbit, with enough dV to get back home, as well as host to a cute little lander that's been to Ike and the surface:xkOJUkl.png

And finally (yes, I know it's not a station, but a base, but I wanted to share it anyhow): nZqJcIa.png

• 4 weeks later...

Hello User,

Working on a /first/ space station of my own at a pretty decent pace. Saw this thread; decided to share the start of my progress.

o81hoT4.png

The station already features a habitat module, which I have fitted shortly after to accommodate the minimum living requirements. That is the module attached to the portside of the main vessel, it is also installed with necessary communication equipment which I have forgotten on the main vessel. You may see that it still retains its upper stage, I decided to leave it on since it still had lots of fuel remaining in the tank that can be reused later. 

The main vessel, named the SK-Osmotschrik-XN01 (random name + random digits), has its own propulsion system in the form of a big collapsible liquid hydrogen engine. So it could position itself elsewhere if mission control wanted to. That will not happen however as I am still planning to add more modules to it, including a science module once I unlock it. 

It features quite a lot of mods, but I will not be listing them, unless requested upon. 

On 2/19/2022 at 8:08 PM, DerekL1963 said:

I would like to know what mods the hardware comes from.

Hello DerekL1963,

Not sure what you meant with the hardware, but I am assuming that you're talking about the parts visible in the image.  I am playing on version 1.11.2.

Both of the two modules feature parts from the StationPartsExpansionRedux mod, possibly ReStock,  Kerbalism (life support parts), and Breaking History DLC. 

The core module has unique parts from the Missing History mod (cockpit), Conformal Decals(flags), NearFutureConstruction(structure),  and CryoEngines (engine). 

I have also used TweakScale on a few parts that weren't the right size for the ship.

Be aware that I have not listed the dependencies for the mods, as I'm sure you can find them yourself.

On 2/19/2022 at 8:08 PM, DerekL1963 said:

And a shot from the top so we can see all the modules!

A clear image from the top. Core module in the middle, habitat module below. sAEk7Cn.png

• 2 months later...

sg43pjy.png

oNz8SFH.png

This is service station 1. The station in question is beside the larger vessel, seen here with it holding position next to SS1. Service Station 1 was actually constructed in two parts by these motherships, which also carried parts for bases. Service Station 1 includes a few amnesties, like a gravity wheel and generous living quarters. It also has room for the Service lander, which right now I keep at the surface base rather than up at the base.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Made a little space station, it has no purpose, because I'm on Sandbox.

But it's a cool thing to be able to say that I made a Space Station, and even cooler to say I docked everything myself!

I might add a new module for orbital construction, though, so that's something.

Kerbal_Space_Program_12_07_2022_16_51_11Kerbal_Space_Program_12_07_2022_18_48_58Kerbal_Space_Program_12_07_2022_21_31_26Kerbal_Space_Program_12_07_2022_15_55_50Kerbal_Space_Program_12_07_2022_16_00_39

Edited by CosmicCalamity