SPACE STATIONS! Post your pictures here

tsunam1

I'm not sure if I can really submit this as a space station or not - she's technically only a single stage, but, thanks to the nuclear pulse drive, is so huge that I think she'd be out of place in almost any other thread. I'd have prefered to have been able use more panels to blend the Orion drive into the B9 parts, but had issues with clipping-based disassembly - anyway, presenting Prospero, a heavy interplanetary cruiser, currently orbiting Laythe (and doing a good impression of a space station).

H7lAet0.jpg

7BAh6Kb.jpg

WoLLwvF.jpg

aVUopsL.jpg

The cargo bays and solar panels are closed and retracted respectively when under acceleration. There's one current design flaw, namely massively insufficient amounts of monoprop. I have to be fairly conservative with RCS use when turning, and thus I can end up waiting a good 5-10 minutes for her to come about fully (but then she is around 700 tonnes).

Caliban and Sycorax to follow, and yes, I use Shakespearean characters to name my ships

I hereby present: KSS - Odin's Hall

lFVVSPM.jpg

hz16gAw.png

fo4pLdy.jpg

isrSAKG.png

It's only the core of the station so far. I plan to attach orange tanks to the 6 docking ports to the side. Also I want to dock 1 crew module on one of the other sides, and a docking and comm on the other side.

Right now it is in an orbit of 150km. But I might take it to 250km as a refueling station. Making a smaller one around this orbit for SSTO's or small ships that c

My Small new station carrying its own parts (power modules) and then assembled in orbit. I think I should name it the PIONEER KSS.

1016057_4287624168839_133646046_n.jpg

(I cant believe I circularized with a small engine xD)

Pre-assembly...

994773_4287626248891_2011203660_n.jpg

Power Module assembly......

1017439_4287627688927_1463726198_n.jpg

942558_4287627888932_1812197173_n.jpg

SUCCESS!

1003254_4287628328943_50571816_n.jpg

1000548_4287628248941_2015702148_n.jpg

Version VI of Kerlympus Station

P7bAXUd.jpg

Although you can probably see I omitted a few of the 2.5m /Senior docking ports on a some of the hexway surfaces I never thought I'd use, and well I'm really regretting that now so I might start again (take 7!).

Using Kosmos-TKS SSPP, FusTek Karmony Module and the stand-alone Docking Cam from Romfarer

The large hexways are the Rockomax HubMax Multi-Point Connector with 'rescaleFactor = 2' to make them 2.5 size, and stackSymmetry = 3 so that the side nodes actually work. If I do remake it I'll probably use the 2.5m hexways from the udk_lethal_d0se Large Structural/Station Components pack

I like to pretend I'm some giant organization whose major goals are to colonize space (think of Macey Dean's Spiritwolf Corp. if you watch his videos at all). I designed a logo (which is my flag), and built a large (and laggy) space station!

The Logo:

KerDude Inc. Exploding space things since 2012

CdQUJ7U.png

The Station:

Advertising is key to a successful business you know! (This "billboard" was inspired from whoever did that "EAT AT JOE'S" billboard).

krlgD0D.jpg

Here's a shot of the massive satellite module, as science is a key way to form good public relations, and promote investors!

k3Xmit7.jpg

Here's a nice view of the whole station.

LeEvXfE.jpg

KSS Troy is complete! (for now) Gotta love these big space station parts by udk_lethal_d0se.

QVCARX0.jpg

View from docking end, Aeneas Service Modules are blue when activated. Nav lights for incoming craft ...lol

L061Eg8.jpg

One last shot!

FZ4KJEu.jpg

Edited by LostPsychonaut

Version VI of Kerlympus Station

P7bAXUd.jpg

Although you can probably see I omitted a few of the 2.5m /Senior docking ports on a some of the hexway surfaces I never thought I'd use, and well I'm really regretting that now so I might start again (take 7!).

Using Kosmos-TKS SSPP, FusTek Karmony Module and the stand-alone Docking Cam from Romfarer

The large hexways are the Rockomax HubMax Multi-Point Connector with 'rescaleFactor = 2' to make them 2.5 size, and stackSymmetry = 3 so that the side nodes actually work. If I do remake it I'll probably use the 2.5m hexways from the udk_lethal_d0se Large Structural/Station Components pack

Lag must be a pain

I also have a very bare bones station orbiting Mun, but Kerbal Lab is a much prettier station. It is in a polar orbit that almost passes exactly over the KSC. Not sure what I will add next, but the lag beasts haven't been too harsh yet. I'm especially proud of the observation module as you can always seek Kerbal from it.

2013-06-14_00005_zps972712d3.jpg

Lag must be a pain

It's pretty reasonable on my Q6600/G0, I don't think the whole station tops 400 parts? The last version was a way over-engineered strut-fest with a mountain of fuel/RCS that it never needed, it was crippling to be near with another vessel even though it was smaller.

Launching the central module/docking-stubway was way, way, way worse than even the finished station (25 engines in 5 individual ASP blocks with 20 SRB's as well). The solar modules for example are only 17 parts i think (3 station hexways, 4 seniors, 4 balka truss, 2 rmax adaptors, 2 wings and 2 struts)? The cupola and docking booms are a bit worse